PDA

View Full Version : What's the single best performance by a player this year?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:52 AM
My pick is Lindsay Davenport's win over Patty Schnyder in Charleston. On her worst surface, having not played a clay tournament in a few years, she thrashed Schnyder 6-1 6-1. Patty even said after the match that was the best anyone has ever played against her. Her winner/error ratio was 3:1! There were only a handful of points that match Patty was in control of. Truly amazing tennis on Lindsay's part and will probably be the last great match of her career...

PointBlank
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:54 AM
amelies win over serena .. that was unbelivavble i thought shed get 6-0 6-0

azza
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Umm Serenas win over Kim in The AO down 2-5 winning the next 5 games ina row!

darrinbaker00
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:20 AM
I'm going to have to go with Bradshaw on this one. Serena's Oz Open win over Clijsters is clearly the best comeback win of the year, and Venus' Big W win over Clijsters (poor Kim) is the most courageous performance, but for a bad clay-court player like Davenport to pimp-slap a pretty good clay-court player like Schnyder, especially after not playing on the dirt for such a long time, is Impressive with a capital I. ;)

Hingiswinsthis
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Justine's RG SEMI win over Serena.......the scoreline reminds me of the Hingis Serena AO QRT 2001;)

Venus Forever
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:26 AM
amelies win over serena .. that was unbelivavble i thought shed get 6-0 6-0

This post makes no sense.

If you thought she would win 6-0 6-0, then why did she win 1-6 7-6 6-3??

PointBlank
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:27 AM
i thought shed lose 6-0 6-0

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Justine's RG SEMI win over Serena.......the scoreline reminds me of the Hingis Serena AO QRT 2001;)

You have really bad standards if your "best performance" is cheating to win... :rolleyes:

Nothing personal to you, but I just can't stand it when people talk about JuJu's win how it was such a great comeback. :mad:

PointBlank
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:31 AM
she maybe cheated on 1 point not all of them......i dont like justine either but still she won the match know one can change it

Hingiswinsthis
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:34 AM
You have really bad standards if your "best performance" is cheating to win... :rolleyes:

Nothing personal to you, but I just can't stand it when people talk about JuJu's win how it was such a great comeback. :mad:

God.......i thought people have gotten past this.......clearly not. :rolleyes:

ANYWAYS, looking besides that Justine played pretty well. Enuff said. Have a nice day :wavey:

ys
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Dementieva's win at AI. First, beating a player otherwise unbeatable on clay. Then, beating former #1 for the first title.

Fingon
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:53 AM

it was a great comeback, too bad if you can't stand it :lol:

Mr. Man
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:59 AM
azza, Serena was down 1:5... not 2:5.

but..yes. Serena's win over Kim- AO semi. Just showed you that Serena is a true champion/fighter.

Mr. Man
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:03 AM
it was a great comeback, too bad if you can't stand it :lol:
And it will forever be known that Justine is a bad sport. Too bad if you can't stand it.

Fingon
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:07 AM
And it will forever be known that Justine is a bad sport. Too bad if you can't stand it.

where did I say I can't stand it?

it will forever be remember as an excuse by obsessed Williams workshippers, for me it will be remember as a great win, I am not the one bitter over it, the soar losers are :lol:

Fingon
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:08 AM
btw, this must be a record,

the obsessed Williams workshippers have managed to ruin nearly every thread on this board :rolleyes:

PointBlank
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:12 AM
it was one fuc*in point ...... omg if serena would have won the point she would have won the f.o. right......not

PointBlank
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:13 AM
i have nothing NOTHING against serena or venus , heck i really doint like justine but get over it

PointBlank
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:20 AM
well......?

RYNJ
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Venus vs VEra for a set and a half VEnus was playing lights out! Lindsay vs Capriati at Pacific Life!

bis2806
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Bradshaw, I agree with you :)

azza
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:15 AM
azza, Serena was down 1:5... not 2:5.

but..yes. Serena's win over Kim- AO semi. Just showed you that Serena is a true champion/fighter.

sorry 1 game off :rolleyes:

SpikeyAidanm
Jul 27th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Myskina beats Rubin AUS Open R4, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 from 6-4, 4-3 (a break) down :hearts:

Trish101
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Jens win @ Wimbledon! and the French!...and shes #1 again YAY!

i wish!

Jeff
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:22 AM
definetly Serena's win over Kim at the Australian Open. All that pressure on her to maintain the grand slam winning streak, and she was still able to come back from 1-5 down :eek:

Then I would say Dementieva's win at Amelia Island. Not the best match of the year, but I was happy to see Dementieva win a title finally.

fleemkeģ
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Serena's win over Kim AO
Justine's win over Davenport AO :worship:
Justine's win over Serena RG :D

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:26 PM
btw, this must be a record,

the obsessed Williams workshippers have managed to ruin nearly every thread on this board :rolleyes:
as do you :rolleyes:. The moment you show up the thread is ruined :p

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:29 PM
as for the thread title...I'm going with Serena at the AO in the semis :)

hingis-seles
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:30 PM
not too many.

For me it's a toss-up between Serena-Kim(AO) and Venus-Kim(Wimbledon).

fried_beans
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:35 PM
My pick is Lindsay Davenport's win over Patty Schnyder in Charleston. On her worst surface, having not played a clay tournament in a few years, she thrashed Schnyder 6-1 6-1. Patty even said after the match that was the best anyone has ever played against her. Her winner/error ratio was 3:1! There were only a handful of points that match Patty was in control of. Truly amazing tennis on Lindsay's part and will probably be the last great match of her career...

As soon as I saw this topic I thought about this match and yea that was probably one of the best matches Lindsay has ever played. Another match that comes to mind would be Serena's beating of Lindsay Davenport in the Charleston semis just playing completely out of her mind.

sartrista7
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Over a tournament, what Elena Dementieva did at Amelia Island was very special, especially considering her history of underachievement.

Over one match, Venus Williams was pretty breathtaking against Zvonareva at Wimbledon.

(I'm not sure why people pick Serena against Kim or Venus against Kim at Wimbledon... they were among the year's two most courageous, determined performances, but they surely were not either Venus or Serena's best displays in terms of quality.)

Ryan
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Ditto sartrista's last paragraph.

Serena bitch-thumping Mauresmo at RG. That was just plain dominant, and on Serena's worst surface too. Amelie couldn't do anything to sotp her.

Hagar
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:51 PM
I thought Kim played a hell of a match against Jennifer in Berlin.

Mr. Man
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:27 PM

it will forever be remember as an excuse by obsessed Williams workshippers, for me it will be remember as a great win, I am not the one bitter over it, the soar losers are :lol:
What the hell is a "workshipper"?

ahh yes, Serena lost! She didn't deserve to lose! She was cheated! shit.

oh and if you can't read between the lines, I'am over Serena's loss. Congratulations Justine..blah blah blah!

Experimentee
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Serena over Kim at the AO was one of the most amazing comebacks i've seen.
Also Venus over Kim at Wimbledon, it was so courageous of her to keep on playing and pull out the win.
Those werent the best in terms of quality i know, but they were amazing and dramatic wins that i'll be remembering from this year.

Nemesis
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Justine def. Lindsay at AO (7-5 5-7 9-7: 3h+ :eek: )
Serena def. Kim at AO
Justine def. Monica at Dubai
Justine def. Kim at Berlin
Justine def. Serena at RG
Venus def. Kim at Wimby

So the Williams sisters and Justine have really outdone themselves his year. The RG was a fantastic match: it had drama, decadence, fantastic winners and choking from both sides, doing the unthinkable ... Cheating or not on one silly point ... It was THE big match of the year.

Miss Thang
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:58 PM
as for the thread title...I'm going with Serena at the AO in the semis :)

Preach! So much at stake and Miss Rena was NOT to be denied. :cool:

DEETHELICK
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Serena vs Amelie FO QFs 03

Elena D vs Lindsay AI 03

Lindsay vs Jen Pacific Life 03

Mattographer
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Farina-Elia def. Rubin @ Wimbledon was best match ever I seen from the Italian! :D

shap_half
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Nadia Petrova d. Jennifer Capriati in the 4th Round

I loved it! loved it! loved! It was such a high quality match and it shows the talent and promise of Ms. Nadia Petrova and how much she can kick ass.

Jericho
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Venus def. Kim, Wimby semis...pure heart and fighting spirit from venus

sartrista7
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Again... it is surprising to see how many people rate things like 'courage' and 'fighting skills' over sheer, perfected quality. The thread is supposed to be about matches in which a player reached a peak level, not the most dramatic matches. Serena vs Kim at the AO was a great match, yeah... but if that's Serena's 'single best performance' she's in deep shit. I'd say her level was just a bit higher when she double bagelled Schett at RG, myself.

onebridgecafe
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Let's not forget Sugiyama at Scottsdale.

Four wins in a single day and first win in a few years.

shap_half
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Again... it is surprising to see how many people rate things like 'courage' and 'fighting skills' over sheer, perfected quality. The thread is supposed to be about matches in which a player reached a peak level, not the most dramatic matches. Serena vs Kim at the AO was a great match, yeah... but if that's Serena's 'single best performance' she's in deep shit. I'd say her level was just a bit higher when she double bagelled Schett at RG, myself.

If we are going to choose Serena's highest quality match I would choose her quarter final match against Mauresmo at Roland Garros. She had the concentration and focus to just keep blasting away winners and kept the unforce errors down.

Amanda
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Venus defeated Zvonareva Wimbledon 2003(Championship form Venus)
Venus defeated Kim Wimbledon 2003

spartanfan
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:02 PM
1. Serena v. Kim semis@AO. Talk about fighting spirit and never say die spirit.

2. Serena v. Amelie qtrs.@FO. Serena was playing like a woman possessed. I've never seen Serena or any player in the past 5 years play that focused.

3. Serena v. Barbara Schett 4r@FO. I think that was the first time Serena has ever double bageled an opponent at the pro level. Talk about focus. I really think that Serena will take away the lessons learned at this years FO and totally dominate next year and recapture her crown in Paris.

4. Serena v. Justine @semis at Wimbledon. Serena cleared up any questions about who is the better player, and that the FO was a robbery. I fully expect their next few matches to be fully dominated by Serena. Serena hates to lose, especially to a cheater.

5. Davenport v. Henin qtrs@AO. From that match I began to see the writing on the wall about LD. Even after rolling on the hot AO courts in pain from cramps, Henin managed to get up and pull off the win over LD. LD will be retired within 18 months. Hear me now and believe me later, the writtings on the wall.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:10 PM
#1. Hingis reading the writing on the wall and getting out while she's young and can enjoy her horses

Darran
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Well if we are speaking about overall performance in playing above yourself over a course of a few matches, Amanda Janes rise through qualies at eastbourne was fairly impressive where she beat 3 players inside the top 100 back to back. For someone ranked outside the top 500 it was a performance and a half.

Mrs. Peel
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Serena vs Amelie FO QFs 03

Lindsay vs Jen Pacific Life 03

I have to agree on these two...Serena was just ruthless that day. A gaudy display of fitness and tennis prowess...

The way Lindsay was playing...OMG...my mouth was wide open watching those booming serves and groundies. Venus is so right when she said that Lindsay is the cleanest striker of the ball...I was in awe...Jen fought but couldn't withstand the onslaught.

I had more respect for Lindsay than ever after that. :worship: :worship:

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Serena hasnīt really have any good matches this year yet. If you compare her level to last year, itīs way down. Last year you could name of her slam matches as good perfomances, perhaps of all-time. This year sheīs been struggling more...but still winning. Thatīs what champions do!

SJW
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:33 PM
if its performance and not quality.....

Dementieva def Henin: the slow serves tied her up in knots
Dementieva def Linzi: she was down and out. and came back. what a way to win ur first title baby :kiss:
Venus def Kim 6-2 6-4: in her own backyard Venus showed that while Kim is having a much better year, Venus has the upper hand in the tete-a-tete
Serena def Kim @ Nasdaq: yes she can beat Kim in straights
Kim def Justine in Sydney: ok right here i knew Kim would have a great year
Serena def Amelie in Paris (x2): indoors was one of her best matches this year in terms of how well she played. outdoors, well what happened in Rome again?? :tape:
Serena def Justine in London: vengeance is sweet...and this one was comprehensive. again the belgian fails to trouble her on anything but clay
Petrova at RG: this Russian has now arrived with the game i knew she possessed

azza
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Alica Molik Vs Mary Pirece 2000 or 2001 Wimbeldon Alicia Losing 9-7 final set i think

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Uhum those two matches against Amelie were Serenaīs best perfomances this year. Her match against Kim at the Nasdaq was also great....whoīs no.1?!

ex hopman
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Scottsdale SF and Final of Ai...and doubles (SF and Final) at the same day...and she won all.

Nemesis
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:53 PM
If only constant quality of play:

Henin-Hardenne def. Serena @ Charleston (very clean match from Justine)
Henin-Hardenne def. Randriantefy @ RG
Henin-Hardenne def. Pierce @ Wimbledon

Serena def. Henin-Hardenne @ Wimbledon (just too good :sad: )
Serena def. Mauresmo @ RG (like a mad hatter)

Venus def. Clijsters @ Antwerp (diamond are a girl's best friend/motivation)
Venus def. Petrova @ Wimbledon

Clijsters def. Henin-Hardenne @ Sydney
Clijsters def. Suarez @ RG

Capriati def. Casanova @ Wimbledon

kodeRED
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:25 AM
dementieva at amelia island was so very special!

fried_beans
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:33 AM
if its performance and not quality.....
this Russian has now arrived with the game i knew she possessed

:rolleyes: yea cause u were so familiar with her before the French Open

Mr. Man
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Let's not forget Sugiyama at Scottsdale.

Four wins in a single day and first win in a few years.
ah you're right. We can't forget Ai "The Superwoman". Incredible play from her that day, Well done Ai. :D

spartanfan
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Serena hasnīt really have any good matches this year yet. If you compare her level to last year, itīs way down. Last year you could name of her slam matches as good perfomances, perhaps of all-time. This year sheīs been struggling more...but still winning. Thatīs what champions do!

:confused: WTF!!! Obviously you have not been watching Serena play this year or else you would not be making that blanket statement. Did you not see Serena play Mauresmo in Paris (both indoors and at the French) or Serena play B. Schett at the FO or how she played Henin at Wimbledon? Well apparently you did not b/c if you had you would not have made your comments.

jenglisbe
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Serena's "comeback" gets too much credit as Kim pretty much rolled over when she was up 5-1 (hell, she gave Serena a game at one point with 2-3 double faults).

What is this topic about, anyway? Is it about who has played the best match of the year in terms of being unbeatable? If so, my vote goes to either Serena in the French QF or Lindsay in that Charleston match.

SJW
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:55 PM
:rolleyes: yea cause u were so familiar with her before the French Open

actually we got Rome coverage :p

Petersmiler
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:18 PM
For me, the performance of the year so far came from Harkleroad against Hantuchova at the FO. After blowing a substantial lead, she sat down at the change of ends and cried! I thought it was all over for her, but she came back and won it! Superb!

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Your Wrong, I am not a williams worshipper but rather a once called hater of them.
I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT UNSPORTMANSHIP ATTITUDE OF JUSTINE.
Justine does'nt dceserved to be a champion.

SJW
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:11 PM
especially after zurich :tape:

im sorry but i just have this thing about calling people fakers after they recover from career threatening injuries...call me picky :tape:

Dava
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Venus def.Kim

tennisIlove09
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:47 PM
One Sided Matches:

Serena def. Mauresmo 6-2 6-1 in Paris
Venus def. Zvonareva 6-1 6-3 in London
Lindsay def. Schnyder 6-1 6-1 in Charleston

Two Sided Matches:
Davenport def. Capriati 6-4 4-6 6-4 in Indian Wells
Venus def. Davenport 6-2 2-6 6-1 in London
Clijsters def. Capriati 6-4 6-7 6-4 in Rome (or Berlin)
Henin def. Clijsters 6-4 4-6 7-5 in Berlin

Once again, I fail to understand how the Serena/Clijsters AO match can be brought up. It was an UGLY match...so many errors.