PDA

View Full Version : Martina Navratilova played 2 WTT Singles matches!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:22 AM
She beat Brie Rippner 5-1 :eek: but lost to Maria Sharapova. Apparently the match against Sharapova was close, with almost all the games going to deuce and Maria just squeaking through in these no-ad games. Even though Brie is retired or semi-retired or something like that, it's very impressive that Martina can dominate a player of Rippner's calibre so thoroughly at her age!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:23 AM
She beat Brie Rippner 5-1 :eek: but lost to Maria Sharapova. Apparently the match against Sharapova was close, with almost all the games going to deuce and Maria just squeaking through in these no-ad games. Even though Brie is retired or semi-retired or something like that, it's very impressive that Martina can dominate a player of Rippner's calibre so thoroughly at her age!

BTW, Maria won her match against Martina 5-2

F-R-E-A-K
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:28 AM
lol hahaha GO MARIA!

SM
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:56 AM
wow :o...martina was close to beating both players!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:51 PM
You give Brie too much credit.

SM
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:56 PM
i have seen Brie play Serena at the adidas last year i think and she certainly plays a solid game with top 100 ability IMO.

Can you think of many other players of Martina;s age who could beat Brie so comprehensively? :retard:

Darran
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Virginia Wade maybe?

SM
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:10 PM
yeah ginnie would thrash both brie and maria!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:14 PM
VSFan, Rippner did qualify for the US Open last year as well take a set of Henin at Wimbledon that year, so she certainly isn't a slouch. I think the only reason she hasn't been playing is because she is so damn injury prone. It's certainly a good effort by Martina to pull that off. I think if she came back to the tour in singles, she might even pull off a ranking close to 50

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:13 PM
I know how good Brie is ;) I'm saying, although she is an adequate player, her attitude makes her deserve no recognition for whatever achievements she gets.