PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis...why tennis wouldn't be the same

Martian Mel
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Sunday January 27, 03:07 PM

Martina Hingis...why tennis wouldn't be the same

When you think of Martina Hingis, you think champion, tennis legend, number 1 in the world. When you think of tennis, you think of Martina Hingis.....
Martina Hingis is a 5 time grand slam singles winner and a winner of 39 singles titles. She seems like a veteran of tennis, when infact she is the youngest player in the top 4! Women's tennis has accellerated over the past few years, a lot of the acceleration is due to Hingis, who dominated the WTA tour from 1997 through to 1999 and still today has only just lost the number 1 ranking and will without a doubt regain it.

Although Hingis hasn't won a Grand Slam title since the Australian Open 1999, she has been a finalist in 12 Grand Slams and just recently reached her sixth consecutive Australian Open Final.

Now in 2002, Hingis looks better than ever - hitting the ball with more power and precision and is finally happy in her personal life - which was a huge downfall in her game in 2001.

An exploitation of Hingis' failures have hurt her media wise and personally. Everyone seems to focus on the negative points of her career, every champion has negative points, but everyone seems to forget all the incredible positives. With many titles to her name - youngest n umber 1 ever, youngest player ever to win a Grand Slam in the Open Era, 4th in number of weeks spent at number 1, Hingis still has the fire in her belly and the passion for tennis.

Alot of the players on the WTA have forgotten the passion, Hingis being the expception. She loves tennis, and the tennis world love Hingis. Having asked many people who they thought of when I said the word "tennis", 9/10 of the times they said Martina Hingis. She has had such an impact on the tennis world, and still to this day and beyond continues to weave her magic on the court.

Tennis would suffer if they didn't have Hingis, who would be the consistent star to appear at and win many tournaments a year? Who would be the genius of tennis history? Who would be so passionate about the sport and support it 100%? The answer is, no one could, not up to Hingis' standard anyway.

So as we look forward to yet another successful season on the tour in 2002, Tennis should thank their lucky stars they have such an incredible talent on their WTA tour in Martina Hingis.

wow this IS THE BEST ARTICLE I'VE EVER READ :kiss: :hearts:

peanuts
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:16 PM
did u wrote this...if not, where did u get this stuff?

a bit overdone but very optimistic which is d exact opposite of wat's being written abt her these days :confused:

:wavey:

Sam L
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:20 PM
"She loves tennis, and the tennis world love Hingis."

Um, I don't know about the latter. The French crowd absolutely hates her. The Wimbledon crowd is always lukewarm to her. The American crowds despises her, especially with the many American players now. And even the Australian crowds don't really like her anymore. I wouldn't say the tennis world is in love with her.

Honestly there are many who wish she'd go away for good.

Which is why sometimes I wish Hingis wasn't playing anymore just to see how exciting the tour will still be, the quality of matches, the rivalries etc...

irma
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Nobody is bigger as the sport tennis, Martina is neither. <BR>I love Monica`s sentence in 95: "I can live without tennis, tennis can live without me, but together we just both do better" I think you can say the same about Martina and more players. I don`t understand why people wants players to go away who they dislike or are no fan off, wouldn`t that be more boring?:cool:

barmaid
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:58 PM
This post is for Sam L: After showing us a simply gorgeous picture of Martina in her younger years...you go on to say that you feel she is hated at the French Open, Wimbledon & U. S. Open...I beg to differ with you Sam....even after her devasting defeat in Australia..apparently she received more fan support than Jennifer...she has ALWAYS been a favorite at Wimbledon....the French of course are still on her case but a win there would change everything and she is definitely not hated in the U.S. Just look at any of Martina's many fan boards and realize how very popular she is...if not adored by millions!! I rest my case!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
barmaid:wavey:

auntie janie
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Hingisova, can you please post the source of this article? Thank you!

Jamy
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:07 PM
I finally got the heart to watch the replay between Martina and Jen at AO. Martina played a perfect game up to the the tie break when her endurance gave out. Jen played tough, but Martina outplayed her up to that point. Martina is a champion and regardless of who likes her or don't like her, she has earned her place in the tennis world. If she never wins another slam, she has given the world a look at how a natural tennis player performs on the court. Love you Martina!

Martian Mel
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Janie it was on www.rivals.net

:wavey:

A4
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Natural tennis player, my ass. Am I allowed to say that? Everyone in the top ten is a natural. And is just as talented, if not more so than Miss Hingis.
And to other whining people. Please stop whining about Hingis being hated and maligned bla bla bla. Next time I look, the liberal media will be hatching diabolical plans to get her ........
It gets soooo irritating. Just check these boards for instance. Hingis has the highest personal following, based on the results of recent polls. I'd say thats pretty reflective of the outer world. So please stop the whining.

Jamy
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:00 AM
A4! Where did you come from??? you Poor, Poor, poor soul.

A4
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:09 AM
I came from a place where dogs take hefty chunks out of anyone called Jamy!

Keith
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Well, I think she makes tennis better-Every slam people wonder if she could finally win it...Plus she is talented, and she certainly is good for the game...BUT

That article was written as masturbation material for some obsessed fan.

Jamy
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:58 AM
O.K. A4. I promise I won't go around you. You sound RABID to me. No more response to you either. Chow.

A4
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Rabid? I kinda like that. One more description of poor me.

Bright Red
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Tennis wouldn't be the same whether Martina stays or not. This sport is so unlike many others--especially team sports, in that all your eggs are pretty much in one basket: your fave. Sure you may like a few others, but your eyes are glued to the set if your fave is playing, and you would be upset if anyone else beats her. Each year your fave ages a bit more, and the clock keeps ticking. Your fave eventually reaches a peak in her career and then starts to decline as you hold on to the dream that the fire can somehow burn as brightly as it once did before. Then she retires, and you feel like a 30 year-old attending your old high schools football matches with almost a half-hearted interest in the players on the field.

So if you are a diehard of a particular player, then each year holds something new and different. For most of Hingis fans, today's tennis is completely different than in 1997. This isn't to say she's already peaked or is in final decline, but she will eventually go through the full cycle and retire, and you will become just another alumnus/alumna of the diehard tennis fan club.

RockSteady
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Hingis DOES have more natural talent than any tennis player, ever. Her size is all that limits her potential. I mean, A4, you say everyone else is as naturally talented? Really? Because Hingis' game is the most superfluous of anyones...she moves and strikes more gracefully than any player I've seen. The Williams sisters, Kournikova, and Seles may be as good as Hingis, but they are just plain awkward with most of their shots.

Adrian
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:48 AM
A4, you have some serious problems, get on with cheering your faves and leave the players and fans, you obviously hate so much, to themselves.

A4
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:08 AM
With all due respect, Rocksteady, if you want graceful moves, go watch figure-skating.
Jennyfan, the obsessed fan's first name was Adrian.

jomar
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:36 AM
well A4, is just wounded up to now that her favorite's best and power is only good up to the semis.hehehe:p

indeed a very true and encouraging article.:angel: :bounce: :kiss: