PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 3

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Grrrrrrrr :mad: , I just lost a looong post about T3, which opened today in Australia. I went to see it this afternoon.

I have a lot of things to say about it, but I'll try again later. Anyone else got an opinion?

Good movie. But I had some problems with it. I'll leave it at that just now.

nasty nick#2
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Im a big fan of the serie and im going to watch it anytime soon, it will be fun but i don't have too big expectations, Arnold is not as good as he was + Edward Furlong is not in it. But it will be interesting to see it.

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Yeah. One of my problems is that the human characters just don't have any charisma.

Another is the way the timeline of T2 is retrospectively altered. In T2 we learn that John's date of birth was 28 Feb. 1985. That is consistent with T1 where we learn that the action is taking place in May 1984.....and John is conceived as part of the action, so he more or less *has* to be born in February 1985.

We are told in T2 that Judgment Day takes place on August 29, 1997, and that it is over three years away. So it can be no later than 1994, and John can be no older than 9. The script says he is 10, but he must be a (very precocious!!!) 9 year old. Ed Furlong was about 13, but he was a young looking 13 year old playing a very precocious kid.

Anyway, John is emphatically still a kid in T2, not a teenager.

Suddenly, we are told in T3....for quite unnecessary reasons....that John was much older in T2 than this time scale allows. As a purist, I hate this sort of fucking around with what has gone before. I don't know how much it bothers other people.

No more spoilers from me. :angel:

DunkMachine
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:03 AM
That's the biggest problem with time paradox' even writers get lost in all the bullcrap. Just look at Startrek.

SM
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:01 PM
kjust saw it. it rocked. im not a huge fan of the series so i dont know if it was inconsistent with them 100% over such superficial things as joui pointed out ;)

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:19 PM
kjust saw it. it rocked. im not a huge fan of the series so i dont know if it was inconsistent with them 100% over such superficial things as joui pointed out ;)

lol for me those things are not superficial; they are at the heart of the overall story arc and how we understand John's character in T2. But maybe you have to be a big fan of Terminator as a whole series, or a whole franchise, to care. (As I certainly am. ;) )

I'll say this in favour of T3 though....as I said to someone in chat earlier: it is the best part of two hours long, but it only seemed like an hour to me. It is that fast and tight. :eek: Whether it lives up to its predecessors, or interacts with them quite as I'd have liked, it is a good movie in its own right.

Miss Thang
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Chile I seen it and it wasn't even that deep for me. They may wanna try to make it like it deep but when peeps think of Terminator it all 'bout the action and Arnold. :cool: