PDA

View Full Version : Will Kim beat Serena at the US Open, win the title and take the no.1 spot?

selesrules
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:19 AM
I say yes. Her time has finally come.

Ting
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Not sure. I have been wishing so since AO this year and now see what she has done in the GS so far...well I sure hope she does though!

Knizzle
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:22 AM
I doubt it. If V and S get put on the same side, then that is a big plus for Clijsters, but if V and S are on opposite sides, Clijsters has little to no chance IMHO because Venus would be in her semi.

Blazedboy
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:22 AM
haha I dont think shes winning a grand slam anytime soon

fammmmedspin
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:24 AM
possibly, possibly, very possibly

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Hmmm....does this say something: the last FOUR opens have been won by a Williams! On hardcourts itīs just hard for people to beat them, specially Kim. īCause thereīs nothing Kim that the sisters donīt do better. The only way is that Serena and Venus are on the same half and tire each other out. Otherwise......wait till next year for slam no.1 for Kimmie girl!

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:51 AM
No. Venus and Serena, especially Venus, really want to win this one. Kim will not win on the hardcourts of New York....ever. Hopefully, Venus will lift her 5th Grand Slam Trophy!

Gowza
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:55 AM
i don't think so. the us open seems to be really dominated by the americans. however seles won't be there (will she?) so that opens up a spot but there will still be venus, serena, lindsay and jen. something else that concerns me is that match kim had with kuznetsova last year at the us open.

TSequoia01
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Kim's best chance will be if Vee and Ree end up on the same side. I don't think she can beat Venus if she is healthy. :cool:

harloo
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Kim will be given an easy draw as usual and get to the semis where she will run into a williams, and come up short again. :D

PointBlank
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:14 AM
hey i made it even at 6 all!

gopher
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Her time has definitely come and she is clearly a superior player than the WS. An overloaded schedule and a weak coach stands in the way of that GS win this year though.
The press will be all over her and she will win the Australian Open 2004 thanks to some focus.

My prediction :

- She grabs that #1 spot and looses the final against Serena Williams.
- Kim Clijsters wins the Australian Open 2004.

PointBlank
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:36 AM
No 7 All !

goodolvs
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:21 AM
if i say
the US champ should be VENUS!!!
and SERENA reminds on the NO.1!!!

BasicTennis
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Serena will defend her title successfully.;)

TeeRexx
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Will Kim be able to get by a VENUS playing at 90% + this time? Hmm, not to likely it would seem. :)

LucasArg
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:06 AM
No, Kim wont win it.

Becool
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:14 AM
yadda yadda yadda! she won't :dance:

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:17 AM
if she loses the first set who knows;)

fleemkeģ
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:51 AM
No I don't think so . . .

Hulet
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:55 AM
If Serena keeps on losing focus to things outside tennis, and kim keeps on improving on her excellent form and doesn't get fatigued, yes she will beat Serena, win USO and get the #1 as bonus too.

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Do u really wanna bet on Kim for the Open title?! Serena is the master at shutting up all talk! When people started to hail Justine is Serena-stopper, she came out and destroyed her at Wimby. Simply put does someone really believe that if Serena was playing Kim with the no.1 ranking on the line, that Serena would lose this match in any way?!

The Open will stay in the Williams family. Their records there says it all:
Venus: 35-4, 2 titles and runner-up twice, reached the last three finals and has never lost before the semiīs.
Serena:25-3, 2 titles and runner-up once.

Compare this to Kim whoīs never even reached the semiīs yet and in the one qrtrs, she was easily dispatched by Venus. I think itīs fair to say that on hardcourts Venus is close to unbeatable and that you have to do something really special to beat her. Donīt think Kim has that one special thing....yet!

hingis-seles
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Ofcourse she won't!

The US Open always rigs the draw in favour of the Williams Sisters. From 1998-2002, there was only one ocassion when they had to be put in opposite halves(2002). And we all know how many times they've been in the same half at the US Open.

Hulet
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Ah, but you missed the trend this year, hingis-seles. Tournament officials are fixing the draw in favour of kim and I don't see that changing until the end of the year. So, yes ofcourse she will.

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Now THAT is a trend worth noticing! At the oz: Serena had Monica AND Kim back to back just to reach the finals. Kim?! Didnīt face anyone until Serena. At the French: Serena was scheduled to meet the last two players who has beaten her back to back. Kim?! Her first test didnīt come until the finals!! At Wimby: Serena: same again....Jen and Justine back to back. Kim: no test until Venus!

I mean whoīs the no.1?! Last time I checked it was Serena.
Isnīt it she thatīs supposed to have the cake-draws and not the no.2?!

Come-on-kim
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:05 PM
I'm sure she's able to win a GS, will it be the US Open? Dunno, but I really hope she'll win one soon!

ans
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Venus and Serena, especially Venus, really want to win this one.

yeah, I really want to win this one too. So you'd better all put your bets on me.

Dymension
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:04 PM
I hope she can :D

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:24 PM
No best chance is at the French.

If Venus is healthy, or even %10 better health than Wimby, Kim can't beat her. It's too bad Venus can't get both Belgians in her half, she could use the bonus points.

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Only chance for Kim to even reach the final is to pray that Venus is in Serenaīs half....īcause the only player who can beat a healthy Venus on hardcourts is Serena. Kimīs good but I canīt see her beating a healthy Venus on hardcourts!

mboyle
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Serena will win of course. Venus might reach a final and choke like she always does, but Venus isn't gonna win. Quite honestly, I think the best matchup would be a Serena vs. Jennifer final. Jenn would lose of course, but at least it would be high quality:sad: . Or maybe a Kim vs. Serena final. That would be exciting. Still, Serena isn't going to lose in the US Open, barring some totally unforseen circumstances, for the next couple of years;) . She is just too good on American Hardcourts.

great smash
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Serena will win of course. Venus might reach a final and choke like she always does, but Venus isn't gonna win. Quite honestly, I think the best matchup would be a Serena vs. Jennifer final. Jenn would lose of course, but at least it would be high quality:sad: . Or maybe a Kim vs. Serena final. That would be exciting. Still, Serena isn't going to lose in the US Open, barring some totally unforseen circumstances, for the next couple of years;) . She is just too good on American Hardcourts.

Let's acknowledge Serena's accomplishments so far. They have been quite spectacular. But why look so far into the future?
Just look at Hingis' 97 season and the same way you're drawing conclusions now, you should have concluded back then she was bound to win nearly every tournament for years to come. We all know things did not turn out that way...

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Serena already has proven to be more dominating than Hingis was. Hingis had ONE great year, but Serenaīs already having TWO. So sheīs already eclipsed Hingis in that aspect, so itīs justified to look ahead.

I canīt see Serena losing on hardcourts to a player other than Venus or vice versa. All the people who think that Kim beat either of them on hardcourts....thatīs wishful thinking. They OWN the Open and that will always be so!

great smash
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Serena already has proven to be more dominating than Hingis was. Hingis had ONE great year, but Serenaīs already having TWO. So sheīs already eclipsed Hingis in that aspect, so itīs justified to look ahead.

I canīt see Serena losing on hardcourts to a player other than Venus or vice versa. All the people who think that Kim beat either of them on hardcourts....thatīs wishful thinking. They OWN the Open and that will always be so!

All I'm saying is 1 great season doesn't garantee you a second.

Nor do two great season garantee you two more.

She may very well have a brilliant 2004. You should just wait and see instead of already looking ahead before she even won this year.

SerenaSlam
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:00 PM
If Serena keeps on losing focus to things outside tennis, and kim keeps on improving on her excellent form and doesn't get fatigued, yes she will beat Serena, win USO and get the #1 as bonus too.
i never knew she actually "lost" focus. when did this happen? did she loose already? no-one nows what type of focus serena is in until she plays her first match. makin these assumptions is pitiful.

But no, this is williams majory domination time. venus and serena over the past like 4 years have dominated wimbledon through usopen. its a traditon they have always done. they've won the past 4 wimbledons, and the past 4 usopens. and hell venus won 3 out of the the like 5 big hardcourt tournies last year. kim's biggest chances are against a tired williams, or on clay.

w/ that said, she will not beat a williams in this tournie. but she may get to number 1, and loose it before the season ender. its clear already serena is going to be number 1 at the end of the year, and she can really keep it from now to the end of the year. kim is really defending at the end of the year, where as if i remember correctly, serena w/drew from like 2-3 tournies last year at the end? so she can still add points although she has 2 tournies to defend then as well.

I also think the answer to this question will be if they meet before the usopen. they could've should've met yesturday but serena w/drew. I think they may meet next sunday. and we will see how it turns out!

macn
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Poor Kim, she will probably choke if she was to play Serena!

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Well said Serenaslam. The sisters, specially Venus,only get started when the summer arrives. Look at the past years and itīs clear that Venus and Serena have been the best two players from Wimbledon through the US open. Thatīs fact. 4 wimbledons and 4 us opens, going for 5 straight, should say it all!