View Full Version : The Viktoriya Kutuzova Cheering Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 03:44 PM
14 yr old Vika Kutuzova (UKR) and a gem to watch as well
she's moving along pretty good.
another IMG client.

Go Vika go !!!!!!!!
The little maestro playing her 3rd event in Evansville, IN ($10k)
she won her 1st qual match 6-4 6-1 over Rebekah Rhodes

go and qualify Vika and get your 1st rank.

I'm hoping she's over her injury probs she had over in England.

All the best Vika !!!!!!!!

the cat
Jul 21st, 2003, 07:47 PM
But Eggy, can the Russian Tennis Federation convince Viktoria to become a Russian citizen?

Where does she train? If she an IMG client I would think they would try to get her to move to Florida as soon as possible to train under the best conditions.

Her results have been impressive. But if I recall correctly she has a very slight physique.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 08:45 PM
she's based in the US already, i'm sure its in Florida.

she's still slight but is upto 5'7

I don't think we'd get her, but she's still Russian to quite alot of us (though not officially)

At Wimbledon, a represenative (Bob Levy) of www.PennAthletics.com was pretty impressed and wanted her to join the NCAA (Ivy League) and play for the University of Pennsylvania :lol:, her coach told him she's only 14 and he was staggered.

Anyway she'd be wasting her time in that, pretty bad for someone of Vika's calibre.
Plus she's got good sponsors and alreay with IMG

Vika's coach did say he expected her to get a WC into LA
most likely qualies

KV
Jul 21st, 2003, 08:51 PM
She's moving up the rankings like Alisa and Sesil. Already 14th ranked in Juniors. Very good!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:11 PM
Vika qualified for maindraw :woohoo:
she plays top seed Tiffany Dabek in rd1 though

Vika will get her 1st WTA rank on Aug 4 :D :D and its inside Top 500

KV
Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:22 PM
She could upset the first seed. Already inside the top 500 in August. :)

Gowza
Jul 24th, 2003, 01:44 AM
i don't mean any offence to dabek but she seems to be stuck where she is, i think vika has a great chance in this match and i think her age will give her a mental advantage because her older opponent will get syked out and won't want to lose to a player so young and will probably try to hard.

c'mon vika!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 24th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Vika bt Dabek 4-6 7-5 6-1 :woohoo: :D :)

now go and win this tourn :)
go Vika go !!!!!!!

Warrior
Jul 24th, 2003, 03:13 PM
GO VIKA!!! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 25th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Vika into QF :D :)
6-3 6-4 win

go Vika go :)
plays Maki Arai today

goldenlox
Aug 5th, 2003, 11:46 PM
I hope I've got the right info from the tournament website.
It says Vika won, 6-4, 6-4.
Wow!

Erdinger
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Congrats to Victoriya :worship: , I'm really impressed! I'd love to read a review of this match!

Dava
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Any photos!

Good result hopefully she can kick the shit out of Bitchinson

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2003, 11:36 AM
i knew this would come back to haunt me, but i didnt expect it this soon

congrats Vika :)
still upset of course for personal reasons but that won't stop me congratulating her.

Pics
http://www.wtaworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13581

TartarVicario
Aug 6th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Awww She looks like Alicia :eek: :eek:

the cat
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Congrats to Viktorya on a fine win over Lina! :D What a wonderful WTA Tour debut for Viktorya! :bounce:

But I feel sad for Lina. :sad: It had to be devastating emotionally for 19 year old Lina to play a 14 year old girl who was born in Ukraine, the same country Lina was born in.

It looks like IMG has another tennis prodigy on their hands. :)

Dava, who are you talking about? :confused:

Dava
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Stevenson

KV
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Maybe Vika could create another upset. Good luck against Stevenson

the cat
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Dava, why did you call Alexandra Stevenson that?

I think Stevenson will be nervous about playing a 14 year old girl! :eek: But the size difference between Viktorya and Alexandra is incredible! Lina Krasnoroustskaya is small compared to Alex. I'm sure Viktorya has never played someone the size of Alex. Stevenson is the heavy favorite to win this match. But if Vika can move Alex around and win a majority of the long points she can pull of the upset.

Udachi Viktorya! :bounce:

Dava
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM
I dont like Alex, she seems immature, and she was unfriendly and amazingly childish when I saw her at BMH. I actually quite liked her before, but when she lost she has a right tantrum, not like the nicey-nicey Alex we see on the TV.

Myskina Lina
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:47 PM
If Vika can beat Lina, she can beat Alex. If she plays at the same level.

goldenlox
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:42 PM
I have a question.
Let's say that Vika really is playing top 30 level tennis. And she goes far in this tournament.
What future events might she be playing in?

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:48 PM
depends on her ranking
but from when she turns 15 ( Aug 19)she can play just 8 events until her 16th (but if she can get into slam qualies on her own rank, then those dont count in her 8)

but i'm sure she'll play some more ITF events with the IMG WC thrown in.

so you could see her next year in Indian Wells/Miami or other IMG events

goldenlox
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info!

To me, this tournament shows what's wrong with the WTA.
It's not on tv. I can't get the scores on the internet.
No one is going to the event. It's like it's not happening.
This stinks.

Edit: Finally got a partial score : Vika ahead of Alex - 6-3, 2-2.

the cat
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Go Vika! :bounce:

You're right, Goldie! The media coverage for WTA tournaments is just terrible! :mad: Los Angeles is the second largest city in America and it's like their is no coverage for the tournament in LA. :sad: The tournament website is pathetic. And the WTA Tour website gives limited information. It's such a dissapointment.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Vika won again 6-3 3-3 rtd :woohoo: :D
into top 300 :D

Stevenson did another of her famous retirements when down.

Vika ;) well done Vika :D :D

way to go "pip squeak" ;)

now for Ai :)

go get her kiddo

goldenlox
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:46 PM
I was questioning why a 14 year old is in such a tough tournament.
Now Vika is THE story of the whole event.

Davai Vika!!

the cat
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:04 PM
What does davai mean, Goldenlox?

Vika is the story of the tournament? OMG! Maria Sharapova is going to be furious because she's supposed to be the story! :fiery: ;) But Vika is stealing the show! Well done Viktorya! :worship:

Udachi Vika! :bounce:

P.S. - How long has Viktorya trained in America? She has a tan so she must be training in Florida. Probably at Bollettieri's. She seems to be fitting right in and is apparently comfortable playing in America. :)

KV
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:11 PM
What does davai mean, Goldenlox?

Vika is the story of the tournament? OMG! Maria Sharapova is going to be furious because she's supposed to be the story! :fiery: ;) But Vika is stealing the show! Well done Viktorya! :worship:

P.S. - How long has Viktorya trained in America? She has a tan so she must be training in Florida. Probably at Bollettieri's. She seems to be fitting right in and is apparently comfortable playing in America. :)
Right! Nice to see a 14 y.o. in the 3rd round, that makes people talk and makes tennis more attractive.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Vika trains at the Evert Academy for part of the year.

She's only recently gone over there.

just hope Vika doesn't pick up her dad's habit of smoking.

he had to leave the court a once or twice to sneak away for a smoke, at end of set and when Vika had a injury timeout.

the cat
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Vika had an injury timeout? :confused: What match was that?

So she trains at the Evert Academy. That's where Maria Kirilenko trains, too.

goldenlox
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Plenty of good athletes smoke. And not just tobacco. But that's off topic.
In the next round against Ai, we'll get a good idea of where Vika is. Ai seems very consistent.
But that won't be on tv in New York.
Sveta won't be on tv against Dokic. Elena D. and B. None of these matches are on tv.
It's crazy.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Vika had an injury timeout? :confused: What match was that?

So she trains at the Evert Academy. That's where Maria Kirilenko trains, too.

talking about Wimbledon where she had a rib injury which affected her serve
Vika also spent a night in Hospital during the previous week's tournement (LTA Roehampton) according to a source that was at that event, whom i saw at Wimbledon.

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Someone has to talk to Vika about how she talks to the media.
After she beat Lina, TSN.CA has this quote:
"I want to kill everybody before the match starts."
Even if you think that, she can't say it to the press.

Arhivarius
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:32 AM
Someone has to talk to Vika about how she talks to the media.
After she beat Lina, TSN.CA has this quote:
"I want to kill everybody before the match starts."
Even if you think that, she can't say it to the press.

She probably said or was thinking in Russian " Я всех прямо убить готова".
Although the general meaning of this phrase is "I'm ready (or I want) to kill everybody", it means very often that the person is in the high degree of agitation and nervousness. It is somewhat idiomatic.

Actually, I agree that she should choose her words accurately and she definitely needs some qualified help in that.

But what a fighting spirit! :D

Dava
Aug 7th, 2003, 11:45 AM
YAY she won!

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:40 PM
I agree about fighting spirit. The young ones seem fiercely competitive.
The veterans seem to be coasting along. Happy to hold their rankings.
I'm going to some on-line newspapers and find some fresh quotes.

Gowza
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:48 PM
now that she's beaten lina (as much as i hated it happening) and elena b is out i'm hoping we can get a really great performance from this young talent. sugiyama had a bit of trouble in her first round match so i think that if vika can start the match strong then she may cause an upset. she's in a nice section of the draw however if she does reach the quarters she will be playing a very consistent player (maleeva or ruano pascual) which will certainly test her patiences. but first things first. got to play sugiyama first. good luck vika!

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 7th, 2003, 05:07 PM
good luck little Vika :)
no pressure girl :)

just enjoy yourself :)

Dava
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Ai will probably win this one, unless Vika has something phenominal to bring to the court, which I can not begin to comprehend. I cant believe she is NR in the rankings. How far up will she go, or will she still be NR because this is like her first event ever!

the cat
Aug 7th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Goldie, most top athletes don't smoke anything unless it's the occasional victory cigar. And I seriously doubt Viktorya smokes.

As for Vika, I love her take no prisoners attitude! :devil: But I don't believe she really means it when she says she wants to kill her opponents. :eek: And english is not her native language. Biut there is somehting in her eyes that says she aggresive. I hope she displays a true on court killer instinct in her career.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 7th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Vika's nothing of the sort
i'm sure thats been lost in translation somewhere.

Vika lost today 2-6 3-6 :sad: :(
but a great week

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2003, 09:47 PM
A monster week. Now Vika knows how close she is.
And she still gets to look forward to her 15th birthday party.

*JR*
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Plenty of good athletes smoke. And not just tobacco. Do you Jenuinely mean that? :lol: BTW, this kid is part of a trio of Slavic 14 y.o.'s with huge talent (along with Tatiana Golovin and of course Michaella Krajicek). :)

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:33 PM
I'm not talking about Vika. Can you read?

Dava
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:42 PM
translated it probably means she wants to beat her opponents aggresivly.

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:48 PM
At Vika's age, she can't just say whatever she wants.
English isn't her first language. And the media is looking for controversy.
But her parents and IMG will help her on that.

Still, great tennis from a 14 year old prodigy!!

Dava
Aug 7th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Well Ai has won 6-3 6-2 I believe

the cat
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:33 AM
It's too bad Sugyama beat Viktorya. :( But Viktorya sure had a great WTA Tour debut! :bounce: Especially for a 14 year old. It's fairly rare to see a 14 year old winning WTA matches. But now Vika has to build on her fine WTA Tour debut and continue building positive momentum.

Erdinger
Aug 8th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Victoriya, what a great debut. Okay, you lost, but you won 5 games against the Nr. 12 of the world! As a 14 yr. old kid!!! :worship:

I'm sure she has a great future! :bounce:

*JR*
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:12 PM
I'm not talking about Vika. Can you read?
Hey sensitive one, I know that, like, ya know, "Jen" uinely"! ;) BTW, Conchi is the only other Top 20 WTA player who smokes (cigarettes in her case!) I think.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:26 PM
The Tennis Week Interview: Viktoriya Kutuzova

By Brad Falkner
08/08/2003

Viktoriya Kutuzova is not your typical 14-year-old, and she'd rather not be referred to as one either. When reporters commented about her age she often responds by saying "I'm 15, well I will be in two weeks."

The cute bubbly, blond, bears a slight resemblance to another well-known Russian player. Clad in adidas athletic wear, sporting a braided ponytail and yielding a Yonex tennis racquet, from a distance you'd swear it was Anna Kournikova
Kutuzova's junior achievements include the 2003 Australian Open finalist, Astrid Bowl finalist, and Winter Cup semifinalist.

Even Kutuzova's game is reminiscent of Kournikova's — minus the double faults. She can hit both flat and topspin winners off her forehand flank ,and is equally capable with her two handed backhand, which she often uses to set up points with precise cross court angles that she can follow up with beautifully placed down the line backhand winners. Her first serves are frequently hit in the mid 90 mph range. Her return game is solid, but will need to improve against the game's top servers.

Kutuzova has the confidence and poise of a seasoned veteran. With a No. 451 world ranking Victoria has already proved that numbers aren't always an accurate measurement of talent. In her first round match at the JP Morgan Chase Open she upset Lina Krasnoroutskaya with solid 6-4, 6-4 victory. In the second round, she stunned 15th-seeded Alexandra Stevenson, who retired with a sore shoulder while trailing 3-6, 3-3. Those wins will catapult Kutuzova's ranking next week between a projected No. 265 to 270.

On Thursday, Ai Sugiyama ended Kutuzova's Cinderella story with a 6-2, 6-3 third- round victory.

"She played one bad game in each set," said Sugiyama, who beat Kim Clijsters to win Scottsdale in the spring. "For sure, she is coming up."

I sat down with this talented, amiable and ambitious Ukrainian to discuss her current place in tennis and plans for the future as well as why Chris Evert, Pete Sampras' and the 14-time Grand Slam champion's brother, Gus Sampras, are her favorite players.

Tennis Week: What have you found to be the biggest difference between juniors and the pros?

Viktoriya Kutuzova: The junior players are not as smart on the court. On really important points, they try to just get the ball back. The pros try to hit the ball very hard, they see very fast how to play the points, and on the big points they are not afraid to go for it.

TW: Will you play the U.S. Open juniors?

VK: I don't want to play juniors anymore. I'm really ready to play pro. I hope that my agent can take care of a wild card for the U.S. Open. Even if I don't get a wild card I won't play the juniors at the Open.

TW: Is that because now you are a target for junior players? Or is it more a question of having little to gain and much to lose?

VK: Right. I don't want to play juniors because now everybody wants to beat me. Everybody is going to be like 'she beat some pro players, I need to beat her'. I have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

TW: How do you feel about the WTA age eligibility rule?

VK: I want to play more tournaments, but I can't do nothing about it. I can play eight tournaments and it's not very good because I feel like I am ready. But maybe it's good because I'm not very strong physically, I was very tired today from my last two matches. Maybe it's a good rule. You will have eight tournaments and you will be ready for all eight tournaments. When you have 30 tournaments in a year you will be tired physically.

TW: You see it as more of a question of physically not being able to handle the work load, rather than psychological burn-out?

VK: Yes, psychologically, I'm ready. Physically not yet, when I am 18 I'll be ready.

TW: What are your strengths?

VK: My style is to try to hit the ball very hard and I am fast. Today, I couldn't move very fast because I was tired from the other two matches. I have a good serve. I have a balanced game.

TW: Where is your favorite place in the U.S.?

VK: Boca Raton. I was practicing there at Chris Evert's place. It is such a beautiful place. I can rest there and I can practice.

TW: How long have you lived in the States?

VK: I'm just in the States to practice and play tournaments. I live in the Ukraine.

TW: Who are your favorite players?

VK: Pete Sampras, because his brother gave me a wild card here (laughs). This is first reason. Second reason is because he very smart player and a very good champion. He's a legend, the same like with Chris Evert. I practiced with her few times. She's in really good form now. She can still hit the ball very hard, its very difficult to play against her. And she's really nice to me, she talks to me.

TW: Was there a certain player that when you were developing your game that you tried to emulate or whose playing style you tried to copy?

VK: I like how Serena serves. I can say I like how Seles hits the ball. I can say I like how Steffi Graf thinks out on the court. Not just one person.

TW: It must be very exciting for a 14-year-old girl to be succeeding at professional tennis?

VK: I will be 15 in two weeks (August 19th). This is new. I like everything, because it's new, the hotels, the cars (tour transportation). When you are a junior... I don't like to think about juniors. When I was playing the junior Grand Slams this year, I was thinking 'Next Grand Slam I play in, I want to be a pro.'

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:49 PM
In today's L.A. Times they said after the Ai match Vika's agent was telling the media he wants her to play the U.S. Open juniors event.
Vika heard him and walked out of the interview room saying "No juniors."
Vika got to eat at the adult's table. Now she doesn't want to go back to the kid's table.

Erdinger
Aug 8th, 2003, 09:27 PM
TheBoiledEgg, thanks a lot for that article/interview. It was very interesting.

Hmmm, it's definitely a tough decision from her, not to play juniors again, I mean as a 14 yr old. It can be a high risk, she easily can be crushed between all the pros.

Well, it all depends how she can handle the circumstances and the pressure.

I wish you all the best, Victoriya :) Go girl :bounce:

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Good luck Viktoriya! :D

the cat
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:55 AM
What a great adult's table and kids's table analogy, GL! :D Vika thinks going back to the juniors would be a step down for her. But I think she still needs to play a few junior tournaments a year to compliment her very limited WTA Tour schedule.

P.S. - Does anyone know why Viktorya spells her name with a y instead on an i? :confused: Is it a Ukranian or Russian thing?

Arhivarius
Aug 9th, 2003, 02:25 AM

P.S. - Does anyone know why Viktorya spells her name with a y instead on an i? :confused: Is it a Ukranian or Russian thing?

Because there is already i before ya. In Russian it is Виктория.
"ия" sounds like [E - YA]. There is always some ambiguity about Enslish forms of Russian names. Variants like Viktoria or Vicktoriya are possible.
Her last name is definitely Russian.
:)

the cat
Aug 12th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Arhi! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Getting To Know… Viktoriya Kutuzova
August 13, 2003

Two weeks ago she was unranked. Last week, having played the third pro event of her career, she debuted on the WTA Rankings at No.451. On Monday, she leapt 183 spots to No.268. Something seems to say that 14-year-old Ukrainian Viktoriya Kutuzova is a player to watch in the coming years!

Runner-up at the Australian Open juniors in January, Kutuzova made her senior debut playing three ITF Women’s Circuit events in recent months. In each event, she went one round better—second round in Jackson, Mississippi, quarterfinals in Dothan, Alabama and the semifinals at Evansville, Indiana.

Despite the rapid improvement, nothing could have prepared Viktoriya, who turns 15 next Tuesday, for her WTA Tour debut at last week’s JPMorgan Chase Open in Los Angeles.

Stepping up from a $75,000 challenger to a $635,000 Tier II Tour event is a rather big jump, but that didn’t seem to faze Viktoriya one bit.

Taking a wildcard into the main draw, she took on and beat world No.41 Lina Krasnoroutskaya 64 64 in the first round. The five-foot-six Viktoriya, who is coached by her father Valeriy Kutuzov and trains at the Evert Academy in Florida, had never previously played someone in the Top 100.

In the second round she led Alexandra Stevenson by a set before the American retired with a right shoulder strain, setting up a third round showdown with Japan’s Ai Sugiyama. That’s where her impressive run came to an end, but rest assured this won’t be the last time you hear of this rising star!

Notes & Netcords met Viktoriya Kutuzova last week in Los Angeles.

This was your first WTA Tour event and you made quite an impact, making it to the third round and upsetting top players Lina Krasnoroutskaya and Alexandra Stevenson on the way. Did you exceed your expectations at this tournament?

Well, I just wanted to play my best tennis, and I am obviously very happy with what I did, especially because I didn't think I would get that first match. I just wanted to show my best tennis and I am so happy with what I did here.

Last week (before LA), you were unranked. This week, you debuted on the WTA Tour rankings at No.451. What has your first taste of the WTA Tour been like? What did you gain from this first experience on the Tour?

Well, I think I learned a lot this week because the top players play smarter than the juniors. They play so much better. They serve so much better. It was good to play here because I learned a lot from just playing against them.

Your opponents were players whom you've watched on TV but maybe not in person. You played Tour veteran Ai Sugiyama in the third round. What was it like to play such an experienced player?

I was definitely excited to play her. She's such a great player. She hits the ball so hard, and she's so fast. She had some great serves, had some aces. Also, she can make those good angles on the ball. She can play like 30 balls and not get tired.

How did you become involved in tennis? What made you want to be a professional tennis player?

I watched tennis first on TV when I was really young, and I thought it was really interesting. Tennis has always been something that I wanted to do. I played in my first tournament about seven years ago, and I loved it.

You're 14-years-old, going on 15. Obviously, you have a lot of time ahead of you on the Tour. What are some of your goals, short- and long-term?

This year, I will just practice a lot and play as much as I can (Viktoriya will be limited in the number of events she can play under the Tour’s Age Eligibility Rules until she turns 18). I want to be in the Top 50. Eventually, I want to be Top 5.

You've played juniors and now professionally. What are some of the major differences that you noticed between juniors and the Tour?

Well, the players are much smarter (on the court). In the juniors, the ball isn't so fast. Everything is so different. I really like it on the Tour. It's a lot nicer here.

When you're not playing tennis, what do you like to do?

I like to go shopping and swimming. I like to play on the computer and read books. Also, I watch some TV.

Who are some of the people whom you admire?

A lot of the players. I don't really have a favorite because there is something to like about all of them.

So now you have your first WTA Tour event under your belt. What was the high point of this experience for you?

Playing on stadium court.

Erdinger
Aug 14th, 2003, 12:34 PM
TheBoiledEgg, thank you for that article!

That girl is cool. :cool: Do you know by any chance what's her next tournament she's playing?

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Happy 15th birthday, Vika!!
Can you drive yet?

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 19th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Happy Birthday Vika :) :)

can she drive ??
possibly only a golf ball ;)

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Maybe a golf ball.
Maybe she drives her parents crazy.
Viva la 15!!

goldenlox
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Anyone know Vika's schedule the rest of the year?
It's been 6 weeks since she beat Lina and Alex.
I hope she's playing matches.

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Vika appears to be in the qualifiers in a 50K in Arizona that starts in two weeks.
So L.A. in August, then Sedona in October. Sounds like Vika lives in the U.S. now.

goldenlox
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Vika was on the commitment list for a challenger in Sedona, Arizona this week, but she didn't play.
I don't believe she's played a match since losing to Sugiyama in August.

the cat
Oct 20th, 2003, 03:14 PM
GL, how is not playing a tennis match for 2 months good for Vika's developement? :confused: I hope she's not injured. And I hope IMG isn't telling Vika that she's too good for the juniors. That would be a mistake. She needs matches against juniors and the pro's the develope into a good tennis player.

ally baker
Oct 20th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Eggy, wouldn't you agree that Vika is far better than your ugly ass favorite, Lina?

I would.

Thus, Vika should be playing the big tournies.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:00 PM
:p :rolleyes:@Leena

Vika plays Andreea Vanc in 1st rd qualies in Pittsburgh
good luck Vika :)

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:09 PM
I hope Vika plays. She needs match experience.
No matter how good or how smart Vika thinks she is, she needs to learn how to fight through tough matches.
You can't do that in practice matches.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:27 PM
The 15 year old Vika is playing Andreea Vanc, who is 30 years old. And #182.
Not every day that you play a tournament match against someone twice your age.
Wear her out Vika!

goldenlox
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:36 PM
Viktoriya lost in Pittsburgh to Vanc 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.
Vika still has a way to go. She shouldn't be trying to tell the adults around her what's best for her, imo.

the cat
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:29 PM
I completely agree with you, GL. Vika does not know what's best for her. I just hope IMG does.

And it's a shame all the positive momentum she had this summer is gone. :(

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Vika beat Amber Liu 6-2, 6-4 in Eugene, Oregon. Liu is 19 and ranked about #250.

goldenlox
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Vika lost to Stephanie Dubois 6-4, 6-3. Dubois turned 18 two weeks ago and is ranked about #480.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:59 PM
not a good loss
i saw Steph play Alisa Kleybanova at Wimbledon this yr, she's small, moves well and packs a decent punch on her FH

still would have thought Vika would have handled her ok.
no idea if anythings bothering her again physically.
if only we had report of the match.

vaiva
Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Whatever happened to Vika?

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
It all comes back to Vika leaving the juniors too soon. There was no need for her to leave the juniors at age 14. :( I hope Vika finds her game and rebuilds her confidence.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Vika is 15. There is no rush.
What's important is for Vika to enjoy her practices, and keep improving.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
I read this today-

Viktoria Kutusova has been training in Florida with her dad at Evert and got a main draw wild card to Indian Wells.

That's good. Now don't tell the media you want to kill your opponent this year.

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:29 PM
I like Vika's tough talk. :devil: I bet she hopes she plays Stevenson and Krasnoroutskaya again. :)

I know she's 15, GL. But she quit the juniors when she was 14.

I suppose Vika is training with Maria Kirilenko at the Evert Tennis Academy in Florida.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Vika's got a maindraw WC into Indian Wells
good luck Vika :) hope she's ready to rock :)
one good win and she could be moving up ranks and get into RG qualies and be exempt under AER.

cat..... Lina was sick in that match, she definately was no where near match fit.

- L i n a -
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Then, the next week, Lina was magically cured...

And then went back to being sick, and she is still sick. :sad:

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Let Vika have some credit. Nobody is 100% every match. You have to find a way to win.
Go have fun. At 15, a Tier I is like chocolate. Enjoy.

- L i n a -
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Udachi Vika :)

No pressure on her... just have fun, and soak up the experience as much as possible.

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Last year Vika said "I want to kill everybody before the match starts."
I like her. She's going to be fun to follow.

- L i n a -
Mar 4th, 2004, 05:03 AM
I like that kind of attitude. :)

I will be cheering for Vika.

the cat
Mar 4th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Eggy, I like Lina alot. :) She is the most likable of the Russina's. :D But she doesn't like to play the youngsters. That much is evident. Maybe she wasn't feeling well for her match against the then 14 year old Kuzutsova last summer. And then the then 15 year old Golovin beat Lina in straight sets at the 2004 Australian Open. I think Lina gets a major case of nerves before she plays a player a couple years to a few years younger than she is. And that's understandable. Lina hasn't even played Maria Sharapova yet and she'll probably be very nervous playing Masha when they do play for the first time. Lina needs to conquer that fear of playing the youngsters because she's going to be playing them more and more in the future.

As for Vika, I want her to talk big and talk tough. It will take some of the media attention away from Maria and then Masha can just concenetrate on tennis.

- L i n a -
Mar 4th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I'm shocked that you found a way to include Maria.

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Me too. I didn't see the connection. Lina played Vika and Golovin.

the cat
Mar 4th, 2004, 11:40 PM
The connection is that Lina struggles against player younger than she is. That much is obvious. And Lina needs to correct that so she can improve her ranking.

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 11:53 PM
But Maria is ranked higher than Lina. Vika against Lina is different.

- L i n a -
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:00 AM
But, Lina has a win over a #1 player.

So, she can beat Maria.

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Lina and Elena D. both seem to have problems focusing against young players.
I think Vika would like to draw Elena, if she plays.

goldenlox
Mar 8th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Vika plays Reeves at Indian Wells. She beat Maria S. here last year. A tough draw, but the pressure is on Sam. Do your best.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 8th, 2004, 10:17 PM
good luck Vika :)
Sam hasnt won a match all yr so might be ok but Vika hasnt played for along time either

best wishes Vika :)

goldenlox
Mar 12th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Vika up a break, serving at 5-3.

goldenlox
Mar 12th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Vika up 2 breaks in the third, serving at 6-4, 3-6, 3-0.

Epigone
Mar 12th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Vika lost 6-4 3-6 4-6 :sad:

goldenlox
Mar 12th, 2004, 02:57 AM
That's a bad loss. Up 2 breaks in the third. Vika has a lot to learn if she is going to be a good player on the tour.

- L i n a -
Mar 12th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Ouch Vika. :bigcry:

At least she's proved again that she can play on the main tour, and hopefully she learns something from this.

goldenlox
Mar 12th, 2004, 03:18 AM
There is nothing good about this match. Vika has to learn a lot. And finish a lot better.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 12th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Vika :sad: :mad: :bigcry: very disappointing :(

KV
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Very close of winning

Cro-boy
Mar 12th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Good luck in Miami Vika

goldenlox
Mar 13th, 2004, 11:36 PM
If Vika could have held that 2 break lead, I could have seen her play Justine, and taped the match.
Up 2 breaks in the third, you have to keep fighting, at least keep the ball in play.

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:34 AM
Vika plays Marissa Irvin, who played very well last week. The winner gets Nastya.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Vika up a break, 3-5. But she won the first set against Reeves in IW, then lost the match.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Go Marissa!

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Vika up 6-3, 2-1, Marissa just broke at 2-0.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:23 AM
When the rains came, Vika was serving 6-3, 4-4. Let's see if Vika can finish this match with good tennis.
And play well against the Russian #1.

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Don't underestimate, Marissa.

She has talent, she just wastes it all.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:33 AM
I saw Marissa beat Meghann, Miami 2002, and I know she can play.
Vika was up 2 breaks in the third against Reeves. She has to learn how to finish.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:30 AM
It appears that Nastya is out. So if Vika wins, she plays a lucky loser.
A great opportunity for Vika.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Vika won 6-3, 6-4. Well done. She now plays Dulko.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:23 AM
well done Vika ;) :yeah:
she pulled it off :)
congrats Vika ;) now good luck in rd2........vs Dulko

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Dulko will be more of a test. She's playing some good tennis lately.

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Vika retired down 4-6, 1-4 to Dulko. I think Vika proved she has game in IW and Miami.
Now take your time and get healthy.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 27th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Vika's shoulder must still be a big problem :(
all those DF's :(
she retired :sad:

she did have an injury timeout in her previous mstch but for some leg prob.

- L i n a -
Mar 27th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I hope Vika is fine. If she's injured at all, now isn't the time to take risks.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 27th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Argentine lucky loser Gisela Dulko defeated Viktoriya Kutuzova 6-4 4-1 when the Ukranian retired with right leg tendinitis.

:sad: :sad:

fan22
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Miami
Thursday, March 25, 2004
Main Draw First Round

http://www.tennis.info/images/Nasdaq4/04Thu/Kutuzova0487.jpg
Viktoriya Kutuzova of the Ukraine beat Marissa Irvin of the USA 6-3 6-4

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Vika looks very adult now. I can barely recognize her from last year's photos.
Take your time and get healthy. You have years and years ahead of you.

fan22
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Vika looks very adult now. I can barely recognize her from last year's photos.
Take your time and get healthy. You have years and years ahead of you.Goldie-
good point,
good advice

see below for several recent pictures from Indian Wells
(caption):
INDIAN WELLS, CA - MARCH 11: Viktoriya Kutuzova from the Ukraine waits for a shot against Samantha Reeves of the USA at the Pacific Life Open on March 11, 2004 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California. (Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)

Gowza
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:08 AM
vika is playing in texas this wee, #2 seed and won her first match but it took 3 sets.

Gowza
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Kutuzova d. hodzic 63 63. vika won her 2nd round match in texas. well done.

Kutuzova
Jun 18th, 2004, 10:38 PM
:bounce: Good Jod Vikti! :bounce:
You can take this tourney!

goldenlox
Jun 18th, 2004, 10:42 PM
I was waiting for you to bump this thread up.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 19th, 2004, 03:13 AM
nice to see her back in action again.
Vika should really win this :)

Gowza
Jun 19th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Kutuzova(2) d. Vakharia 61 61 in the QFs. this is more like vika.

Kutuzova
Jun 19th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Vikti should rip through the rest of the tourney!
She started slow because she has not played many matches lately. Now it is comming together. In btw. her pro tourneys I think she should play the juniors some.

Gowza
Jun 20th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Uberoi d. Kutuzova 60 62 in the SF. unexpected loss and the scoreline. when was the last time vika got bagelled.

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Uberoi beat Nicole and Sesil a few weeks ago. She's 18.

Gowza
Jun 20th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Uberoi beat Nicole and Sesil a few weeks ago. She's 18.
ah didnt know that, but i am still a bit shocked at the score line.

Kutuzova
Jun 20th, 2004, 01:02 PM
This is not the Ubeori that beat Sesil and Nicole, it is her older sister Shikha. The sisters are playing each other in the final. Not a good loss Vikti :bigcry:

daniela86
Jun 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: It is a pity, Vika should won this tournament :bigcry: :bigcry: Btw, I am confident, Vika will do some nice things this year and this SF is just the beginning!Udachi Vika, we love you!!! :)

Kutuzova
Jul 3rd, 2004, 10:17 PM
Vikti will be on the NY Buzz WTT team with Navratilova

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2004, 10:18 PM
That's good. Maybe I'll get to see her play on tv. This stuff doesn't hurt. Sharapova loves it.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 03:15 PM
http://www.timesunion.com/shared/graphics/newsdb/040707tennis.jpgThe Ukraine's Viktoriya Kutuzova, 15, returns a volley during a World TeamTennis game at Central Park in Schenectady. (Angela Bishop / Times Union)

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Vika beat Reeves in WTT. But she got buried in doubles.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Vika lost 5-1 to Talaja in WTT. Not good. Anna's watching. You have to show your good stuff.

ZAK
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Vika lost 5-1 to Talaja in WTT. Not good. Anna's watching. You have to show your good stuff. ...but she did beat Anna in doubles and mixed;)

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Kutuzova said she was excited to play against Kournikova for the first time.

"She was a great player, she's nice looking, what else do you need," the 15-year-old Kutuzova said. "She's a legend. She's a great player. And she's a Russian, and I'm a Russian, so it was a great experience."

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 02:42 PM
What's important is that you are focused for every match you play. At 15, you never know when you will have a breakthrough. And when that day comes, and you're hitting the ball well, and moving well, and feeling good - you want to be focused on every point.
So you can take your game to the next level.

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Big night for Vika -
WD: Kutuzova/Stewart (NYB) def. Bielik/Seles (NYS) 5-2
WS: Kutuzova (NYB) def. Seles (NYS) 5-0

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 04:37 AM
I've been reading about how Vika hits with pace. Because she lost to Reeves at Indian Wells, I've never seen her play.
But if Vika hits with pace, and covers the court, she's got a shot to be good.

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 09:13 PM
http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/pics/04tt/04ttvk02.jpg
Viktoriya Kutuzova

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Here's a Vika article. Over the next few years, there'll be plenty more of these -

http://www.timesunion.com/graphics/colsigs/buzz.gifKutuzova is the Buzz's teen queen
By DAVID FILKINS, Special to the Times Union
First published: Tuesday, July 13, 2004

SCHENECTADY -- It's not hard to predict Viktoriya Kutuzova's favorite activity. After all, it's one she shares with just about every other 15 year-old girl.

http://www.timesunion.com/graphics/transparent.gifhttp://www.timesunion.com/graphics/transparent.gifhttp://www.timesunion.com/graphics/transparent.gifhttp://www.timesunion.com/graphics/transparent.gif"Going shopping," Kutuzova said. "I love going shopping. It's fun. When you get money, you want to go spend it, right?" she said with a smile.

But Kutuzova is anything but your typical teenager. As a member of the New York Buzz, she has been one of the summer's best players in World TeamTennis. And at the rate she's going, Kutuzova will see a lot of shopping money in her bright future.

Kutuzova and playing partner Bryanne Stewart staged a remarkable comeback in the opening set Monday night, winning 5-4 after trailing 4-0 as the Buzz were victorious 23-21 over the Springfield Lasers in front of 1,000 fans at MVP Stadium.

It was the Buzz's (2-4) first home win of the season.

The slender blonde from Odessa, Ukraine also won her singles match, 5-2 over Daja Bedanova. The win moves Kutuzova into fourth place in women's singles play in the WTT.

A rookie on the WTT tour, Kutuzova has used a powerful serve and an equally strong ground game to make her presence felt. On July 9, she had the standout performance of her young career, defeating Monica Seles, the winner of nine Grand Slam singles titles, 5-0.

"Beating Seles, that was the best moment of my life I think," Kutuzova said. "That win gave me hope and showed me that in a game, anything is possible. I just need to always try and do my best."

If Kutuzova's best includes beating world renowned players, she is off to a smashing start. Aside from the win over Seles, Kutuzova also defeated fellow Russian Anna Kournikova as part of a mixed doubles match on July 8 at MVP Stadium.

While Kournikova's recognition comes mostly from her stunning good looks, Kutuzova, who bares a striking resemblance to her blonde Russian counterpart, wouldn't mind being known for a multitude of reasons either.

"She (Kournikova) is happy, and that's not bad," Kutuzova said. "She's rich, she has a lovely boyfriend, and she's happy. Isn't that what we all want?"

But make no mistake about it, Kutuzova has her sights set on one thing and one thing only -- being the best player in women's tennis.

"Right now my focus is on my tennis career," Kutuzova said. "Once that's done with, then I can do what ever I want."

For now, what Kutuzova wants is to keep climbing the tennis ranks. She is the youngest female to ever reach the finals of the junior Australian Open, and reached the third round of the JP Morgan Chase open, a World Tennis association tournament, last year. Kutuzova's first ever competitive victory came at the age of seven, only two months after she first picked up a racket. "I started playing with my dad for fun, and when I won after two months of practicing I knew I could get better and better," Kutuzova said. "I thought it was funny. That's when I knew I could get real good, real quick."

Daniel
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:29 PM
:bounce: :kiss: Vamos!!!

Vass22
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:43 PM
You go girl!

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 06:36 PM
"Right now my focus is on my tennis career," Kutuzova said. "Once that's done with, then I can do what ever I want."

This is a great quote. And there's so much great stuff to do in life. Especially if you have financial security.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Next week is L.A.
A year ago, Vika beat Lina and Alex, and this thread really got going. That was a quick year.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Vika beat Bedanova 5-2, that was after beating Seles 5-0. Now she needs a WC to L.A.
She has points to defend.

Kutuzova
Jul 17th, 2004, 01:02 PM
She has TONS of talent. She has played well in her WTT debut and is 5th in the overall singles. She should get a WC and do well with it. GO VIKTI!

goldenlox
Jul 17th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I know Vika beat Bedanova 5-2, after beating Seles 5-0. But she lost to Reeves 5-3 last night.
I'm still mad at Vika because she lost to Reeves at Indian Wells.
I could have taped her against Justine. You have to win the matches that will get you on tv.

goldenlox
Jul 18th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Vika beat Dragomir 5-3, and played doubles with Navratilova. Listen to what Martina says. Ask her questions.
Martina understands what it takes to win at the pro level.

ZAK
Jul 18th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Vika will fall well out of the top 400 after the LA points come off

goldenlox
Jul 18th, 2004, 05:10 AM
It doesn't matter at age 15. Vika has a lot of improving to do. Look how quickly Maria moved up the rankings.
Vika has to improve her game. Then she wins matches, and gets her ranking up.

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I read that Vika's been experimenting with her serve (incorporating more spin and a different toss). That's smart. Get your serve as good as you can get it. And do it now.

goldenlox
Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:44 AM
Vika played doubles with Navratilova, then lost to Sequera. Ask Martina about your serve. How to improve it.
Ask her how to develop your game. Get her telephone number. And ask for advice when you need it.
That's what I would do. She has a good understanding of what it takes to win matches.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
have any of u seen Vika play in WTT ???

she seems to have grown quite a bit since i saw her last summer at Wimbledon.

goldenlox
Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
I've been waiting to see her. Maybe highlights of the doubles with Martina will be on tv.
I want to see what her serve looks like.

goldenlox
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Kutuzova, born two years prior to Navratilova's last Wimbledon singles victory in 1990, had a succinct answer when somebody pointed out the age difference between the two.

"So what?" she said. "She's moving really good and she's a really strong person."

Kutuzova, currently ranked 279th in singles, yearns to be the world's No. 1 player someday. That's a position Navratilova has held for a total of 331 weeks during her remarkable career.

Navratilova, who didn't play singles on Wednesday, instead watched Kutuzova lose 5-4 to Hartford's Sequera. "She needs to work on her serve, and I think I can help her a little bit on that," Navratilova said. "Her groundstrokes are awesome. She played a good game. She's a hard worker and she wants it really badly, so I think we'll be seeing her in the future."

Martina understands the serve as well as any coach in the world. Listen to her. In fact, she understands the whole game - mental, mechanics, and fitness. She has real wisdom from experience.

goldenlox
Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
The serve is a huge part of the game. You should make sure your mechanics are sound -

Kutuzova's wobbly serve was the obvious culprit in that tiebreak loss. Viktoriya confirmed afterwards that she is still tinkering with it. "It's not a problem. I just need to work more. I just change it a week ago. Sometimes I go back to my old serve, but it should be good. I'm not worried about it." Luckily for Kutuzova, she's got a fairly experienced tutor available. "She needs to work on her serve. I can help her a little bit, I think, on that," said Martina Navratilova after the match. Martina has impressed by the kid overall, though.

goldenlox
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Vika -

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid131/p9065275c1471b4ccc7f155bf5fbf9c0e/f7b396af.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid131/p2ae9aa1df7660f4c40337817e3c4829c/f7b396b4.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:59 AM
I still haven't seen Vika play. She lost 5-2 to Nicole.
You can see from Nicole's serve, how important that part of the game is.
If you want to be top 10, and make the big bucks, you need a complete game.
Unless you're another Dementieva.

rwb196
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I still haven't seen Vika play.

......then you may be interested in this site, it has 3 short Quicktime movie
clips of Kutuzova in action at the JP Morgan Chase event last year, sorry
Boiled Egg but they are from the win against your fave Lina K :-(

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/LA03/#Viktoriya_Kutuzova

goldenlox
Jul 29th, 2004, 06:08 AM
http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/pics/04tt2/04cgttvk2.jpg
Viktoriya Kutuzova

goldenlox
Jul 31st, 2004, 11:42 PM
I finally saw Vika play a few points on the WTT show. She's not a power player.
I would suggest you watch Anastasia Myskina. How she varies pace and placement.
Always work on your movement. If you can't pound it, make sure you get everything back.

Kutuzova
Aug 5th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know where Vikti plays next

goldenlox
Aug 18th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Vtka turns sweet 16 on Thursday. This is a big year for her. If Vika wants to have a successful pro career, she can't stay at #460.
She has to start winning matches. And get near the top 100 in the next 12 months.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Happy birthday Vika! Have a great day. Then get back to work.
The next 12 months are huge for you. You want to be in the top 100 by the time you're 17.
So stay positive and keep working.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:35 PM
finally Vika won another WTA match again (not that she's been playing alot)
beat Emmanuelle Gagliardi 76(4) 64 in Indian Wells :banana: ;)

well done Vika ;) :D
now good luck in r2 vs Flavia Pennetta :)

goldenlox
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I thought about bringing this thread up when Vika beat Gags, but she's barely top 500.
So I was going to wait until she beat Pennetta.

I don't know if Vika had health problems, or just poor results.
But she's old enough to understand what's going on.
It takes focus.

Epigone
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Vika :dance:

She did really well to fight back in the 2nd set and avoid going into a 3rd set

Flavia has been playing very well on clay, but what can she produce here?

I can sense another upset :D

KV
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Great result :D :)

smarties
Mar 11th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Apparently, someone who saw her in the qualis, said that she has grown quite a bit; don'tknow if that will affect her game.

Kutuzova
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Vikti has had some shoulder problems at the end of last year but hopefully everything is healed and she is all better for this year. Great Job and I can also feel an upset over the clay court talent Pennetta!

Vikti so talented, she is up there with Nicole, Michaella and Sesil, she just needs to put it all together and this is a great tourney to start at!

goldenlox
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Apparently, someone who saw her in the qualis, said that she has grown quite a bit; don'tknow if that will affect her game.I read that also. She looked mature last year.
I'm looking forward to seeing her now.

Epigone
Mar 13th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Vika def. Flavia Pennetta 7-6(4) 4-6 6-3 :woohoo:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 13th, 2005, 09:10 AM
another awesome win for Vika :banana: :D :kiss: ;)
great Vika :banana:

good luck in next rd ok ;)

Kutuzova
Mar 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Awsome Job Vikti!

daniela86
Mar 13th, 2005, 01:03 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: vika is so surprising and impressive this week :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: congrats lil girl! :hug: :) :) i'm happy she finally won some good matches, i remember seeing her losing in challengers but this period seems to be over now:D Good luck in third round viki!! :hug: :angel: you're so talented!

goldenlox
Mar 13th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Vika seems to do her best on these outdoor California courts.
Now do this everywhere you play.

KV
Mar 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Fantastic :D

goldenlox
Mar 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Miami
Thursday, March 25, 2004
Main Draw First Round

http://www.tennis.info/images/Nasdaq4/04Thu/Kutuzova0487.jpg
Viktoriya Kutuzova ofthe Ukraine beatMarissa Irvinof the USA 6-3 6-4Here's Vika from last March. She got a WC for Miami '05.

goldenlox
Mar 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Vika up 6-3 over Frazier.

KV
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Vika wins 6-3 6-3 Wonderful

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:18 PM
omg Vika won again 63 63 :woohoo: :kiss: :banana:
well done Vika ;) :D :)

vaiva
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:30 PM
One geezer down, well done Vika. ;)

And the prize is a date with a current #1. What else can you dream of?

I hope Eurosport will show it, but have some doubts

Epigone
Mar 15th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Vika :dance:
Now comes the big test, so don't stop :drive:

goldenlox
Mar 15th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Pretty amazing for a player ranked about #460 to be mowing down these solid pros, like Pennetta and Frazier.
Enjoy this one, and keep your focus.

Daniel
Mar 15th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Good luck vs Davenport :)

Epigone
Mar 16th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Lindsay beat Vika 6-1 6-4 :bigcry:

She was broken in the 10th game of the 2nd set after being up 30-0 :sad:

KV
Mar 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Great tourney with a well deserved WC.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Vika :bigcry: :sad: :sad:

wonder if Vika will take play her JE into next weeks 25k

she does have another WC into Miami, after this week, might be better to rest.

goldenlox
Mar 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM
That was some week! And a nice payday.
Now, if you can keep this level, and show consistency, then you're on your way to a good career.

the cat
Mar 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Vika has played well in Indian Wells. But it's vital that she build on this good tournament with more good play in the coming months even if that good play is only in small touraments.

Gowza
Mar 16th, 2005, 11:50 PM
i thought vika had fallen behind the other young up and comers but this showing suggests otherwise.

Kutuzova
Mar 17th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Great Tourney, showed that you are still one of the rising stars, and I hope to see you live in Miami!

Epigone
Mar 19th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Here is a little story on Vika from an article posted in the GM forum
"You won't see parents a lot with the male players," said Jovanovic.

For example, Viktoriya Kutuzova, who is only 16, brought along both parents and her 6-year-old sister.

She said she normally travels with only her father Valeriy Kutuzov, who is also her coach, but feels more comfortable when her mother and sister are there too.

"I can't concentrate because I miss them," said Kutuzova, who's very close to her mom and sister.

"I can't be here (on tour) more than two months because I miss them," she said.

Ranked 473, Kutuzova entered the Pacific Life Open as a wild card and made it to the round of 16. She lost to Davenport on Tuesday.

Even though she's no longer playing, Viktoriya, who is staying at the Renaissance Esmeralda in Indian Wells, said her and her family plan to stick around until the tournament is over to watch the games and enjoy the desert. "It's the first time my whole family has been here. I like it. I enjoy it, I don't want to go home," she said.link (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=156648)

daniela86
Mar 19th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Good luck for Miami Vika :D :D i hope her parents+ her lil sister will be there too cause i really feel like seeing a big performance signed Vika Kutuzova and it seems her parents helps her a lot with their support:D :hug: :hug: davai vika!!! :bounce:

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Vika plays Ruano Pascual.

Epigone
Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:31 AM
Given some of the matchups floating around, I think this is a good one for Vika :yeah:

If she wins this match, then things open up quite nicely

goldenlox
Mar 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Vika lost 6-3, 7-5. She still has alot of work ahead of her.

Epigone
Mar 25th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Vika :crying2:

Keep building on your success from IW :)

Kutuzova
Mar 26th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Tough Loss for Vikti, but she showed some awesome stuff at Indian Wells. Hopefully she will play some more tourneys this year because she played less than the amount she could have last year. If she plays the maximum amount of tourneys that she can I think she will be closing in on top 100 this year. She just needs to keep up the tennis from Indian Wells.

Derek.
Mar 27th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I saw Vika's match live. She gave a good fight. She could have won the 2nd set because it was 5 all, but Vika failed to hold serve. She got upset after that and didn't fight much. She showed some great skills and I heard several people in the crowd talk about her backhand. :) After a long rally that Vika lost she gave out a loud scream and the crowd laughed a bit. :p I got her autograph even though she lost the match. Then a little girl went up to her for an autograph and Vika said, "Hey, can I do this later because I feel so bad right now." :sad: Then she walked towards the lockerroom with tears starting to show. :sad: She should be proud of herself because she made it a good match in the 2nd set. :) She's sticking around though and helping Nicole Vaidisova practice. I saw them practicing yesterday. :)

Kutuzova
Mar 27th, 2005, 12:51 PM
She has the Luxilon Cup starting Tuesday! Good Luck, you are one of the favorites to win!

Derek.
Mar 28th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Does anyone know by chance the name of Viktoriya's racquet? :)

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Vika is playing Osterloh today in the FCC qualies.

Epigone
Apr 9th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Vika def. Osterloh 6-4 6-0 :bigclap:

EDIT: Vika faces Alyona Bondarenko in the next round :fiery: :sad:

KV
Apr 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Impressive scoreline. :)

Derek.
Apr 10th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Good job Vika!!!! :D

Good luck against Alyona Bondarenko!!!!! :D

Kutuzova
Apr 10th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Great Job Vikti! Keep up the great tennis that you have been playing!

daniela86
Apr 10th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Indeed KV it's a very impressive scoreline :yeah: :bigclap: :clap2: :D :p Congrats Vika, i didn't know she was good on clay too :) Good luck against Alyona today, ukranian tennis seems rising and rising:) :) :bounce:

goldenlox
Apr 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Vika, you're doing very well this spring. Keep it going.

Epigone
Apr 10th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Vika won 7-6(5) 6-4 :clap2:

Another good win :yeah:

Alyona :sad:

Derek.
Apr 10th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Good job Vika!! :D

Epigone
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Vika plays Kristina Brandi in the 1st round

This is another chance for a good performance at a Tier I

daniela86
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Udachi Vika against Kristina :) :) :aparty: you can beat her! :kiss:
Vika also plays doubles with Nicole Vaidisova this week (the youngest team of the draw :p ). they will face morariu/pierce in first round. good luck!

Derek.
Apr 12th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Vika beat Brandi 1-6 6-0 6-1!!! :D Good win Vika, though 6-0 6-1 would have saved you more time. :p Another strong Tier I event so far!!! :woohoo:

Epigone
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Vika, that is a seriously impressive win :bowdown:

Daniel
Apr 12th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Well done :clap2: :)

goldenlox
Apr 12th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Wow! Vika is doing great!

Derek.
Apr 13th, 2005, 04:24 AM
She plays Fabiola Zuluaga in the 2nd round on Wednesday!! :D Good luck Vika!!!! :D

Epigone
Apr 13th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Vika defeated Zuluaga 6-3 6-1 :eek: :bigclap:

This is a huge win! :worship:

goldenlox
Apr 13th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Vika!! What are you doing? :lol:
Don't create unrealistic expectations :cool:

daniela86
Apr 13th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Vika :eek: She is more than on fire :D :worship: :worship: a that easy win against a clay court player is very very impressive!! Congrats!! :aparty: :aparty: :aparty: I think she'll be in top 50 soon ! :D
She may face Davy in next round :scared: :scared: Good luck vika!!!!

KV
Apr 13th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Great result. :D

Derek.
Apr 13th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Vika, you are playing amazingly on clay so far. :worship: Keep it up!!!! :D :woohoo: Great job Vika!!!! :D

goldenlox
Apr 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Vika plays the big evening match with Davenport.
Go out there and fight :boxing: :banana: :banana:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 14th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Vika likes the clay ;)
probably her best surface.

yesterday was a pleasant suprise (the score)
just keep going kiddo ;) :D

upto #185 now ;) :D

Kutuzova
Apr 15th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Great JOb Vikti! Take out Davenport!

Epigone
Apr 15th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Vika lost 6-3 6-1 :sad:

Still, this was another great tournament :yeah:

Derek.
Apr 15th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Good try :sad:

Great tournament Vika!!! :D

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 15th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Vika :sad: :bigcry: :(

Andy.
Apr 15th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Who and what is her game like i have never seen her play ?

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Vika is doing great. The next step is to get into the main draw at the majors.
That's where the :hearts: $$:hearts: is.
Get that ranking up.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 15th, 2005, 04:04 PM

I've just seen her on the grass and that doesnt tell alot (Wim 03 is when i last saw her and that was the start of her shoulder probs)
from what i saw, her FH seemed to be her best weapon.
but she she goes for her shots and has a pretty loud grunt.

daniela86
Apr 15th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Vika :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :( good luck for the next tournament :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

nouf
Apr 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM
i have 2 hqs of yesterday!

enjoy! :-)

http://pagesperso.laposte.net/wtahq/showthread.php?p=94#post94

Kutuzova
Apr 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM

I saw her play last year. She has beautiful groundstrokes that can be very powerful with a loud grunt. Her serve has improved a lot and that has helped these results this year. She also has a very nice slice to change the pace of the ball. Her movement needs to improve to break the top 50 but right now she has all the tools to be a top ten player. She just needs to keep improving. I really love her fight and her ability to stay calm in tough situations. This girl is going to be challenging Vaidisova and Ivanovic for the starlight.

Great tourney Vikti, now you are top 200 and have a place in RG Qualies!!!!!!!!!!

Derek.
Apr 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM
When I saw her play in Miami, I thought her backhand was really good. :)

daniela86
Apr 21st, 2005, 09:37 PM
It's a pity Vika doesn't play in Fed Cup for Ukraine, they could have had a great team with all those youngsters: Katerina Bondarenko, Olga Savchuk and Vika :D I know she feels more russian than ukranian but me thought she would play for ukraine all the same. Do you think she will ever play in Fed Cup for Ukraine? If she doesn't want to play for them, she 'd better change her nationality :)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:28 AM
It's a pity Vika doesn't play in Fed Cup for Ukraine, they could have had a great team with all those youngsters: Katerina Bondarenko, Olga Savchuk and Vika :D I know she feels more russian than ukranian but me thought she would play for ukraine all the same. Do you think she will ever play in Fed Cup for Ukraine? If she doesn't want to play for them, she 'd better change her nationality :)

asking Vika, she says she's Russian, still I think she didnt play cos she's based in US.
change of nationality to Russia would be :angel: but that would be tough get into Fed Cup team but as long as she dont play for US :o it will be ok :worship:

daniela86
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Vika plays at Marseilles this week (challenger of 50 000 dollars) Best of luck to her :music: :music: :bigclap:
Here is the draw:

1) Tathiana Garbin ITA vs. Tatiana Poutchek BLR
(WC) Mayline Andrieux FRA vs. Zuzana Kucova SVK
Lenka Nemeckova CZE vs. Ivana Abramovic CRO
Nathalie Vierin ITA vs. (5) Marie-Eve Pelletier CAN

(3) Michaela Pastikova CZE vs. Mervana Jugic-Salkic BIH
Qualifier vs. Julia Vakulenko UKR
:rocker: :rocker: Viktoriya Kutuzova UKR :rocker: :rocker: vs. Martina Muller GER
Eva Fislova SVK vs. (6) Severine Beltrame FRA

(7) Paula Garcia ESP vs. Maria Fernanda Alves BRA
Qualifier vs. Qualifier
(WC) Mathilde Johansson FRA vs. Qualifier
(WC) Pauline Permentier FRA vs. (4) Camille Pin FRA

(8) Emma Laine FIN vs. Lioudmila Skavronskaia RUS
Conchita Martinez Granados ESP vs. Magda Mihalache ROM
(WC) Violette Huck FRA vs. Frederica Piedade POR
Ashley Harkleroad USA vs. (2) Emilie Loit FRA

Is this challenger a fed up for a WTA event? :confused: I think Vika can make a good tournament here but she has to be wary coz Severine Beltrame can ba an excellent player on clay :)

Kutuzova
Jun 7th, 2005, 12:38 AM
GO VIKTI!!!! play well and u have this!

Derek.
Jun 7th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Yay! :aparty: Vika's back! :woohoo: Good luck! :D

Derek.
Jun 7th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Viktoriya Kutuzova (UKR) d. Martina Muller (GER) 2-6 6-4 6-2! :D