PDA

View Full Version : Justine during the hardcourt season

shap_half
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:18 PM
hey stats people, how well would justine need to perform in the three tournaments she's entered during the hard season in order to keep it close to the top 2?
*thanks y'all

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jul 27th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Not particularly badly. Clijsters can't gain much since she's got lots of points in her 18th best already. Venus can't gain any points since she won all three events she played in the run-up to the US Open.

Henin-Hardenne should remain #3 through the US Open.

shap_half
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Well do you know what it would take to be considerably clooose to the top 2?

~|Naomi|~
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Well do you know what it would take to be considerably clooose to the top 2?

A heck of a lot as Kim is over 1000 points ahead :) And given Henin has never won a title on american hardcourts or been in a final and Kim just wo her thrid final on em, Justine is going to have to play incredibly well and hope to put in her best US Open performance ever

Hingiswinsthis
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:55 AM
but given the way she improved this year she should atleast gain points this week and in Toronto.......;)

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:58 AM
but given the way she improved this year she should atleast gain points this week and in Toronto.......;)

yes, maybe but as Kim&Lleyton... said the difference is over 1,000 points and even though Justine has nothing to defend in San Diego, only quarters in Toronto and 4th round US Open, Kim doesn't have much either. Justine can get closer during the indoor season but I don't think before US Open.

shap_half
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:03 AM
yes, maybe but as Kim&Lleyton... said the difference is over 1,000 points and even though Justine has nothing to defend in San Diego, only quarters in Toronto and 4th round US Open, Kim doesn't have much either. Justine can get closer during the indoor season but I don't think before US Open.

ok well what are her chances during the indoor season?

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:19 AM
ok well what are her chances during the indoor season?

well, it's difficult to know without knowing their schedule, Justine is playing Linz, Kim is playing Luxembourg, both are playing Zurich.

This is what each of them is defending after US Open

Kim:

Tokyo: 210
Leipzig: 94
Filderstadt: 378
Zurich: 107
Luxembourg: 200
LA: 750

Justine:

Leipzig: 127
Filderstadt: 1
Zurich: 169
Linz: 311
LA: 144

the whole difference is practically in two tournaments, the WTA Championships and Filderstadt, but I doubt Justine will play Filderstadt this year since she said she doesn't want to play 3 weeks in a row and I don't know if Kim is playing Shanghai that replaces Tokyo

shap_half
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:25 AM
well, it's difficult to know without knowing their schedule, Justine is playing Linz, Kim is playing Luxembourg, both are playing Zurich.

This is what each of them is defending after US Open

Kim:

Tokyo: 210
Leipzig: 94
Filderstadt: 378
Zurich: 107
Luxembourg: 200
LA: 750

Justine:

Leipzig: 127
Filderstadt: 1
Zurich: 169
Linz: 311
LA: 144

the whole difference is practically in two tournaments, the WTA Championships and Filderstadt, but I doubt Justine will play Filderstadt this year since she said she doesn't want to play 3 weeks in a row and I don't know if Kim is playing Shanghai that replaces Tokyo

Thank you Fingon...how about Serena?

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Thank you Fingon...how about Serena?

you are abusing my goodwill :)

after US Open

Tokyo: 264
Leipzig: 291
WTA Championships: 484

for the record, these are the points defended at the US Open by the top 3

Serena: 1,048
Kim: 122
Justine: 122

shap_half
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:44 AM
you are abusing my goodwill :)

after US Open

Tokyo: 264
Leipzig: 291
WTA Championships: 484

for the record, these are the points defended at the US Open by the top 3

Serena: 1,048
Kim: 122
Justine: 122

Ok that's it no more questions from me...maybe I can I abuse you another way?? :lol:

Well then i think unless Serena plays just about a few more events Kim is due to take over as the new no.1

Fingon
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Ok that's it no more questions from me...maybe I can I abuse you another way?? :lol:

keep asking questions

shap_half
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:52 AM
keep asking questions

:lol: i like you, you're great!!!

jenglisbe
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Kim does look likely to overtake #1 by the end of the Open (barring injury) as she only has to keep making SF as she has been doing.

It will be interesting to see if Serena then enters more events in the fall. I give Kim a good chance to defend most/all of her point from the fall of 2002 as she is playing just as well this year, and I don't see her having trouble defending her titles (except at the Championships).

alexusjonesfan
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:58 AM
I had thought Justine had a much worse indoor season last year than she actually had. Thanks for the info Fingon :wavey: