PDA

View Full Version : Bank of West report: Capriati comes close

DannerCal
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Before the match she was training on the field outside the stadium. She was doing drills and I watched, (to pick up some training pointers). when she came off the field I wished her well and told her that I would be pulling for her. She just smiled and kept walking - as she was being rushed to the door.

Also briefly said hello to Steven, (pics don't do him justice).

It was a fun match to watch. Brilliant points and lots of slugging. Jennifer seemed to play better and try to end points faster after her injury time out. She was very aggressive and kept Kim on the run for awhile.

When she was not able to win the second set, I really did not think that she has enough gas to go the distance in the third - and you know the results....

Attitude:

I have been a fan of hers since she first came on the tour.

Was at Bank of the West this week and the only time she seemed to be enjoying herself was during the doubles matches she played.

She had the confrontation with the chair in her quarter that got her a warning. She then put up her middle finger so the fans could see as she left court to change.

When she lost in the final, she got on the mic and told us, "I have to make this quick, as I have a plane to catch to San Diego."

She did not thank the fans for coming out to support her - and granted she was disappointed by the loss - think she could have acknowledged us.

She seems to have a mental block and her confidence is effected.

She was literally dragging her feet in the third set, and Kim looked liked she could play another set after all was said and done.

On an interesting note: Kim was very gracious and said that she and Jennifer are good friends and do lots of stuff together off the courts.

Future:

Realistically I know that she must feel tons of pressure to win something, and that may rob her joy to smile. I think that if she has a win over a higher ranked player or wins an event - we may see a jump start. In order for that too happen - Jennifer needs to be able to last 3 sets and stay focused. In my mind she has nothing left to prove - and I would love to see her happy and winning......Hopefully things will turn around - and she will find the winning formula.

JCAP
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:54 PM
thanks for that i no she must have been dissapointed to lose but jen should have thanked her fans as they were really behinde her out there!

DannerCal
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:59 PM
A thank you would have been nice. Hopefully someone in her group will remind her for next time :)

CapFan#1
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:02 PM
I bet she was super frustrated... to put in all that hard work and start to see the results to only get that damn injury in the final.. I feel so bad for her.... I hope she takes an approach to things like Agassi does and looks at this from the perspective that it is all about the process, and the results will come in time

DannerCal
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Injury was not that bad. It was a strain in her shoulder. The trainer left at the beg of third set, and Jennifer did not seem bothered by it, (except on her serve at times - which she took a little off).

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Another part of the problem is that Jenīs got NO clue at the net whatsoever! Havenīt seen a top-player so lost at the net as Jen.

CapFan#1
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Another part of the problem is that Jenīs got NO clue at the net whatsoever! Havenīt seen a top-player so lost at the net as Jen.

Obviously you did not watch this match then, because Jen was all over that net winning MANY points up there. Please stop floating around this board looking for opps. to bash Jen. Just go the FUCK away!

jenny161185
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:19 PM
yeah go jen her fans still love her!!!!!!

DannerCal
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Jennifer was great at the net. Think she won over 90% of the points that she approached. She has been playing doubles to work in that part of her game and it is paying off.

selesfan87
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Its very useful having the volley as a weapon. Adds another dimension to the game. Maybe Cappy should play mixed with her brother again. What level does he play at?

DannerCal
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Jennifer has said that she does not really want to play mixed anymore. Just playing women's doubles would be good. She got to a final this year and is getting much better. She was the leader when playing with Daniela, and was making great gets and decisions.
They came close to taking the first set from Lisa Raymond and Cara Black in the Quarters at Bank of the West.

Malin
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:58 PM

You must not see Kim or Monica up at the net, they are rarely there but when they go there they look like a deer caught in headlights.

Elke
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Jen thanked her fans in her speech, the first thing she did. And at the end she said: I love you too, guys.

Andy_
Jul 29th, 2003, 07:46 AM

Well, have a look at Serena... at times she's just awful at the net... being the top player in the world you wouldn't expect her to play such sloppy volleys. When I saw her in Rome I was really impressed by how different her level is, from the baseline to the net area...