PDA

View Full Version : If you could change some things on the wta

cool bird
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:22 PM
If you could change things on WTA tour to make the tour better what would it be.

My list would be I would scrap the tier 1s and have the same thing as the have on the mens side with the Master Series. And the Championship race as well so it all leads up to the tour end champs. I call it the Champs on the women side i think. I just feel it would bring more people in to the sport outside of the grandslams.
The next thing in would do is change Grandslam Final to best of 5 sets as well as the tier1 (or champs as they are soon to be know by) final.
I just feel that it could allow for much better matches ie the French open maybe if it been best of five Kim could have settle down in the third set and it could have been a real match. I mean i do understand that the Women are not as physical strong as Men. and that there would not really be enough time at any torni for both Men and Women to play Best of 5 all the way thought. But on Women final day there is no real reason to me why it cant happen :worship: :worship: :bounce:

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:24 PM
I would also institute a rule requiring the top players to enter more tournaments with each other. This business of playing only 8 or 9 tournaments, most of them being slams is rediculous. Serena would have a few more losses under her belt and possibly a few less slams if she were required to commit to a full schedule!

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:25 PM
less tournaments and more breaks

if tier 1's want to have more worth don't put them right after a slam (like tokio)

Car Key Boi
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:26 PM
more tits 'n' ass

http://carkeyboi.com/dump/attentionwhore.gif http://carkeyboi.com/dump/hump.gif

Darran
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Along with your suggestion of 5 set final matches i would like to see a more even season with an equal number of hardcourt, rebound ace, clay and grass tournies, with a similar number of tier 1s tier 2s etc on each.

SJW
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:16 PM
yea do the Masters thing.....dont know why we do Tier Is anyway

also.....bring Hingis back. the game needs her.

no 5 set matches. the mens drag on. i prefer best of 3. def NOT make the seasons equal. hardcourt SHOULD rule, make grass season longer, make the clay season shorter, then u can have equal grass and clay seasons

Darran
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:43 PM
out of interest, why should hardcourt rule?

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:48 PM
hard court season is already long enough
all Jan then 6 weeks in bFeb/Mar
then another 10 weeks from mid-July-end Sep.

Hard courts should be curtailed, its the reason why the players are having shorter careers.

selesfan87
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:48 PM
I would change the rankings system. You get a certain amount of points for playing a tournament depending on the level and how far you get. Then divide this by the amount of tournaments the player has played. Of course you need to play a certain number of events.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:50 PM
I agree, the hardcourt season is really 2 seasons- the beginning of the year in Australia, then they move back indoors, then to clay, then grass, then more hardcourts.

Solution:

Australian Open moves to end of March, with a couple masters series events leading up to it (Indian Wells, Miami);

French Open moves to beginning of May

Wimbledon moves to July (entire tourney)

U.S. Open stays where it's at

This would allow for a break between December-February for the players to recover from all that hardcourt tennis and the injuries

bluepastures
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Best of 5 for women. NO way! 5 setters are so dull. It's not a case of the most talented player coming through, it's the one who can last longest.

Agree with the point about masters tournaments. Do you think there should be more mens & ladies combined tournaments?

sartrista7
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:13 PM
hardcourt SHOULD rule, make grass season longer, make the clay season shorter, then u can have equal grass and clay seasons

Hard courts definitely shouldn't rule. They're one significant reason we're seeing so many injuries - there's just much more wear and tear on the body if you're not cushioned by clay or grass. They rule too much at the top end as it is - we have four Tier Is plus two Slams on hard courts, as opposed to two Tier Is and one Slam on clay and just one Slam on grass. If anything, there need to be more hard/indoor Tier IIIs and below, and less hard/indoor Tier IIs and above.

A longer grass court season would definitely benefit the WTA, but just imagine even more ATP serve contests than we already do... no thanks.

Rollo
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Reduce the hard court season. Read Boiled Egg's post.

Cut prize money-cut it by 25%. With the amount cut put it into a bonus pool and require a minimum of 14 events from each woman. If you don't play 14 you lose your bonus.

Set a maximum of 24 WTA events per season. If these dingbarts like Dokic can't protect themselves the tour needs to do it for them.

Scrap the age restriction rules and allow a number f events that equals a girls age per year. 14 at 14, 15 at 15 etc. until she's 18. This does not hurt a girl in the rankings.

Change the rankings system to the best of 14. Better yey, reward winning. An event winner should get DOUBLE what a runner-up gets. A runner-up gets double a semi, etc. I bet you'd get some real dogfights in the later stages of events and the excitement would build.

Slams should count double what they do now. It's crazy that Serena is less than #1 without a slam.

Move Wimbledon away from the French and get a grasscourt season.

Promote tennis around the world. I hope they push events like Hyderabad in India. and Shanghai in China. A top female from India or China would really make tennis international.

Kill the current Fed Cup system and go back to the old format of one week at one site. Make it worth WTA points to play.

Rollo
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Oh-and if LA bombs as the site of the wTA finals do what the ATP does-move it around the world and rotate it yearly. If Brussels get pull in 100,000 fans one year then reward them by playing there again within 3 years.

It's too much of an American tour as it is.

*JR*
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:30 PM
I agree, the hardcourt season is really 2 seasons- the beginning of the year in Australia, then they move back indoors, then to clay, then grass, then more hardcourts.

Solution:

Australian Open moves to end of March, with a couple masters series events leading up to it (Indian Wells, Miami);

This would allow for a break between December-February for the players to recover from all that hardcourt tennis and the injuries
Yeah, the French and Wimby are way too close. In fact, if they're gonna have lawn tennis, 4 events (3 in the space of 2 weeks, right after RG) isn't enough! (But you only need to shift one of these 2 Slams, not both). Oz has been debated hotly (pun intended), so I have nothing to say that hasn't been by "either side". Scoring I'll do in a whole other post sometime. No combination coach-dubs partners ala Tina Krizan, who fucked up Srebotnik last year that way. And no convicted embezzlers sponging off player girlfriends to stay out of jail (in let's say Frankfurt to pick a city purely @ random)! :eek: :p

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Rollo wrote:
Slams should count double what they do now. It's crazy that Serena is less than #1 without a slam.

God no! Slams are already worth too much compared to other events as it is.

I should also add that if you took the rankings after 2001 Wimbledon, and made the Slams worth twice as much, Martina Hingis would still have been #1. :)

-Sonic-
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I'd definately change the schedule to suit myself and the players more.

I'd keep the ranking system as it is. Might introduce some complusary tournaments though, such as at least 5 tier 1's.

Iconoclast
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Interesting proposals, but I disagree with a few of them.
Set a maximum of 24 WTA events per season. If these dingbarts like Dokic can't protect themselves the tour needs to do it for them.
That's a genuinely bad idea. This will simply force some of the lower ranked players into ITF territory where they don't really belong. These are pros trying to make a living - who are we to tell them how much they can play?

There's no need to make a rule because of Dokic' apparent inability to limit her schedule. We should expect players to schedule according to their own best interest, and I suppose 95 percent already do. If not - that's their problem.

Jill Craybas may have played 30 tournaments over the last year, but how many matches do that translate into? Frankly, not a lot. The same is true for many other players outside the Top 40.
Slams already count for a lot, they even upped the tally recently to feed the Slam fixation. But the WTA is trying to run a Tour that spans a little more than 8 weeks. I doubt the organizers of the Tier 1 events will appreciate this. Their tournaments will be worth less, relatively speaking. And we might see even more top players skipping them to improve their Slam preparation.

If Serena can't play enough to hold onto that No. 1 spot with that enormous cargo of Slam points, it's her problem. I do think Clijsters should be rewarded for showing up at 10 more WTA events over the last year. And I'm sure the fans appreciated it.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:04 PM

Solution:

If Aus Open was end of March.... its too close to the French Open
that would put Aus Open in early autumn in Melbourne.
no way thats gonna happen.

clay season would be pretty much dead
where you gonna put the American Green Clay events and Rome/Berlin events ????

anyway Paris at the beginning of May isn't warm enough.

French Open is at a pretty good spot.
Wimbledon should be either 1 or 2 weeks later

About the WTA rank points. the WTA changed it from average to best of to encourage the top players to play more (not to go hopping mad like you know who).

It was easier in the 80's and early 90's to stay at the #1 POS with only a few events outside the majors, as it was Average Pts.

-Sonic-
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:09 PM
good post iconoclast

Iconoclast
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Wimbledon should be either 1 or 2 weeks later
It will conflict with the Tour de France. Loads of continental broadcasters wouldn't like that the least bit. Especially if they own the rights to both.

Rollo
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Good reply Inconoclast.

I agree with you if you take my proposals by themselves, but if you combine the higher rank for slams WITH a minimum # of events you might actually get the Serena's and Capriati's to enter a few more events.

Lets be honest. The current system put into place in 1997 is broken. The rankings have become divorced from the public's perception of who is #1. We've had a slamless #1 (Hingis in 2000) a majorless #1 (Davenport in 2001) and we're headed for another PR error.

And the purpose of the new ranking sytem was to get the top women to play more. What has it reaped? A golden girl who played herself into the ground (Hingis) and smarter top women who have told to tour (in effect)to F-off.

I stick by the idea of limiting events. ITF's would be included in that total. 24 events in one year is quite enough. If I knew I was limited in the number of events I could play I'd make the most of it rather than tank a match in Timbuktu when I was down a set because there is always another event around the corner. If a girl can't win enough after 24 shots at it she doesn't deserve a high ranking.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:20 PM
thats not a problem over here, but that would clash with the Open Golf and British F1 GP.

isn't Tour de France on Eurosport ?? but they can't show Wimbledon.

being greedy I'd like the French Open a week later too as it clashes with Giro D'Italia so we wouldn't lose 2 hours coverage a day in week 1.

i_like_tennis
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:51 PM
1. deflate the bonus points in Grand Slams
or make all bonus points correlate to tournament status
2x the points than Tier I are way too many,
1.5 is more reasonable
or if you want to stay that way, then increase
Tier I points to 1.5, Tier II to 1.2
Tier III- can stay the same.....

2. start the yr with Tour Champ
put Miami and Tour Champ one week b/w them,
and put both to the beginning of the yr,
instead of putting Tour Champ as last event,
put Indian Wells to avoid 3 straight weeks of tennis
TOP players.....this way you can strenghten the
field of Indian Wells and move AO to about 4 weeks later

3. start scheduling matches taking into consideration ITF schedules
done make a person have to decide b/w
being seeded for Tier V qualies and 75K MD,

4. increase prize money for lower ranked players,
like many have said, the money received by the
is way too much, you cant make a living by
playing tennis, especially for women players,
if you are ranked too low

5. different entry systems for Race to Championship,
no one cares about Race to Championship
it has eliminated surface elements completely,
so rather than having the TOP 8 players,
make it 24 players field, TOP 20 players + 4 WC's
and seed 16 players, TOP 8 get byes,
and make it a 2 weeks events.....
like a double elimination,

6. age restriction loosens

7. start finding more sponsors in Asia/South America,
Africa, to have more tournaments made,

8. do not award points for Olympmics
but award quality points for Fed Cup

9. expand the schedules, and limit the number
of Tier I's and Tier II's and have more Tier III and
under's

10 MAKE THE TIX CHEAPER...

TennisHack
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:10 PM
1. Do away with quality points completely. I never understood the reason to have them in the first place; plus they make it harder to defend titles.

2. Do not award points for Fed Cup or the Olympics. Both systems are too complicated as it is.

3. Make Fed Cup format like Davis Cup; will add more interest to the doubles tie especially. Also, the scheduling would create more interest in Fed Cup.

4. I also like the idea of a Masters Series, which would have more impact on the race than regular tournaments, though not as much as the Slams.

5. Diminish the impact hardcourts have in the rankings. As many have said, there are too many hardcourt tournaments, especially big ones. I'd do away with several tournaments altogether, or diminish their Tier status. I like the comment someone made about having more clay, grass, indoor Tier I's and II's.

6. Have more tournaments outside of the US. Asia is ripe for some indoor tournaments, especially. There are a few new men's tourneys in Asia that are indoors after the US Open.

7. Longer offseason. (I wish)

8. Indoor carpet Slam. (I wish)

billie_jean_king
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Oh please...it's my tour. It's perfect. Accept it...I'm amazing and so is MY tour.

maccardel
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:34 PM
I say tier I or Masters it is only a title and it doesn't matter much. I think the problem is Indian Wells and Miami are too close. I say that Indian Wells should be the start of something else......meaning that some of the tier IIs should be placed between IW and Miami. Therefore RG wouldn't seem so far from OZ. If that happens where the schedule is adjusted, then that Amelia Island and Charleston would have to change their surface ..........unless Miami changes their surface to clay....

That is the extreme though. I think that space needs to be between Miami and IW....that's all.

TennisHack
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:36 PM
The point I was making about the Masters Series is, there's only 9 TMS events and that's more than plenty (plus 4 Slams, that's 11 important tournaments).

I kinda like having back-to-back big tournaments, and like having the big events mixed, men and women.

-Sonic-
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:40 PM
9 masters series plus 4 slams is 13.

TennisHack
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Never said I was a math whiz ;) but you get my point. More than enough important tournaments.

sartrista7
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:45 PM
1. Do away with quality points completely. I never understood the reason to have them in the first place; plus they make it harder to defend titles.

No, no, no... the quality points are brilliant, and sorely missed in the ATP points. If someone like Emilie Loit works her ass off to upset a top seed in a Slam - say if she'd pulled the Serena win off at AO - there's no question to me that she deserves to be rewarded more than, for example, Alexandra Stevenson, who beat a British wild card.

fammmmedspin
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Decide what contribution to the tour players should make and set a minimum. Can't see why it isn't 16-20 tournaments which is below the average level of effort. Penalise those falling below the level without a good medical reason. (reducing their points by their average tournament score for each tournament missed would incentivise people) A level playing field would remove "odd" number ones.

Sort out the problem of scheduling - late withdrawals for non-medical reasons ought to produce bans.

Alter the balance of hard-court versus other tournaments.

Reduce the imbalance in points between GS and Tier 1s. There won't be any need if the GS winners are playing a full schedule.

Double the quality points - who you beat should count more than how far you strolled to in a tournament.

And in the silly idea to think about for a second camp : do away with round points and just go with quality points - you are who you beat. Double them for GS if you want to. And even sillier, award one point per game won - if you take Serena to 3 sets you deserve more than if you go down 6-0 6-0

AmErIcAn
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:09 AM
1. Move Oz to mid february and play say IW before it. Miami after it.

2. Scrap fed cup its pointless unless they totally change the format and make it like davis Cup.

3. Make players play min of 14 tournies a year incl GS and a max of 24.

4. Less wildcards in slam tournies most of em lose in the 1st round and deprive qualifiers who deserve to be in the main draw the chance.

TennisHack
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:26 AM
No, no, no... the quality points are brilliant, and sorely missed in the ATP points. If someone like Emilie Loit works her ass off to upset a top seed in a Slam - say if she'd pulled the Serena win off at AO - there's no question to me that she deserves to be rewarded more than, for example, Alexandra Stevenson, who beat a British wild card.

Yes, but what happens when defense time rolls around? There's no way to defend quality points. It's supposed to be a rolling system, which is why quality points are useless.

Gowza
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:03 AM
if it was anything at all i would change the tv coverage and get a lot more wta events on tv. but that's not really 'on' the wta tour. so i guess i would probablly try to get more of the top players playing the big events like miami and indian wells and i would also put more concentration on the youngsters trying to develop them the right way (which would be very hard to do) and try to get them to have as smooth a transition as possible from juniors to wta. sorry that's 2 things.

Richie77
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:54 AM
- Change the ranking system to averaging...make a minimum divisor of 15.

- don't do away with quality points completely, but maybe reduce them a little. Say, 60 points for beating No. 1 instead of 100. Reduce the Slam multiplier to 1.5

- take ITF $75 and $50Ks into account when making the schedule. Also, increase the number of Tier Vs.

-Prize money of Tiers should be as follows:
Tier I - $1M
Tier II - $500K
Tier III - $200K
Tier IV- $150K
Tier V - $100K

I don't think it's necessary to reduce the schedule...the professional golf tour basically does the same thing, and no one complains about burnout. (Granted, there's less effort needed and less traveling required). I would say beef up the Asian and South American schedules...give players who live on those continents more of a chance to earn points.

I'll add more as I think of them.

maccardel
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:55 AM
if it was anything at all i would change the tv coverage and get a lot more wta events on tv. but that's not really 'on' the wta tour. so i guess i would probablly try to get more of the top players playing the big events like miami and indian wells and i would also put more concentration on the youngsters trying to develop them the right way (which would be very hard to do) and try to get them to have as smooth a transition as possible from juniors to wta. sorry that's 2 things.

interesting point....I say that there should be coverage of the lesser tourneys therefore spreading the star power around. Lets says someone like Katalina Sprem who did well on the challenger circuit and then stirred things up at lower tier events should have coverage on tv, that way when she is featured at the slams, everyone who follows tennis is aware of her...... tv coverage for non slam events should be from round one not semis then finals cos usually we see the same players in the final four and the casual fan won't have any awareness of the others who were in the tourney.........

Knizzle
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:45 AM
I think points at the slams should definitely increase. And also I think that there should be no such thing as having tournaments "in reserve" The best 17 should be taken, and no replacements be allowed.