PDA

View Full Version : Top doubles players without a partner : Who will team who REGULARLY 2002 ?

ChrisGermany
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:56 AM
We have Lindsay, Ana Medina, Chanda and Mary injured ; Monica, Jennifer and some others only playing doubles irregularly

and Janette Husarova, Mary Jose Martinez, Laura Montalvo left without a partner - same as Martina Navratilova

Now, its reported that Daniela teams with Martina N at Indian Wells, so what about Arantxa - and Kim teams with Daja this week - what about Kim Clijsters then ? Would Kim be available for Arantxa then f.e. ?

What about a Lindsay-Martina N combi for Wimbledon if Martina N plays with different partners in her 3-4 warm up events ?

jd4eva
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Kim has quit doubles for 2002 and maybe for the rest of her career because she's been suffering an arm injury.

Jelena Dokic/Conchita Martinez will continue to team up in 2002.

apoet29
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:06 AM
An excellent doubles player that is currently without a partner is Ai Sugiyama. She was no. 1 in doubles in 2000 when she teamed with Julie Halard-Decugis and they won 9 titles including the US Open and Kremlin Cup (defeating Team Adidas). She was Kim's partner and they made the final of Wimbledon last year. Unfortunately, Kim's consistent injuries have left Ai without a partner.

What about Aranxta and Ai teaming up? Is there anyone else out there without a partner that Ai could team up with.

martinafan
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:41 AM
I've always wondered who Nicole Pratt will play with REgularly, and I hoped she would team with Callens after seeing them play the aus open, but at tokyo she's playing with Po, who will play with Tauziat this year...

Any idea who nicole will play with?

Randy H
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Laura Montalvo likely will keep playing with Liezel Huber. Liezel always plays with others until around February (hence her current partnership with Arendt), but her and Laura start playing come February because Montalvo skips the Australian :)

saki
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Ai Sugiyama is definitely a great catch for anyone looking for a doubles partner. I don't think she and Arantxa would work though. Aranxta needs someone with a good serve and powerful groundstrokes to complement her volleys and court craft.

I think Daniela & Aranxta should continue to play together (it's not unlikely that she and Martina have decided to "share" Daniela for a while) and that Lindsay and Martina should play together when Linds gets back from injury.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ai & Jelena play together, but I expect that Jelena will play with Conchita again.

DaDave
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:26 AM
If Mary Pierce gets better and recovers, Ai Sugiyama and Mary Pierce again?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: They were teaming together before injury. This team could be pretty awesome!!! Of the partnerless player, Davenport, Rubin could be nice fit for Sugiyama.

There are a lot of teams this year but haven't been able to stick together. I wonder how it will turn out.

ChrisGermany
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Im well aware of that Ai-"problem"

But I believe its a self-made one ; Ai chooses to play with top-singles players and was a bit unlucky that all of them decided to take it for fun - apart from her try with Nicole Arendt

Looking at the recent results of Cara/Elena I believe there is something wrong with these 2 ; losing to no names in AO and now losing to Monica/Sandrine, maybe Elena wants to get together with Ai again !?

Phoenix
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:33 PM
elena and ai would be good
but since elena team up with
black ai&elena would be tempolary
for few event
ai should find smn permanently :cool:

Tweety
Jan 29th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Why not Tauziat playing with Fusai again? :bounce: