PDA

View Full Version : The Best Graf Match Live

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:04 PM
What's the best Steffi Graf match you ever saw live?

Mine was the semi-finals of the 1998 Avanta Championships in Philadelphia, PA:

Graf def. Hingis 6-2,4-6,6-0

Libertango
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Well I only ever saw one, but it was still great: Steffi v Kimiko Wimby SF 6-2 2-6 then it was suspended :mad: :fiery: :sad: :( :eek:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:09 PM
That was a great match, sorry I missed it. I rather enjoyed the final though! Graf defeats Davenport.

hingis-seles
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Graf beat Hingis in the quarters in Philly.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:12 PM
It was a terrific match- and I was laughing and cheering the whole time. Hingis was being her typical bratty self- making all kinds of faces and mocking Steffi's forehand and backhand all match long. After Hingis won the second set- Steffi took a 3 minute injury time-out and left the court to have her quad re-taped, and Hingis was shaking her head and pouting and complaining- then Graf came back out and dusted her clock in the third set without dropping a game!

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Classic Steffi, I'd pay good money to have that one on tape.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Graf beat Hingis in the quarters in Philly.

Hey, you're right- thanks for the correction- I was there for the semis and Elena Likhovsteva gave Graf a terrific battle. Thanks again.

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:16 PM
steffi played tauziat in the semis

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:18 PM
I wish I could see that quarterfinal too :lol:

I never saw steffi live only on tv

CondiLicious
live on TV? AO 1993 I was 11 and I enjoyed watching it lots.

Live in person? 1995 Wimbledon final... That was great. Shame Monica had to steal her thunder and annouce her comeback that exact same day.

alfajeffster
steffi played tauziat in the semis

this is a tough tournament for me to get the rounds correct, because I was there all week, and saw alot of matches.

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:20 PM
steffi play mary joe, Likhovsteva, martina, tauziat and lindsay and that with a jet lag

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:21 PM
I'm going to the Philly tournament this year, glad it's back on the calendar.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:22 PM
The best thing about that tournament was the fact that the players came out of the lounge quite often and sat right next to where we had tickets. I got Graf's autograph during that tournament, and got to talk for a few minutes with Janella Rochelle, who was Graf's exclusive photographer for a while back then.

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:22 PM
didn't see also made pics for the sgisc?

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:24 PM
martina said later that she lost because was tired while she just had a break for 4 weeks and steffi came from germany and a tough match the day before

all this makes a certain other match so much more sweeter :p

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:36 PM
That 1999 match couldn't have been sweeter. I remember following the score on the French Open web site (it wasn't live, as NBC claimed it was), and I remember almost throwing my computer out the window when there was this long pause when Steffi was serving for the match at 5-2, and nothing changed for what seemed like hours. I couldn't tell from watching the score what was wrong (it turned out to be the famous controversy over the under-handed serve that was a few feet out and Hingis complaining she couldn't hear)

hingis-seles
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Martina played horrible tennis that tournament. She was unmotivated and didn't seem to care. It was 1998.

The best Steffi matches I have seen on tv, quality-wise, would have to be 1993 AO and 1992 Wimbledon finals. She played impeccable tennis in both of them.

Unfortuantely, I never got to see Steffi in person.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Another match where she played out of her tree was the Acura Classic a few years back- again, dusting Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in straight sets. It was comical, because Sanchez Vicario made the remark during the award ceremony afterward "I think maybe Steffi don't like me!" and brought the house down (including Steffi)

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:47 PM
and asv put a spell on steffi and steffi had to play with a brace for the rest of the year?

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:48 PM
poor steffi. that trainer hitting on her back in the montreal final is the worst steffi moment on court I ever saw worse then australia 97 since it only came clear afterwards how dangerous it was :o

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:49 PM
What year was that? I always get those finals confused at the Acura Classic- Graf def. Conchita Martinez the one year, and then Sanchez Vicario the next, I think.

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:49 PM
and martina after the baggel went straight to bolletieri to practice so I bet she was not unmotivated;)

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:50 PM
1993 she beat asv in three sets and in 94 in two 6:2 6:1
coverage sucked here then so I didn't see them

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:51 PM
poor steffi. that trainer hitting on her back in the montreal final is the worst steffi moment on court I ever saw worse then australia 97 since it only came clear afterwards how dangerous it was :o

What are you talking about "hitting on her back"?

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:52 PM
something had moved in her back so the trainer had to push it in the right place again. steffi played the match out but lost

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:10 PM
I'm going to the Philly tournament this year, glad it's back on the calendar.

I will too, but it just won't be the same without Graf. I saw her beat Jennifer Capriati way back in the early 90s at the old Civic Center!

tommystar
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Alfajeffster!

Can you remember were on that Graf - Hingis match cameras? If I know well this match wasn't televized. Only ARD showed 2-3 rallies of that from a very strange camera-angle. So, I think the whole match'd NOT have been recorded, only in your graet memories lives on.
I remember I couldn't sleep well, and got up at 5 am, I watched the score on the teletext, and became extremly happy, Steffi beat 6-0 in the 3rd the gal who made very unsportswomanlike comments about her in the near past. Perfect gratification! :)

irma
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:39 PM
yeah me too. I remember reading it on tv 5 teletext since they were always quick. I felt such a joy and :worship:

alfajeffster
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Alfajeffster!

Can you remember were on that Graf - Hingis match cameras? If I know well this match wasn't televized. Only ARD showed 2-3 rallies of that from a very strange camera-angle. So, I think the whole match'd NOT have been recorded, only in your graet memories lives on.
I remember I couldn't sleep well, and got up at 5 am, I watched the score on the teletext, and became extremly happy, Steffi beat 6-0 in the 3rd the gal who made very unsportswomanlike comments in the near past. Perfect gratification! :)

It was recorded, I sat behind one of the cameras and there were commentators in the makeshift booth on the first level- I seem to remember Elise Burgin was one of them. They didn't show the match on TV, but one of the local Philly stations recorded the match- can't remember which one, though- I was just GLAD TO BE THERE!

tommystar
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:50 PM
yeah me too. I remember reading it on tv 5 teletext since they were always quick. I felt such a joy and :worship:
Exactly on TV 5! It has some swiss connection, so b/c of Hingis they were very quick. But ORF text is the best reporting tennis, inmo! :)

Alfajeffster!
THX, good news at least it's recorded somewhere! ;)

alfajeffster
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Guess which player was out in the stands watching the match? You guessed it- MONICA SELES!!!!!!

DA FOREHAND
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:59 PM
My fav. Graf -v- Hingis matches

96 Us Open Semi I always start the tape when Steffi's down 3-5 love the way she cleans up her game and starts ragdolling Hingis. Near the end of the match Carillo quips "Hingis needs a nap" LOL

96 Chase Championship 5 setter two bagels and Hingis literally floored trying to fight of cramps caused by the slice backhand she's been digging up all nite.

98(?) Philly didn't see it, but damn the bagel must have been sweet, and in the home of cream cheese.

99 French...STEF- FI (clap clap clap) STEF-FI!...nuff said

cellophane
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Was the 5-setter between Graf and Hinigs at the Chase in '96 any good?

alfajeffster
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Was the 5-setter between Graf and Hinigs at the Chase in '96 any good?

Not really. In fact, pretty much all of the Graf/Hingis match-ups were predictable: Hingis trying her best to hit every ball to the Graf backhand until she got an error, or enough time to rip a winner down the line. Graf dictated play in nearly all of their matches, and I think this really irked Hingis, because she became such a good player, but could never seem to get on top of Graf...

darren cahill
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:43 PM
It was a terrific match- and I was laughing and cheering the whole time. Hingis was being her typical bratty self- making all kinds of faces and mocking Steffi's forehand and backhand all match long. After Hingis won the second set- Steffi took a 3 minute injury time-out and left the court to have her quad re-taped, and Hingis was shaking her head and pouting and complaining- then Graf came back out and dusted her clock in the third set without dropping a game!

I only saw highlights of this match but let me tell ya...the handshake at the end was classic...i dont think i ever saw Steffi so excited (up to this point)!....and hingis looked so annoyed as she always did whenever she lost to Graf

i've seen Steffi loads of times in person but she hardly ever won when i saw her...i've seen her at the 92 season finale when she lost to Lori..saw her withdraw against Novotna in Philly...but did see her beat Zina in Washington DC in 1989 and she won the first 20 games of the match....it was 5-0 before Zina even won a point...incredible.

i wonder if anyone as the Hingis/Graf match from philly..i'd love to have that....

Mikey
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Ironically, it was that match at Philadelphia in 1998 that made me dislike Steffi Graf. I asked her for an autograph before the match after she had warmed up and she gave me a nasty look and told me that she wouldn't give me an autograph. She didn't say later or that she was busy or any exuse, nor did she smile - she just said "No." and turned away.

I may have been wrong to ask her, but that was the last thing I expected from anyone - especially considering I wasn't even a big tennis fan back then.

irma
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:51 PM
probably not in a good mood;)

alfajeffster
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Ironically, it was that match at Philadelphia in 1998 that made me dislike Steffi Graf. I asked her for an autograph before the match after she had warmed up and she gave me a nasty look and told me that she wouldn't give me an autograph. She didn't say later or that she was busy or any exuse, nor did she smile - she just said "No." and turned away.

I may have been wrong to ask her, but that was the last thing I expected from anyone - especially considering I wasn't even a big tennis fan back then.

I got her autograph during that tournament, and she was very nice, even comical. I brought a copy of my "U.S. Open, Game, Set, Unmatched", and today I have a gold-framed picture above my desk of Graf and her German Shepherd from the 2 page spread in that book on The Legends. She signed directly over the blurb "No women save Court and Navratilova have proven themselves as great as Graf, and Graf still has several competitive years ahead". I thought that was funny!

Mikey
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:54 PM
probably not in a good mood;)
lol :p

I don't know, and it's not like I have a problem with Graf fans or something like that, I just took it sort of personal - even Capriati had the decency to make up an exuse (4 times!) when she didn't feel like signing autographs :p

irma
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:56 PM
maybe steffi had to save her wrist?;)

I always make excuses for steffi so I help her out;)

Mikey
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Oh, good - but too bad you weren't there when she was at a loss for one :p

irma
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:04 PM
:lol: poor steffi running out of words

brehondavis
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:51 PM
I liked the graf match with venus in 99

brehondavis
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:51 PM
the graf match with venus at wimby in 99 where venus was whooping her until the rain delay and when they came back steffi took it ot venus

alfajeffster
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:54 PM
the graf match with venus at wimby in 99 where venus was whooping her until the rain delay and when they came back steffi took it ot venus

A good learning experience from a veteran to a junior, I'd say

Grafan
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:16 AM
this one must be wimbledon 96, she really dominated this match from all spots of the court

tennisjam
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:37 PM
All the Graf's matches are "unique"... :angel:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:52 PM

That's funny because I bought tikets to one of Pam Shriver's charity events which was to feature Steffi(she withdrew) and Monica showed up in her place. I was bummed, but found myself excited about seeing Monica for the first time, and hearing the grunt. I waited railside for her to finish an interview yelling her name for attn. alongside some pre-teen girls trying to get the Bmore pro baseball players autographs. I couldn't believe how thrilled I was. I call out her name she turns and I hold out my program(she's about six feet away) she turns and says "Can't this wait til after my match". I was devastated. :confused: When I related this story to one of my good friends(huge Monica fan) he laughed so hard. :lol: I did eventually get the autoGraf though. :wavey:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:54 PM
A good learning experience from a veteran to a junior, I'd say

I absolutely love this match, almost as much as the 99 French. This match solidifiyed my fondness for Venus. And had me glowing at Steffi's play, I was so proud of her.

I knew that after Steffi retired, Venus would be the new Queen of the grass.