PDA

View Full Version : Could we have a Williams Quarterfinal at UsOpen ?

gopher
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Note that we wish that of course.
But basically how big are the odds that Davenport overtakes Venus before the Open ?

bis2806
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Very hard to tell..... Lindsay has quite a lot of points to defend... Finals and Semis all the way till the US open...

Hulet
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:02 PM
It all depends on whether or not the drawing committee decide a meeting of williams sisters before the final is good for the tournament or not. If they decide on the latter, I am pretty sure the draw will be fixed so that the sisters are on the different halfs of the draw. But, most likely, after the dibacle of the Wimbledon final, it's a popular opinion that an all-williams final is not good for a tournament, so we might see the sisters meeting at the semi or even before (if venus' ranking keep on dropping).

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:50 PM
The Wimbledon debacle, huh?! As opposed to the French- classic?! :lol:

Come on, Venus is due to return on court about next week. She didnīt play Canada last year, so any point she is losing now.....she can add back. Plus with the health issues Lindsay has I donīt think she can play that much better!

Sam L
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:24 PM
1. Draws cannot be fixed, especially those of seeds. Have you seen those draws been done? Ever?

2. Wimbledon final was a debacle in a sense as Venus lost her 5th grand slam final to Serena. Forget the entertainment value, most people prefer not to know the winner until the last ball is hit. If it's an all-Williams final again, who's going to win? I think that's an easy one.

selesrules
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:36 PM
1. Draws cannot be fixed, especially those of seeds. Have you seen those draws been done? Ever?

Good point, I really don't understand why people are basically acting as if draws are fixed. It's all random and they do it with cameras and without any cheating.

2. Wimbledon final was a debacle in a sense as Venus lost her 5th grand slam final to Serena. Forget the entertainment value, most people prefer not to know the winner until the last ball is hit. If it's an all-Williams final again, who's going to win? I think that's an easy one.

Another good point, the reason why people have gotten bored is mainly because we know the outcome. If Venus was able to beat Serena sometimes, then it would be much more interesting. It's not even a rivalry right now.

Hulet
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Before more misunderstanding ensues, I made that comment with my tongue firmly against my cheek. I don't an all-williams final is debacle or nor do I think the draw is fixed. Sorry for confusing everyone by not inserting thousands of smilies.