PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Capriati...what should/needs to be done?

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:53 PM
They say if it aint broke don't fix it, but damn something is obviously broken how long does it take to realize that?

Jennifer has played some good matches this year, and still come out the loser. I refuse to believe that her best is simply not good enough or in some Hingis hex. :confused: :confused:

Is it time to bring in some outside help? Could she take a page out of Venus' book, play FedCup, and benefit from some minor tinkering from BJK?

Ryan
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I really don't see all that much wrong with Jenn's game. Her serve is a liability when it is off, but it does not hurt her a lot unless she plays Serena/Venus.

Her mental game needs more work then anything else. She came back from 1-4 in the first set against Kim, but couldn't in the third. She HAS to be so dissapointed in losing so many three setters this year and that IMO is still with her from the AO losing to Marlene. Jenn needs one win over a top player(preferably in three sets) to get back in gear.

P.S. She also needs to get someone besides Serena in her Quarters.

jenny161185
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:24 PM
I agree A win over justine in the USO quater finals would be a great confidence booster :)

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:26 PM
You think? justine's scalp on a hardcourt is hardly something for Jennifer to write home about.

Cariaoke
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:27 PM
I really don't see all that much wrong with Jenn's game. Her serve is a liability when it is off, but it does not hurt her a lot unless she plays Serena/Venus.

Her mental game needs more work then anything else. She came back from 1-4 in the first set against Kim, but couldn't in the third. She HAS to be so dissapointed in losing so many three setters this year and that IMO is still with her from the AO losing to Marlene. Jenn needs one win over a top player(preferably in three sets) to get back in gear.

P.S. She also needs to get someone besides Serena in her Quarters.
well there was no Serena in this tourney and she still lost...

what is the solution, folks?

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Stronger Steroids, now there's a thought...

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Nobody seems to be attacking my BJK tune-up. Hmmmm?

All seem to agree something is broken, or at the very least out of place.

alexusjonesfan
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:35 PM
what Jen needs is for other people, who act as if they understand her and her game inside out, to stop giving advice :p

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:36 PM
what Jen needs is for other people who act as if they understand her and her game inside out, to stop giving advice :p

So you're saying she should dump Steffano.....now there's a good place to start....how astute of you.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Have you ever tried to convince a hard-headed Italian woman to listen to reason? I'm sure it's a short list of coaches who would make themselves available

alexusjonesfan
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:41 PM
So you're saying she should dump Steffano.

sure, if that's what you feel will be best for her :)

harloo
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Honestly, Jen should reevaluate who on her team. She should be winning some of these tournaments. I can understand losing to Serena and Venus, but Kim and Chanda are two different players. And Jen has even lost a couple of times to Alex. Now while I like Alex, she is just not that good at all.

I think it is mental with her. It's so hard to keep up for Jen. The girls are not backing down. In the BOTW their were alot of upsets, because everyone is believing in their games. Jen needs to focus and get a win. Easier said than done though.

Ryan
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:49 PM
well there was no Serena in this tourney and she still lost...

what is the solution, folks?

Yes, but she made the final. If she was in anyone but Serena's quarter in San Diego I would pick her to get out of it.

Cariaoke
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:56 PM
yes, she did make the final. she's good at making finals. but she's still the tour's 'so close, yet so far' queen and Kim is right after her as far as grand slams.

Jen has made strides in her fitness, hiring a fitness trainer and she is able to hang in 3 setters for the first 3 games in the third but her mental toughness is about as strong as the elastic on a homeless man's briefs: practically non-existent.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:57 PM
She needs to develop her game- it's too one-dimensional. The trouble with Jen, is that she may not have the talent to do this. Even if she gets better coaching- you can't teach someone how to think out there- she has always been a great striker of the ball, but the nuances and chess-match aspects of tennis are not what has ever won matches for her. She got to where she did through pounding the tar out of the ball. Unfortunately, there are 5-6 other players who can do this as well if not better, and most of them have alot more variety than Jen...

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:04 PM
From what I was reading she ventured to the net quite often in her match -v- Kim.

DannerCal
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Jennifer's game is not one dimentional. I was at the final on Sunday. She was able to step it up and mix up the pace, she even came to net more than ever before and put balls away. Her issue is MENTAL. She feels the pressure of not winning and she ran out of steam at the end of the match with kim. She even double faulted on match point.

Then she gets on the mic and tells people that she needs to hurry so she can catch her plane to San Diego.

Hawk
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I don't think mixing it up would help Jen that much..she definatly did a little against Kim..sometimes took the pace off the ball and threw in some dropshots..but for the most part was unsuccessful.

She did try dropshots..but Kim is too fast though and she got burned. When she took the pace off Kim just kept the ball in play..she really had the most success doing what she does best..banging from the baseline.

justine&coria
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Yeah as so many said it here, her mental is her problem : yesterday, she lost the last game (and the match) by making 2 df.
However is she married ? She should to boost her confidence up as Justine ! lol

cool bird
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:22 PM
in my mind Jen is not the greatest vollier in the world. But watching her in the final i must say she should my be sneak in to the net a bit more when she plays Serena.
what could change if it doesnt work back to the drawing board

CapFan#1
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:28 PM
She has added alot to her game in the last 6 months...
Better serve, esp the 2nd serve
Better fitness
Moving forward and ending points at the net!

It is just taking a little time to put it all together. If she keeps doing all of these things, it will come together and she will win titles again. All of these improvements are coming via her current coach- Staphano. So I dont think a coaching change is in order. They are doing great together!

treufreund
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Jenn gained a crucial break in the first set with a DROPSHOT. She also used a few very good lobs against Kim and threw her off with slices sometimes. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. Saying that she should only bang from the baseline is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. that is what she has been doing for 19 months and LOSING 9 out of her last ten matches against top ten players. Even Kim said afterwards that Jenn's net game threw her off. The variety that jenn can use is important as a surprise component. To win a BP with a drop shot shows just how important SURPRISE can be. Taking your OPPONENT out of her comfort zone on a big point is SMART TENNIS. kim is too good and too consistent and too smart to always blow her away in rallies. kim moves the ball around very well and knows how to place a shot anywhere and how to neutralize and then attack. Just because "jenn was mostly not successful" (which I don't agree with) when mixing it up does not mean it is not a good play. Perhaps she is working on that and getting better at it. I distinctly remember many points that Jenn won based on taking the pace off, using drop shots, loopers, slices, lobs, change-up serve, change up returns and angles with height. That is finesse and is important to buy time and trick the opponent who is like a backboard. YOU GOTTA DO THESE THINGS JENN. Not on every point but there are plenty of pts where Jenn bangs from the back of the court and LOSES the point too. we don't then say "oh jenn should not try that anymore" :rolleyes:

Volcana
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Take a look at Jenn at OZ 2001, and look at her now. Her stomach was FLAT in 2001, not this pudgy little belly she has now. It was her OPPONENTS who wore down in the third. It was JENN who could return the ball forever, knowing her opponent would weaken first.

Her game blossoms to it's fullest when she's in 100% condition, not 95%.

treufreund
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:48 PM
fitness is definitely important. when she is not fit she just does that "blasting away" no matter where she is on the court as her "go to/bail out of the point" play and it doesn't work now cuz Serena/kim/lindsay/momo/juju/whoever are ready for it. and cuz it causes too many errors. when you are fit you play that looper or slice or whatever you need to stay in the point cuz you know you can keep going. and when you are fit you are set up for shots for better and go for them and miss less. so it helps on the OFFENSE and the DEFENSE. in 2003 tennis you must have BOTH offense and defense to win. that's where SERENA is just a touch better than the rest for the most part. Serena has better OFFENSE than most players and in the case of Venus possibly better DEFENSE (although her offense might be better on clay or hard courts especially cuz of her serve)

Hawk
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:57 PM
treufreund I didn't say she was totally unsuccessful when she mixed it up..yes of course she won some points where she changed the pace or hit a dropshot..but she does win the vast majority of her points from the baseline.

I personally don't think her mixing it up is helping her a whole lot. It's not her game that's leting her down in the end..it's her head. She's been banging away from the baseline for 19 months and losing the 3 setters against the top 10 as you say..but how different is her game now from back when she was winning slams? I can't imagine it's changed a whole lot :confused: I don't think she was mixing it up alot when she won her slams...I can't exactly remember so I could be wrong..

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:02 PM
She's not as aggressive . Case in point -v- Serena at Wimbledon. She took a pg. out of Martina's book and let Serena self destruct. After securing the first set instead of stepping up the aggression, she continued to be passive.

tennischick
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:46 AM
honestly somebody has to lose. and unfortunately once she faces the top players, the loser is often Jen. her game is basically find and it can work for her -- if she was fitter. i think that the only thing she needs to change is her physical conditioning. given her style of play, running out of steam is not an option. she needs to work on endurance and attain peak fitness. but her game itself is basically just fine as is.

disposablehero
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:44 AM
The problem is simple. At her best, she is not as good as Serena, Kim, and Venus on any surface. As well, she is only better than Justine on hardcourts and only better than Lindsay on Clay. Amelie is only about a 50/50 shot when Jen is playing well. I don't think there is anything wrong in her game any more so than there is for Katarina Srebotnik or Janet Lee. Some players simply have more ability.

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:23 AM
She needs to dump her bad attitude and coach for good.;)

Mrs. Peel
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Have you ever tried to convince a hard-headed Italian woman to listen to reason? I'm sure it's a short list of coaches who would make themselves available

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :tape:

banana
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Maybe we should compare when Jen was playing her best tennis and now, what has changed

AO 01 is obviously the first place to start: She was so much more aggressive then, i remember against Monica she hit 48 winners!!! was pasting the lines and her serve was probably at the level it is now, but she was also fit, and maybe a little faster then she is now, but deteriation mayb due to getting older!

Wimbledon 01: i believe that tis is when Jen was at her fittest! She looked absolutely amazing!! the jen of now could not pull off a spaghetti strap dress aswell as she did then, she played aggressive and was able to run balls down she neva would have got to now!!

Stanford 03: She looked good on court.....at times, but she seems 2 b carrying that little bit more weight around the stomach then she did 2 years ago! (as she has been 4 the last 18 months, with an exception to US open 2002 and sanex champs) she is still extremely fast mayb even faster than Kim but mayb 2 steps slower then she was 2 years ago

seems as tho' 2 me it is fitness that iz the problem
the mind iz willing, but the body iz not! I am a Capriati fan, but if jen is not willing 2 sweat it out at home she has no chance against these girlz, and may aswell stay at home, she iz not happy being in the finals of tournaments, she knowz she could b winning them!

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:33 AM
nowadays, when Jenn is facing lower ranked players, she strides on the court like an amazon warrior but when facing the top 4 players, she looks like a humbled sheep...very tentative in her shots....BJK can sure help her.:tape:

bello
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:42 AM
FITNESS AND MENTAL EDGE seem to be the areas, especially mental edge..

also yeah she has definately toned down on those winners..

BasicTennis
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:50 AM
using crack has somehow affected her concentration (she's easily distracted).:tape: brain is the first one affected by drugs and this is a fact. she should be thankful though that she survived.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:35 PM
The problem is simple. At her best, she is not as good as Serena, Kim, and Venus on any surface. As well, she is only better than Justine on hardcourts and only better than Lindsay on Clay. Amelie is only about a 50/50 shot when Jen is playing well. I don't think there is anything wrong in her game any more so than there is for Katarina Srebotnik or Janet Lee. Some players simply have more ability.

Are you serious? Did Jennifer not beat Kim in a French Open final? Lindsay in A.O?

What Jennifer is missing is confidence, which in turn makes her less aggressive. Martina Hingis she is not. She can't just get balls back and hope for a mistake, there was an art to Martina's placement, Cap hits it hard up and down the court.

Jennifer's wife
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:49 PM
using crack has somehow affected her concentration (she's easily distracted).:tape: brain is the first one affected by drugs and this is a fact. she should be thankful though that she survived.

whatever! :rolleyes: Fuckin twat
and lets all bring up what a fat bitch Jen is again shall we? oh and throw in the letters BJK for good measure!

another serious interesting thread gets turned into a slaggin Jen fest again :rolleyes:

apart from those trying to have a serious discussion in here that is;)