PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad is Nancy Loeffler-Caro and friends?

Glenn
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:25 PM
I mean, she doesn't win matches ever.
She loses matches to possibly the worst players on the tour 6-0 6-0.
She's been on the tour for more than 4 years, yet she doesn't know how to hit a decent serve, backhand and forehand?
I mean, if you look at the depth in women's tennis, it's kind of awful.
Theoretically speaking, no one beyond the top 50 can even challenge the top 10 and no one beyond the top 200 can even challenge the top 50.
No one beyond the top 500 (and these girls are bad) mean anything to the tour except when they're really talented and still young like Douchevina or Kirilenko.
So, if Loeffler-Caro loses to these and worse girls 6-0 6-0 CONSTANTLY, just how bad is she and why does she still compete?
Has anyone seen her play?
Does she miss the ball? Or does she hit it with the frame? Can she even hit the ball on the strings after all these years? Or is she actually kind of good but she's just a choker?
Thanks! :)

Lee-Waters' Boy
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Glenn,
I had the fortune of seeing her play in Scottsdale this year. Lets just say when you see someone like Stephanie Herschfield or Dewonder Davis losing 6-0, 6-0..they are bad but at least they are capable of maintaining a ralley or I even saw Dewonder hit one winner in the match I saw. Nancy is on a different level. Her first serve is worse than my second, her backhand is almost like a bad backhand volley - and this is her stroke. Her forehand is decent but I mean there is no telling where the ball will land. Lots of times her shots flew to the fence. During warm ups she couldn't feed Foretz overheads so Foretz gave up and only hit like 2. Her volley is her best shot but she has trouble getting to net.

That being said I love Nancy and would love to see her play again. Her spirit and desire to play tennis for the pure enjoyment of it is amazing.

Glenn
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Great post. :worship:

LOL@the overhead thingy. :lol:

But how come she doesn't learn, does she have a coach?
I mean, I started playing tennis like 1 year ago and I already have a decent and hard forehand and backhand.
Does she practice?
Why doesn't she change her backhand motion?
Thanks.

brunof
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:06 PM
For "bad" as they are and for as lowly ranked as they are, the bagel girls get more attention than many top 50 players on this board! :o

JackFrost
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:40 PM
For "bad" as they are and for as lowly ranked as they are, the bagel girls get more attention than many top 50 players on this board! :o

Never heard of her. How old is she? Maybe she gets better with more experience. :confused:

Glenn
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:46 PM
She's like 42 or something.

matthias
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:49 PM
i never saw her play, and most likely i will never see her.
but one is for sure

i will ever support her
she is playing because she love tennis
and not just for money or fame

controlfreak
Jul 29th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Lee-Waters' Boy, are you saying that you have seen recreational players who were better than NLC? I have seen plenty of very talented amateur players who would never even dream of playing in proper tournaments.

Just out of interest I pulled Nancy's WTA/ITF stats for the past few years:

2003: 8 tournaments entered, 0 wins, 8 defeats, total games won: 2 :eek:
2002: 18 tournaments entered, 0 wins, 18 defeats, total games won: 8 :worship:
2001: 16 tournaments entered, 2 wins :eek:, 16 defeats, total games won: 33

Her wins were 6-1 6-2 over Becky Brown (who has a similar record to Nancy) and 6-1 6-2 over Karen Fodera, another Bagel Girl.

Looking back at her results, it really does make you wonder why she keeps on playing matches at a level where she is going to lose 6-0 6-0 almost every time. She can't possibly make a living at it, and surely it is more satisfying playing in a local club league or something where she stands a chance of winning at least a set from time to time. Maybe she's a masochist. Maybe she likes to boast about the level she can 'play' at. Maybe she has too much money, loves tennis, and plays these kind of matches just because she can. By the way this is a woman who will celebrate her 42nd birthday this year, so you can't expect too much of her against today's bright young things. Maybe she wants to keep her game in top form so that, like me, when she reaches 65 she can win a veterans' Grand Slam.

You could argue that in every tennis match there is a winner and a loser, so for every player like Serena with an incredible winning percentage, there must be someone at the opposite end of the spectrum with nothing but losses. But 6-0 every time? That's just a player who is out of their league, and bear in mind that the events she enters are only $10k and $25k challenger qualifiers.

Personally I think it's kind of sad, although I can see how easy it is to get into a habit of losing, and accepting it because you were playing against stronger opposition. You soon convince yourself that it's more worthy to lose against pros than to win your local tennis club's annual tournament.

It's a fascinating subject (in a car crash kind of way), and hopefully someday we will know the answer (I would definitely buy a Loeffler-Caro autobiography if she decided to write one!)

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Jo Moore (a satellite/challenger player) said she spoke to Nancy and that Nancy truly believes she can win matches at this level. It seems a bit delusional to me. If she draws another bagel girl maybe, but that's it. I think VSFan spoke to Dewonder and she said one of the reasons she continues to play is that she senses a win coming. ONE win. That's what does not make sense to me. Alright so lets say she gets her one win in 10K qualifying. Then what? She just gets double bageled in the second round? I admire the bagel girls love for the game and feel you should follow you dreams, but they've been doing it for several years now. Time for them to face reality if you ask me. I saw Amy Dillingham play Oyster Bay qualifying a couple of years ago and shes a lot like the 3rd or 4th best woman at any local tennis club. She gets a lot of balls back, but they're very soft and are always in the middle of the court between the service line and baseline. No weapons at all, just consistency. If she trashes Nancy 6-0 6-1, imagine how bad Nancy is :eek:

JackFrost
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:36 PM
She's like 42 or something.

ooooops! :o :rolleyes:

Lee-Waters' Boy
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:55 PM
No way is a win coming for Nancy. I just don't see it. Girls from my high school tennis team would have beaten her.

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Nancy's game is really bad....I actually was a ballboy for her win in 2001 vs Fodera....Wors match I ever saw....Karen hit 2 serves in, and the rallies were not over 3 shots, until one of them missed in the fence....It was terrible but funny..

Nacy doesn,t have a coach...her husband is there with her, but I saw her practice and she asked for backahand volleys, and he is lobs in the fence lol...He wasnM't even able to feed to her...that was sad...I should have asked her to feed to her...

Well this match was good for my self esteem...I now know I can beat professionallt tnennis players 6-0 6-0!!!

Jakeev
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:22 PM
At this point all I can say is who gives a damn anymore why Nancy or DeWonder are playing pro tennis?

The fact is, they are doing what no tennis hack would dare to do and that is get their butts out on the court week after week, regardless of the fact they cannot win a game.

If it's for the sheer love the game why should we care or shake are heads? It's not are money being lost.

So I say rock on bagel girls and do what you do best..........

Glenn
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:47 PM
At this point all I can say is who gives a damn anymore why Nancy or DeWonder are playing pro tennis?

The fact is, they are doing what no tennis hack would dare to do and that is get their butts out on the court week after week, regardless of the fact they cannot win a game.

If it's for the sheer love the game why should we care or shake are heads? It's not are money being lost.

So I say rock on bagel girls and do what you do best..........
I agree, but this is not by any means a bashing thread.

GoDominique
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:15 PM
I love the bagel girls. Especially Nancy and Dewonder. And Karen. ;)

However, I admit that I have some problems with the "Nancy does it for the love of the game" argumentation.
For the love of the game, you don't have to play on the Pro Tour. No matter how good or bad you are, you can always find other players of similar quality you can play good matches against, and an even match is nomally more fun than a double bagel. For something more competitive, you can play Club tournaments or local events, or play in a league with people from your club.
If Nancy is doing all these things and the WTA and ITF events are just ADDITIONAL, then it's just great, and I would probably do the same.
However, if those Pro events are her only contact to tennis, then there must be other reasons behind it.

Glenn
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:18 PM
I love the bagel girls. Especially Nancy and Dewonder. And Karen. ;)

However, I admit that I have some problems with the "Nancy does it for the love of the game" argumentation.
For the love of the game, you don't have to play on the Pro Tour. No matter how good or bad you are, you can always find other players of similar quality you can play good matches against, and an even match is nomally more fun than a double bagel. For something more competitive, you can play Club tournaments or local events, or play in a league with people from your club.
If Nancy is doing all these things and the WTA and ITF events are just ADDITIONAL, then it's just great, and I would probably do the same.
However, if those Pro events are her only contact to tennis, then there must be other reasons behind it.
I agree here.
Love for the game includes the love for improving your game and actually mastering the skills it takes to play the game.

No coach and no additional less professional tournaments will not help her/them the slightest bit.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Dewonder is my hero ;)

Nancy is very nice too, but she is a bit odd. I was lucky enough to meet both of them, practice with Nancy :eek: (she was better than me, lol) and watch a match between Dewonder and Nancy. Dewonder won 6/2, 6/0. They are doing what they want to do and not caring about anybody else's thoughts - that I admie.

GoDominique
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Joshua, do you know whether Dewonder and Nancy are also playing at a local club ?