PDA

View Full Version : Would Espn's Cliff Drysdale ever rip Sampras or Roddick the way he did Safin?

the cat
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:17 PM
I don't think he would. But because Safin isn't American, he's an easy target.

At the end of the men's final. ESPN's Cliff Drysdale said Marat Safin "dogged" it in the second and third sets. Safin lost both sets 6-4 6-4. They were competitive sets. Safin was just a step slow for the entire final. And Thomas Johansson took advantage of it. I also think because Drysdale gave Johansson virtually no chance to win the title, he had to make up some excuse as to why Safin lost. So he came up with the he "dogged" it in the second and third sets. It was obvious to me that Safin was a step slow. And he didn't have his dominant serve. He was tired, and Johansson took advantage of the situation.

The next time a Roddick, Sampras or Agassi loses a big match, in which they lose two straight 6-4 sets, I want to hear Cliff Drysdale say they "dogged" it. Do you think he would have the guts to say that about American stars Roddick, Sampras and Agassi? I didn't think so.

Rollo
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:57 PM
In short-yes he would. Drysdale isn't American, and even if he was that hasn't stopped American Mcenroe from absolutely ripping into Sampras for not playing Davis Cup. Safin has a deserved reputation for tanking, which is one thing in a regular tour event, quite another in a grand slam. To my knowledge neither Roddick nor Sampras has ever tanked in a slam. Americans Jim Courier ans Andre Agassi were both criticized in the past for not trying their best on court. One year Courier was even reading a novel on changeovers.

ys
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Safin deserved it.

tenn_ace
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:27 PM
I agreed with Cliffy. Safin's play was atrocious, his demeanor was annoying and the girl looked slutty. :fiery:

Volcana
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:36 PM
cat - Martina Hingis isn't an American either. And by halfway thru the thrid set of the final, she was barely running for balls. Cliff Drysdale did NOT accuse her of quitting. She was dying, her legs were gone, but she gave what little she had left.

Cliff does not have a bias toward Americans. Of course, that doesn't mean he doesn't have a bias in favor of Roddick and Sampras.

junkartist
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Yes...who was that trashy broad in the stands rooting for Safin? Almost all of her boobs were hanging out...:eek:

the cat
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:36 PM
tenn_ace, Safin's play was dissapointing. He was tired. And a step slower than normal. That doesn't mean he "dogged" it. As for Safin's demeanor, he always seems unhappy about something. Alot of players are like that. And you have to remember that it was a close match. Johansson won 3-6 6-4 6-4 7-6(4). Johansson, the better and fresher player, won the championship. It wasn't given to him by Safin dogging it, or tanking it. That's a preposterous thought.

apoet29
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by the cat
tenn_ace, Safin's play was dissapointing. He was tired. And a step slower than normal. That doesn't mean he "dogged" it. As for Safin's demeanor, he always seems unhappy about something. Alot of players are like that. And you have to remember that it was a close match. Johansson won 3-6 6-4 6-4 7-6(4). Johansson, the better and fresher player, won the championship. It wasn't given to him by Safin dogging it, or tanking it. That's a preposterous thought.

Amen, cat. Great post. You echoed my own thoughts entirely! Furthermore, I would like to add that tanking it implies that Safin didn't try. He did, but Johansson did everything better that day. By implying that Safin tanked the match, your taking away from how well that Thomas J played to win that championship. Safin was the clear favorite to win, but that doesn't mean he deserved it nor does it mean that he was a lock for the title!

Safin played the best he could in that final. He beat Haas and Sampras, two very difficult opponents and made the final, which I would have never predicted. Give the guy some credit. He definantly deserves it.

tenn_ace
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:04 AM
the cat, go read my post again. I said he's play was atrocious. And I stay by my words. I didn't say anything bad about Martina (as much as I was dissapointed and sad), because she faught all the way. I didn't see that in Marat's play. He wasn't fighting and that's what I'm mad about. He did look like he thought that all he has to do it to show up for the final (Cliff's words).

As for being tired, then that's the argument I'm completely confused about. he lost early in his only warm-up tournament, didn't play doubles and had relatively easy road to the final (except for the semis).... why was he tired??????? :rolleyes:

apoet29
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by tenn_ace
the cat, go read my post again. I said he's play was atrocious. And I stay by my words. I didn't say anything bad about Martina (as much as I was dissapointed and sad), because she faught all the way. I didn't see that in Marat's play. He wasn't fighting and that's what I'm mad about. He did look like he thought that all he has to do it to show up for the final (Cliff's words).

As for being tired, then that's the argument I'm completely confused about. he lost early in his only warm-up tournament, didn't play doubles and had relatively easy road to the final (except for the semis).... why was he tired??????? :rolleyes:

No ones knows what went wrong for Safin that day except for him. He really didn't have an easy road to the finals. Safin had to face Sampras and Haas, which are two very tough opponents. The fact of the matter is that he lost and there is nothing to change it. He tried his best and it just wasn't enough.

I have to disagree with you that Martina fought all the way. She didn't. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to pick on her, especially now. But the girl was not aggressive when she had match points and completely gave up in the third set, which she openly admits to in her post match interview. Yes, we can argue that Hingis was exhausted. She won the Adidas and made the doubles final there. Martina made it to the final and won the doubles final the day before. However, Hingis has been in this position many times before and knew how to deal with it. Martina had her chances to win and didn't try hard enough to get that championship.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if we are going to point out that Safin didn't try, then we need to point out that Martina gave up.:sad:

Chris_G
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:50 AM
It wasn't Safin's finest hour, but he most certainly is one of the players Drysdale is biased against. He was ragging on Marat long before the final. Anyone who watches enough of ESPN's coverage knows Cliffy loves Rafter and Agassi, hates Rios, has no respect for Safin, and considers Ivanisevic boring to watch. He makes the same comments about these guys over and over. And you could have sworn there was only one player on the court during the Sampras-Safin match last week, with Drysdale and Captain Mac almost exclusively talking from the American perspective. ("Ooh, bad luck for Sampras... great shot by Pete!... this is an important point for Sampras...").

Rollo
Jan 29th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Maybe the blond tired Marat out. He has earned himself a playboy rep:p

Chris-if Drysdale doesn't warm to "tankers" than good for him. And I've got news for you-Safin and Rios have two of the WORST reputations for tanking on the ATP tour. Safin wasn't obviously tanking the final to my eyes, but he was so blatant Down Under in 2000 that he FINED for not trying. Thid was in a slam

the cat
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:33 PM
apoet29, it's always nice to have the voice of reason back me up!

Chris, you hit the nail right on the head about Cliff Drysdale!

tenn_ace, we agree to disagree. Safin, in my eyes, tried to come back against Johansson. He was down a break in the fourth set. But he didn't give up. And he got back on serve. Hingis threw in the towel in the third set. And admitted as much after the match. And Safin had an easy draw? What about Johansson's draw? Much easier than Marat's draw. And his SF was at night, and nearly 2 days before the mens final.

I think part of the reason Drysdale was upset with Safin, was because Drysdale thought Safin would be an easy winner. But I didn't think so. He said Safin "dogged" it in the second and third sets. Really? He was just outplayed by the better player on the day. Marat Safin has great potential. But he is not, and may never be a great tennis player. That remains to be seen.

Rollo, what are you bringing up Safin's 2000 Australian Open for? That had nothing to do with Johansson upsetting him. Did it? People need to stop trying to make Marat Safin be the next Pete Sampras. Or even the next great player. There are too many good players for one player to totally dominate men's tennis.

Kudos to Safin for being such a good sport after the match. He was friendly. And his speech was great! He had every reason to be pissed off. He just lost a tough grand slam final. And the crowd was for his opponent. Marat showed total class.

thefreedesigner
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:40 PM
For what it's worth, the problem that I had with Safin in that final is that he expected his usual game to be good enough to beat Johansson. Then when it wasn't he didn't want to try anything else, as if he didn't feel he had to.

Tank is too strong a word, but I was disappointed with Safin's approach, what with it being a Slam final and all.

ys
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:07 PM
No it wasn't his usual game. I mean, there are few indicators on which you can judge whether the player is really trying or not. One of them is volleys. Even the simplest volley still requires total concentration. And I haven't seen Marat volleying that atrociously since his match against Courier in 1998. He was was missing very simple ones. The other observation, the most technical players were not really successful at drop shots against Marat. For a player grown up on clay, playing against dropshots is bread and butter. And he is normally very good at reading dropshots and reaching them, but in this match he lost nearly all, perhaps dozen of points when Johansson dropshots were in, and he reached and had a good shots on quite a lot of them. Tells you something about his focus as well. Also, playing against Sampras he was connecting on even the best serves of Sampras. Here he was practically ignoring Johansson's serves to T.

Marat didn't want to make an effort. It was no show. As simple as that. And he deserved all bashing he got.

Aloysius
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:21 PM
There's a story behind the blondes in Marat's players box. It was said that he picked up six blonde women at a nightclub in Melbourne before the Australian Open. He then offered them tickets to sit in his players box for two weeks. Three were there for the final. Not sure what happened to the other three. They were probably rostered on at their brothel that day and couldn't make it. ;)

I would be very confused and maybe disappointed in him if he was canoodling with any of those girls. Isn't he dating Silvia Torrens (Cristina's sister)? Did they break up or something? He's acting like a guy on the rebound, and nothing like the ace he was in winning the 2000 US Open.

I'm as perplexed as the next guy about his "tiredness." Surely, he wouldn't jeopardize his Australian Open campaign by partying and doing God-knows-what at night, and then expect to front up during the day and beat everyone. His coaches DO allow him to drink as much as he likes, and to let out any emotions he feels like on court, but if they're allowing him to party before a final, they've got to be kidding. If he wasn't partying, and was really a "misunderstanding between him and his doctor," then I think Marat needs to sort out whatever physical problem he has quick-smart.

Rollo
Jan 29th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Rollo, what are you bringing up Safin's 2000 Australian Open for?

Tell you why, Cat, to show that Drysdale's jibs at Marin didn't come from nowhere. Go back and read my post, I didn't say he tanked the final. What I am saying is his past makes him fair game for questions on the subject,especially since it was at the same event.

BTW, I didn't hear Cliff tear into Marat when he played(and beat)Sampras in round 4. It was a great match and he was full of praise for both.

LOL@ that story Aloysius:)Male tennis players are followed around by girl groupies all the time. Few can resist temptation(listen to how shocked the announcers are that Hewitt and Clijsters have lasted without him playing the field.)They've been the death of Mark Phillipousis' tennis at times, but I'm sure he was having fun
:wavey:

essielewis
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Surely, he wouldn't jeopardize his Australian Open campaign by partying and doing God-knows-what at night, and then expect to front up during the day and beat everyone

Poor Marat is still very immature. I would not be at all surprised if he did party all night since he probably expected to just waltz away with the title against Johansson. I doubt he had any respect for Johansson. He probably felt he had already won the tournament after beating Sampras.:o That shows immaturity in my book.

As for Cliff Drysdale . . . he's not American (but he lives here). He's South African. I think he's just about the worse commentator in the history of commentating. I think ESPN should get rid of him but they probably have no idea who to replace him with. Surely not McEnroe:rolleyes:

Poor Cliffie is so in love with Sampras and Agassi that he is constantly getting their names mixed up. :eek: Cliffie was especially awful this tournament because, I think he was bored. None of his favorites made it to the final so he didn't bother to be objective.:fiery: