PDA

View Full Version : Players who missed their chance

Joana
Jul 27th, 2003, 12:55 AM
There are some players who really had the opportunity to win their only Slam, where everything seemed to work right for them, where the draw was open for them, and yet they missed it.

Amanda Coetzer, RG '97
Great year for her, beat Steffi 3 times, inluding in the QF of the tournament. She played a very close match against Majoli in the SF, had she beaten her she would have played against injured Hingis in the final, with a big chance of winning.

Chanda Rubin AO '96
Played absolutely great there, beat Sabatini if I remember well, then Arantxa in that epic match, came within 2 points of beating Monica. Huber would surely have been beatable in the final.

Natasha Zvereva, Wimbledon '98
It was her tournament, she beat Steffi and Monica. What the hell happened against Tauzait in the SF??? The final against Jana would have been great, I think she would have had a chance, given Jana's choking.

It's sad that these players never got a second chance to repeat the success. Did they know it was their only opportunity to shine?
Any other examples?

azza
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Maybe Kim Vs serena In semsi AO Kim up 5-2 final set she maybe could of beat Venus?

Joana
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Yeah, but Kim still has chances to win a GS, those girls don't.

kyk710
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Hopefully Chanda will have at least one more chance!!!

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Kim wouldn't have beaten Venus, and will never win a GS as long as V And S are around.

azza
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:14 AM
VS#1F thats a harsh statment u dont know that for sure

Berlin_Calling
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Wasn't Mary Joe Fernandez really close at RG one year? Forget which year and I think it was against Graf.

antonella
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Wasn't Mary Joe Fernandez really close at RG one year?

That was 1993, she also had two Aus Open finals. I think..

alexusjonesfan
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:43 AM
I've got an example from the men's game. You could use any of Henman's semifinals at wimbledon but the one in particular that I think was his best chance was back in 2001. He was so close to winning that match. The matchup with Rafter would've been a tossup but I'm sure he'd have prefered that to his perennial conqueror Sampras. Now it doesn't seem so certain that he'll reach the semis again.

Another one in my opinion was Sjeng Schalken at last year's wimbledon. If he'd have beated Hewitt in that long 5 setter, I'd have given him good odds to beat Henman in the semis and Nalbandian in the final. I don't know if he'll get such a good opportunity again and his hard and flat game seemed to be finally coming together at the right time with Sampras and Agassi out of the picture and his next opponents being a serve and volleyer without a big serve and a baseline hugger.

Peter M
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:46 AM
I don't think Coetzer would have stood a chance against Hingis. Majoli played an awesome match and played the style that became known as the only way to beat Hingis- unabashed attack. Mandy can't play that way. Hingis would have straight setted her.

I agree with Zvereva although Monica should be named also. Had she defeated Zvereva, she would have likely taken the title, IMO. That was the only time Monica lost to Zvereva and she never lost to Tauziat. Novotna was always tough for Monica and grass would have helped Jana even more, but with it being a final, I would have to think that Monica would have been too much for a choking Jana. Tauziat nearly was.

Had Rubin defeated Monica, she would have won the '96 Oz.

ttaM
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:01 AM
MJF also had an opportunity at OZ in '91 with having a match point against Monica, and Novotna in the final...MJF could've won that tourney too.

I agree with Monica and Wimbledon '98. Monica's best chance of winning Wimbledon. But Nat won the first set 6-1 and got to a second set tie-break against Tauziat. So....

What about Lucic against Graf in Wimbledon '99. Wasn't she up a set and a break in that SF?

What about Monica and OZ '02? Had she won that SF, she probably would've taken the final with the way Jen was playing?

Trish101
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Monica would not have won against Jen @ the AO 02 finals...the heat would have killed her, besides Hingis was better than Monica and STILL lost to Jen.

I dont care, Monica is good, but in 110 degree weather she isnt THAT good...she has to many fat cells to weigh her down!

Aerien
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Kimiko Date in Wimbledon '96.
That semi-final against Steffi.

Robbie.
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:06 AM
I don't think Coetzer would have stood a chance against Hingis. Majoli played an awesome match and played the style that became known as the only way to beat Hingis- unabashed attack. Mandy can't play that way. Hingis would have straight setted her.

I don't think it would have been staright sets. Martina was hampered by fatigue and injury in the final, and Amanda did win the next match that her and Martina played - in the semifinals of Leipzig 1997, on a surface that suited Martina much more than it suited Amanda. Mandy was not making errors at RG 1997 and against a flat and error prone Hingis she would have had some chance IMO.

Hingiswinsthis
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Yep.......it was a pity to see the injured Martina play that 97 FO final.

but I would have to say that the player that had been victimized to not winning a major the most was MARY JOE FERNANDEZ. It's too bad......she had good chances to win the Australian and French in the early 90's. but Monica Seles and Steffi Graf stood in the way for her....

alexusjonesfan
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:40 AM
What about Lucic against Graf in Wimbledon '99. Wasn't she up a set and a break in that SF?

lol, I don't think at that point anybody thought that it was her last chance to make a gs final, but how things change :lol:

tennnisfannn
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:40 AM
I believe serena should be included in this for the AO 2002. Since the canadian open 2001 she only lost to venus and was in blistering form. If she hadn't been injured at the AO she might have actually won the GS which is alot harder to accomplish than a single GS. I don't see her doing it now coz venus, kim and Justine are now troubling her alot more.

Task
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Zvereva springs to mind for me too. She was up 6-1 6-5 in the semifinal against Tauziat.

If only she could replay that 12th game...

spencercarlos
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:53 AM
There are some players who really had the opportunity to win their only Slam, where everything seemed to work right for them, where the draw was open for them, and yet they missed it.

Amanda Coetzer, RG '97
Great year for her, beat Steffi 3 times, inluding in the QF of the tournament. She played a very close match against Majoli in the SF, had she beaten her she would have played against injured Hingis in the final, with a big chance of winning.

Chanda Rubin AO '96
Played absolutely great there, beat Sabatini if I remember well, then Arantxa in that epic match, came within 2 points of beating Monica. Huber would surely have been beatable in the final.

Natasha Zvereva, Wimbledon '98
It was her tournament, she beat Steffi and Monica. What the hell happened against Tauzait in the SF??? The final against Jana would have been great, I think she would have had a chance, given Jana's choking.

It's sad that these players never got a second chance to repeat the success. Did they know it was their only opportunity to shine?
Any other examples?

I don´t think Amanda was that close, yes she beat an ailing Graf (throat infection) at the Australian Open, and a Graf who made 50 unforced errors while losing 6-1 6-4 in Roland Garros. Then she faced Majoli, who was also sick with a flu of her own, and she could not beat her. Hingis was not injured in that event. She played marvelous tennis against Arantxa in the quartefinals and hang in there to beat Seles 6-4 in the third. I doubt Amanda would have won against Hingis, who usually trashed her.

Chanda, for sure she missed that one, she was so close, and played impecable tennis to get 5-2 in the third against Monica.

Natasha also missed her great chance, she was controlling her semifinal against Tauziat and let it slip away, and she had beaten Novotna many times before, i think she should have won. Jana could have won easily in 93 :rolleyes:

I think Another player we could name is Mary Joe Fernandez, she had that Rg in her hands was controlling 2-0 and BP for 3-0 against Graf and let it slip by.

gopher
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:57 AM
I can think of at least 4 KIM examples...

bello
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Monica- French Open 98

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:40 AM
MJF also had an opportunity at OZ in '91 with having a match point against Monica, and Novotna in the final...MJF could've won that tourney too.

I agree with Monica and Wimbledon '98. Monica's best chance of winning Wimbledon. But Nat won the first set 6-1 and got to a second set tie-break against Tauziat. So....

What about Monica and OZ '02? Had she won that SF, she probably would've taken the final with the way Jen was playing?

I don't think mirjana was a break up but in that match mirjana didn't start to play worse after the first set but better, sadly for her though steffi did too

wimbledon 96 is a big myth, people act like kimiko was up 5:0 in that third set. it was one all in sets, not more and not less and second sets say nothing about the end of a match especially not when somebody loses it who has 19 slams and didn't lose in one since 1994
oh anyway if kimiko was really so much better then she should have won the next day and no slow starters crap is nonsense afterall steffi was sick(watch steffi the movie if you don't believe me) so I can play that game too :p

hingis-seles
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:01 AM
I agree that AO'02 was Monica's best chance. If only she had gotten past Hingis. Jennifer is Monica's bitch, so that wouldn't have even been an issue.

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:14 AM
didn't monica win 4 australian open titles. so how did she miss her chance?

tennisjam
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Zvereva against Graf at French final '88

( this one is for you, irma... ;) :kiss: )

SJW
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Kim Clijsters: RG 03. all the way to the final she had a great time, hardly any tests and then was elsewhere at her first major test

hingis-seles
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:52 AM
didn't monica win 4 australian open titles. so how did she miss her chance?

She missed her chance for a 5th Aussie title. I'm greedy. :p

bandabou
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Tennisfann is right about Serena and the ´02 oz open. I believe that ´02 was her best year form-wise and also for consistency. If there was any player who could have pulled out the GRAND SLAM it was the ´02 Serena. Too bad for that twisted ankle. :mad:

And Kim at the ´03 French. I´ve never seen a would-be no.1 player in the world play such a HOLLOW final! Incredible!! No fight whatsoever!!

Joseosu19
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Well for those who say 96' Wimbledon was Kimiko's chance, they could also say it could have been Arantxa's chance at Wimbledon. She played awesome in the final against Graf, but lost, had Kimiko been in the final, it might have been different for Arantxa.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Monica missed her 02 AusOpen chance because Hingis ran her all over the court like she always did- exposing her lack of mobility and lack of variety...

She very well may have beaten Jen in the final- but then again- two players who are capable of doing nothing more than bashing the ball as hard as they can- a toss-up really!

brunof
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Pfff...Poor Natasha. :(

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:53 PM
"I don´t think Amanda was that close, yes she beat an ailing Graf (throat infection) at the Australian Open, and a Graf who made 50 unforced errors while losing 6-1 6-4 in Roland Garros. Then she faced Majoli, who was also sick with a flu of her own, and she could not beat her. Hingis was not injured in that event. She played marvelous tennis against Arantxa in the quartefinals and hang in there to beat Seles 6-4 in the third. I doubt Amanda would have won against Hingis, who usually trashed her"

Not to mention Majoli had a misplaced rib or something that she had to have massaged back in place. Martina was hardly injured. She talked trash after beating ASV, and beat Seles in the semi. Majoli layed the major smack down on her in that final from the first game on.

"Monica missed her 02 AusOpen chance because Hingis ran her all over the court like she always did- exposing her lack of mobility and lack of variety..."

Which is what she did just about everytime they met. No grand gameplan or all night strategy sessions, just a simple...."well I guess I'll have to run her"

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:13 PM
It's how Graf beat Seles- low knifed slice wide to Seles' forehand and keep her running back and forth wider and wider until she can't get her racquet on the ball. And then there's the Graf serve- one of the all time best!

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:17 PM
It wasn't rocket science.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:17 PM
VennusSerena#1fan

ur nickname bothers me, its waaaay too similar to mine, and i had mine first ;) but no offense, were both Williams fans so its all good.....

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:35 PM
I wonder if either of the Williams sisters could beat Steffi Graf when she was at her best on Grass (circa 1995-96)?

alexusjonesfan
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:38 PM
I wonder if either of the Williams sisters could beat Steffi Graf when she was at her best on Grass (circa 1995-96)?

Please don't start this again :tape:

I'm beggin here :awww:

jenglisbe
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Mary Joe had 2 great chances at a major:
1991 Australian Open - had a match point in the SF against Seles, and she had an open court but netted the ball. She would have had a great chance of beating Novotna in the final.
1993 French Open - was playing the best tennis of her life in coming back against Sabatini, destroying Arantxa, and being up a set on Graf...but lost a close 3rd set.

alfajeffster
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Please don't start this again :tape:

I'm beggin here :awww:

okay, as long as you're begging. How about this: I wonder if either of the Williams sisters could beat Billie Jean King at her best on grass (with the same racquets)

fried_beans
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:35 PM
But I guess the fact that Monica is so slow is just credit to the rest of her game.

Leo_DFP
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:34 AM
I believe serena should be included in this for the AO 2002. Since the canadian open 2001 she only lost to venus and was in blistering form. If she hadn't been injured at the AO she might have actually won the GS which is alot harder to accomplish than a single GS. I don't see her doing it now coz venus, kim and Justine are now troubling her alot more.

No, Lindsay AO '02. She hadn't lost a match after the US Open '01 and was full of confidence... and then came the knee surgery. Her challengers would have been Capriati, who she owns and didn't actually play that well Down Under last year, Hingis, Seles, a young and self-doubting Clijsters, and an injured venus. That's Lindsay's title.

Gandalf
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Amonr players who did win other Grand Slams, the one who missed more chances IMO was Seles after the stabbing. She had a really good shot at RG'97 and '98, and specially at WB'98. Also, if she had gotten past Hingis at AO'02 I think she would have beaten Capriati.

Among players who never won any Slam and have retired already, MJF, for the reasons stated above. I also think that if Tauziat would have won the second set tiebreak at WB'98, Novotna would have collapsed in the third. But it was sweet to see her (finnaly) winnning a Slam...

Kart
Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:35 PM
Mary Joe Fernandez had some good chances in Australia.

Amanda Coetzer would not have beaten Hingis in 1997.

Monica's best chance of winning Wimbledon was in 1992. Any other chances have never been as good - looking at her match against Zvereva, she struggled so much, I suspect Novotna would have had a highly likely chance of beating her anyway (and believe me it's hard for me to admit that :mad: ) if you look at the way she dissected Martina Hingis in the semis.

I agree with irma :hearts: about Kimiko Date in Wimbledon - one good set does not mean you can win a match (I'm not so sure about the Steffi being sick part though :p ).

Monica would have been the favourite in the Oz 2002 final, had she made it.

Experimentee
Aug 3rd, 2003, 02:12 PM
I think last year when Serena sprained her ankle causing her to miss the AO she really missed a huge chance to win the calendar Grand Slam. She was in an easy section of the draw before she pulled out (ADRIANA Serra Zanetti got to the QF from that section), and i think she would have beaten Hingis and Capriati since she was starting to get the better of them, having thrashed Hingis the last time they played. That was really a missed opportunity to further cement her place in the history books.

Also at the AO 1996 Chanda was playing so great in all her rounds, then she played Monica and had a lead in the match, cant really remember what it was but she was close to winning that. Monica then went on to win the title of course, so if Chanda had beaten Monica i think she would have won, as she was playing better than anyone else Monica had to face after that.

tommystar
Aug 3rd, 2003, 02:16 PM
Also at the AO 1996 Chanda was playing so great in all her rounds, then she played Monica and had a lead in the match, cant really remember what it was but she was close to winning that. Monica then went on to win the title of course, so if Chanda had beaten Monica i think she would have won, as she was playing better than anyone else Monica had to face after that.

Rubin led 5-2 in the final set, at 5-3 she served for the match it was 30-all and later Deuce.

gmak
Aug 3rd, 2003, 02:21 PM
poor chanda she just came from that epic match against ASV 16-14 in the 3rd !!!!!!!!!! which lasted 3'33 hours!

if she had beaten monica she surely would get past anke huber in the final.

later in 1996 she played great to reach the final in miami and a career high No6 but then injuries forced her out of all the other slams and the olympics :sad: