PDA

View Full Version : Are the Williams Sisters injuries Karmic Payback?

disposablehero
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Because as we know, there are a good number of Williams fans who harp on and on about how the players who do 20 or more tournaments a year are all injuring/ruining themselves.

hingis-seles
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:43 AM
That has to be it! Why didn't I think of that?

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:44 AM
it's actually a blessing in disguise because their legs would be fresh at the US Open.;)

tennisIlove09
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:44 AM
No. I think they feel badly for the other players, so they become injured to give them a chance.

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Seles played too much to improve her ranking and looked what happened to her beloved foot.:angel:

disposablehero
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Seles played too much to improve her ranking and looked what happened to her beloved foot.:angel:

I doubt she loves that foot. And she played too often to catch up from the foot, not on the originally healthy foot. I think 17 tournaments is the most she has played in any of the past 5 years.

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:06 AM
she doesn't love that foot that's why she purposely injured it.:yawn:

WtaTour4Ever
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:07 AM
I just it wasn't both at the same time dammit

Lisbeth
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:21 AM
No, they haven't done anything worthy of karmic wrath as far as I can tell ... interesting point about whether playing a lot actually leads to more injuries though. It probably has more to do with game style and type of training, in my view.

disposablehero
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:27 AM
No, they haven't done anything worthy of karmic wrath as far as I can tell ... interesting point about whether playing a lot actually leads to more injuries though. It probably has more to do with game style and type of training, in my view.

I am more likely to injure myself lifting a 50 pound pail when I am out of shape than a 200 lb barbell when I am lifting every week. Baseball pitchers have seen a lot more arm and shoulder injuries since they switched from pitching every 4 days to pitching every 5. Undergoing hard physical stresses on a consistent basis is not nearly as hard on your body as undergoing them on a sporadic basis.

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Monica is a lil heavy, she has injured her foot.:sad:

gentenaire
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Isn't this the knee that got splashed with chalk from when Justine's ball landed on the line?

Lisbeth
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Yes I agree entirely. I also think though that the kind of training where a player just continually bashes the ball is going to be harder on the body than a more varied routine, even if the bashing takes place every day. I have no idea which players train in which manner so I can't apply the theory directly to V & S. I'm sure that any fitness pro (or just anyone who's done serious training for any sport!) will tell you that a lot of general fitness and flexibility training, such as Kim engages in, has to be good for injury prevention.

disposablehero
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Monica is a lil heavy, she has injured her foot.:sad:

I am aware of that. yes. But Peter Graf paid a witch just before the 1992 Wimbledon to cast a spell permanently shielding Monica from positive karma.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Isn't this the knee that got splashed by chalk from when Justine's ball landed on the line?

:haha: Good one, Tine. :lol:

*JR*
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:25 PM
So I guess Anna's injuries must be payback for all the endorsements? :confused:

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:40 PM
I am aware of that. yes. But Peter Graf paid a witch just before the 1992 Wimbledon to cast a spell permanently shielding Monica from positive karma.
at least monica had a positive weight increase.:rofl:

Diya
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Isn't this the knee that got splashed with chalk from when Justine's ball landed on the line?

:lol: :D

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Carmic justice??? WTF!!

luvmytennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Isn't this what the non-Williams fans wanted? Why should you care? I rather they be fresh for the important tournament (USO) but get at least one tune-up before than to still have those injuries going into US Open... Take your time, do it right!! I always say!

tennischick
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:15 PM
what exactly did they do to incur the wrath of Krishna?

doloresc
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Because as we know, there are a good number of Williams fans who harp on and on about how the players who do 20 or more tournaments a year are all injuring/ruining themselves.

i haven't noticed williams fans saying that but then again i don't read every thread. as a fan of theirs, venus in particular, i wish they would take better care of themselves. like seles, they rely primarily on their natural gifts to get them through matches as opposed to getting into tip top shape a la navratilova. it's a scary thought to think what if they disciplined themselves and worked with a trainer to get to navratilova's fitness level. they would dominate the tour even more. but for now, we have to settle for their half-hearted efforts in staying shape.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Is seles injuries karmic payback? I wonder what she did to be hampered for so long.

Is kournilova's injuries karmic payback? maybe it was those silly bra adds that have come back to haunt her?

What about Lucic? Is her extra pounds karmic payback?

Or mary pierce? She's been injured far more than the williams sisters. It must be something she did to cause this.

Oh what about mauresmo she's missed so many tournaments due to injury that I cannot even cout them all. Maybe its karmic payback for the french open that momo is so injured?

I can go on and on and on...

This must be the most lame thread ever. :rolleyes:

treufreund
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:26 PM
:haha: :lol:

lizchris
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Isn't this what the non-Williams fans wanted? Why should you care? I rather they be fresh for the important tournament (USO) but get at least one tune-up before than to still have those injuries going into US Open... Take your time, do it right!! I always say!

Now do you see what I mean? My post "You Williams Crities Are Amazine" was on point!

Jennifer's wife
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:44 PM
lol! funny thread!! i love seeing all these people that come and turn a tounge in cheek thread into a serious parlimentary debate!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hendouble
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:44 PM
True, Williams Critics can only prove their intellectual worth by critiquing the achievements of more gifted individuals than themselves, but by the same token Williams Fans often overstep the line into dangerous adulation of their heroes, sometimes failing to grasp the appeal of the independent Belgian sector and instead concentrating on trying to monopolise the tennis market through Williams multiplex fodder. Williams Fans buy into the merchandise and go see the cinematic tennis experience offered by this sister act, failing to heed the word of distinguished Williams Critics who recommend more esoteric tennis viewing from countries as far afield as Russia and Japan, never mind the standard anti-Williams Belgian "verite" style of tennis-making. As long as they are lured by the promise of big-budgeted CGI rallies and somewhat wooden performances, especially when the two sisters co-star with each other, the true depth and subtlety of independent European tennis will never be appreciated except by the more high-brow tennis theorists.

gentenaire
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Is seles injuries karmic payback? I wonder what she did to be hampered for so long.

Is kournilova's injuries karmic payback? maybe it was those silly bra adds that have come back to haunt her?

What about Lucic? Is her extra pounds karmic payback?

Or mary pierce? She's been injured far more than the williams sisters. It must be something she did to cause this.

Oh what about mauresmo she's missed so many tournaments due to injury that I cannot even cout them all. Maybe its karmic payback for the french open that momo is so injured?

I can go on and on and on...

This must be the most lame thread ever. :rolleyes:

Cybelle, why didn't you post this in the original threads where people spoke of karma (re: Justine's hand injury not being a coincidence), instead of in a thread where we're making fun of the karma threads?

Jennifer's wife
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Hendouble, do u perchance have a degree in film or media studies?? ;)

-Sonic-
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:10 PM
yup, definately the fans' fault.

So shut it y'all lol. :D

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Cybelle, why didn't you post this in the original threads where people spoke of karma (re: Justine's hand injury not being a coincidence), instead of in a thread where we're making fun of the karma threads?

because I dont think injuries or illnesses are funny. I bet you all were just full of laughs and screams when justine was ill at last years RG. Oh yeah that was a hoot wasn't it? Watching her trudge around the court and miss easy shots. A real belly ripper.

It just makes you look petty when you, maybe not you specifically, ridicule one player when they pull out with an injury and then not bat an eye when other players do it far more often.

Have any of you ever had tendonitis? Well if you haven't then I can tell you that it indeed can flare up when you least expect it too and takes time to heal. Someimes days, sometimes weeks. But I guess an injury is simply funny when the player you hate is injured.

gentenaire
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Cybelle, take it easy. I'm not making fun of injuries, I'm not making fun of the Williams sisters, I'm making fun of the Williams fans who were laughing at Justine's hand, saying she was 'punished', that it was bad karma, that it wasn't a coincidence.

Hendouble
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Hendouble, do u perchance have a degree in film or media studies?? ;)

I got an A-Level in Film Studies, if that's worth anything... but to be honest, I'm only sending it up because I was crap on the production and marketing side of the course. Discussions about films and spectator theory, that I could do fine, but producers and audiences? - just dull.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Cybelle, take it easy. I'm not making fun of injuries, I'm not making fun of the Williams sisters, I'm making fun of the Williams fans who were laughing at Justine's hand, saying she was 'punished', that it was bad karma, that it wasn't a coincidence.

BB i wasnt talking about you specifically only about this thread and the whole "karma" angle.

bandabou
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Someone think they will be injured by the time the Open arrives, though?! Donīt think so!!!

Hendouble
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Nah of course not, the injuries will conveniently disappear the moment they sniff out the heady scent of Grand Slam prize money awaiting them at Flushing Meadows.

gentenaire
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Cybelle, this thread as a whole wasn't intended to mock injuries or the Williams sisters. Read disposable's first post in this thread and see who he's targetting.

I can't believe I actually have to explain this, as if it wasn't obvious.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Nah of course not, the injuries will conveniently disappear the moment they sniff out the heady scent of Grand Slam prize money awaiting them at Flushing Meadows.

which is why venus kept fighting during her wimbledon semi despite being in obvoius pain? Which is why venus still played the final despite being advised by her father that she should drop out?

In fact if it was all about the money then they would be scrambling to play 30 tournaments like dokic so they could not only collect appearance fees but also a nice paycheck.

bandabou
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:49 PM

They do it because they CAN! Thatīs why! They play when they feel like it, come and beat up the field and take all the money! Kimīs played 12 tournaments, but Serenaīs won more money! Why?! īCause she plays where the moneyīs at and wins where the moneyīs at!

Hendouble
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Don't get your undergarments in a twist, I was merely postulating a slightly provocative but satirical thesis that has no firm grounding in reality. Although I do think that both of the Willies "work hard for the money, hard for the money", so my hypothesis was at least partly accurate.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Don't get your undergarments in a twist, I was merely postulating a slightly provocative but satirical thesis that has no firm grounding in reality. Although I do think that both of the Willies "work hard for the money, hard for the money", so my hypothesis was at least partly accurate.

Well imo everyone on the tour "works hard for the money" isn't this their livelihood? I would question a players integrity if they just showed up to collect an appearance fee and then blithely play a few matches.

bandabou
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Well said cybelle! If it was all about the money, wouldnīt they be playing more?! They donīt play much, because they have other interests....which is cool.

Hendouble
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Yes. Yes of course Cybelle, your reasoning makes perfect sense as ever. I was just attempting a little harmless trash-talk of the Williams sisters, in the spirit of the board and all.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:02 PM
That is the primary reason I believe they have such limited schedules. Actually I'll amend that. I believe that is why Venus has such a light schedule I truly get the feeling that she does not consider her self a full time tennis player at heart. It's something she does well like some people are mechanics because they are good with machines but it does not mean they LOVE it. Maybe she likes it but doesn't LOVE it.

Serena I think didn't play as much because venus didn't play as much. I think as time goes on she will add more tournaments because I think she enjoys it slightly more than venus.

However this year injury has dogged both serena and venus just like it has for seles, momo, kournikova and others I could name.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Yes. Yes of course Cybelle, your reasoning makes perfect sense as ever. I was just attempting a little harmless trash-talk of the Williams sisters, in the spirit of the board and all.

I know I'm just giving you a hard time in the spirit of the this board. However I would like to now announce that I am officialy on hiatus from trash talking.

Hendouble
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:06 PM
That's what annoys me slightly about the Willies, in fact - that tennis often seems like a part-time occupation to them, shunted to the side to cope with their other interests. I've no objection to players having interests outside tennis, but it doesn't look great when the world no. 1 chooses shooting a movie over a tournament; not great support for the game, IMO. I'm stating this casually, not to deliberately start a new controversy, although I'm sure it won't be long before the condemnation and criticism begins.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:11 PM
That's what annoys me slightly about the Willies, in fact - that tennis often seems like a part-time occupation to them, shunted to the side to cope with their other interests. I've no objection to players having interests outside tennis, but it doesn't look great when the world no. 1 chooses shooting a movie over a tournament; not great support for the game, IMO. I'm stating this casually, not to deliberately start a new controversy, although I'm sure it won't be long before the condemnation and criticism begins.

On this point we agree. If she had scheduled her "movie time" ahead and not have entered the touranment then I think that would have been proper. However to cite a conflict when you have already committed yourself shows a lack of respect if it was not due to a family emergency type situation.

Money was spent on promoting her attendance. People were coming because of her and to drop out for a something trifling like a tv guest star role.... :rolleyes: One word sums that up. whatever.

of couse i feel the same way about players who cite exhuastion to pull out of tournaments when they are still playing in a tournament. lindsay martina and agassi have done this before.

Hendouble
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Yes... still, it's only Canada, right? That's Serena's reasoning, I hasten to add, not mine.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:17 PM
I haven't read her saying anything remotely like that. Face it she got a tv role and opted to do that over a tournament. Bad decision in my eyes but I hardly think it had anything to do with the home country of the tournament.

bandabou
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:26 PM
The point about shooting a movie over playing a tournament is legit. It doesnīt look indeed, when the world no.1 shows so little support to the game. Thatīs my only bug with the sisters.....but problem is even playing part-time they are still better than the rest. I think that must be bugging the other players too! That the Williams can play so little and still achieve so much.

Hendouble
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Yes, apologies, I was still in trash-talk mode... I agree that players withdrawing is always irritating when it's for no good reason. Agassi does the same thing nowadays, and while it's ostensibly because at his age he can't play three straight weeks of tennis, it seems a little daft to lose in the first round of your only warm-up tournament for a Grand Slam and then still decide not to show up the following week, as he did earlier this year.

Jericho
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:58 PM
I actually think that karmic payback is the otherway around...whoever beats the williams sisters are cursed, ex: hingis, capriati, seles, etc.