PDA

View Full Version : What's the record for most matches won in a year?

E. Blackadder
Jul 26th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Navratilova's 90 matches won in 1982?

Rollo
Jul 26th, 2003, 02:34 PM
It's well over 100. Maybe someone else can get an exact number for you, but Billie Jean King won at least 112 matches in 1971.

MartinaI
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Court 1970: 109-6 w/l record
Court 1973: 102-5
Evert 1974: 100-7

Kirt12255
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:17 PM
:wavey: Is this singles and doubles?

Before I saw the above I would have thought ASV the Year she hit #1....wowzers did that lady know how to play alot of matches. :wavey:

fammmmedspin
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:08 PM
makes even Kims schedule seem kinda light doesn't it and some of the top ten look part-time Monday to Wednesday by comparison. Jelena could beat those totals if she got past the quarters (but even she would collapse if she actually had to play twice as many matches)

Kirt12255
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:16 PM
makes even Kims schedule seem kinda light doesn't it and some of the top ten look part-time Monday to Wednesday by comparison. Jelena could beat those totals if she got past the quarters (but even she would collapse if she actually had to play twice as many matches)

LOL...agree

I wonder what the early rounds were like for Court and Evert?? I think in todays game early matches are much tougher. Just a thought :wavey:

Rollo
Jul 26th, 2003, 05:11 PM
The relative depth was no greater in Court and Evert's day I'd say. The reason they could get away with playing so much then had a lot to do with (1) surfaces and (2) travel.

Until the US Open went to cement in 1978 hard courts were rare on tour.
Clay and grass or even carpet are a lot easier on the body.

The other thing was circuits then had tournaments that were close to each other. It's a lot easier to hope in a car or even take a short plane ride than to play Tokyo one week and Paris the next.

One other thing could be the difference between wood and metal racquets. Metal lets you hit the ball harder, which might wreak bodies quicker.

It's a pity the tour can't go back to wood. That won't happen of course, but if the WTA was smart they would schedule more non hard court events.

Jakeev
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Rollo is right BJK had won 112 matches in 1971 making her the queen of that stat in tennis history.

Players like Moody, Lenglan and Marble ( all by the way who had undefeated seasons) did not match that kind of record because they did not have as many tournaments or matches in their times

MartinaI
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:28 PM
My stats were singles only

alexusjonesfan
Jul 26th, 2003, 10:16 PM
The relative depth was no greater in Court and Evert's day I'd say. The reason they could get away with playing so much then had a lot to do with (1) surfaces and (2) travel.

I've heard Evert say herself how in her day, as a top player you would be guaranteed easy wins like 6-0 6-2 until the semis of most tournaments, even slams. Though I do agree that playing most of the year on hardcourts is much harder on the body than any of the natural surfaces.

Brian Stewart
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:32 AM
According to Bud Collins, BJ played 31 singles tourneys in 1971, went 112-13, and won 17 titles. (I have seen the total given as 19 elsewhere). And she won 21 of 26 doubles events, going 80-5. That's a record 192 combined wins in 210 combined matches. Just imagine, had she played doubles at some of the other 5 tourneys, she may have won 200 matches in one year!

No wonder she had so many knee surgeries. It's safe to say, those (records, not knees) will not be broken.

ys
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Depends on what we are talking about. If we are talking Tour matches, then I guess, pre-1975 (pre-WTA) stats should not count, because back then everything was put in one big pile. OK, who won most WTA Tour singles matches in a season?

Rollo
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Caelestia-I'm sure Evert said that. Evert also said something stupid like, "In Court's day 4 nations played this [the French] event."

First, lets take her statement about 6-0 6-2 matches. Watch any early rounds of slams lately? Serena and Clijsters aren't exactly winning those matches in third set tiebreaks honey. And Graf and Seles never won 6-0 sets-even vs other top tenners? Pul-lease :rolleyes:

If you want to argue that you need hard proof, numbers. Compare slams from two years.

Besides, Evert is talking in WTAspeak. WTAspeak boils down to this:

The tour is fine. Women's tennis has more depth now than ever. It's better than ever. Forget that Serena won 3 of 4 slams in 2002 and hasn't lost to #2 Venus since Columbus landed in 1492, it could happen any time.

Monica Seles once talked about how close a 6-0 6-1 match was. Something like, "the games were closer than they looked and could have gone either way. It was a competitive match. " That was said with a straight face.

It was just WTAspeak.