PDA

View Full Version : Cathy Freeman retires

Lisbeth
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Catherine Freeman has retired. For any non-Aussies who may not know of Cathy, she won the gold medal in the 400m track event at the Sydney Olympics and the silver in Atlanta, amongst many world titles. She is a great woman who is proud to be both Aboriginal and Australian and never let anyone boss her round on either account - despite her sweet, natural personality.

I remember seeing her interviewed as a 16 year old. She was asked why she took up running and explained that her mother had told her she was the luckiest girl in the world because she had two good legs and should use them - it turned out she had a sister who had cerebral palsy and was thankful every day that she could walk let alone run.

A nice article about her career and the place she hold in the national heart of Australia is here:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/07/16/1058035071105.html

I hope she lives a long time and finds much happiness!

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Yeah, she seems like such a sweetie....she is much-loved here. She's also a beautiful and courageous athlete, and so modest. I still remember her "you'd think I won the bloody race" comment at the 1996 Olympics. :D She'll be much missed. Good luck to her in the future.

gentenaire
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Cathy Freeman is well known over here as well. She was kind of hard to miss in the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony ;)

Nikki
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:17 AM
She was a great Athlete. Sad to see her go:sad:

Lisbeth
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Yes I'd forgotten about the opening - though it's beyind me why they tried to drown and then freeze her to death a week before the big race!

Colin B
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:19 AM
I read about this in yesterday's paper. Two things surprised me;
1) she turned thirty last February, which made me feel really old.
2) She had a career win/loss record of 46/1 over 400m! And that one loss was due to injury.

She will be missed in Britain where she often spent the (northern hemisphere) summer and most of the run-up to the 2000 Olympics, partly to get away from the pressure she felt as a mega-star back in Australia.

Benny
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:02 AM
I was sad when I heard about this news, but I think Cathy has had a furfilling career and I am glad she got gold in sydney.
I wish her the best for the future.

Experimentee
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Wow i didnt know that. I thought she was young! I wish her the best for the future. I remember once she got into trouble for waving the Aboriginal flag, it is good that she is proud of her people and doesnt care about showing it!

Kuti Kis&Monica
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:31 PM
2) She had a career win/loss record of 46/1 over 400m! And that one loss was due to injury.

Sorry, but when she lost to Mary Jose Perec in the final of 1996, she wasn't injured at all. MJ was just better. :)
But Cathy was a great champion :worship: even if MJ was better than her.

Colin B
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Yep, you're right. The 46/1 record was between her '96 Olympic second place and her fifth place in Eugene, Oregon on May 24 2003. Still pretty good going eh?

Kuti Kis&Monica
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Yeah, impressive for sure :worship:

TartarVicario
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:17 PM
I will miss U , Cathy :sad: :wavey:

heidi2
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:16 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
IT'S REALLY SAD NEWS ! :sad: :sad:
Cathy,one of the greatest athlete's ever for me ! :hearts:
Cathy, 1 of the GREAT'S EVER ! :hearts:
Olympic Games 2000, the 400m Woman's FINAL,is the greatest show on earth !
I will sadly miss seeing Cathy on the track ! :sad: :sad: :sad:
I hope to meet Cathy one day ! :worship:

heidi2
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:38 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

I will miss you CATHY ! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Here is the winning photo,I'll never forget ! :worship:

http://www.cathyfreeman.com.au/files/0K6FP5MRUK/07131674.jpg