PDA

View Full Version : Spot the error

RAA
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:06 PM
From cnnsi.com..

Serena withdraws from Acura Classic

Posted: Monday July 28, 2003 9:53 PM
Updated: Monday July 28, 2003 10:43 PM

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) -- Mary Pierce scored an overpowering 6-1, 6-3 victory over Virginia Razzano in the first round of the Acura Classic on Monday, the same day top-ranked Serena Williams withdrew from the tournament because of a left quadriceps strain.

Williams, winner of five of the past six Grand Slam titles, withdrew Monday night because she was feeling considerable pain in her left knee due to the injury, WTA Tour spokesman Darrell Fry said.

Williams, the top draw for the event that includes seven of the top 10 ranked women, canceled an afternoon interview session because she was visiting a Los Angeles-area doctor to be examined for the injury, which originally was believed to be tendinitis.

She cited the same injury when she withdrew before the start of last week's Bank of the West Classic, won by No. 2-ranked Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Pierce, a two-time Grand Slam winner who reached a career-high ranking of No. 3 just three years ago, had little trouble in dispatching Razzano.

Pierce, whose ranking has plunged to No. 73 after three injury-plagued seasons, jumped out to leads of 5-1 and 5-2 en route to the victory.

In other first-round matches, Eleni Daniilidou defeated Rita Grande 7-5, 6-3; Svetlana Kuznetsova beat Leslie Koffi 6-2, 6-1; Magui Serna eliminated Laura Granville 6-3, 6-3; Tina Pisnik downed Paola Suarez, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5; and Marion Bartoli beat Marissa Irvin 7-6 (2), 6-4.

Primula
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Hmmm, that's a rather HUGE mistake!!!

selesrules
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:12 PM
OMG, even MarcusRock would do a better job then some of those journalists!

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Lol!

Cariaoke
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:13 PM
:lol:

wow, I had no idea we had a new #2. congrats! :tape:

hingis-seles
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Amazing how you can win a tournament without even entering it. :eek:

Berlin_Calling
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I remember reading this on Yahoo and :rolleyes:

RAA
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:17 PM
its so ridiculous! I found this article posted on cnnsi three headlines up from the one that said "Clijsters beats Capriati for Bank of the West Title". Its like they're totally not even paying attention! its disgraceful if you ask me!

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:21 PM
It is stupid, I mean can you imagine if they got Venus and Serena mixed up.

Primula
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Yeah and even that would be a big mistake!

Cariaoke
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:37 PM
well, that happens a lot of times. Commentators even fuck it up...

Serena vs. Granville at Wimby...
"Venus, I mean Serena really put a lot of spin on that ball."
It's embarrassing and very annoying, especially if one's taller than the other one, has a different hair color, clothing company, etc. But they can always tell the blondes apart. :tape:

Julian
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:37 PM
America is stupid lol..j/k..well they certainly dont know the knowledge of tennis as a lot people in the rest of the world..for example I was watching a show called Pyramid and one question to a contestant was: which big tennis tournament is played in England?? and you know what the contestant answered?? She said the U.S. Open!! Lmao!

Brian Stewart
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:42 AM
Justine won a tournament she didn't enter? Wow, she is good!

But, of course, all those blonde Belgians look alike to American writers. And Kim and Justine are practically twins. </myopia>

:)

Andy_
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:32 AM
Justine won a tournament she didn't enter? Wow, she is good!

But, of course, all those blonde Belgians look alike to American writers. And Kim and Justine are practically twins. </myopia>

:)

Ah... that's why I can never tell them apart... same backhand technique, same hairdo, same clothes, same size, same boyfriend/hubby, same language... That explains almost everything! ;)

MartinaI
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:38 AM
I don't think most Americans care about the Belgian 'sisters' (duh Jennifer!!). Therefore, who cares if they mix up their names, they probably think that if they can even remember one of them it is good!!

How stupid is all I can say!

gentenaire
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:15 AM
Aren't there about 8 players or so? Serena, Venus, Jennifer, Lindsay, Chanda, Monica, Anna and Therest.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:41 AM
Aren't there about 8 players or so? Serena, Venus, Jennifer, Lindsay, Chanda, Monica, Anna and Therest.

:lol: I've plenty of signatures of that last one. ;)