PDA

View Full Version : Australia V Colombia

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Stosur set for Fed Cup debut

Friday, 18 July, 2003

Nineteen-year-old Samantha Stosur (Gold Coast, Qld) will make her Fed Cup debut this weekend when the Optus Australian Fed Cup Team takes on Colombia in the World Group Qualifying Tie at WIN Entertainment Centre in Wollongong.

At today's official draw ceremony, Stosur was announced as Australia's No.2 singles player alongside Fed Cup stalwart, Alicia Molik. Molik was also confirmed to play the doubles rubber with five-time Grand Slam doubles champion Rennae Stubbs.

While this is Stosur's third inclusion in a Fed Cup Team, she is yet to step on court to play under Australian colours in Fed Cup and was clearly excited at the prospect of battling Colombian No.1 Fabiola Zuluaga in the first singles match on Saturday.

"I'm really happy to be playing this weekend," Stosur said. "You always dream about one day representing your country and now it's going to come true.

"I love playing in a team environment and all of the girls and Mark [Woodforde] and Evonne [Goolagong Cawley] have really helped me prepare for this Tie.

"I'm just going to go out there and do my best and hopefully secure my first Fed Cup victory."

Meanwhile after reaching a career-high ranking of 44 this week, Alicia Molik is wary of Zuluaga as a formidable opponent.

"Fabiola has a great all-round game with not many holes," Molik said. "You don't get to be No.38 in the world without being a very complete player.

"But we know what to expect and we'll have a game plan to give us the best possible chance of defeating Colombia."

Optus Australian Fed Cup Captain, Evonne Goolagong Cawley, is not underestimating Colombia but believes her side has what it takes to ensure Australia remains in the elite 16-nation World Group for next year's Fed Cup competition.

"All of the girls have practiced really well this week and both Mark and I have been really pleased with the effort they have put in to ensure a smooth preparation," Goolagong Cawley said.

"We all enjoy playing here at Wollongong and I think the atmosphere tomorrow is going to be fantastic."

Order of Play play starts at 11am both days Call 02 4220 2863 for score updates

Saturday 19 July:

Samantha Stosur (AUS) v Fabiola Zuluaga (COL) followed by
Alicia Molik (AUS) v Catalina Castano (COL)

Sunday 20 July:

Alicia Molik (AUS) v Fabiola Zuluaga (COL) followed by
Samantha Stosur (AUS) v Catalina Castano (COL)

Followed by the doubles:

Rennae Stubbs/Alicia Molik (AUS) v Fabiola Zuluaga/Catalina Castano (COL)

rusty_red_head
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Go Sam Stsour
Zuluaga first tough ask!!
I know you can do it
go out and win both matches!!!

azza
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:06 PM
I Knew sam would play instead of pratty :)

Aussie_Kim
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Good luck girls. I guess play would've started, wonder what the score is :confused:
*fingers crossed-hopes Australia wins*

TS
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Results are in for the first match

Fabiola Zuluaga (COL) def Samantha Stosur (AUS) 4-6 6-1 6-4.

An expected result. Great effort from Sam in her debut, but just not quite experienced enough...

It's a contoversial move to put her in place of Nicole, but I think at 19 it's time to blood her in. Who knows, Nicole may have not even have taken a set.

Hopefully Alicia can get things back on track by beating Castano.

SpikeyAidanm
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:44 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030719/capt.1058587788.australia_fed_cup_wol103.jpg

Bad luck Sam. :sad:

Now, come on Alicia! :bounce:

azza
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Alicia 7-6 :eek: 4-6 :eek: 6-2 :) GO MOLIK