PDA

View Full Version : What does Jen need to bring to the table against Kim?

tennnisfannn
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:00 AM
At this point I think it is fair to throw out their H2H simply because Kim is not the same player she was in her previous losses against Jen. She has gone from a mere top tenner to a solid top three.
The general consensus on this board seems to be that both play a similar defensive game. They can rally till 12/10 in third, each waiting for a moment of weakness to strike the fatal blow.
Kim goes in as the heavy favourite, she has had a stellar year and winning titles comes more easily to her than it does for jen. Kim needs to play her game. It is good enough but she needs to put her foot down till the matchpoint is won coz jen won't budge.
Jen on the other hand knows she has beaten Kim in the past and doesn't want the trend to turn like it did against serena. She needs to arrest the trend now. She wants this title and will not be denied. She already had a scare against Raymond and knows that she has got to win this in two. She has lost too many tough three setters to top players but if there is anyone who can start again like the past never happened, it is jen.
Both have the game to win it, it boils down to whose juices are sizzling more.
Good luck girls, maybe the best fighter win! :drool:

ys
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:02 AM
All Jennifer needs to do is to keep her nerve. She is a better and more accomplished hardcourt player. If she loses, it will mostly likely be not due to being outplayed, but rather because of cracking under pressure in crunch time.

Knizzle
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:06 AM
She needs to go for her shots, no tenative play. Strike with the forehand at every opportunity. She needs to keep her backhand strokes deep in the court. This is her weakness. Too many have picked on her backhand in big matches. Lastly she can't let line calls ruin the match for her. She comes unraveled by these too easily. Of course mix up the serve well and keep the double faults low. I'm picking a resurgent Capriati in three tough sets 6-4, 3-6, 7-5.

Trish101
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:09 AM
IF Jennifer wats to win this match, against an opponent who is VERY deadly....she needs to be and stay aggresive and DICTATE most of the points. Jennifer really needs to asert herself immidiately and not back down in the second set.

Jennifer has the game to win any match against anyone, she has not played her best tennis so far, i dont think, but shes played good enough to make it this far. Her best tennis needs to come out against Clijsters if she stands any chances! COME ON JEN!

predictions...Clijsters...3 sets :(

disposablehero
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:40 AM
All Jennifer needs to do is to keep her nerve. She is a better and more accomplished hardcourt player. If she loses, it will mostly likely be not due to being outplayed, but rather because of cracking under pressure in crunch time.
You just go with that.

E. Blackadder
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Jen knows how to give anyone on tour a good run, a very good run, but just can't finish. This is another one that is destined to go to 3 sets

irma
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:59 AM
oh my goodness kim didn't even play yet and people make already excuses why she might win :rolleyes:

E. Blackadder
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:05 AM
oh my goodness kim didn't even play yet and people make already excuses why she might win :rolleyes:

i di'nt make up an excuse. I just want to say that Kim'll have to make Jen beat herself ;)

irma
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:07 AM
I meant ys;)

irma
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:20 AM
it's ridiculous to say kim can't win except when cappy chokes and about her so much more impressive american hardcourt results. most are from the early ninties that's not relevant today

FS
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Jenn remainss a dangerous player but Kim is the more talented of the two.;) whoever chokes first would lose the title. :tape:

SM
Jul 27th, 2003, 12:24 PM
thats a pretty bold statement to make, that kim is more talented of the two! in the past 3 years jens won 3 slams and been to no.1...kim has won zero slams and if she gets to #1 i still dont think shed be entirely deserving, or atleast notas much as jen was when she got there.

Filip!
Jul 27th, 2003, 12:46 PM
thats a pretty bold statement to make, that kim is more talented of the two! in the past 3 years jens won 3 slams and been to no.1...kim has won zero slams and if she gets to #1 i still dont think shed be entirely deserving, or atleast notas much as jen was when she got there.

Kim is just playing a few years! So your remark has no value, you also have to mention the difference, Jen is already playing so long, Kim is still pretty new!

Weeping Willow
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:04 PM
can't wait till the match starts :bounce:

Hagar
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:43 PM
I think Kim can beat Jennifer without Jennifer's help.

Mase
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Jenny needs to bring her serve to the match, she could use some free points and that will definitley help.. Her droughts going to be over, Jen in 2 sets!

Fantastic
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:07 PM
My intuition tells me Jennifer will win, but Kim has proven me wrong before. It's a very even match and they both have a chance. I'm hoping Kim will win, but I pick Jennifer because she's deadlier on hardcourts, she strikes the ball a lot harder than Kim and is just as fast as her. Both are great fighters and show courage under fire. I'd give the edge to Kim in consistency. She will need that edge to beat Jennifer.

jmp
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:10 PM
"What does Jen need to bring to the table against Kim?"

Jennifer needs to attack every short ball, go for pure winners if she can keep the UEs down, and keep the rallies short.

I am shocked and really, really happy ESPN is televising this match. :eek: :D :D I wouldn't have looked for it or known about it if it hadn't been for the thread on this board. Thanks, everyone! :D :wavey:

Good luck, Jennifer! :) Good luck, Kim! :)

(:topic: I'm looking for a board member who lives in Scotland, preferably near Glasgow. Please PM me. Thanks!)

jenny161185
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:18 PM
i think as others have said jen has to be ffiring her forehand and striking the ball cleanly - i hope she can come to net aswell to finish off some points. I pick jenny in three :)

Jennifer's wife
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:01 PM
All Jen needs to bring to the court is her sexy ass and a good serve!! :p if she stays focussed and keeps her foot on the accelerator she'll win. :)

DEETHELICK
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Jen needs to shorten points i.e. use the net, take on overheads and put the ball away.

She needs to be aggressive and let her forehand do the damage and use her BH to her advantage a bit more.

Serve-wise, just keep her nerve, Kim's serve is not that great either and Jen is a fantastic returner, so if she was broken, I feel Jen could always break back.

Be ready to run like hell! :)

In terms of hardcourts, Jennifer is a bit more stronger than Kim, because of her heavy groundstrokes. Plus Jen has more explosiveness than Kim (from the matches I've seen). Jennifer is a better player than she was in Berlin, so Kim is gona have a struggle!

Jen: 6-4 3-6 6-2 :)

Malin
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Kim is really nowhere near the player that Jen is. I believe that kim is very overrated, just look at her head to head against all the top players. She isn't a number 1 player even if she does beat Jen today.

Primula
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Kim is really nowhere near the player that Jen is. I believe that kim is very overrated, just look at her head to head against all the top players. She isn't a number 1 player even if she does beat Jen today.

To me you're just another sad person! Please support you're favs, don't bash on the others!

Elleke
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:31 PM
To me you're just another sad person! Please support you're favs, don't bash on the others!
well said :yeah:

ys
Jul 27th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Jen needs to shorten points i.e. use the net, take on overheads and put the ball away.

She needs to be aggressive and let her forehand do the damage and use her BH to her advantage a bit more.

Serve-wise, just keep her nerve, Kim's serve is not that great either and Jen is a fantastic returner, so if she was broken, I feel Jen could always break back.

Be ready to run like hell! :)

In terms of hardcourts, Jennifer is a bit more stronger than Kim, because of her heavy groundstrokes. Plus Jen has more explosiveness than Kim (from the matches I've seen). Jennifer is a better player than she was in Berlin, so Kim is gona have a struggle!

Jen: 6-4 3-6 6-2 :)

I am quite sure that at some point of match Jennifer will be in winning posistion. But outlasting Kim in threesetter? Nah..

Dawn Marie
Jul 27th, 2003, 07:56 PM
They both play one way so whoever steps it up and goes to plan B and excecutes will win.

The first serve will of course be the key here and whoever gets that serve in has the better chance.

Although I think it is going to come down to hits the ball the deepest cause frankly neither one posess a Plan B. So whoever can get to net the most often to hit that short ball will win.

If I had to pic right now Kim it will be Kim in two easy sets 6/3 6/3 with Jennifer losing her mind and cursing and thus losing concentration and making three to ten errors to give Kim about two games.

May the both of you run your asses all over the court for the obvious reasons.

What time will this be televised? what channel?

Mase
Jul 27th, 2003, 07:58 PM
ESPN2- 7pm EST Dawn.

Dava
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:01 PM
They actually have stikignly similar games, and Jne really need to win in straight sets or a I cvant see her lasting physically.

disposablehero
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:02 PM
A doubles partner.

disposablehero
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:05 PM

I am looking at her head to head against all the top players. for the past 2 years, its much better than Jen's. I love how you start your paragraph with "Kim is nowhere near the player that Jen is" and end it with a disclaimer about Kim winning today.

Dawn Marie
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Ok thanks alot MASE!:)

disposablehero
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:40 PM

Let me know how that whole thing turns out.

Annarocks
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Some Cream Cheese to eat her bagels...and maybe some pizza sauce for those breadsticks....hehe....lol.

jojoseph
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:35 AM

It seems to be somewhat along the lines of this...however, I think that at age 27, playing doubles should be used sparingly. It definitely had an effect on her this week as she was totally carrying the load for Daniella. She was too spent for the third set.