PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters sets sights on first Grand Slam victory

TennisHack
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Clijsters sets sights on first grand slam victory
2003-07-28 03:57:59 GMT (Reuters)
By Matthew Cronin

PALO ALTO, California, July 27 (Reuters) - Belgium's Kim Clijsters is slowly closing in on the number one ranking, but it is a first grand slam title that she covets the most.

After she won her fifth title of the year with a 4-6 6-4 6-2 victory over Jennifer Capriati at the Bank of the West Classic on Sunday, Clijsters told Reuters that she's ready to capture her first major.

"I feel ready for a breakthrough," said the world number two, who stands around 200 points behind top-ranked Serena Williams.

"When you are young you don't know what it's like to be in that position all the time, but now I know what it's like to be in the second week of a grand slam and play in the big matches.

"To have that experience makes a big difference ... I now feel a lot more comfortable in vital matches."

This year, Clijsters has competed well in the slams but still managed to lose after holding a 5-1 lead in the deciding set against Serena Williams in the semi-finals of the Australian Open.

She then fell in straight sets to countrywoman Justine Henin-Hardenne in the French Open final and lost to Venus Williams in three sets in the Wimbledon semi-finals.

Even though she has never reached the last four of the U.S. Open, Clijsters reckons hardcourts are her best surface and she may have her best chance of a breakthrough in New York.

"I feel very comfortable playing on hardcourts and have always done well in the tournaments leading up to the U.S. Open," she said.

"It's just a matter of planning well and making sure you are fit enough to keep it up for two weeks there."

FULL SCHEDULE

Clijsters is planning a full playing schedule ahead of the last major of the season including tournaments in San Diego this week, Los Angeles next week and Toronto the week after that.

"On hardcourts, my movement can make a big difference. I feel like I can move 100 percent on them," she said.

The 20-year-old has lost only seven matches this year -- twice to each of the Williams sisters, twice to Henin-Hardenne and to Ai Sugiyama in the final at Scottsdale.

However, she has beaten all of those players and is confident that she can overcome them in a grand slam.

"I think I've shown I can play with anybody, but I haven't been consistent enough thorough the whole match," she said.

"The player in front of you thinks the same thing so it's important to be mentally stronger at the end."

Clijsters has been criticised in some circles for not wanting it enough at the Slams, but the Belgian said she would be raring to go when the U.S. Open began next month.

"I want another chance to go for it, but I'm only 20 and still have a few more years left to go for the grand slams."

sunnysideup
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:05 AM
hmmm...great....I want to see great tennis at the US Open.:)

Come-on-kim
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Kim :bounce:

Hagar
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:56 AM
If Kim plays the way she played yesterday, I think she definitely has a chance for the US Open. I really liked what I saw yesterday. She was aggressive and that's how I like her best.

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:00 AM
I think wimbledon pissed her off :)
maybe it was just what she needed

DunkMachine
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:03 AM
"Clijsters sets sights on the title, but all she can really do is look" :devil:

j/k Good luck to Kim. She can do it

Hagar
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Sounds like Kim starts to want it. Great.

Gunter
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:13 AM
that's an other Kim ;)

Stijn
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:16 AM
*fingers crossed* :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:26 AM
If Kim plays the way she played yesterday, I think she definitely has a chance for the US Open. I really liked what I saw yesterday. She was aggressive and that's how I like her best.
execpt the mistakes she did from 4-1 to 4-6 0-1!!!

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:32 AM
yeah she needs to stay aggresive behavior a whole match. cappy started to play better but that was also because kim started to hold back

hinquit
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:21 AM
She wanted Ausopen most because she won the adidas international
but what happened. She choked in the semi- of the ausopen.
She wanted frenchopen most because she won rome and few tournaments prior but she was bargeled by Henin in the final.
She wanted Winbledom most because she won ordina and was
swept away by Venus. Now she wants US open because she
beat "TIME PAST BY' Capriati.
I can't stand all these hypes about Kim Clijsters from all these
12 year old posters.

tennnisfannn
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Now that is a grand slam winning attitude. Uptill now she has always sounded content to have 'done her best'. This is the beginning of arrogance, it is acknowledging that you got the goods to do it and if you lose it is because you did not play well not necessarily because your opponent was better. Sometimes it is so, but other times she let it slip!
When Serena lost to venus at the USO 2001 she also said she was still young and had a few more years under her belt.
Kim must have say down and considered her losses and knows she should have won a slam already this year. The girl is ready, watch out Serena!

Kirt12255
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:48 AM
:wavey: I can't wait for Kim to win a slam....without a doubt the nicest player on the tour. Unfortunately being Lleytons GF, some of his childish antics rub off on her through the media.

Australian Open was a choke
French was a brain-fart in the final
Wimbledon....Venus had her measure on grass

Realistically....there are few that can challenge the Williams' brute force and crowd support.

Kim.....Athletically can make both Serena and Venus push their shots closer to the sidelines. If either Venus or Serena are at their best then they can't be touched.

Chanda....wildcard

Jen...if in groove can beat anyone.

:wavey:

BasicTennis
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:51 AM
she'll win GS only if she gets rid of Lleyton.:yawn:

SM
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:08 PM
after serena, i think kim will be the player to beat at the Open. Hope she can break-through, she seems ready

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Kim is the second fav after Serena for the U.S. open?! Hmmm....Kimīs great on hardcourts, but remember that thereīs still another Williams out there! Take into account that Venus has reached the finals the last three times running and has NEVER lost before the semiīs at the Open.

To me Kim is at best third best on the list of favīs for the title. What looks great against Jen, doesnīt mean it will look great against a Williams, īcause Jen canīt serve for her life!

Pureracket
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:34 PM
I liked that Kimmie comment up to the last sentence.

NOW is the time, KIM!!!!!

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:06 PM
She better be ready indeed! Already twenty and still no brass ring! Can she either Williams on their favourite surface though?!

jenglisbe
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Kirt - Kim choked away the 2nd set against Venus, and then Venus played too well in the 3rd set

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:01 PM
She wanted frenchopen most because she won rome and few tournaments prior but she was bargeled by Henin in the final.
12 year old posters.

so kim can't believe in her chances because of the mighty serena and venus? :lol:

why do they even play the tournament anyway, give serena the title since she will win anyway;)

Joana
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Well she does play really well now, but don't forget that US Open was all about the Williams sisters for past couple of years. I still think they're the best on American hardcourts. Kim's best chance is Australian Open IMO.

Bigkimfan
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:03 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: Kim, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:13 PM
It wasn't clear which Slam she had her eyes on winning. I'll assume it's next years French Open.

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Good luck Kim :). But I'm positive Venus will hoist that title :bounce: :bounce:

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Kim can be all the ready she want, but I donīt think she can beat either Williams on hardcourts yet, īcause there is nothing Kim does that they donīt do better. Plus they will always have the edge in the serve....

Her chance is on the slower-bouncing courts.

Ryan
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:44 PM
12 year old posters.

It was written an article, someone professional who says she wants it. These "12 year old posters" make more sense then a tard like you and support their fave, instead of bashing other peoples favorites.

Kim is the #2 fave behidn Serena. Venus is still injured, and there is NO CLUE as to how she will play at the US Open. Healthy, she is my second choice. But if she comes in less then 100% Kim could beat her if they play in the semis.

lurker
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:11 PM
At first my reaction to Kim's ability to win the US Open was, "yeah right" but then I remembered her 'coming out' year in 1999 when she was serving for the match against Serena in the third round. Yes, she choked and Serena went on to win the whole thing.

But reading Kim's current comments, I gotta like her attitude. And her game IS suited for the hard courts, especially in drier conditions though. The New York humidity won't help her. She needs to concentrate through the early rounds, something she didn't do too well the last 3 years. Then she needs to be mentaly tough against the big time players the second week, something she hasn't done well this year. In lesser tournaments, she's been able to do it, especially yesterday against Capriati, who I'd say was playing exceptionally well from the last half of the first set all the way through the end of the second set.

But I'm worried that playing Stanford, San Diego, LA and Toronto all in a row with only the one week to rest before the US Open might be a bad idea. Kim needs to reach semis or finals (or win) in each of these tournaments to keep up the momentum and her 'awe factor' against the rest of the field...that's a LOT of tennis!! Will she be too tired at the US Open?

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Favorites for the US Open

Serena
Venus
Kim

If Kim were to beat either Venus or Serena it would be considered an upset.

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Yes....THAT would be an upset. Kim beating either Serena or Venus at the Open.

jenny161185
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:36 PM
I thin Kim should have beaten Venus at Wimbledon she just did nt keep her agression up for earlier in the match - still though I willl call it an upset if she beats venus/serena - hope she does - love to see a capriati - kim USOPEN final!

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:39 PM
6-2 6-1 in the second and third sets is should have? She didn't even come close. The set she did win was a struggle....That match was only close on paper.

5-1 up in the third A.O. she should have found a way to win, but could do nothing but watch as Serena steamrolled her the rest of the set.

TennisHack
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Kim is similar to Lleyton in that she needs to play a lot in order to keep up her level of play. I liked what I saw yesterday vs Capriati and if she can play like that, she certainly has just as good a shot as anyone else at the Open.

Why should she get rid of Lleyton in order to win a Slam? His dogged persistence and arrogance (not in full force his year because of his childish grudge with the ATP) could and should inspire Kim to play her best and stay deep.