PDA

View Full Version : Rank the top players by what you believe to be their popularity in your country

-Sonic-
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Here are the top 20:

Serena Williams United States
Kim Clijsters Belgium
Justine Henin-Hardenne Belgium
Venus Williams United States
Lindsay Davenport United States
Amelie Mauresmo France
Jennifer Capriati United States
Chanda Rubin United States
Daniela Hantuchova Slovakia
Anastasia Myskina Russia
Ai Sugiyama Japan
Jelena Dokic Serbia-Montenegro
Magdalena Maleeva Bulgaria
Conchita Martinez Spain
Amanda Coetzer South Africa
Elena Dementieva Russia
Vera Zvonareva Russia
Meghann Shaughnessy United States
Patty Schnyder Switzerland
Silvia Farina Elia Italy

Who do you feel are the most and least popular players in your country?
I think the popularity of players in the UK is mostly based on who turns up to the bigger tournaments here, Eastbourne and W'don, and who does well in them. Cos its not as if we're affected much by home players biasing things.

Obviously I don't think new players like Zvonareva are all that popular as I think most people need time to get used to players. Schnyder doesn't really feature much on grass so I think she'd be overlooked, same with Farina-Elia (although beating Lindsay at EB prob means they'll know her much better next time). I think players such as Ai, Chanda, Maleeva are quite popular as even the senile old wenches that have been going to Eastbourne since the 50's know who they are quite well and they marvel at Ai in her evening doubles matches and frequently see Chanda at Eastbourne etc. Also Conchita and Amanda are well known as people have seen them around for ages and so know them well.

I'd say all the top players are pretty well known, although believe it or not I don't think they know all that much about Amelie. Only had 1 good W'don year and not an Eastbourne player. They probably know Justine more than Kim due to her W'don final and may have heard about her recent French win.

But I think in general, the more they've played and the older they are, the more the general fan will know and like them than a new or young player, no matter how talented or high in the rankings. What about your country?

SJW
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:31 PM
u from the UK right?

well here is my opinion

Anna Kournikova
Venus Williams
Serena Williams
Daniela Hantuchova
Jennifer Capriati
Linzi Davenport
Jelena Dokic (Damir of course ;) and BMH)
Chanda Rubin (i had no idea how much Eastbourne loves her)
Kim Clijsters (cos shes Lleytons gf. i see her mentioned in the papers more than Henin)
Justine Henin

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Serena Williams
Jelena Dokic
Kim Clijsters
Maria Sharapova
Anna Kournikova
Justine Henin
Daniela Hantuchova
J.Cap
Chanda Rubin

Hawk
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:41 PM
In my country it's...what's tennis? :confused: :p

Probably Anna Kournikova (she did date 2 hockey players after all ;)) then the Williams sisters and maybe Monica Seles..that's about it

SJW
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Dava:

1) no way is Serena more popular than Venus here! (are we talking about popular as in liked, or as in well known?? :confused: )

2) wtf is Venus on ur list?!

i_like_tennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:23 PM
active players (with a ranking)
Anna K....Enrique's bitch, everyone knows..
Hingis...featured in way too many commercials
Williams.....most people think they are one person
if they dont watch tennis..
"Williams who?....does the Prince of England
play tennis too?..:rolleyes:"
sad how tennis isnt as popular as it's used to be

Nemesis
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Flanders (dutch speaking part of Belgium):

Kim Clijsters
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
Justine Henin-Hardenne
|
|
\/
Anna Kournikova (for obvious reasons :rolleyes: )
|
\/
Ai Sugiyama (Kim's doubles partner)
|
\/
Daniela Hantuchova (for her legs)
|
\/
Els Callens & the other Belgians (Elke, Kirsten ...)
|
\/
the rest of the tour
|
|
|
\/
Venus (the surname Williams is a popularity killer)
|
\/
Serena (arrogant, haughty, Appelmans can't stand her ;) )

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:02 AM
I'm in Australia, and I would have said:

1. Kim
2. Monica
3. Venus/Amelie
4. Lindsay

and I'm sorry but I'm really not sure after that. They would be the most popular players I am pretty sure. Hingis was also very popular, and then there's Anna for the blokes, of course.

I'm not aware of any players that Aussie crowds actively dislike but they generally go for the underdog and don't like arrogance.

kell
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:53 AM
I'm in Australia, and I would have said:

1. Kim
2. Monica
3. Venus/Amelie
4. Lindsay

and I'm sorry but I'm really not sure after that. They would be the most popular players I am pretty sure. Hingis was also very popular, and then there's Anna for the blokes, of course.

I'm not aware of any players that Aussie crowds actively dislike but they generally go for the underdog and don't like arrogance.

In Australia, I think it's

1. Kim
2. Alicia
3. Venus
4. Monica
5. Nicole
6. Jen
7. Lindsay
8. Amelie

But I fully agree with you about Aussie crowds going for the underdog. I even know people who will cheer for young players who they've only heard of once or twice against their faves.

Sadly, Serena is not very popular, but Venus is. However, If Venus had've been the one to beat Kim in the Aus Open final, I'm sure she'd be just as unpopular.

dekker
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:23 AM
I'm from Canada and I would definately say that Anna K is the obvious favourite. She is all over the place and was definately marketed well.

Monica is a crowd pleaser and a crowd favourite because the Canadian Open was where she made her comeback in 1995 She also won 4 times in a row.. Hingis is very popular and Mauresmo is very popular in Quebec. Clijsters is a favourite but Henin is probably not as high as her. Capriati is high because of her recent results in Canada.

Serena is not popular here because of her constant last minute withdrawls from the Canadian Open. She pulled out of the Canadian OPen in Toronto to make a movie in Toronto. That's not gonna endear her to alot of people here and she isn't well liked. Venuus only played here in 1995 but she is somewhat popular but definately not extremely popular.

Jericho
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:32 AM
In the US:
1)Venus
2)Serena/Kournikova
3)No one else...

Im not being biased either, if you ask the average american to name their favorite tennis player it would be Venus...honestly probably because her name

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Yes, well Alicia and Nicole are right up there of course, but I thought we were restricted to top 20 (fingers crossed that this time next year Alicia will be in the top 20 anyway!).

It's hard to tell really except for Kim who is clearly liked. Aussies don't tend to go for obviously cocky in any sport, which I think explains why Venus is very popular and Serena is sort of take-her-or-leave-her. I wouldn't say Serena is actively disliked though.

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:41 AM
In the US:
1)Venus
2)Serena/Kournikova
3)No one else...

Im not being biased either, if you ask the average american to name their favorite tennis player it would be Venus...honestly probably because her name

LOL. Venus is indeed a great name. Actually I think Oracene Price should start a naming advisory service, she picked some great ones!

disposablehero
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:18 AM
For Canada? If by popularity you mean Q factor:

Anna Kournikova
Jennifer Capriati
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Monica Seles
Lindsay Davenport
Mary Pierce
Justine Henin
Jelena Dokic
Kim Clijsters
Amelie Mauresmo

Very few people would have heard of anyone else.

Rothes
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Switzerland: I wouldnt know the order but in likeability, it may go like.....

Anna K
Patty
Martina
Monica
Myriam

(Patriotic ;))

J_Migoe
Jul 30th, 2003, 05:11 AM
from where I come from in Labasa, Fiji, its the Williams sisters. People don't know any other tennis player except maybe for Agassi and Pete Sampras.

The only problem is most people in Fiji keep refering to the Williams sisters as the "Venus sisters". Its annoying to me. That just goes on to show that Venus maybe more popular than Serena over here

kyk710
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:56 AM
In the US (at least where I live) the average person loves "the hot but crappy tennis player" Kournikova (I think she's good at tennis though) and thinks Hingis still plays. Everyone roots for Capriati and against the "Williams twins". But nobody knows who Chanda is :fiery: Do people really like her in UK? Bc in the US she's about as well known as Tian Tian Sun

xin_hui
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:55 AM
tennis is practically close to non-existence in singapore. but if i have to rank on how well known they are..
1. the williams (most people cant differentiate them)
2. kournikova
3. martina hingis/monica seles
the rest are sadly, unknown

Becool
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:55 AM
In Brazil is

Anna Kournikova (duh.. but of course not because of the tennis subject)
Martina Hingis (still)
Serena Williams (yeah, shes more popular than Venus, because her name's everytime on the news papers, and because we surprisingly get to see her more than Venus)
Venus Williams (yeah, and specially now, shes known as Serena's older sister)
Monica Seles (yeah she's really liked here)
Jelena Dokic (specially the Bahianos.. and also thanks to Bernoldi)
Jennifer Capriati (because of her AusOpen comeback, Jennifer is still between the knowns tennis players)
Lindsay Davenport (even tho' I haven't see no fans of Lindsay in Brazil, I think she's known cuz she's been a long time on the tour, and well she consitently made GS finals and semifinals, so she could be known.. but I'm not sure.. But obivously, shes more known than the belgians)
Justine Henin (she's known because of her game and her Guga backhand like.. that's simply why and for beating serena and winning RG lol)
Kim Clijsters (believe it or not, she's on juju's shadow here)
Special mentions too:
Amanda Coetzer
Daniela Hantuchova
Steffi Graf
Vanessa Menga (lol)
Joana Cortez (lol)
and etc.. :p

Trish101
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:11 AM
CANADA-Tennis may not be #1 but people know who the tennis players are

1. Anna -not so much anymore...shes more popular for her Calendars and pin ups then her results (no surprise there :rooleyes:

2. Jennifer- now this is a REALLY hard because Serena is really popular too, but as far as popularity goes Jennifer is next to Anna, everytime i ask people "whos the best player" or "who do you know" or anyother thing conserning tennis, Jen always comes up, not only that but in a recent poll by tsn she was voted #11 out of 100 for most well known athlets outside of Canada, Anna was #2 and Serena was #17

3. Serena- and also Venus to a lesser extent

4. Martina Hingis- always a favourite

5. Monica Seles- shes a "sweatheart"

6. Martina Navratilova- the "legend" she was once the most popular woman athelet around...and people still recognise her.

7. Mary Pierce- she was Canadian born...so of course you have to add her as well (espeacially in Quebec)

8. Steffie Graff- same as Nav

9. Venus- shes a williams

10. Maureen Drake- Canadian...also took a set of Venus...

Juju_La_Terreure
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Berlgium :

Flandern :

Kim Clijsters
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Els Callens
Anna Kournikova ( for me she is replaced by Sharapova )
Ai Sugiyama ( dubbelpartner of kim )
Daniela Hantuchova
The other Belgians (Elke, Kirsten, Maes ...)
the rest of the tour ( + retired players )
Serena (arrogant, haughty )

Wallonie :

Justine Henin-Hardenne
Kim Clijsters
Callens ( but less than in Flandern)
Anna Kournikova
Daniela Hantuchova
The other Belgians (Elke, Kirsten, Maes ...)
the rest of the tour ( + retired players )
Serena (arrogant, haughty )

I think nemesis isn't far away from the just order, but i think that Callens is more popular than Hantuchova and kournikova. When callens has to play against hantu I think the belgians will support els. I also think Hingis was also popular when she played. And Seles is also respected by a lot of Belgians. I think that in the other part of Belgium it will be the samen. just one difference. first Justine and then Kim. And the reason for Sugiyama doesn't count anymore here.

Juju_La_Terreure
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:41 AM
In the US (at least where I live) the average person loves "the hot but crappy tennis player" Kournikova (I think she's good at tennis though) and thinks Hingis still plays. Everyone roots for Capriati and against the "Williams twins". But nobody knows who Chanda is :fiery: Do people really like her in UK? Bc in the US she's about as well known as Tian Tian Sun

??? Nobody knows who chanda is in the US ???
In Belgium she is especially known as a dangeroues player on the field, with a good character and a big hart. :)
And in Belgium we are all totally against the williams twins.
who is tian tian sun ???

Nemesis
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:05 AM
I think nemesis isn't far away from the just order, but i think that Callens is more popular than Hantuchova and kournikova. When callens has to play against hantu I think the belgians will support els. I also think Hingis was also popular when she played. And Seles is also respected by a lot of Belgians. I think that in the other part of Belgium it will be the samen. just one difference. first Justine and then Kim. And the reason for Sugiyama doesn't count anymore here.
Of course the Belgian public wants Callens to win, but when you ask: "Who are your favourite tennis players" there will be more people who say Anna, Ai and Daniela than Els, I think.

And yes, the Rena and Venus are not popular at all. I was almost the only to cheer for Venus when she played against Kim at Wimbledon and to be happy afterwards.

Trish101
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Id have thought Jen would make the list for the French people...didnt she win The french a few years back to TREMENDOUS french support?...doesnt make sence!

SJW
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:29 AM
KyK: yes chanda is popular here. since we dont have any of our own girls we adopt others.....Anna for her looks, Williams because we were introduced to Venus' slam debut in 2000 in the first important sister sister match and cos of their greatness, Hantuchova because.......uhhhhh......her weight generates a lot of interest, and chanda because Eastbourne is the biggest English tourney outside of wimbledon and she is two time defending champ. do u get eastbourne? during this years trophy presentation, the crowd wouldnt stop cheering her. i think she got kinda embarassed but she was charming the socks off of them so its her own fault....

LMAO at Williams being "popularity Killer" in belgium....its fun to hate people who kick ur (girls') ass all the time right?? :D dont worry i go through the same thing with Manchester United :rolleyes:

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:29 AM
I think tennis people in Aus know Chanda and probably a fair few non tennis people too, but then we are supposed to be sport obsessed!

Re Jen and France, I'm not sure that support in one match translates to long term popularity. Australians were generally very happy that Jen was able to break through for her first slam here but I wouldn't say she was an Aussie fave (though I note my friend Kell disagrees!). It's more that it's a great story, so maybe that overflowed to the French that year. Australians love a great comeback tale - eg Aussies largely wanted El Anouyi to beat Roddick at Aus this year because they liked the "older guy from Morocco plays the match of his life and beats the #1" story, but I'm not sure they'll even remember who he is by next year!!

Trish101
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:37 AM
you do like Kim though...and shes not even from the southern Hemisphere...but yeah i get what your saying...im just you knw would think that Jen would be popular in Australia And France from her wins there....and she is such a feel good story.

Anyways she is that way in Canada...and you know what they say "Canadians and Aussies....there like heads and tails...on the same coin!"...i think the queen said that...her or some other stuffy royal....what we do for our queen huh?

Come-on-kim
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Of course the Belgian public wants Callens to win, but when you ask: "Who are your favourite tennis players" there will be more people who say Anna, Ai and Daniela than Els, I think.

And yes, the Rena and Venus are not popular at all. I was almost the only to cheer for Venus when she played against Kim at Wimbledon and to be happy afterwards.
same here i was the only one cheering for Venus in Antwerp 2002 final against Justine

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Just as well I don't have to limit myself to the southern hemisphere or I'd really be twiddling my thumbs in the second week of slams (well, I could spend my time watching Suarez in the dubs, I guess!). Maybe Jen is more popular than I think, it's hard to tell, She's certainly not disliked or anything, just doesn't seem to get all that much mention.

Nemesis
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:50 AM
same here i was the only one cheering for Venus in Antwerp 2002 final against Justine
Was that because you hate Justine or love Venus?

SJW
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:54 AM
if it was me a lil bit of both :devil:

Juju_La_Terreure
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:12 AM
She's certainly not disliked or anything, just doesn't seem to get all that much mention.

I think the same in Belgium. She isn't disliked or anything. But indeed she doesn't get much attentian anymore. In Belgium it's always Kim and Justine and the Williamsen. But before that Cappie get more attention.
But cappie has a bad reputation after the relationship between cappie and malisse ( due to the fact what malisse said about her ). But most belgians doen't give much attention to that. Malisse is popular and not popular. He has no character, to many ups and downs. And the belgians are tired of that gejojo from X-man. ''Hij gooit er soms met de klak naar'' do we say in Belgium.

I_See_The_Light
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Flanders (dutch speaking part of Belgium):

Kim Clijsters
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
Justine Henin-Hardenne
|
|
\/
Anna Kournikova (for obvious reasons :rolleyes: )
|
\/
Ai Sugiyama (Kim's doubles partner)
|
\/
Daniela Hantuchova (for her legs)
|
\/
Els Callens & the other Belgians (Elke, Kirsten ...)
|
\/
the rest of the tour
|
|
|
\/
|
\/
Serena (arrogant, haughty, Appelmans can't stand her ;) )

GEES I FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR COUNTRY!!! WHO would be interested in such boring players

IN AUSTRALIA

1. Jelena Dokic (the destiny of AUS tennis)

2. Punch.. we refer to molik as that here

3. Hingis..she won so many times here

4. Kournikova

5. Clijsters (we do not like Henin at all down here)

6. Hantuchova

7. Evie DOminikovic

8. STefano look at my hair

9. Myskina

10. Seles

Come-on-kim
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Was that because you hate Justine or love Venus?
I don't hate Justine! I just don't like her much, and she hasn't got the game I love to see!

I don't love Venus! I like her a little bit, well I prefer her instead of Justine for her game because it's a powerful game!

Dava
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Dava:

1) no way is Serena more popular than Venus here! (are we talking about popular as in liked, or as in well known?? :confused: )

2) wtf is Venus on ur list?!

I think both, everyone loves Serena.

I forgot Venus, and before you ask about Dokic, because of her Dad, and this is where she made her name. More people know Dokic then Clijsters here FACT

~RedRose~
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:08 PM
how did the two aussies not say Dokic .... she is like the most popular. When Alicia won her first title there was a tiny little article about it in the paper right next to a giant pic of Jelena saying "Jelena to move to britain!!" .... the Aus media cant get enough of her .... she is definately the most well known followed by Alicia and Kim (Aussie Grl Kimmy :rolleyes:) Kim is belgium u stupid comentatours!

Dava
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:09 PM
I thought Jelena was voted one of the top 10 most hated people in Australian (sport?) along with Lleyton.

ptkten
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:23 PM
For the United States, I would say, in terms of being well known.

1. Venus, Serena, and Anna

They are at mainstream status. I think everyone in the country knows who they are right now for the most part.

4. Jennifer Capriati
5. Monica Seles
6. Lindsay Davenport
7. Kim Clijsters
8. Justine Henin-Hardenne
9. Daniela Hantuchova
10. Mary Pierce

If Martina Hingis was still playing she'd be placed right around Seles, probably higher among the younger crowd.

SerialKiller#69
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Anna Kournikova

Martina Hingis
Serena Williams
Venus Williams

DA FOREHAND
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Venus
Serena
Anna
Monica

ans
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:37 PM
GEES I FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR COUNTRY!!! WHO would be interested in such boring players

Thanx for your sincere sympathy. But we will pull through.

Whatzup
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Kim Clijsters
Anna Kournikova

fleemkeģ
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Kim
Justine
Daniela
Anna
Els

Kim is maybe still in favour but Justine is catching up on here after her good results this year, esp Roland Garros

Gandalf
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:24 PM
In Spain, the most known players are:

1-Anna Kournikova
2-Conchita Martinez
3-Monica Seles
4-Magui Serna
5-The Williams (they are seen by casual viewers as an entity, but I would say that Venus is more known that Serena)
6-Mary Pierce
7-Lindsay Davenport
8-Kim Clijsters
9-Amelie Mauresmo
10-Justine Henin

E. Blackadder
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:57 PM
1. Kim
2. Justine
3. Anna K
4. Els
5. Daniela / Ai

Brens
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Venus and Serena!

No one else plays tennis as far as where concerned, on our itsy bitsy island in the Caribbean.

Experimentee
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:21 PM
In Australia, well melbourne specifically:

1. Any aussie players
2. Anna K :rolleyes:
3. Kim
4. Monica
5. Coetzer
6. Pierce

cool bird
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Well after talking to some people in the uk here is some of the response I got
Tim Henman

Greg Redski that bloke who thinks he brithish but really most of the brithish people see him as American (even thou he is candan but hell you all talk the same) but we need all hthe helpm we can get.

That bloke who looks like a monkey who kept beating Tim in the Semi Final (i think they ment Samprass)

Then those Black girls who keep playing each other, and have that Mum with big Orange Hair. and that nutty dad who talks bollack and hold up signs. (i think they ment the williams sisters)

Andre that bloke who was marryed to Brooke Shilds. who used to have longer hair

And that about it for the United Kingdoms knowalge of tennis players

R&J
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:05 PM
In my country it's...what's tennis? :confused: :p

Probably Anna Kournikova (she did date 2 hockey players after all ;)) then the Williams sisters and maybe Monica Seles..that's about it
That sounds about right.

Anna is loved - talked about - drooled over - then the Williams sisters are everywhere here. They are very known now cause of their Grand Slam final clashes - and Monica Seles, cause everyone here knows about the incident, and how great she is of a player.

Lisbeth
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:08 AM
I thought Jelena was voted one of the top 10 most hated people in Australian (sport?) along with Lleyton.

I would be astounded if Lleyton was ever voted into the 10 most hated anything - he would not make the top 10 liked, that's for sure but people like winning Davis Cup too much to hate him that much! Maybe if it was severely limited, eg to rich famous current Australian sportspeople, but even then, there'd be a few footy players and a boxer well above him. Actually he has been getting good publicity for helping out Special Olympics and tennis youngsters and has become more liked lately, oddly enough since he hasn't been winning as much.

Jelena sure wasn't popular when she left, but I've seen a few vox pop segments where they ask if she should be allowed to come back and about 90% say yes because Oz is all about giving people a fair go, and besides her dad is mad and we should help her get away from him!

i_like_tennis
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:11 AM
I would be astounded if Lleyton was ever voted into the 10 most hated anything - he would not make the top 10 liked, that's for sure but people like winning Davis Cup too much to hate him that much! Maybe if it was severely limited, eg to rich famous current Australian sportspeople, but even then, there'd be a few footy players and a boxer well above him. Actually he has been getting good publicity for helping out Special Olympics and tennis youngsters and has become more liked lately, oddly enough since he hasn't been winning as much.

Jelena sure wasn't popular when she left, but I've seen a few vox pop segments where they ask if she should be allowed to come back and about 90% say yes because Oz is all about giving people a fair go, and besides her dad is mad and we should help her get away from him!
funny how good Lleyton is, and yet how bad his rep is,
dont know what Kim sees in him?..... :confused:

Lisbeth
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:15 AM
how did the two aussies not say Dokic .... she is like the most popular. When Alicia won her first title there was a tiny little article about it in the paper right next to a giant pic of Jelena saying "Jelena to move to britain!!" .... the Aus media cant get enough of her .... she is definately the most well known followed by Alicia and Kim (Aussie Grl Kimmy :rolleyes:) Kim is belgium u stupid comentatours!

Well, it seems clear to me that all this depends on where in Aus you live and who you talk to! However I would not say Jelena was currently the most popular - maybe the most infamous, but not the best liked. Maybe if she starts playing for Aus again that will change. I think the Britain thing got so much publicity because people were thinking "see she didn't leave because she hates Australia, she left because she's mad and permanently discontented". That's the feel I got anyway.

If you just mean who people have heard of or have an opinion about (good or bad), then sure Jelena's right up there.

Lisbeth
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:19 AM
funny how good Lleyton is, and yet how bad his rep is,
dont know what Kim sees in him?..... :confused:

That's easy. Did you see him sitting around watching her for 2 weeks at Wimbledon? He's obviously kind and loving and consistent in his support for her. There aren't many 22 year olds, let alone famous ones who are as supportive of their partner as Lleyton is of Kim.

Even though I'm a Lleyton fan, it's not that surprising that he got a bad rep - Australians generally like their sports stars to be laid back, not at all cocky and irreproachable in their good manners and sportsmanship (see Rafter, Pat and Thorpe, Ian). Lleyton hasn't always met those criteria.

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:52 AM
Well after talking to some people in the uk here is some of the response I got
Tim Henman

Greg Redski that bloke who thinks he brithish but really most of the brithish people see him as American (even thou he is candan but hell you all talk the same) but we need all hthe helpm we can get.

That bloke who looks like a monkey who kept beating Tim in the Semi Final (i think they ment Samprass)

Then those Black girls who keep playing each other, and have that Mum with big Orange Hair. and that nutty dad who talks bollack and hold up signs. (i think they ment the williams sisters)

Andre that bloke who was marryed to Brooke Shilds. who used to have longer hair

And that about it for the United Kingdoms knowalge of tennis players

you know what? i think thats highly accurate. if i had to list the ATP and WTA combined i would say

Tim>Greg>Pete>Andre>(Anna)>Williams>Hewitt

if Hingis was still playing.....maybe above Hewitt

azza
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:15 AM
In Australia

Kim :worship:
Alicia :worship:
Sam.Stosur :worship:

fried_beans
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:19 PM
When was the last time Monica played anywhere and the crowd didn't root for her no matter who she was playing? lol

rikvanlooy
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:27 PM
That's easy. Did you see him sitting around watching her for 2 weeks at Wimbledon? He's obviously kind and loving and consistent in his support for her. There aren't many 22 year olds, let alone famous ones who are as supportive of their partner as Lleyton is of Kim.

Even though I'm a Lleyton fan, it's not that surprising that he got a bad rep - Australians generally like their sports stars to be laid back, not at all cocky and irreproachable in their good manners and sportsmanship (see Rafter, Pat and Thorpe, Ian). Lleyton hasn't always met those criteria.

Shane Keith Warne : laid back, not at all cocky and irreproachable in their good manners and sportsmanship ?????

Lisbeth
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:37 AM
Very true! ... and a lot of people don't like Shane Warne at all, particularly the types who might prefer tennis to cricket! He gets absolutely awful press. But I think it's a bit different because it's a team sport, people support the nation not one player and he's offset by the likes of Steve Waugh. They're not excatly going to boo a Warne wicket though, of course.

Then again, Warne has supposedly never in his whole career turned away a kid for an autograph so I guess he's trained up a whole generation of young supporters!

PointBlank
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:10 AM
Wallons......French Speaking Side Of Beligum *the best side*

Justine Henin-Hardenne
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
Kim Clijsters
|
|
\/
Jennifer Capriati
|
\/
Amelie Mauresmo
|
\/
Mary Pierce
|
\/
the other Belgians
|
\/
Ai Sugiyama
|
|
|
\/
Venus
|
\/
Serena

Come-on-kim
Aug 1st, 2003, 08:35 AM
Wallons......French Speaking Side Of Beligum *the best side*

Justine Henin-Hardenne
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
Kim Clijsters
|
|
\/
Jennifer Capriati
|
\/
Amelie Mauresmo
|
\/
Mary Pierce
|
\/
the other Belgians
|
\/
Ai Sugiyama
|
|
|
\/
Venus
|
\/
Serena
I don't think it's like that at all!!

Mauresmo isn't appreciate niether pierce!

You forgot Kournikova! and davenport! BTW, the gap between Kim and Henin isn't that big!

AleOrtu
Aug 8th, 2003, 05:49 AM
In Australia, well melbourne specifically:

1. Any aussie players
2. Anna K :rolleyes:
3. Kim
4. Monica
5. Coetzer
6. Pierce

I was told that Melbourne is the city which more greeks (outside Greece), in fact I recive emails (to my webste) more often from Australia than from Greece. So I think that Eleni Daniilidou is really popular in Melbourne...