PDA

View Full Version : A_n_n_a__K_o_u_r_n_i_k_o_v_a

selesrules
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Is her injury going to end her career? I'm starting to worry. She can still be a force (she proved it last year in the California summer tournaments), but it's very discouraging to see her always injured. How serious is her injury? Anna should be right now at least in the top10 and with 5 titles including a slam. She could be even challenging Serena for the top spot, it's too bad that she never gets to play.

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:58 PM
I think as long as she rests long enough, she should be back by about the Kremlin Cup, if not then, I think she will be out for the remider of the year. WHo knows...

Im more worried about the coaching situation, I hope she doesnt go back to Alla. Anyway she knows whats best for her...

KV
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Wondering what's Olga M. is doing. Think Olga M. would be a good coach for Anna.

selesrules
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:01 PM
I think as long as she rests long enough, she should be back by about the Kremlin Cup, if not then, I think she will be out for the remider of the year. WHo knows...

Im more worried about the coaching situation, I hope she doesnt go back to Alla. Anyway she knows whats best for her...

I think the main thing Anna should work on is her serve. She's tall enough to make it a weapon. Her ground game is great, she even has a nice feel at the net, but her serve is so slow and she just basically puts in play. Whoever becomes her coach, he/she should work 90% of the time on her serve. Her current serve wouldn't stand a chance against the top players. But first, hopefully her injury will heal soon.

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:03 PM
The thing is Chronic back pain doesnt go away over night, it can stay there for a while, which is what worries me. I dont think its the end of her career, but it could but the brakes on an already haulting one.

KV
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:04 PM
IMO, Anna is better off to skip 2003 tour even if she's fit again. She really should practise on her serve, which's her weakest weapon.

Annarocks
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:24 PM
I think Anna should come back when she feels completely ready to assault the WTA tour.

I also feel she still has a LOT of Time in her hands to do something good with.

I don't like how we never know what is going on with her injuries...the agents and people around her don't really put things out for anyone to ever know about.

I don't only think anna will come back...but I think when she DOES come back she'll be back hungrier than ever, and with a clear, cut-out mission!

tazban1
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:36 PM
I think the main thing Anna should work on is her serve. She's tall enough to make it a weapon.

The sad part is that it used to be decent. It was never spectacular, but she had good pop on it and her first serve wasn't a weakness. The first couple years on tour, for whatever reason, she would serve it to the same area a lot but she used to be able to crank the serve. One of my first memories of her is of when she hit a second serve ace against Barbara Paulas, who was ranked 14 at the time, at the U.S. Open.

Mr. Man
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:51 PM
IMO, Anna is better off to skip 2003 tour even if she's fit again.
It sort of looks that way. I think it's best for her to come back in early 04'. Which she'll probably do. Get well soon Anna! :kiss:

darrinbaker00
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Here's what her agent has to say about it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=kournikovainjuries&prov=st&type=lgns

Personally, I hope Anna can make it back to the WTA Tour. If you're having problems with your game, playing her will fix them right up! ;)

billie_jean_king
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Anna knows she can never have a career like mine in 2 ways - she can never win the titles I won and she will never be as beautiful as me. On their own, they are enough to ruin anyone, but put together, it's too much.

jenglisbe
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Has she been playing Team Tennis? I know she was scheduled to play doubles...

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Is her injury going to end her career? I'm starting to worry. She can still be a force (she proved it last year in the California summer tournaments), but it's very discouraging to see her always injured. How serious is her injury? Anna should be right now at least in the top10 and with 5 titles including a slam.
You don't have to worry about the injury. If her career was to end, it would have absolutely nothing to do with her injury. She is more likely to quit with a frustration of not winning any singles title on the tour and with the conclusion that she is not that good a tennis player afterall. Ofcourse, her paid and unpaid spin doctors will spin it so that everyone will believe it that she quit b/c of some suspect injury (just like Martina). But, I am pretty sure a title winning Anna would play through injuries no matter what.

Edit: I didn't read the article before I posted the above. Anna Kournikova's tennis career may be in jeopardy after her agent revealed Tuesday a long-standing back injury may force her out of the game.
LOL. The spinners are already out.

decemberlove
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:55 AM
nakey time!

the cat
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:41 AM
:confused:

azza
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Is her injury going to end her career? I'm starting to worry. She can still be a force (she proved it last year in the California summer tournaments), but it's very discouraging to see her always injured. How serious is her injury? Anna should be right now at least in the top10 and with 5 titles including a slam. She could be even challenging Serena for the top spot, it's too bad that she never gets to play.

:rolleyes: No offense but dought she could wina slam or Challenge Serena Williams even if she was at her best

Annarocks
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:40 PM
eta psi....it is sad how some people see Anna in this situation she's in and still bash her!!

You guys are horrible....but...it doesnt' matter...I'm actually losing hope in Anna now...now I really don't think I'll see her playing tennis again...this sucks like a bitch!

Mase
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:10 PM
ESPN Article..

Agent: Kournikova needs to cut back schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SportsTicker

PARIS -- Anna Kournikova's tennis career may be in jeopardy after her agent revealed Tuesday a long-standing back injury may force her out of the game.

In the latest issue of French sports daily L'Equipe, agent Phil De Picciotto admitted that the 22-year-old ravishing Russian may be forced to dramatically cut back her playing schedule -- if she is able to return to action.

Kournikova has had a miserable run of results over the past couple of seasons and did not play at the French Open or Wimbledon due to injury. She has played just five events this year and recently withdrew from the entire summer hard-court season, including the U.S. Open.

"Considering the state of her back, Anna is unable to to feature in tournaments regularly," De Picciotto told L'Equipe. "The past six months have proved that she has a real desire to play, but even if she feels better, she is not fit enough to play as much as she used to."

The pin-up girl of tennis, Kournikova has never won a singles title on the WTA Tour, with most of her riches predominantly coming from sponsorship deals. She tried to resurrect her career in May by playing on the Challenger circuit, but had to pull out due to her back ailment.

Her best performance in seven years as a professional came when she reached the semifinals of Wimbledon in 1997. She reached a career-high eighth in the world rankings in December 2000.