PDA

View Full Version : CAN Lindsay win the US Open!?

cirelowe
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:48 PM
With all likelihood that Venus and Serena WILL be in the same 1/2 of the draw, and the possibility that Kim could eventually lose in the 1/4's to Amelie Mauresmo, her probable opponent, could this be Lindsay's last good bite at the apple? I say yes!

Outside of the Williams Sisters and Kim, I would like to believe that a modestly healthy Davenport has a more than fair chance of defeating the remainding players (she has a winning record against the the rest) She's got all the weapons, and experience, to take this title! She's just got to have the inner belief that she can do this this!

I believe that Lindsay has 3 more Slams left in her!

Three more!

Cire

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:54 PM
I think she can, but only if she has to beat Venus, and not Serena along the way. Serena has Davenport's number, and has for years. Lindsay just doesn't like playing Serena (not that many people do)

The second set at Wimbledon versus Venus was good to see- Lindsay back to her old form for a little bit. She needs to work on her fitness to get it back.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Funny to see fans "lighting candles" hoping Serena and Venus cancel ea. other out so thier favs. might, just might have a chance to win. LOL

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Linds and Cappy both have one more slam in them each IMHO. I think Linds can do it at this years Open, but Cap can't because she doesn't believe she can. If I had to bet on one of them winning a slam, it would sadly be Lindsay though:sad: . She has the serve, and does better against the top players.

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:05 PM
As long as she doesnīt have to face a Williams she can, but what are the odds for that happening?! Too bad, but the Williamses own her and BAD!

bis2806
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Lindsay definitely has a shot in winning especially if the williamses are in the same half of the draw... we'll see.. go Lindsay :D

Dava
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Hmm, Im not sure it depends on her foot injury

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:18 PM
I bet Lindsay takes out Venus in the Quarters...

Jasmin
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Long as she doesn't face a Williams. She can perhaps squeak a win on one of them but she can't do it to both. It's too much work to beat both of them in the same tourney. This goes for Kim C and Cap.
Really Lindsay's is now in the mindset of leaving the sport at this point.

cirelowe
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:25 PM
The open will be different from the other 3 slams - the Sisters will definately be in the same 1/2 of the draw. No doubt about that - New Yorkers don't play that crap! Another All-Williams Final? Not in our backyard!

The draw has to work in Lindsay's favour. She needs either Justine or Kim in her 1/4's. If it's justin (fingers crossed), I can see her easily dismissing her in straight sets! In so doing, I suspect that she and Kim will meet in one semi; Venus and Serena in the other. Now, if Lindsay can get by Kim, which should be easy if kim's forehand goes to sleep, as it normally does in big matches, I would suspect that she will await an error-proned Williams, hopefully Venus!

Between us girls, I believe that Lindsay thinks that she has a better chance against Venus. I mean, hasn't she beaten Venus, like, 10 times or something!? She's definately knows out to play her!

She can do this!

Cire

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:25 PM
SHE SURELY CAN!!!! Whoever is the opponent!!!!
She just missed some fighting spirit!!!!!!!
She just needs to believed.
I think she know her tennis career is almost over so she will give her best!!!!!!

GO LINDSAY!!!!!

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:29 PM
The opponent doesnīt matter?! Well, it has been more than two years since Lindsay has taken a set off either Williams on hardcourts. She can surely beat Kim, Justine or even Jen....Venus and Serena will be a whole different ballgame though!

jbone_0307
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:29 PM
No, Lindsay will never win another slam in her career. Sorry. Shes not physically fit to compete with the William Sisters or Kim. An injured Venus can run faster than a fit Davenport.

GoDominique
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:36 PM
I hate to say it, but Lindsay proved at AO and Wimbledon that she can't do it. :(

Sofiane
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Notice :
Kim defeated Lindsay 3 times in a row. The last two times in straight sets.

Darran
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:48 PM
To the question "can she win it" the answer is yes, she is still a top 5-6 player and loves hardcourts, she doesnt have to play all players above her, just 1 or 2, maybe less with opponants losing. So yes she can.

To the question "will she win it" i just don't feel she will win another one.

But tennis like other sports can be unpredictable.

selesfan87
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I'm sure she can! With a bit of luck, a good draw and playing well anything can happen.

Joana
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:52 PM
As much as I'd LOVE to see it happening, I'm just not sure. If she's completely healthy, if she gets herself together mentally and if she doesn't have to play Serena, it may as well happen. But what are the odds for something like that? It seems to me that Linds has lost something after her comeback, some of her spirit - the old Lindsay wouldn't lose all those finals against Rubin, Maleeva, Scnhyder, Dementieva and even Clijsters (IW final) - she was way ahead in every single match and yet lost it. For me, that's the indication that her glory days are left behind. :sad:
But I still love her though, and if she does win one more GS, there'll be few people happier than me. :drool:

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Ainīt happening.....the draw Gods would have to be VERY helpful to her. There at least three players: both Williamses and Kim who are owning her at the moment and thatīs too much....asuming that she would have to face at least one of them for the title, her odds are VERY long!

Infiniti2001
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:22 PM
I like Lindsay, and I am also realistic. Unless she finds a way to gain some more stamina she won't be holding anymore slam trophies... She played an awesome 2nd set against Venus at Wimbledon, but she was pooped by the 2nd game in the 3rd. She looks fit, but she's definitely lacking in the stamina department.

Hawk
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:45 PM
With her toe injury it's hard to tell... Plus as mentioned you sort of have to question her desire/mental aspect..she was pretty seriously talking about retiring after Wimbly :eek:

It's definatly possible though if the draw opens up a bit for her..but she could possibly get a tough Quarter and Semi..which would make it extremly difficult.

-Sonic-
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:03 PM
How come the sisters are going to be in the same half? I've missed something. Again.

Infiniti2001
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:23 PM
How come the sisters are going to be in the same half? I've missed something. Again.

Nope, you didn't miss anything-- this is all speculation by someone who is desperate :tape:

sartrista7
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:26 PM
The open will be different from the other 3 slams - the Sisters will definately be in the same 1/2 of the draw. No doubt about that - New Yorkers don't play that crap! Another All-Williams Final? Not in our backyard!

Draws are random. Draws are random. Draws are random. Really, you all ought to know this by now. :banghead:

-Sonic-
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:39 PM
oh good. I didn't wanna sound too up myself so went for the ignorant view instead. I'll know to trust myself next time :)

fried_beans
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Notice :
Kim defeated Lindsay 3 times in a row. The last two times in straight sets.

Wasnt it the last 2 times ...I believe Dav beat her in straights the time before Sydney?

selesrules
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:34 AM
CAN Lindsay win the US Open!?

Yes she "CAN" win it, since she's won it before and made another final too.

Sofiane
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Wasnt it the last 2 times ...I believe Dav beat her in straights the time before Sydney?
You are right.
Kim defeted indsay three out the four last times :), they played. :o

diggerariel
Jul 29th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Not only can Lindsay win, but also I feel that she WILL win the U.S. Open. Things are setting up nicely for her..... can't wait for it to start!

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 07:40 AM
even an injured Venus can beat LindZ.:devil:

Maajken
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:50 AM
lindZ? never heard of her...is she a new player? :confused:

anyway..if lindsay plays well, she can beat anyone on any given day and she'll have to play her best to win the us open, but i do believe she still has at least one slam in her.

Gandalf
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:44 AM
I think she would have to win at least one of the hardcourt tournaments in order to be confident.

She may beat Kim, and I favour her chances against the rest of the field, but I can't see her beating a Williams at a Slam right now if she hasn't done it in the prior weeks.

SM
Jul 29th, 2003, 12:18 PM
if lindsay doesnt have to play a williams she has a chance, but i cant see her beating either sister realistically

Volcana
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:21 PM
I believe that Lindsay has 3 more Slams left in her!

Three more!

Cire

Hi cirelowe. What happened to you in the Williams siters/Endorsement thread? For a while, you were all over it, then suddenly, you stopped posting. Just when actual facts were being presented too. Could've used more of your side of the arguement. Without you actually being there to present facts to counter all that pro-Williams endorsement info, it looked like youhad no aruement inthe first place. Next time, hang around for a while!

As for Lindsay, sure she CAN win the US Open this year, but the stars have to align for her. More to the point, somebody has to take out venus and Serena for her, since those aren't good matchups for her. I think 3 slams is expecting too much. Lindsay is making 'time-to-settle-down-and-make-babies noises. I expect retirement after next year, and she's not going to win three of the next five GS tiitles.

A4
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:59 PM
even an injured Venus can beat LindZ.:devil:

No, wrong. Kim.