PDA

View Full Version : Martina Navratilova will play Indian Wells with Daniela Hantuchova

Gallofa
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:40 AM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/tenis/noticias/navratilovaindianwells280102.html

(For those who do not understand Spanish, it just says that Martina and Daniela will play Indian Wells)

It seems they all want to play with Daniela - great to see Martina playing, but too bad for Arantxa, because I was hoping Daniela and Arantxa will keep playing together.

Anyhow, best of luck to Martina! may she win a title this year!! :D

mishar
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:44 AM
Sorry Arantxa fans but I was hoping this would happen and i hope Martina steals Dani away! LOL

It would be a great experience for her to play with Martina -- she may not win as much as with Arantxa (or maybe she would who knows?) but she'll learn a lot and I think it would just be a lot of fun for her because Martina's doubles matches are always very fun with the spectators very involved.

And I think it's a very good partner for Martina, who has previously indicated how impressed she is with the young Slovak with a great serve and soft hands.

Tratree
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty sure Martina is Daniela's WTA mentor..makes sense they would play together. And I will get to see it!!

Gallofa
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Yeah! lol - I am happy for Martina, cause I think her chances with Daniela are really good, but I am crying for Arantxa! how dare Martina steal Daniela? :( ;) lol

I hope Martina and Daniela will win some title together :D

Nacho
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Pffffff...

imogen
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Gosh, they all want a piece of her!! Good on Daniela, what more could she wish for? Martina is the all time great doubles player!! Who is Aranxta gonna play with??

Sonja
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Daniela can definitely benefit from Martina's experience. Hopefully she'll continue to play some with Arantxa, as well. I think both players can bring out the best of Daniela.

JonBcn
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:48 AM
I have a feeling that Martina and Arantxa have taken it upon themselves to work with Daniela throughout the year; I read that on a post here some tme ago, and now it looks as though it may be true. A pity though, it would be good to see Arantxa get a regular partner with whom she could qualify for the world championships.

tenn_ace
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:56 AM
the best choice she's done since come back. Nothing personal against Joanette or Arantxa (love this girl), but Martina needs a powerful player as a partner... I was saying this from THE VERY BEGINNING!!!

besides, I'm sure Martina liked Daniela's outfilt at the AO ;)

ptkten
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:58 AM
I don't care too much, it just concerns me that Arantxa might not play Indian Wells, she has a history of skipping that event :(

Scotso
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:03 AM
This is a good move for Martina as Daniela has everything she doesn't have and more... but I don't know about how great this is for Daniela. They could do very well together, but I think that Dani would do better with a younger partner. Plus the fact that she and Arantxa made the finals of the Australian... it doesn't make sense.

Julian
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:16 AM
I'm sure this will make a great team!! But I REALLY hope that Daniela will be a regular partner for Arantxa this year. They excel both their games very well and people don't know that arantxa is a wonderful doubles player but she can NEVER have a consistent partner since her and Jana Novotna split up... :( She has won numerous titles with different partners and to my fact she has been in the top 15 of the doubles rankings as long as I can remember, she's also always near the top of the doubles points in the Race to the Chase but not as near as in the TEAM points of the year since she keeps switching. :( Part of me wants Martina and Daniela to do well but another part wants Daniela and Martina to do bad together so Daniela could consider playing regularly with Arantxa.....LOL I'm sure Randy and Marsha are having the same problem. ;) :(

JasonW
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Well, I think Daniela has a good future, and she showed alot of versatility, though I think playing with Martina is not that smart of a move, I wish her Luck.

Now, Arantxa, I hope she plays with Jenny or Lindsay, If not one of those, then possibly Chanda if she returns, or even MOnica.

Vamos Arantxa

anabel
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:35 AM
So Daniella prefers to lose in 1st rounds than get GS finals.......?
Stupid decision

barmaid
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Well as a fan of old Martina and a fan of young Martina...I think its great that she wants to still play doubles...however realistically she is 44 years old...probably in the best physical shape of any 44 year old out there but the fact remains..is she too old? The "Spice" girls have their number and should do it again. Yes, old Marti was smart to pick up Daniele ..feel sorry for ASV though..she was a little bull dog of a competitor...should be a good match if they do end up playing each other...all I can say is Good Luck Martina????
d:rolleyes:
barmaid:wavey:

junkartist
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Wonderful to see that she is swiftly being recognized for her talents...Great exposure for her! Go Dani!:bounce:

Jordan.
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Cool!

ChrisGermany
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Who said this will be a regular partnership ?

I believe that Martina might play with her from time to time, whereas Arantxa is the regular one, especially for the GS

If NOT, Arantxa would do good playing with Rubin as Lindsay as a regular partner is injured till Wimbledon, Seles doesn´t want to play doubles as regular as those keen on qualifying for the Chase, same with Jennifer

Regarding Martina I would have hoped that she changes partners till Eastbourne and starts to play 5-8 events during the year together with Lindsay, which would be an incredible pair on grass and I think that Lindsay possibly would agree as she knows this is only a time-to-time-partnership but one that would make fun and is no burden for her singles play

Linton
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Considering Martinas Age i tihnk tis great for her. a young gun playing with the old smokey. it will be good experience. god how old i Naratiloa though. God it would be fn if she came back in singles!!

Randy H
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Well, as someone said before, Arantxa has skipped Indian Wells several times in the past and perhaps this is the scenario again. I think Martina playing with Daniela a few times will benefit both and I really hope that Dani and Arantxa play the majority of events together so that they can have a shot at making the Chase Championships together.

If Arantxa and Daniela don't pair I'd like to see Arantxa and Jennifer team up. They made semifinals both times they played together last year, and lost both of those in 3 sets to Raymond/Stubbs, and Hingis/Kournikova which already shows they can combine to be a competitive team. Anyway, we'll see how things go :)

AjdeNate!
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:29 AM
I think this will be a great partnership. Daniela can learn a lot from the volley queen! :)

Adrian
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:18 AM
mmm..I like that Combination... Team Navuchova, sort of rolls off the tongue :bounce: :bounce: :kiss:

Volcana
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:50 AM
I think Martina saw that black cocktail dress Daniela wore in the doubles final. :)

gorecki
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Dani! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:23 AM
good luck Daniela ;)

and don't wear too much revealing stuff on court with Martina or else it could distract her ;)

Justin
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Martina is a mentor to Olga Barabanshikova. Does she have Daniela, too?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Olga is now 22 ;)

Zummi
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Martina is the mentor to Mirjana Lucic.

Thanks for the news, Gallofa!

Go Martina & Daniela!

marshmellow
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:55 AM
volcana! http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/kao/chika/chirol_bak2.gif
i think it'll ber great for martina to play with daniela, and daniela to play with such an experienced player. if daniela keeps on playing with these two, she'll be great in doubles in no time...

i don't know who could be her best partner though....

sartrista7
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:42 PM
lol@cocktail dress comments - careful, Daniela ;)

Great partnership - I think Daniela could learn a lot. And, of course, I actually like both players involved.

galadriel
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Good Luck Martina N. and Daniela :bounce: