PDA

View Full Version : Dokic by the end of the year?

E. Blackadder
Jul 26th, 2003, 01:04 PM
I don't see her make champs any more, what you think her entry rank will be? :sad: :o

great smash
Jul 26th, 2003, 01:08 PM
If she keeps going the way she has been this year, should be around 25 (as indicated by the race standings)

SpikeyAidanm
Jul 26th, 2003, 01:30 PM
She'll be ranked 24 IMO

WtaTour4Ever
Jul 26th, 2003, 01:32 PM
I see her around # 15 or #16

Elleke
Jul 26th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Top 20

-Sonic-
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:42 PM
I sure hope she's not top 20

Only reason she got half the wins she did this season was due to her high seed position and her byes, meaning higher points by winning fewer matches. Yes she did well last year and so deserved the seeding, but it still ticks me off cos it means she'll be more likely to keep some sort of seeding in the future.

Experimentee
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:22 PM
I sure hope she's not top 20

Only reason she got half the wins she did this season was due to her high seed position and her byes, meaning higher points by winning fewer matches. Yes she did well last year and so deserved the seeding, but it still ticks me off cos it means she'll be more likely to keep some sort of seeding in the future.

Its a good argument for abolishing byes. Seeded players only have to win one match to get to the QF, while unseeded players have to win two. Doesnt seem very fair to me. If you look at someone like Dokic she gets into the QF by only beating players like Stevenson, and any half decent player would beat her this year.

great smash
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Its a good argument for abolishing byes. Seeded players only have to win one match to get to the QF, while unseeded players have to win two. Doesnt seem very fair to me. If you look at someone like Dokic she gets into the QF by only beating players like Stevenson, and any half decent player would beat her this year.

Well it's a benifit Dokic did earn last year and still was able to take advantage of this year, but not for long anymore! It doesn't last if your level is not there.

It is a good thing the top seeds, who you might expect to be in the final of a tournament the previous week, don't have to play until later in the week if they wish.

SM
Jul 26th, 2003, 05:33 PM
just what i was about to say great smash..the reason jelena gets byes is shes earned them and if her current downward spiral continues she will gradually lose that privlige...but i think jelena is on the way back, her last two tournaments werent bad she just got outplayed by two red hot Marias!

SM
Jul 26th, 2003, 05:34 PM
i think shell finish top 20

sartrista7
Jul 26th, 2003, 06:07 PM

It's not fair, but byes won't be abolished any time soon. It's hard enough getting certain top players to turn up for the minimal amount of matches they have to play at each tournament NOW; adding another one on to their oh-so-strenuous workload isn't going to be exactly popular.

Theoretically, of course, byes mean that top players get tougher competition from the get-go, but when draws work out so that Stevenson actually wins a match... nah.

Anyone who thinks that Jelena is on the way back is really deluding themselves. If anything, she's *worse* than she was earlier in the year.

SM
Jul 26th, 2003, 06:38 PM
deluding myself? did u watch her wimbeldon matches? her game is still there, esp against maria she seemed to be hitting as well as ever...she just seemed to lack the intensity she used to have :(

sartrista7
Jul 26th, 2003, 06:51 PM
deluding myself? did u watch her wimbeldon matches? her game is still there, esp against maria she seemed to be hitting as well as ever...she just seemed to lack the intensity she used to have :(

Well, that's why she's in a slump. She's not focused, she's not intense, she's not making the big points, she's losing the matches. That's it in a nutshell. She's never lost her technical ability; her serve still sucks and she still has no variety, but the way she's hitting the ball has never been the problem. And currently she is even less focused and even less intense than she was a few months ago.

Rollo
Jul 26th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Sartrista summed it all up.

And Dokic is still "Dumb-chic" for not doing what she should have done what-1-2-3 years ago? Take a vacation from tournament play, recharge her batteries, and work on weaknesses.

AleOrtu
Jul 26th, 2003, 07:28 PM
top 20

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 26th, 2003, 07:30 PM
top 20

mboyle
Jul 26th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Top 20. She won't make the chase (cause we now onnly have 8 players there right?), but she will be top 20, maybe even top 16.

ghosts
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Unranked = :lol:

top 20 for sure

skanky~skanketta
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:22 PM
top 20. too many players suck to acutally be ranked higher.

i just hope ai and vera hit the top 10 mark this year.

i_like_tennis
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:57 PM
TOP 50...........

not that surprised she lost a lot of motivations,
i believe she is one of those overachievers
like Iva Majoli, if she has won one of the
most prestigious Tier I in Rome,
what else is there for her to win?....
obviously she cant beat TOP 4 or TOP 8
to win Slams/Super Tier I's,
and she sure aint gonna get into Tour Champ,
i dont know what she is expecting next,
probably getting married or something

well, but i say with 2 Tier I titles by age 20,
she "has done" better than Daniella.....
and no matter how far she falls,
she'll always be remembered as a
former TOP player, so good luck Jelena.....:)