PDA

View Full Version : How many Grand Slams will Jennifer Capriati win in 2002?

SlamlessQueen
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:16 PM
I say 2. :angel:

sartrista7
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:22 PM
I say 1. :angel:

anabel
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:37 PM

Rubylips
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:50 PM
two

Blogger Dives
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:00 PM
One, the Australian.... And nothing more
I don't see her able to compete to win anymore this year

JuliaKS
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:26 PM
She`ll win all and get the Grand Slam!

Who else if not Jen???

C`mon Jen...you`ll do it!!!

cheeky
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:38 PM
only one,maybe 2 but i don,t see her winning wimbledon or the US open

TeeRexx
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Only one. A threepeat is scheduled for the end of the year by another player. ;)

Barrie_Dude
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Oz, French and U.S. Opens!

ys
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:34 AM
One. But it should have been zero.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:38 AM
*OUCH!* YS- You weren't happy about Jennifer's win? I was THRILLED!

ys
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:49 AM
I am fan of neither Hingis nor Capriati. But I must say that this one was pure luck. And words like "the conditions are the same for both players" are crap destined for retards. Bolivian national soccer team can not beat Team Brazil in standard conditions, so they opted to play on altitude of 4000m and succeeded a couple of times until FIFA realised that it is idiocy. Capriati might want to play tennis on one of courts of Chukotka, against Chukha champion on frozen court, and temperature of -20C, and trust me, she won't win it. Conditions will still be the same for both players. Or try to play an average Central Asian player when the temperature is +55C in shadow. The opponent won't even have to return your serve, because you'll default in 10 minutes. What happened on Saturday is beyond common sense and has little to do with tennis.

Fingon
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by JuliaKS
She`ll win all and get the Grand Slam!

Who else if not Jen???

C`mon Jen...you`ll do it!!!

errrmmm yeah, who else after she won the Aussie :p

moon
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:28 AM
who knows??
if she gets another draw like Oz and she doesn't have to go through Venus, Lindsay, Monica or Serena to win, then the skys the limit!

griffin
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Last time I looked, ys, both Hingis and Jen Cap spent most of their time in Florida, and while it's not Hingis' homeland, she didn't exactly come from the North Pole. BOTH women got kicked in the ass by the weather. Jen pulled it out, Hingis didn't. Hingis forgot what got her there and got tentative on key points, Jen didn't - give some credit where it's due.

But I'm still betting it's her only Slam this year.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:46 AM
I agree with Griffin!

griffin
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:48 AM
:eek:

You agree she'll only win one Slam this year?

I'm <i>telliiiinnnn'</i> ;)

Jovon
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:54 AM
1, I think, but she proved me wrong before!;)

Randy H
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Agree totally with griffin...Jennifer earned it and played the big points far better...It's not like she got a let cord down matchpoint or something, she kept fighting and it paid off...

Anyway, I think Jennifer *can* win more than one slam, as she's a capable player on all surfaces. I don't think Roland Garros is out of reach by any means looking at the succes rate there of Hingis, Venus, Serena, and Lindsay...Not bad records, but no wins yet for them so I wouldn't count out Jen there. I think she has the ability to win the others but I'm hard pressed to pick Jennifer over Venus who has looked near unstoppable the last 2 years at those events.

Celeste
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Who knows! Tea leaves would be better than my judgment! All I learned from last year is, never underestimate Venus or J. Cap. Who thought J. Cap could win those two slams, and that Venus would defend those Slams, and even all her other titles, except one. Well, not me. But they did. So, I don't know, tennis has become so unpredictable, that's a good thing, but I won't make a judgment about J. Cap. I saw her at that exhibition against Anna, she looked, well, very fat. So much for that. I say, J. Cap. maybe in the range of 2-3 this year. But maybe she won't win another. Who can say? My prediction is one more, but not necessarily at the French.

That heat was inhumane to both players. And they even had a roof to close. I think a rule change is in order. Either of them could have passed out, that is the sad part. That was a mean final, to both players, but J. Cap is the one who eeked it out. You have to give her some credit there, which few are doing.

ys
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Last time I looked, ys, both Hingis and Jen Cap spent most of their time in Florida, and while it's not Hingis' homeland, she didn't exactly come from the North Pole.

So what. I am from Russia.. Despite of spending half of my life in Africa and USA ( NJ ), I still can't stand the heat, especially if it is combined with a lot of sun. We are northerners, we are just not designed to withstand this kind of weather. Besides, do you really think that Hingis is regularly practicing in Florida during its hottest season? But we are not talking about just "heat". We are talking about *extreme* heat. I play a lot of competitive sports, and I am in very good physical conditioning, still when it is getting very hot, there is nothing I can do, while bigger, fatter guys will be sweating like pigs, but still functioning. Remember, tennis is not about whose body is fucntioning better under extreme conditions, it is about who strikes the ball better under conditions that are supposed to be comfortable. Capriati beat Hingis in the former department, but she was clearly second best and miles behind in the latter one.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:43 AM
(Barrie Grabs Hold Of Grif and Shakes Her)"Get A Grip On Yourself Woman, You Know That's T'ain't what I meant!!!

griffin
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ys
Remember, tennis...is about who strikes the ball better under conditions that are supposed to be comfortable. Capriati beat Hingis in the former department, but she was clearly second best and miles behind in the latter one.

Frankly, that's debatable. But even putting that argument aside, the last time I checked, tennis was a sport and therefore also about athletic ability to some extent.

Sorry. Hingis had a very impressive tournament. But two years in a row is not a fluke.

Isanie
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by ys
I am fan of neither Hingis nor Capriati. But I must say that this one was pure luck. And words like "the conditions are the same for both players" are crap destined for retards. Bolivian national soccer team can not beat Team Brazil in standard conditions, so they opted to play on altitude of 4000m and succeeded a couple of times until FIFA realised that it is idiocy. Capriati might want to play tennis on one of courts of Chukotka, against Chukha champion on frozen court, and temperature of -20C, and trust me, she won't win it. Conditions will still be the same for both players. Or try to play an average Central Asian player when the temperature is +55C in shadow. The opponent won't even have to return your serve, because you'll default in 10 minutes. What happened on Saturday is beyond common sense and has little to do with tennis.

although I think Martina should have closed the match in the second with her serve... I have to say ys has a point here...

barmaid
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:44 AM
ONE, and that was a gift!!:eek: :eek:
barmaid:wavey:

Barrie_Dude
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:51 AM
No Gift here! Jennifer earned it!

Rachel
Jan 29th, 2002, 07:39 AM
No Gift here! Jennifer earned it!

thats for sure!
go jennifer :D
... another back to back would be sweet :)