PDA

View Full Version : Why do some of us call Elena D. Alyona...

tenn_ace
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:57 PM
it's ok if she'd prefer that, but I know for sure that she calls herself Lena...

Where did Alyona come from?

goldenlox
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Does Elena not want to be called Alyona?
I know of gymnasts Alyona Zmeu and Alyona Kvasha.

tenn_ace
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure about her liking it or disliking it, but her mom calls her Lena too (at least I heard it once)

kodeRED
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:31 AM
it is just our affectionate name for her...

i love u alyona/lena ... kick some ass this summer!

Arhivarius
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:51 AM
It is easy in Russian to derivatize the words and to produce short, affectionate and tender variants of the names.
Here's a few names Elena can be called by her friend and relatives: Lenochka, Lenok, Elenka, Alyonka.
:)

fresh2flash
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:53 AM
That`s a very good question, tenn_ace. I don`t know why everybody else calls her that way, but I remember when I started doing it myself. It was two years ago at my 1st interview with her. I started the interview calling her "Lena", but then noticed that she called Elena Likhovtzeva and Elena Bovina - Alyona Likhovtzeva and Alyona Bovina respectively. After that I switched to addressing her "Alyona" as well, and as far as I could see she liked that name better. Maybe I was mistaken then, but I still call her only that way. :)

saab95
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Arhivarius is quite right.
Then there're too many Elenas in tour.
Alyona, IMHO, is ideal for Dementieva.

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Well I kinda circulate between the three!

tenn_ace
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:43 PM
That`s a very good question, tenn_ace. I don`t know why everybody else calls her that way, but I remember when I started doing it myself. It was two years ago at my 1st interview with her. I started the interview calling her "Lena", but then noticed that she called Elena Likhovtzeva and Elena Bovina - Alyona Likhovtzeva and Alyona Bovina respectively. After that I switched to addressing her "Alyona" as well, and as far as I could see she liked that name better. Maybe I was mistaken then, but I still call her only that way. :)

thanks for your honesty, fresh2flash... I thought we should blame you for that ;) :lol:

ys
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:36 PM
After that I switched to addressing her "Alyona" as well, and as far as I could see she liked that name better.

I also like that. It is like someone from Russian fairy tales..

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:31 PM
i hadn't called her Alyona before fresh started it off.
it was always Lena
but too many (E)Lena's around so Alyona stuck
i find Alyona easier to type somehow as well :o

never called her by Alyona though.
in matches-she's always Lena when i'm watching.

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Yeah to me Elena Bovina is Lena, and Elena D is Alyona. I call her Elena when I cheer her on.

vaiva
Jul 29th, 2003, 07:50 PM
I also like that. It is like someone from Russian fairy tales..

Spot on :kiss:

She's the dearest of all Elenas' to me ;)

AKTW
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:07 AM
I think Alyona is a beautiful name as well as Elena.So,never mind. :)

tenn_ace
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:45 PM
ok, whether we like it or not, but Elena is Lena... that's what she prefers :bounce:

now we know for sure, thanks to saab95

fresh2flash
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:26 PM
I don`t care. I`ll keep on calling her Alyona :angel:

Aya
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Yeah to me Elena Bovina is Lena, and Elena D is Alyona. I call her Elena when I cheer her on.

Nah, when I cheer, I just go "Go Dem! Go Bov! Go Lik!" :lol: ;)

It's too confusing to remember who I've callled Alyona, Lena, and Elena...so Dem, Bov, and Lik are fine with me. :D :lol:

My parents do find it strange when they see hear me in my room, yelling out "Lik! Lik! Go, go Lik!"

:lol:

Cassius
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:35 AM
I call her Elena. I went through a 'phase' of calling her Alyona, but that only lasted about a month.
It just doesn't seem natural.
There's a girl in my media class called Yelena, and I call her Lena because I'm lazy, but Elena D is Elena.