PDA

View Full Version : South Africa vs Czech Republic Draw/Scores

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:38 PM
R1 - GRANDIN (RSA) vs KOUKALOVA (CZE)
R2 - COETZER (RSA) vs STRYCOVA (CZE)
R3 - COETZER (RSA) vs KOUKALOVA (CZE)
R4 - GRANDIN (RSA) vs STRYCOVA (CZE)
R5 - GRANDIN / RENCKEN (RSA) vs BEDANOVA / BENESOVA (CZE)

interesting Barbora Strycova has been nominated here :)
ahead of the slumping duo of Bedanova & Benesova.

expecting 1-1 after day 1 but wouldn't be suprised with a 2-0 CZE

King Aaron
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:42 PM
:) Good luck Barbora.
Where's Chanelle?

butch
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Aided by 180 km/h tail winds and a resulting speed of 1050 km/h, I jetted in to Durban from Cape Town at 11:50 this morning.

There have been reports that Amanda wasn't yet in town, as she had commitments in Los Angeles earlier this week.

Well, I'm pleased to announce that she FINALLY jetted into this beautiful city some 10 minutes ago. :bounce: :bounce:

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_1389613,00.html

See you at Westridge tomorrow, Amanda!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Central
Jul 19th, 2003, 01:23 AM
I think Barbora did it reasonably well last year v. Canada ;) I hope she can make two good matches here :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 19th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Czech Republic leads South Africa 1-0
Westridge Park, Durban, RSA
Klara KOUKALOVA (CZE) d. Natalie GRANDIN (RSA) 75 63

Coetzer Fan
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Natalie :sad: :mad:

now win this Amanda :bounce: :D

lin
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Go Barbora :D

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:45 AM
omg Good luck Barbora!!! :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Amanda COETZER (RSA) d. Barbora STRYCOVA (CZE) 36 62 62

Barbora :sad: good effort though
tomorrow it will be decided by doubles

Coetzer Fan
Jul 19th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Congrats Amanda :kiss: :D :bounce:

lin
Jul 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Barbora :sad: :( but great effort against Amanda :)

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 19th, 2003, 01:16 PM
good match Barbora :), congrats Amanda!

butch
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Hi guys, just got back from the hotel. What a wonderful day of tennis it has been. The tie is level at 1-1 after Natalie Grainden lost, but Amanda recovered from a slow start to win in 3 sets.

Natalie's match, I feel, could have gone her way, but in the end Koukalova's greater experience pulled her through. The Czechs led 2-0, Natalie brought it back to 2-2, held for 3-2, Czechs held for 3-3, Natalie got broke for 3-4, broke back for 4-4, got broke for 4-5, broke back for 5-5, got broke, after leading 30-0, for 5-6, and with three forehands winners and a winning serve on setpoint the 1st set was history. Pretty much the same trend in the 2nd, and the Czechs went up 1-0. I was encouraged by how Natalie tried to change the pace of the game. High loopy forehands, but she can flatten it out as well, good slice. But Koukalova's solid ground strokes coped with all that.

Amanda stepped out and immediately had her opponent at 0-40. But Strycova won 5 straight points to hold. Games went with serve until Styconva broke for 3-1. She held for 4-1. Amanda rallied and brought it back to 3-4. And serving at 30-0 in the next game I thought the tide was turning. NNOOOTTT. A couple of errors and the Czech girl broke for 5-3. I still thought at 30-0 Amanda could pull it off (remember the Zvonereva match when Vera served at 5-3 30-0 and Amanda won the set?). Amanda made it 30-15, but a forehand wide made it 40-15, she n the next point for 40-30, but a service winner from Strycova ensured the set.

I should just add that while I was screaming my lungs out, the rest of the crowd just sat there. I was really irritated, because what is homeground advantage if the home crowds don't pull their players through?

Second set Amanda cut down her errors more, and raced to a 4-1 lead. Strycova held for 2-4, but that would be the last service game she'd hold onto. Gusty play from Amanda really paid off. She was hitting beautiful slices off the backhand,, even a couple of drive volleys. As happens when people start losing matches, the Czechs queried every close call. Amanda was regularly hitting those lines.

Third set Amanda broke for 2-0 and after leading 40-15 on serve next game, she managed to lose the game. Broke for 3-1, held for 4-1, broke for 5-1, got broke for 5-2, and after Strycova made unforced errors whenever she had a chance to go to 3-5, match point came. In the end a backhand long from the Czech player made my screaming efforts worthwhile. By that time the crowd had livened up a bit, and a couple of others where now also shouting some "C'mon Amanda"'s.

After the match went to where press interviews were conducted. Either Amanda was talking very softly, or I'm going deaf, but at times I couldn't hear a thing. Finally they were done, and she posed for 2 pictures with me.

Well, Amanda's next match is at 9:30 tomorrow, so until then it's Good bye from Durban.

Coetzer Fan
Jul 19th, 2003, 03:26 PM
thanx butch :D

ghosts
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Klara :yeah:

Barbora :(

King Aaron
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Barbora :(

tennispro105
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Natalie :sad: :mad:

now win this Amanda :bounce: :D

AGREED!!! *but hey she did win!! :) *

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Klara KOUKALOVA (CZE) d. Amanda COETZER (RSA) 64 75 :woohoo:

now the Czech's have it in the bag
wonder if they will bring in Daja to close it out.

lin
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:38 AM
wow Klara

ghosts
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Klara :kiss: :yeah: ;)

Coetzer Fan
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:49 AM
oh no Amanda !!! :fiery: :mad: :sad: :sad: :(

Wojtek
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Amanda :fiery:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Czech Republic defeated South Africa 3-1
Westridge Park, Durban, RSA
Klara KOUKALOVA (CZE) d. Natalie GRANDIN (RSA) 75 63
Amanda COETZER (RSA) d. Barbora STRYCOVA (CZE) 36 62 62
Klara KOUKALOVA (CZE) d. Amanda COETZER (RSA) 64 75
Barbora STRYCOVA (CZE) d. Chanelle SCHEEPERS (RSA) 64 76(5) :D :D
Natalie GRANDIN/Nicole RENCKEN (RSA) v Daja BEDANOVA/Iveta BENESOVA (CZE)

Rising Sun
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:24 PM
South Africa :mad:

I wonder why Chani didn't play the 1st match? :confused:

Joana
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Yay Barbora!!! ;) :D :kiss:

Jakub
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:37 PM
oh Amanda :mad::(

lin
Jul 20th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Barbora :woohoo: :D :)

ghosts
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Czech R :bounce: :D

Central
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Barbora :worship:

butch
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Hi guys

This has been a disappointing day for us here in Durban.

Amanda's match was really a matter of missed opportunities. She started badly, winning only 3 points in the first 2 games. Finally, through some positive play, she made it 2-2 and broke for 3-2. At 40-15 next game I really thought she had found her rhythm. NNOOTTT!! Forehand unforced error after forehand unforced error after forehand unforced error allowed Koukilova to break for 3-3 and hold for 4-3. I think Amanda led 30-0 next game, and again dropped serve. She broke to next game with a brilliant forehand winner down the line of a second serve, but, yes you guessed it, unforced error after unforced error and the set was history.

Second set she broke immediately, dropped serve, and broke again for 2-1. Made it 3-1. Koukilova made it 2-3. Amanda held for 4-2, Koukilova for 4-3, and then Amanda lost her serve for 4-4. Koukilova held easily for 5-4. And then Amanda held to love to save the match. Next game at 15-40 I thought that this is it again - this is her change. Great play from Koukilova though, and she finally held for 6-5. Next game at 30-30 Koukilova's return of serve hit the net, crawled over, Amanda hussled and hit a forehand crosscourt, but in the end Koukilova won the point for 30-40. And when Amanda sent a forehand long is was over.

After the game I asked Amanda if the jet lag had caught up to her. She just said that her opponent played a good match.

Personally it just seemed that Amanda lost her intensity. A couple of dubious line calls didn't help her cause. She wasn't hitting the ball nearly deep enough. On average, if she hit 7 shots in a rally, 4 to 5 of them would bounce inside the service line. It was rather windy though, and Amanda always seems to struggle when there's wind around.

Second match was a good, nervous fight. Chani Scheepers recovered from 0-2 to take it to 4-4, but she paid for her untimely unforced errors. After the first set I said to the man sitting next to me that Chani and Amanda need to go practice those serves and forehands. Their forehands were all over the place.

Second set Chani got an early break, and held on to that up till the 8th game. Strycova broke to level at 4-4, Chani broke right back for 5-4, and at 30-30 served a DOUBLE FAULT. Tentative backhand from Stycove went long next point, again Chani served a double fault, and this time Strycova broke. Chani broke right back for 6-5, but then lost serve rather tamely to 15. Strycova led 3-1 in the tiebreak, Chani fought back to 5-3, but, Strycova's steady play paid off as she took a 6-5 lead. A backhand dropshot on match point sealed the win for the visitors.

The talented duo of Koukilova and Strycova then went on to win the doubles 2-6 6-4 6-1, leaving Koukilova 3-0 this weekend in matches played.

After the match both girls signed my flag and posed for a picture with me, which I will post once I've had it developed.

This has been a great 2 days - good tennis was played by both teams. Hopefully some better luck next year for the South Africans.

Good bye from a cool Durban.

tennispro105
Jul 20th, 2003, 07:05 PM
awww.. this is sad!! :( Good Luck at the Acura Amanda!!