PDA

View Full Version : Please Support This Idea

mboyle
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:32 AM
I am just getting really disturbed w/ the number of people who seem to be getting banned recently, some of whom aren't even sure of the reason. Jordan, for example, thinks he was banned today for calling Richard Williams an Ape (in a joking context I am sure:rolleyes: @hyper sensitive Williams Fans), but has never recieved a warning before, and doesn't know how long he will be banned for. To prevent this from ever happening again, I think it is about time that we have some official procedures for this type of thing.

1. If you post a foul or offensive message, you get a warning. On your second offense within the month, or third within the year, you get banned for a week from the boards (turning into forever if you get caught using another SN). Finally, on the third time per month, or fourth time per year, you get banned for life.

2. If and When you do get banned, the Admins must e-mail you a message with the exact post you were banned for, and the length of time of your banishment.

3. A thread needs to be created in Bugs/Errors/Reporting discussing reasons why certain members were banned, because discussion is often the best method of prevention.

4. Finally, the official board rules need to be posted somewhere easily accesible, so that members can read the rules when they so choose. You can't expect people to follow something they don't know exists, and human beings really can't be expected to remember all the fine print of the user agreement (does anyone really know it by heart;) ?)

What do you think?

Crazy Canuck
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:33 AM
I think that this will get deleted ;)

Barrie_Dude
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:36 AM
I think that this will get deleted ;)Likely.... I wonder if I will be banned for some of the fiflth I have posted here? :eek:

Ryan
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:38 AM
I think this is a good idea, and it would be nice to discuss why people are banned. However, this will get deleted because the moderators dont take suggestions very openly.:)

PS- This should be in the Bug/Errors/Reporting forum, the mods will see it there.

jd4eva
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Yes I Agree

Sadly however I also think this will get deleted

Barrie_Dude
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:52 AM
Actally, with a little research, I already know why.....

Crazy Canuck
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:37 AM
i once received a warning and given the circumstances, i feel they were quite merciful on me. i was prepared to be banned because i knew that i had crossed a very broad line, no doubt! so i really have no complaints.
Since we're in the sharing mood, I once got a warning too. Mine was for "harassing a member"... and looking back, yeah, I was a big asshole and deserved it ;):D I agree with few things around here, but that I agree with :D

mboyle
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:48 AM
I think this is a good idea, and it would be nice to discuss why people are banned. However, this will get deleted because the moderators dont take suggestions very openly.:)

PS- This should be in the Bug/Errors/Reporting forum, the mods will see it there.

It is in there. And if they delete it, I will post it again. If they still delete it, I will PM everyone. Eventually, if it gets enough support, they CAN'T ignore it.

mboyle
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:49 AM
I got a warning for calling Myskina ugly:eek: . Tee Rexx didn't have anything happen when he called Jenifer a whore:rolleyes: .

mboyle
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Ugh. You know something is wrong when you can't even make suggestions and point out problems w/o fear of being banned.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 19th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Ugh. You know something is wrong when you can't even make suggestions and point out problems w/o fear of being banned.
Yes, I was going to tell you that that was coming next, but thought I'd let you find out for yourself ;)

kiwifan
Jul 19th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Didn't TeeRexx get suspended for calling J Cap "Miss Manners" too often?
I got "questioned" for some of the things I said about certain players early on, so I don't think the moderators are too quick on the "ban trigger".
I definitely earned a suspension that I never recieved and that had nothing to do with race, Williams or even players I didn't like.
Also many of the banned just come back and cause trouble in new stupid identities anyway. A showing of their true low character :p and ultimately proof that the bans were valid.
Moral of the story above is, by now, no one is ignorant enough to know that referring to anyone named Williams as an ape or monkey is "harmless fun".
If you do it, you should be suspended.
There is no, enhancement of tennis related dialogue (sp) in such speech (not funny, not clever, not informative, not thought provoking and mainly not nice).
That said, I don't think its wrong to generally insult players or make fun of players. J Cap isn't called Miss Manners because she's white, its her foul mouth. Hingis got Chucky because of the Evil Grin. Hanchukova's skinny, Lindsay was "not skinny" and the list goes on and on. Venus chronic injuries are the butt of jokes and sometimes I don't like them but its fair play; just like Sister arrogance is fair play (talk about the most over done topic on a supposedly pro-Williams site :p ).
There are lots of mean/funny insults everyone can hurl across these boards without going below the belt with ape/monkey comments directed towards black players.
PS. ALL BLACKS v. SPRINGBOKS gotta love it!!!

C'MON KIWIS!!!

TennisHack
Jul 19th, 2003, 03:59 AM
1. If you post a foul or offensive message, you get a warning. On your second offense within the month, or third within the year, you get banned for a week from the boards (turning into forever if you get caught using another SN). Finally, on the third time per month, or fourth time per year, you get banned for life.

The number of chances is arbitrary, but the general idea is a good one. The warning system is a good one, usually.

2. If and When you do get banned, the Admins must e-mail you a message with the exact post you were banned for, and the length of time of your banishment.

This seems reasonable. Everyone has a right to know why they are suspended and/or banned. You don't necessarily have the right to argue about it, but you should know.

3. A thread needs to be created in Bugs/Errors/Reporting discussing reasons why certain members were banned, because discussion is often the best method of prevention.

I can see more harm than good coming from this, especially considering the way this board operates (cult cult!)

4. Finally, the official board rules need to be posted somewhere easily accesible, so that members can read the rules when they so choose. You can't expect people to follow something they don't know exists, and human beings really can't be expected to remember all the fine print of the user agreement (does anyone really know it by heart;) ?)

Well, it doesn't seem fair to be banned if we don't even know we're crossing a line.

Having said all that, I too fully expect this thread to be deleted and everyone who responded to be warned, or something. Unfortunately this board isn't a democracy but a dictatorship, and the more you read around here, the better feeling you get about what is and isn't acceptable. Of course, no one is forcing you to post here, so if you don't like it, you can always leave.

I don't understand the highly addictive quality of this place, considering how mired down in negativity and hatred it is.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:35 AM
I can see more harm than good coming from this, especially considering the way this board operates (cult cult!)

lol @ the Cult cult bit...

I don't understand the highly addictive quality of this place, considering how mired down in negativity and hatred it is.

Well the fact that you can post something and get almost immediate response (due to this board being so active) surely has something to do with it? I post on a number of boards, and most of them I just post and leave and check back in a couple days. There isn't a chance to get "stuck" there because I'm not carrying on dialogue with people who are always bound to be on.

ys
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:47 AM
PS. ALL BLACKS v. SPRINGBOKS gotta love it!!!

C'MON KIWIS!!!

We'll kick your all black asses in about 8 hours time.. :bounce:

arn
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:55 AM
In defense of the admins;
I don't think the admins can read EVERY post, that's why some members who said something offensive get away with it and others get banned. This may look like they favor some posters, but I'm sure they don't. If you have problems with a post, just report.

King Satan
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:03 AM
In defense of the admins;
I don't think the admins can read EVERY post, that's why some members who said something offensive get away with it and others get banned. This may look like they favor some posters, but I'm sure they don't. If you have problems with a post, just report.
the admins and mods are always nice to me :angel:

i said some things that should've got me banned a while back, but they love me and they let me stay :angel:

DunkMachine
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:13 AM
I think the way the order on this board is being upheld has been fair. As a moderator it's impossible to read every topic. So what he has to go by is complaints and singulair posts. I held nothing against Jordan on that remark. It was daring but it was also outragious if read outof context.

I got suspended for cussing everybody and I thought it was fair. Jordan should have known better, he crossed the line and he paid for it.

PS don't go blaming williamsfans for his ban. It's his own damn fault. :wavey:

Martian Willow
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:14 AM

They will, but they will only fob mboyle off with the standard 'we don't discuss this' answer, then close the thread. That's what they always do. That's why I've never bothered, despite the fact that

a) chiara_ridolfi never received any warning, or an explanation when she was banned, which makes their insistence that they do give warnings seem rather hollow,

b) they didn't explain to me why my 'Capriati to retire in 2 hours...' thread got deleted, or any other thread I've had deleted, even when I asked and,

c) I am not the only person who has noticed that some people seem to get away with pretty much anything, while others get banned for very little, which makes using the forum feel like negotiating a minefield, with no idea of what's acceptable and what isn't. It's hard not to cross the line sometimes if you don't know where the line is.

Thanks, just wanted to get that off my chest. I know it won't make any difference. :)

Josh
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:03 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=2172384#post2172384