PDA

View Full Version : Serena may pull out of Acura Classic!

DannerCal
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Just saw this on sports.yahoo.com:

Williams, the top draw for the $1 million event, may be on the verge of pulling out of the tournament. Williams canceled an afternoon interview session because she was being examined by a Los Angeles-area doctor for tendinitis in her left knee, according to the WTA Tour.

Williams cited the same injury when she withdrew from last week's Bank of the West Classic.

Hope Serena plays!!

Mase
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Just saw this on sports.yahoo.com:

Williams, the top draw for the $1 million event, may be on the verge of pulling out of the tournament. Williams canceled an afternoon interview session because she was being examined by a Los Angeles-area doctor for tendinitis in her left knee, according to the WTA Tour.

Williams cited the same injury when she withdrew from last week's Bank of the West Classic.

Hope Serena plays!!

:eek:

DannerCal
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Since she has a few days to rest - hopefully she will play!
Jennifer was also suppose to be examined, (her shoulder), but she thinks she will be fine for the event.

Nemesis
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Please Serena!!! Let there be at least a fight for the number 1 spot (although: easier semi for Justine ;) ) . But if she can't, she can't. She can't break her leg just to maintain her number 1 position.

I hope she plays ... Or at least tries to play if it is not that bad ...

Ryan
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Get well Serena :sad: I'm salivating over a possible Serena/Kim final.

*JR*
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Rena, don't force it girl (esp. because tournament owner and not-even-has-been 70's player Raquel Giscarfe (sp)? is a total bitch. ;) Manhattan Beach will be lovely next week... :D

darrinbaker00
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:08 PM
With that cakewalk draw Kim has (again), she should be shot if she doesn't make it to the final. ;)

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Serena:rolleyes: Kim definately deserves no. 1. Serena may be the more talented player, but Kim does her job. Kim shows up to support tournaments week after week. Kim prooves that she is a great player week after week. Kim manages to get through to the finals and win titles almost every single tournament. Serena does it just 11 or 12 times a year. Sorry, but that is way too limited of a schedule. While 20+ is also quite ridiculous, this is her job, like it or not, and she needs to show up to AT LEAST 15 tournaments a year IMHO if she really wants to have that number one.

darrinbaker00
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:14 PM
I just checked the Yahoo Sports site, and I didn't see anything on Serena possibly pulling out. I think we're being bamboozled, boys and girls..... ;)

"Topaz"
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Went to http://sports.yahoo.com/ten and sports.yahoo.com, couldn't find the article! :o

DannerCal, could you please post the article?

fried_beans
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Get well Serena :sad: I'm salivating over a possible Serena/Kim final.

But would we get to see it? :confused:

Tratree
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:50 PM
I'm not Dannercal, but here is an article about it. Serena ain't showing up...I'd bet money on it:

Tennis-Serena set for scan on injured knee

CARLSBAD, California, July 28 (Reuters) - World number one Serena Williams is due to have an MRI scan on her injured left knee in Los Angeles later on Monday, her father and coach Richard has told the WTA Tour.

The Wimbledon champion is the top seed at this week's Acura Classic and failed to appear on Monday morning for a scheduled press conference here.

She pulled out of last week's Bank of the West Classic in Stanford, California because of pain in her left knee.

Williams, who has a first-round bye, is scheduled to play Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova in the second round, probably on Wednesday.

American Alexandra Stevenson pulled out of the Acura Classic on Monday because of a shoulder injury.

07/28/03 19:21 ET

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Hurley
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:00 AM
And here is the link that y'all missed on Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-carlsbad&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mr. Man
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:10 AM
:sad: :sad:

I really want Serena to play. But I don't want her to make the injury worse. If she does in fact withdraw, it's understood. Get well soon Serena. :kiss:

Tennisace
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Kim always gets cakewalks because she rolls over everyone that PLAYS :D

bandabou
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Get well babygirl! Go play and show who´s no.1!

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:01 AM
great shes still injured. injuries are so frustrating. to hell with all injuries!

Fingon
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:26 AM
karma is a bitch

Mr. Man
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:34 AM
karma is a bitch
The ironys not gonna work. sorry.

Hulet
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:51 AM
How come we never hear of serena pulling out of movie shoots or parties but only tournaments? And why did she wait all this time to get the MRI? She had had a whole week free. :rolleyes:

Anyways, get well soon serena and don't play if you are injured.

AjdeNate!
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:54 AM
According to Yahoo....she's is out for sure.

AjdeNate!
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:58 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-carlsbad-williamswithdraws&prov=ap&type=lgns

July 28, 2003
CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) -- Serena Williams withdrew from the $1 million Acura Classic on Monday night because of tendinitis in her knee.

Williams, the world's No. 1 ranked player and winner of five of the past six Grand Slam titles, pulled out of the tournament due to recurring pain in her left knee, WTA Tour spokesman Darrell Fry said.

Williams would've been the top draw for the event that includes seven of the top 10 ranked women. She canceled an afternoon interview session because she was seeing a Los Angeles-area doctor.

The injury also forced Williams to withdraw before the start of last week's Bank of the West Classic at Stanford. She has not played since her three-set win over sister, Venus, at Wimbledon in July.

Venus, the fourth-ranked player, previously pulled out of this tournament because of a stomach injury.

ToeTag
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:04 AM
But would we get to see it? :confused:
:) Yes.The semi's and final will air on WTSN.

Mr. Man
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:06 AM
:sad: :sad: Damn tendinitis. Most likely she'll pull out of LA too. Get well soon Ree!

Jarrett
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:08 AM
From yahoo.com:

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) -- Mary Pierce scored an overpowering 6-1, 6-3 victory over Virginia Razzano in the first round of the Acura Classic on Monday, the same day top-ranked Serena Williams withdrew from the tournament because of a knee injury.

Williams, winner of five of the past six Grand Slam titles, withdrew Monday night due to ``reoccurring pain'' in her left knee, WTA Tour spokesman Darrell Fry said.

Williams, the top draw for the event that includes seven of the top 10 ranked women, canceled an afternoon interview session because she was visiting a Los Angeles-area doctor to be examined for the injury, which is believed to be tendinitis.

She cited the same injury when she withdrew before the start of last week's Bank of the West Classic, won by No. 2-ranked Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Pierce, a two-time Grand Slam winner who reached a career-high ranking of No. 3 just three years ago, had little trouble in dispatching Razzano.

Pierce, whose ranking has plunged to No. 73 after three injury-plagued seasons, jumped out to leads of 5-1 and 5-2 en route to the victory.

In other first-round matches, Eleni Daniilidou defeated Rita Grande 7-5, 6-3; Svetlana Kuznetsova beat Leslie Koffi 6-2, 6-1; Magui Serna eliminated Laura Granville 6-3, 6-3; Tina Pisnik downed Paola Suarez, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5; and Marion Bartoli beat Marissa Irvin 7-6 (2), 6-4.

===============

Idiots!

Cam'ron Giles
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:13 AM
karma is a bitch

Hi Karma... :wavey: ...ya bitch (geez, I thaught your name was Fingon :confused: )

Mase
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Whats this do to Jennys' draw??

lizchris
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:17 AM
I just checked the tournament website; she is still in the draw.

ys
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:19 AM
If Serena doesn't play Acura and LA, and Kim wins Acura, she is, barring a big bunch of upsets, #1 in two weeks time.

AjdeNate!
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Everyone will stay the same - a Lucky Loser will take Serena's place in the 2nd round v. Kuznetsova.

"Topaz"
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:20 AM
That's it then. Both Serena and Venus are nursing injuries God knows till when! Cappy is not exactly well, neither is Davenport. So, what kind of Summer is this for the key power players? :(

Kim, welcome to the #1 club.

Geez!

Russianfan
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:20 AM
she is out...confirmed by the WTA

Mase
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Everyone will stay the same - a Lucky Loser will take Serena's place in the 2nd round v. Kuznetsova.

I guess more what I was asking is who is her 'potential' quarter final match up going to be with now...... :kiss:

Russianfan
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Meilan Tu takes her place

AjdeNate!
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:23 AM
LL or Kuznetsova or Pratt or Bovina or Maleeva or Molik or Hayes. :wavey:

AjdeNate!
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:24 AM
GO Meilen!!! ;)

Mase
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:25 AM
LL or Kuznetsova or Pratt or Bovina or Maleeva or Molik or Hayes. :wavey:

Thank you Seles!!! :wavey:

bandabou
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:25 AM
I hate to say this as a Serenafan but she has only herself to blame for losing the no.1 ranking. How can she be seen fully healthy when partying and the next time she´s injured?! I´m afraid she´s falling to the same habits when she first won the Open.....promptly pulling out of tournaments and stuff. If Serena doesn´t wanna play... well, than Kim´s the deserved no.1

AjdeNate!
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Thank you Seles!!! :wavey:
Anytime sweets! :kiss:

Dawn Marie
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Serena did the right thing. I had hoped she would pull out. Good on you Serena.

#1. Why risk further injury and a early loss in a tourney?

#2. The US Open is right around the corner, she's been #1 and won so many slams, why fret over this tourney?

#3. With Kim's cakewalk draw and her topheavy draw why bother? Let Kim play and Serena rest her body.

#4. Let Kim get the hollow #1 and have all the pressure and points on Kim's back( a slamless contender).

#5. Show Acura that if they want to give Kim this cakewalk draw and practically give her this title that why should she play and risk further injury to herself?

#6. Rest up and kick ass where it truely counts to all the WTA TOUR. Win your #7 grandslam.

Tratree
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:24 AM
#5. Show Acura that if they want to give Kim this cakewalk draw and practically give her this title that why should she play and risk further injury to herself?

Honestly, I wonder if people really understand how they do draws or if they're just so paranoid they see injustice everywhere. The WTA, tournament director and a player representative are there. The player usually is the one pulling the names or seed numbers from a bag to fill out the draw. There's no hocus pocus...no backroom fix. That's why the call it the LUCK OF THE DRAW. :banghead:

Hurley
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Wonder no longer.

Fingon
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:26 AM
The ironys not gonna work. sorry.

works for me

Fingon
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Honestly, I wonder if people really understand how they do draws or if they're just so paranoid they see injustice everywhere. The WTA, tournament director and a player representative are there. The player usually is the one pulling the names or seed numbers from a bag to fill out the draw. There's no hocus pocus...no backroom fix. That's why the call it the LUCK OF THE DRAW. :banghead:

stop wondering, they don't

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:35 AM
my god she is hurt more than monica seles and momo and anna combined!

Well not really. OH well get well soon rena.

Though she should not have withdrawn from toronto because of a freaking acting gig. Thats just bad bad bad.

katrientje
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:42 AM
:-( Serena
A pity for the tournament and the competition.
Get better Serena!

persond
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:44 AM
I hate to say this as a Serenafan but she has only herself to blame for losing the no.1 ranking. How can she be seen fully healthy when partying and the next time she´s injured?! I´m afraid she´s falling to the same habits when she first won the Open.....promptly pulling out of tournaments and stuff. If Serena doesn´t wanna play... well, than Kim´s the deserved no.1

And you, my "friend", sounds like a "fan" Serena really doesn't need...!!! And, why in hell are you so worried about the No.1 ranking...??? Serena is winning the Slams, so let anyone who wants it, be No.1...!!!! Why in hell is that so hard a concept for you to grasp...??? Serena has/is been No.1..."been there, done that"...!!!! So, she couldn't give a rats azz about the No.1 position anymore. Will it get her more money at the tourneys???? Will it guarantee her wins over lesser opponents???? What's the "shit" with everyone wanting her to be No.1...???Serena knows she is the best...ergo, she doesn't need a computer ranking to tell her that...!!!

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:46 AM
smart decision Ms. Serena:worship: Let 'em collect ranking points whilst collect the GS titles for yourself.;)...get well soon.:kiss:

BigTennisFan
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Actually this is a godsend for the people who don't like the Williams sisters' style of play.
:p

Just think, no Venus or Serena in the pre USO hardcourt season.
This will give those who are clamoring for no Williams final something to cheer about and it should definitely help the ratings of the WTA tournaments. :bounce:

And best of all, the other girls have a chance to win something. :kiss: :angel: