PDA

View Full Version : US Open WildCards as they will be

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Here is the list of players that are getting the WC's...the list is pretty much set...the only people in dispute are Kirkland over Ally for the MD WC :eek: and a few people are very against Bea getting one
This is pretty much classified info at the moment (a secret Mole leaked it) and thanx alot ;) :angel:
just hope my mole doesn't end up like Dr David Kelly :sad:

Players Below (MM/DD/YY)
Main Draw
Carly Gullickson 11/26/86
Bea Bielik 11/28/80
Bethanie Mattek 03/23/85
Jessica Kirkland 11/10/87
Shenay Perry 07/06/84
Amber Liu (NCAA) 07/06/84
Nationals (next week in San Jose)
Corina Morariu 01/26/78 (deciding who will get it if she is not healthy)

Qualies
Jewel Peterson 10/07/81
Ally Baker 04/10/86
Jamea Jackson 09/07/86
Angela Haynes 09/25/84
Alexandra Mueller 02/14/88
Shadisha Robinson 07/15/85
Kelly McCain 03/18/83
Kristen Schlukebir 06/28/84

alternates
Cory Ann Avants 01/22/85
Tanner Cochran 08/03/84
Alexandra Podkolzina 02/09/85
Alyssa Cohen 11/19/82
Diana Ospina 07/04/77
Milangra Morales 12/09/81
Shikha Uberoi 04/05/83
Nationals Runner Up

Hurley
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:35 PM
:eek: Eggy, come on...you know you want to tell us where you got this info ;)

Well, looks like it should...except Kirkland is a big surprise :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:43 PM
:eek: Eggy, come on...you know you want to tell us where you got this info ;)

Well, looks like it should...except Kirkland is a big surprise :eek:

I would if i could but i'd be chased all over like Andrew Gilligan :p :p

me suprised about Kirkland ahead of Ally too but as its still in dispute, things could change.

i_like_tennis
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:59 PM
I would if i could but i'd be chased all over like Andrew Gilligan :p :p

me suprised about Kirkland ahead of Ally too but as its still in dispute, things could change.
how about the junior winner from last yr, Maria K,
does she rank high enough to get into the qualies?
for the last 10 years, there has only been 4 WC making 3R,
and the next yr, those 4 just fall apart....
love to see how these will do, and is it me,
or have these WC's compared to last yr been "de-aged"?..:)
good luck to all..:D

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Maria Kirilenko will easily make the US qualies as she's ranked 205 this week so is well inside the cut-off.

sartrista7
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:10 PM
I'm surprised at Kirkland over Ally, but only because Baker seems to be a USTA darling... off my hazy memory, I think Kirkland's done better this year. Vaguely surprised at Mueller for qualies.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:17 AM
I like Ally and everything, but Jessica is much more deserving between those two.

Randy H
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:41 AM
well, i predicted well on the maindraw, only thought Kirkland would be in qualies and Lee-Waters or Tu might get it instead.

not surprised by Peterson, Baker, Haynes, or Robinson in qualies, thought Cochran might sneak one too, or Kops-Jones. A bit surprised Mueller got one, and Jackson hasn't done much in a while to really warrant one IMO but I like her so it's all good ;)

brunof
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Pfff. I hope to god that Meilen makes it through Qualies and into the maindraw. A bit upset that Rao didn't get a WC into the maindraw. :rolleyes: Go Sunitha. Give them a taste of their own medicine! :mad: :bounce:

azza
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:56 AM
Will Samantha stosur be accepted into quallies her ranking stands at 143?

selesfan1
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Really surprised on Mueller getting it instead of like Teryn Ashley or someone like that. I hope that Brooke entreed nationals and that she will at least make the finals.

brunof
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Yep Azza. Cutoff is lower.

spiceboy
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:21 AM
I can't believe Sunitha didn't get a MD WC :mad:

i_like_tennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:40 PM
funny how they are running out people
to give WC's to......:D....oh well.....:)

King Aaron
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Can anyone remind me what Bielik has done this year?

whiteplains
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Bea hasnt done shit and she doesnt deserve one...but whatever...

I aint mad at Jessica getting it over Ally...Ally has had her chances...

No way Sunitha was going to get a WC given how vocal she has been against the USTA...

The only one I'm upset about is Teryn...she has been steadily improving over the last year and I think the USTA should acknowledge that...I know the WC's are for young players...but Teryn has never had any help from anyone and it would ne nice to see her get a chance for once :sad:

Randy H
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Bielik at least qualified for Wimbledon this year, so she showed she can go through qualies on her own merit.

I can't see her defending her 3rd round at the Open, but given the points she has to defend I think she deserves a shot anyway.

Definitely a shame Rao wasn't given a WC, but there was never any hope given her relationship with the USTA.

I will be interested to see if Robinson, or Baker will try and win the Nationals and get themselves a maindraw WC instead of their qualy spot.

whiteplains
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Randy...I dont even think Ally is playing Nationals...she is always whining about the AER but she doesnt play Juniors full time...

Martian KC
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Jessica has done better this year than Ally.:o She deserves it more.

They should've left Bea in the qualies, but she has points to defend at the US Open.

Too bad Cory Ann won't get one.:(

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:04 PM
next weeks USTA Nationals
players list (http://www.ustagirls.org/players.htm)

its not got that many big names in it
me hoping for Whitney Deason to take it, she was runner up last yr to Sasha Podkolzina

others there to look for
Krysty Marcio
Mary Gambale
Lolita Frangulyan :)
Theresa Logar
Megan Falcon
Lindsay Nelson
and Julia Cohen :o

sartrista7
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Lauren Albanese is in that list... is it my imagination, or did I once read an article which said she was very good?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Jamea hasn't done shit this year save for one or two good 10K results. Mueller has done less. Why are they getting WC's to qualifying? Cory Ann hasn't had the greatest results this year, but she did have a few good results in challengers earlier in the year. Tanner Cochran is steadily improving this year as well. If I were the USTA, I'd switch those two.

As far as Bea goes, she hasn't lived up to the promise she showed in Flushing last year, but she did qualify for Wimbledon and is a native New Yorker, so that always helps. She was one of the big stories last year as well so I'm not too surprised she got one.

I'm very annoyed Mashona Washington will not get a WC to help defend her 2nd round points from last year :mad:

Monica_Rules
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Nice to see the USTa offering WC's to players from foregin countries!

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:04 PM
WOW thanks Eggy.

All american...

GOUSAJUNIORS
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:12 PM
If i was the USTA I would do this
1. Carly Gullicson
2. Jessica Kirkland
3. Ally Baker
4. Amber Liu
5. Shenay Perry
6. Bethanie Mattek
7. Nationals champ (which could possibly be robinson opening up another qualies spot)
8. Corina but if not healthy maybe Shadisha

Qualies if there smart theyll leave Bielik in qualifying she needs pts and this will help her and if they realize Angela Haynes will get into qualies based on her rank. Opening up another qualies spot and 1 more maindraw which id probably give to shadisha if corina isnt healthy. So depending on if Shadisha pulls of nationals which i wouldnt doubt she could be a big help to some girls
1 Jewel Peterson
2. Jamea Jackson
3. Tanner Cochran
4. Cory avants
5. Alexandra Mueller
6. Kelly Mccain
7. Kristen Schkulbir (i dont get why she would get a wildcard over tanner. tanner has actually had a few decent results and i think has always beat her) Wake up USTA
8. id go with usa runner up for last spot hopefully FALCON or COHEN but shes been suxin lately
Alternates
1. Lauren Kalvaria
2. Raquel Kops Jones
3. Alexandra Podkolizna
And as far as wildcards go the i think the usa besides for the grandslam is way more generous with wildcards than most countries. If you need an example Jancovic or shui peng so stop usa bashing. no one is lookin out for are juniors i havent seen Ally baker Ashley Harkelroad or Tanner cochran gettin wildcards overseas like the russians and these youngsters
I think theres plenty of talent alot lesser talent gets wildcards at wimbledon ausopen and french thats for sure

whiteplains
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Mueller and Jamea havent done much but they are young players and I can understand the USTA's thinking there...

I'm asked about Corina and Carly getting a Wimby WC and that had to do with IMG and not the USTA...obviously IMG is going to return the favor to the British girls at some point...I hope its in training at Nicks camp and not WC's ;)

GOUSAJUNIORS
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Can someone confirm if Angela Haynes would get in. The way i see i think she is either 1 or 2 on the next in list. Do you think the usta even realized. because after mattek and perry get wildcars shed be in im sure

GOUSAJUNIORS
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:48 AM
bump

Hurley
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she'd be able to get in without the wild card, eventually, now that they've re-ordered the Next In lists based on the new rankings.

BK4ever
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:10 AM
If Angela gets in on her own..then her spot will just go to one of the alternates...

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:16 AM
If Angela gets in on her own..then her spot will just go to one of the alternates...

Hey BK, quick question about the alternates...is that alternate list purposely in that order (i.e. is Cory Ann Avants next in line for a qualy WC, followed by Cochran, Podkolzina, etc) or is that just coincidence?

BK4ever
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Hey BK, quick question about the alternates...is that alternate list purposely in that order (i.e. is Cory Ann Avants next in line for a qualy WC, followed by Cochran, Podkolzina, etc) or is that just coincidence?

The list is not in any order...I wish it was...I hope Cory Ann can get in...

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Me too :sad: She always seem to bring her A game to Flushing..such a charmer too :)

BK4ever
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Yeah..I love Cory Ann's spunk...

GOUSAJUNIORS
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Well if they look at recent results Avants beat Cochran. in a close 3 setter in louisville qualies and got to the 2nd rd qualies last yr and 3rd round qualies the year b4

GOUSAJUNIORS
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:23 AM
ANY NEWS ON THE MENS wildcards.
im sure
1. Michael Chang
2. Brian Baker
3. Brendan Evans
4. Amer Delic Ncaa Champion
5. Jeff Morrison even those he has suxed since wimby last yr or maybe a resurgent Salzenstein
6. Maybe Bob Bryan
7 usta 18 winner
8. Alex Bogomolov
maybe Robert Kendrick in here
for qualies not sure who theyll go with
1. Mike bryan
2. Chris kwon
3. Bobby reynolds
4. Todd widom
5. Wayne Odesnik
6. scott oudesma
7. Josh Goffi
8. Phillip King
probably am way off someone else clue me in maybe Rajeev Ram

GOUSAJUNIORS
Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:29 PM
bump any news?

Becool
Aug 2nd, 2003, 11:22 PM
yay! shenay! u deserve it!
go shadisha, jamea and angela on qualies!

Martian KC
Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:16 AM
I think they'll give one to Alex Kuznetsov for qualies.

Chris_G
Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:56 AM
My main draw hunches on the men's side...

1) Michael Chang
2) Amer Delic
3) USTA 18's winner
4) Brian Baker
5) Alex Bogomolov, Jr.
6) Robert Kendrick (young, talented, ranked around 125)
7) Bob Bryan (probably clinched it with good showing against Roddick this week)
8) Thomas Blake (diversity, name recognition, local interest, etc.)

Jeff Salzenstein deserves one for the roll he's been on lately, but the USTA doesn't exactly bend over backwards for little known 29-year-olds. He was "player of the week" on their web site, though, so maybe there's hope.

nkoth
Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:34 AM
Poor Sunitha -- she isn't the one who's been vocal against the USTA, it's her father -- she's just getting dragged along for the ride...

An American hovering around 150-160 that is under the age of 18 --> come on, that should be an automatic main draw WC!

-neil

paul_masterton
Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:32 PM
omg rofl. The LTA are fuming from what i've heard.

IMG convinced them to give WC's to Corina and Carly, and it was presumed (quite rightly) that there would be an exchange. Hmm, well that happened.

I always find it funny, there are always complaints about Wimbledon giving lots of WC's to Brits, usually from Americans. This year teh USTA has outdone itself and awarded 0 wild acrds to foreginers out of 16.

Wimbledon gave WC's to 6 foreigners:

Sharapova
Morariu
Stosur
Kirilenko
Gullikson
DellAcqua

Experimentee
Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Those WC's seem reasonable to me, except Sunitha should have got a main draw WC! They should award them on merit and not on petty grudges!
What exactly did she say about the USTA anyway, I've got no idea?

I think US Open doesnt normally give WC's to foreigners coz they have so many worthy players to give them to, while Britain doesnt have as many worthy players, so they have to go on to foreigners. Those foreigners that Wimby gave WC's to were much more deserving that the Brits who keep getting them and losing in the first round.

GOUSAJUNIORS
Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:37 PM
Give me a break man theirs about 15 usa players that arent gettin wcs that should before the next brit

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:45 PM
OK Carly qualified for Wimbledon, she didn't get a WC.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:47 PM
Carly got a WC into qualies at Wimby
Wimbledon gave a WC to Douchevina not Kirilenko
Vera as junior champ automatically receives one, Masha didnt need one, she got in straight.

US Open would have HAD to given Maria Kirilenko a qual WC if she was outside the cut-off as she won last yrs Juniors but its not required.

GOUSAJUNIORS
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:37 AM
BUMP sorry just anxious for news

Darran
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:12 AM
*sight* typical Americans, hopefully the LTA will have learned their lesson and wont give any wildcards to any undeserving yanks in the future years.

GOUSAJUNIORS
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM
us tournaments give more wild card to foreigners than any other countries tournaments

i_like_tennis
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:14 PM
us tournaments give more wild card to foreigners than any other countries tournaments
dead wrong........try Wimbledon.....

selesfan1
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:34 PM
i_like_tennis, Miami gave Tatiana Golovin France, Maria Sharapova Russia, Shuai Peng China, Jelena Jankovic Yugoslavia, Gisela Dulko Argentina, and Marie -Eve Pelletier Canada wil cards into either qualifying or main draw.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:37 PM
i_like_tennis, Miami gave Tatiana Golovin France, Maria Sharapova Russia, Shuai Peng China, Jelena Jankovic Yugoslavia, Gisela Dulko Argentina, and Marie -Eve Pelletier Canada wil cards into either qualifying or main draw.

those events aren't run by the USTA
IMG events always give WC to their OWN players.

the US Open is thats ONE big difference

Wimbledon by the AELTC, although WC's some of them given out by LTA
French Open by FFT
Australian Open by Tennis Australia.

selesfan1
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:43 PM
While wimbledon gave Morariu,Gullickson, Stousour, Douchevina,Dellacqua wild cards

GOUSAJUNIORS
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Yeah Morariu out of respect for her situation not because shes an american prospect. they have agreements with the other countries well i guarantee there wasnt one made with the us. they prob offered the lta a big sum to get carly in and their greedy so they took it. Look at La this week Saori Obata and Mary Pierce. IM glad the Us open and usta are wise enought to take advantage of their control. deal with it

whiteplains
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:54 PM
omg rofl. The LTA are fuming from what i've heard.

IMG convinced them to give WC's to Corina and Carly, and it was presumed (quite rightly) that there would be an exchange. Hmm, well that happened.

I always find it funny, there are always complaints about Wimbledon giving lots of WC's to Brits, usually from Americans. This year teh USTA has outdone itself and awarded 0 wild acrds to foreginers out of 16.

Wimbledon gave WC's to 6 foreigners:

Sharapova
Morariu
Stosur
Kirilenko
Gullikson
DellAcqua

The deal had nothing to do with the USTA...its between IMG and LTA...I assume IMG will return the favor and give WC to some Brits in the tournaments they own...