PDA

View Full Version : Top 500 World Universities

bull
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Check the following link to see where does your university rank in the world. Post your university name and its rank.

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

bull
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Here is the top 50 in the world.

1 Harvard Univ USA
2 Stanford Univ USA
3 California Inst Tech USA
4 Univ California - Berkeley USA
5 Univ Cambridge UK
6 Massachusetts Inst Tech USA
7 Princeton Univ USA
8 Yale Univ USA
9 Univ Oxford UK
10 Columbia Univ USA
11 Univ Chicago USA
12 Cornell Univ USA
13 Univ California - San Francisco USA
14 Univ California - San Diego USA
15 Univ California - Los Angeles USA
16 Univ Washington - Seattle USA
17 Imperial Coll Sci Tech Med UK
18 Univ Pennsylvania USA
19 Tokyo Univ Japan
20 Univ Coll London UK
21 Univ Michigan - Ann Arbor USA
22 Washington Univ - St. Louis USA
23 Univ Toronto Canada
24 Johns Hopkins Univ USA
25 Swiss Fed Inst Tech - Zurich Switzerland
26 Univ California - Santa Barbara USA
27 Univ Wisconsin - Madison USA
28 Rockefeller Univ USA
29 Northwestern Univ USA
30 Kyoto Univ Japan
31 Univ Colorado - Boulder USA
32 Vanderbilt Univ USA
32 Duke Univ USA
34 Univ Texas Southwestern Med Center USA
35 Univ British Columbia Canada
36 Univ California - Davis USA
37 Univ Minnesota - Twin Cities USA
38 Rutgers State Univ - New Brunswick USA
39 Karolinska Inst Stockholm Sweden
40 Pennsylvania State Univ - Univ Park USA
40 Univ Utrecht Netherland
40 Univ Southern California USA
43 Univ Edinburgh UK
44 Univ California - Irvine USA
45 Univ Illinois - Urbana Champaign USA
45 Univ Zurich Switzerland
47 Univ Texas - Austin USA
48 Univ Munich Germany
49 Brown Univ USA
49 Australian Natl Univ Australia

Sam L
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:56 AM
I can't speak for other countries but this list is DEFINITELY wrong for Australia. Firstly, ANU is NOT Australia's top university by any standards. Secondly, UNSW (my university) is nowhere to be seen in the top 500, whereas another university Macquarie? :eek:

Either they have it wrong or they've left UNSW out.

bull
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:05 AM
I can't speak for other countries but this list is DEFINITELY wrong for Australia. Firstly, ANU is NOT Australia's top university by any standards. Secondly, UNSW (my university) is nowhere to be seen in the top 500, whereas another university Macquarie? :eek:

Univ New South Wales Australia
Asian/Pacific Universities rank:18-22 World Rank: 152-200

decemberlove
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:08 AM
how did they determine the ranks?

i mean... rutgers???

bull
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:12 AM
how did they determine the ranks?

i mean... rutgers???

check out the Ranking Methodology using the link.
and Rutgers is pretty decent school, I mean, depending on the research performance.

decemberlove
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:19 AM
check out the Ranking Methodology using the link.
and Rutgers is pretty decent school, I mean, depending on the research performance.

ah ok, thanks

i was just surpised to see it up there with all those names. i was thinking they did the ranking differently. hmm... maybe i should go there instead of NJIT...

but go american colleges :)

King Satan
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:21 AM
do they have the university?

bull
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:23 AM
ah ok, thanks

i was just surpised to see it up there with all those names. i was thinking they did the ranking differently. hmm... maybe i should go there instead of NJIT...

for the undergrad, rutgers is a little better than NJIT. but graduate level rutgers is definitely superior.

decemberlove
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:28 AM
for the undergrad, rutgers is a little better than NJIT. but graduate level rutgers is definitely superior.

well i was originally going for architecture, which only princeton and njit offer in NJ, i believe

but princeton is far too expensive for my blood :)

plus i never cared for the NB campus of rutgers. i just cant stand some of the people there

King Satan
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:33 AM
I go to the best university! have you guys heard of the University of the United States?

Ashie_87
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:33 AM

i reckon! UNSW, Sydney Uni and UTS have been overlooked as far as good uni's go! my sister went to Sydney Uni and my brother went to UTS-they are both great...i didnt see them in the list :eek: :confused:

bull
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:34 AM
well i was originally going for architecture, which only princeton and njit offer in NJ, i believe

but princeton is far too expensive for my blood :)

plus i never cared for the NB campus of rutgers. i just cant stand some of the people there

i visited the new brunswick campus once. it looks nice and almost people there are friendly. and i am not sure about the architecture program in both school.

Kuilli
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Uni of Washington is #16 according to their ranking methodology. Accurate or not, I'll take it. ;)

antonella
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:41 AM
LOL..

You could also rank them by research funding..

UC San Diego ranks higher than Tokyo University?? UCSD is a nerdy pre-med school

CalTech higher than MIT?? No way!!!!

UCSF higher than Johns Hopkins??? UCSF is strictly a medical school with JH (also a full university) having a better reputation

UC Berkeley higher than Cambridge or Oxford?? Maybe in science/engineering, for anything else CAL is substandard, I should know...

Sam L
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM
i reckon! UNSW, Sydney Uni and UTS have been overlooked as far as good uni's go! my sister went to Sydney Uni and my brother went to UTS-they are both great...i didnt see them in the list :eek: :confused:
Yeah but the thing that I found unbelievable was ANU at #1. I'm sorry but if you think ANU is #1 in Austrlia, you're not from Australia. :eek:

Ashie_87
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Yeah but the thing that I found unbelievable was ANU at #1. I'm sorry but if you think ANU is #1 in Austrlia, you're not from Australia. :eek:
methinks it was someone not from Australia that did this list :p ...

bello
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:06 AM
I wanna see it but my computer doesnt allow it for sme reason...!!! pls post the rest..!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!! :)

per4ever
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:27 AM
it's bullshit imo :o Belgian universities are well known for their high level and the first belgian university is only 99th :rolleyes:

King Satan
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:35 AM
it's bullshit imo :o Belgian universities are well known for their high level and the first belgian university is only 99th :rolleyes:
if that school was so good, all you belgians wouldn't post here all day :p don't they teach you guys to stay away from here? :rolleyes: lol

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Actually, measured in terms of research performance ANU is far and away the best university in Australia. It gets there because a large component of ANU is the incredibly high-performing Institute of Advanced Studies.

People don't usually think of ANU as # 1 here because they are thinking more of the prestigious undergraduate medical and law schools at Melbourne and Sydney, and some of the very highly-rated and high-profile faculties/departments/progams at UNSW and Monash. None of this, however, can compete in sheer academic terms with the largely-invisible (to the public) Institute of Advanced Studies.

Btw I am a graduate of Melbourne's Law School and have taught at Monash, so I have no bias toward ANU.

rand
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Belgian universities have a very high level of education, but then when it comes to research mostly good belgian researchers get bought by rich american universities (the vub has a few mathematicians at the MIT for example....) which probably explains the low rankings..... :)

gentenaire
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Belgian universities have a very high level of education, but then when it comes to research mostly good belgian researchers get bought by rich american universities (the vub has a few mathematicians at the MIT for example....) which probably explains the low rankings..... :)

Exactly! These rankings are purely based on research, not education.

Colin B
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:00 AM
So Ox-bridge both make the top ten, as you would expect. But who's ever heard of (No.17), Imperial Coll Sci Tech Med? I thought I had, at least, heard of all our Unis but that's a new one to me. It must be, as Jouissant says, 'invisible to the public'

controlfreak
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Don't worry Colin, if you haven't heard of Imperial College you probably won't ever need to go there :p

Colin B
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Don't worry Colin, if you haven't heard of Imperial College you probably won't ever need to go there :p

No, I was at UMIST which probably wouldn't make the top 5000 :rolleyes: . So Ms. Smartypants, where is Imperial Coll Sci Tech Med?

per4ever
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Exactly! These rankings are purely based on research, not education.
but when we see rankings like this one..we think about educationlevel.
A professor told me last year that the educationlevel in the States is a lot lower then here... aren't there any ratings based on education?

rand
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
well...obviously if a united states based organisation produces such a ranking the ratings will obviously not be based on education..... :)
(because if they were any good they wouldn't have to buy off researchers from around the world to keep their level) :)

gentenaire
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
What I've been told, K, is that the level of bachelor degrees is much lower, but that Masters and PhD at those Unis are excellent. There's a reason why those unis score so well on the research level. Unfortunately, not enough students go for a Masters.

rand
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:16 PM
but then again this one was chinese.....maybe it's just meant to know for young chinese graduates where they'd best go :?

rand
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:18 PM
What I've been told, K, is that the level of bachelor degrees is much lower, but that Masters and PhD at those Unis are excellent. There's a reason why those unis score so well on the research level. Unfortunately, not enough students go for a Masters.
as I've been told it's true ...partly....the point not being that not enough people choose for research, but that the professors tend to find the level of thebachelors too low, so they prefer getting people from outside the us (in mathematics it is like that....don't know about other fields of course....)

Colin B
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:22 PM
So Ms. Smartypants, where is Imperial Coll Sci Tech Med?

:o Sorry ControlFreak, just read your comment in the masturbation thread. It seems that should read " So Mr cleverdick......." :o

splat
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Ok guys, relax, this is definitely not a ranking about the quality of the University, despite what it may call itself.

First off, the methodology is superficial. They are evaluating ONLY the laurels received by the professors in a very elitist and snobby manner and basing it only on publishings/awards won. A professor could be an excellent teacher but because they didn't win a Nobel Prize (self-proclaimed as the most prestigious award in the world) they would automatically lose 20%.

Second the universities are not evaluated on quality of facilities, endowments, happiness of students, academic rigor, etc.

Third, I think that the way they are marking (faculty awards) is very United States-biased. Just comparing the USA and Canada (because they are the only two systems I feel qualified to comment on), the US has private institutions with benefactors to provide the salaries needed to attract the Nobel Prize winners. In Canada we believe (not necessarily correctly) that post-secondary education should be available and publicly funded. Not free, but affordable and not costing $30 000USD/year to attend. Canada also does not have the population to sustain a University that would have enough money to pay the salaries of these esteemed professors. Especially not when our neighbours to the south are able to pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars. But our Universities are great. They (at least mine, Queen's, ranked 152-200) are smaller, more intimate, and have excellent professors who are learned, and published.

I have to agree with the people from Australia. In Canada we have a magazine who ranks the Canadian schools every year and that list does not even remotely reflect the list by this company.

Fantastic
Jul 17th, 2003, 01:59 PM
There will never be a defnitive list of the BEST universities in the world. It's just not possible to say for certain that one is better than another. The school can bring in the best lecturers and industry professionals in the world, but it's ultimately up to the constituents of students on what they do with the knowledge being imparted on them. And you certainly can't rank people like that because everyone has a reason for doing what they do with their lives.

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM
pfff at #1/2/4...is this a ranking on how liberal they are or how 'good'...and 4 Cal schools ahead of UCLA :lol:

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:11 PM
errr where is Hillsdale?

shap_half
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Even though Rutgers is a good school (a school that I turned down because it wasn't good enough for me :)), I find the list and ranking pretty absurd seeing as how some colleges are even further down the list which are better than Rutgers by all standards like Brandeis and the College of William and Mary.

Ting
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:43 PM
No, I was at UMIST which probably wouldn't make the top 5000 :rolleyes: . So Ms. Smartypants, where is Imperial Coll Sci Tech Med?
In London??

A4
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:59 PM
This is probably the most ridiculous, subjective ranking I've seen in my entire life. Berkely ahead of Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell? I'm not very much qualified to comment on Oxford and Cambridge, but I'd rather go there any day of the week and twice on Sundays, than to go to any of the UC schools. How on earth does UC Santa Barbara make it ahead of Duke, Northwestern and Brown? Ranking schools are stupid, but this has to be the most stupid of all.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:04 PM
:sad:

My school is ranked #307 in the world - Clemson University

Experimentee
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:57 PM
I guess this must be only based on research, thats why the American universities are so high up.
I agree about the Australian universities, ANU probably would not be considered the best in this country!

Experimentee
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Mine is ranked 92 and 7 in Asia/Pacific. I guess that is good.

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:22 PM
This is probably the most ridiculous, subjective ranking I've seen in my entire life

almost as ridiculous as that study posted as research regarding prostate health :rolleyes:

Nicoleke
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:04 PM
My favourite, is number 2, Stanford :),

Where is the first french university on the list ? lol :p

Nicoleke
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:08 PM
65 th first french university, Paris 06 .....

Nicoleke
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Anyway, that' s a " stupid " ranking lol ;) !!!!!

Tennisace
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:29 PM
mine ranked #4. cool.

OMG, hey! We go to the same school :D You're the first person from the board that I know goes to Berzerkeley :D

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:55 PM
OMG, hey! We go to the same school :D You're the first person from the board that I know goes to Berzerkeley :D

noticed the past-tenced ranked...she went there not there now...i believed she was expelled:p

nasty nick#2
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:42 PM
If i were american i would have been at Harvard :p

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:48 PM
If i were american i would have been at Harvard :p

errr they don't give out athletic scholarships at Harvard :p

decemberlove
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:49 PM
yeah, in fact, prolly being from a diff country would help you get into harvard.

id never want to go to harvard. i dont like that area of massachusetts

shap_half
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:53 PM
They don't list Fordham University there. It is where I will be going for college starting the fall. And seeing as how I'm somewhat an elitist, I should be upset, but I'm not because I love the Fordham atmosphere.

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:56 PM
They don't list Fordham University there. It is where I will be going for college starting the fall. And seeing as how I'm somewhat an elitist, I should be upset, but I'm not because I love the Fordham atmosphere.

ahhh elitism...a lost wonder in the educational field

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:58 PM
yeah, in fact, prolly being from a diff country would help you get into harvard.

id never want to go to harvard. i dont like that area of massachusetts

he he with your spelling you couldn't get in :devil:

decemberlove
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:01 PM
he he with your spelling you couldn't get in :devil:

i dont see any spelling mistakes

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:04 PM
i dont see any spelling mistakes

what about capitalization?:p

decemberlove
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:09 PM
what about capitalization?:p

that doesnt count :p

this isnt english class

im actually very anal when it comes to spelling.

BUT you're right, i could never get into harvard. i had too much fun in the last two years of high school and i never took my SATs. couldnt afford it either and i hate stuck-up elitist bitches.

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:10 PM
and i hate stuck-up elitist bitches.

what about the snobbish wimpy men?

decemberlove
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:13 PM
what about the snobbish wimpy men?

lol, they fall under the category of stuck-up elitist bitches too :p

i can deal with a lil pussy boy, its the "i think im better than you cos my mommy and daddy gave me everything" attitude that i cant deal with

lakeway11
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:18 PM
l can deal with a lil pussy boy, its the "i think im better than you cos my mommy and daddy gave me everything" attitude that i cant deal with

good girl :)

Tennisace
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:27 PM
oy! another berzerker, huh? lol...actually, ace, berzerkeley's where i did my graduate work. and i was done with that awhile ago so i'm alumni, but no longer a student. what are you majoring in?

I'm majoring in Environmental Sciences with a Social Science emphasis and minoring in LGBT Studies :D What did you study for grad?

Kart
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Imperial Coll Sci Tech Med no.17.

Not that it deserves it.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Univerisity of Oslo:

Europe: 15
World: 63

oohh... i know ppl at some of the high ranked Uni's around the world... :angel:

is china-tw Taiwan?? lol my cousin attends the highest ranked uni in taiwan... hm... i wanna be academically smart too! :p

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:54 PM
ooh speaking of harvard.... a friends of mine met a bunch of the graduates at Harvard Law earlier this year in thailand + vietnam... and she has tons of crazy pics of them... nude ones included :devil:

fried_beans
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Simon Fraser University is named after me! vamos

nasty nick#2
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:18 PM
you don't need to be an american to attend harvard. :p

It would have been easier if i were living there though :p

CC
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:19 PM
ah ok, thanks

Yes, come to Rutgers. There would be at least one person you couldn't help liking. ;)

propi
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:47 PM
:lol: @ that ranking!!!

heninrules
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:03 AM

It is in London in south kensington. it is the number three uni in the uk. i went there in february for my admission interview but i didn't really like it there so i declined their offer when i had to make my decision on which university offer i was going to accept.

A4
Jul 18th, 2003, 02:09 AM
hey a4...i agree with you. however, i think it has a lot to do with research as tine says. if it doesn't, then i would say this ranking systems sucks.

At long last, something we can agree on. And with the exception of Princeton, most of the other schools are known more for their research. Which just doesn't make sense why Santa Barbara should be ahead of Duke, Dartmouth etc. Not to mention the rest of the world. Suspect this ranking must be by some geek who lived and schooled in CA.

BTW, didn't mean to come down so hard on Berkely........

alexusjonesfan
Jul 18th, 2003, 02:13 AM
well, according to that list, I go to the 23rd best school in the world and apparently the best in Canada :eek:

JaneAgain
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:27 AM
A rather usless ranking. The majority of large reserch universities are notoriously poor when it comes to undergraduate classes. The eminent professors are too occupied with other matters to actually teach an undergraduate class. That is left up to graduate students. Also, the best university for one field of study is not necessarily the best for another. I would not, for instance, choose Harvard for marine biology or veterinary science.

There are some real gems left off this list like Cooper Union and many more.

Kirt12255
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:41 AM

:wavey: Yes I don't get that either....I would have thought Monash would be on the list. ANU? give me a break LOL :wavey:

Cassius
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:59 AM
One of the 2 I'm planning to go to is in the Top 100 European Unis; Mancesther Uni.
Liverpool John Moors though, is nowhere to be seen:o:banghead::scratch: