PDA

View Full Version : Sofia Arvidsson receives second wild card

Alek
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:11 PM
Sweden's at the moment highest ranked female tennis player, Sofia Arvidsson, will be given a wildcard to the biggest tennis event for women in the Nordic countries, Nordea Nordic Light Open, played in Espoo 2.8 - 10.8. This was after her victory over world nr. 11, Ai Sugiyama (7-5, 6-1) in the Fed Cup match against Japan last weekend.

Nordea Nordic Light Open is Sofia Arvidsson's second appearance on WTA Tour level:
- It is really exciting, especially after my win over Sugiyama, says Sofia Arvidsson in telephone on her way back from Japan. This will be my second WTA Tour competition and I consider it very valuable to get the opportunity to enter the WTA Tour. I will do my best to take that chance, finnishes Arvidsson, currently ranked 139. on the world ranking.
- Our ambition is for the competition to contribute to developing women's tennis in all the Nordic countries. It would be wonderful if Sofia would get her break-through in this year's tournament, says Mikael Larsson, Tournament Director Nordea Nordic Light Open, which is played in Sweden in August 2004.

:(
Good luck Sofia.

Alek
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:31 PM
If anyone cares, Svensson is unable to play this tournament still because of injury :(:(:(:sad:

Smart
Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:38 PM
oh no :(

*JR*
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Is Sofia's coach Christian Wilander related to Mats? :confused:

Scotso
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Good luck Sofia :)

King Aaron
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Thanks and good luck Sofia! :D