PDA

View Full Version : OK, I finally decided on my TOP FAVES...

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Hands down:
Venus Williams and Serena Williams: loves them equally. I have been a fan of tennis for a very long time. Loved a lot of players but never before have two black players been so dominant. A lot of people say that it is because they are black. Well, that is partially true. If all of a sudden some British player start winning matches and is a top contender for female number one then most tennis fans in the UK would lose there minds because it is rare. I would never say well, I love Michael Jordan because he is black and doing well in Basketball. There are hundreds of black men doing well in basketball. I like Keith Van Horn and Jason Williams in part because they are top white basketball players who are excelling playing a position that is dominated by black men. DO YOU GET ME? It is important to understand that first and foremost I love the game of tennis and would not stop watching and following the tourneys if my top two faves stop playing.

Alex Stevenson: See Venus and Serena. Also, Alex has so much potential and I want her to realize them all.

Monica Seles: She is MONICA SELES, enough said. Besides, she is a part of the fearless foursome. GO MONI.

Chanda Rubin: She is a little different from Venus and Serena. I just like her. Get back on your game girl.

Sandrine testude: She was Chanda's doubles partner. Love her but she drives me crazy when she plays. Loses so many matches that she should have won.

Del Los Rios: Loves her story.

Iroda: She idolizes my top two faves (well, she admires their game):o

Anna K: I like her. I just want her to win a tourney so that people who does not follow tennis can see that she does have a solid game and IS ACTUALLY A TENNIS PLAYER. Not just T&A.

I am not a fan of Hingis, but I really wanted her to beat Jenn. I feel for her. I think back to the dominant Martina and know that she would not have lost that match 3 years ago.

MOST HATED:

JENN CAP: What a foul mouthed piece of trash. And to think that last year during the OZ I was so happy that she won. What a difference a year make. Proves you can take the girl out the slum but you cant take the slum out the girl. She is disgusting.

mn73
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:39 PM
And you equal your description of JC by what you wrote about her. Hypocrite.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:48 PM
LOL@Mark

Scotso
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:08 AM
It's "Testud," moron.

Oizo
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:14 AM
LOL@Scotso!!! You are so right. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Crazy Canuck
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:19 AM
If only you had left out the trash about Jenn, that'd have been a beautiful post.

It seems that some people have a great deal of difficulty separating the "player" from the "person".

People can act obnoxious on court, but apparently in real life are nothing of the sort - for example apparently Lleyton Hewitt is a quiet, mild mannered you man. You wouldn't think so if you simply judged from his behavior.

Jenn can be an obnoxious screamer on court - I'm not going to deny that. But have you ever taken a second to read some of the stuff she does for people off of the court? The woman is quite selfless and has a lot of heart.

I just wish people could say they hate a players on court antics, without bashing that player as an individual.

Jordan.
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:25 AM
UGH!!!!NEVER CALL PLAYERS NAMES!!!!

Meesh
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:27 AM
ditto on what Becca and Jordan said... you had me hooked until the Jennifer comments. :confused:

angele87
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Hands down, my fave is Kim Clijsters!! First of all, she's an awesome player and I don't think anybody can argue with that. And plus she seems to be the sweetest girl on tour. Second would be a tie between Venus and Serena. After both of those would be Justine, Martina, Daniela and a bunch of other players that I enjoy. I agree with Freethinker82, most hated definetly Jennifer Capriati. And it's not just because of her on court antics because like somebody said, Lleyton is like that too and i'm a big fan of his. But for Jen, I dunno, I just can't stand the girl. I guess it's not really her fault but i hate to hear anybody praise somebody for kicking drugs... I know it's hard and stuff but how about about saying congrats Kim, Venus, Serena, Justine etc... for being such good people and never taking drugs instead of Congrats Jen, you kicked drugs... i dunno, that just really pisses me off... and y'all can insult for not liking jennifer i don't really care!

Linton
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:32 AM
All of yous act like babies. god the guy was only giving his view, then suddenely u all come and trash him calling him a hypocrite. and who cares if he spelt testud wrong!! god are we all gay and perfectionists here?? as long as u know what he meant and he knoes what he meant there is no reason to start being immaure about it. if u havnt got n e thing nice to say then u shouldnt say n e thing at all!

apoet29
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by angele87
Hands down, my fave is Kim Clijsters!! First of all, she's an awesome player and I don't think anybody can argue with that. And plus she seems to be the sweetest girl on tour. Second would be a tie between Venus and Serena. After both of those would be Justine, Martina, Daniela and a bunch of other players that I enjoy. I agree with Freethinker82, most hated definetly Jennifer Capriati. And it's not just because of her on court antics because like somebody said, Lleyton is like that too and i'm a big fan of his. But for Jen, I dunno, I just can't stand the girl. I guess it's not really her fault but i hate to hear anybody praise somebody for kicking drugs... I know it's hard and stuff but how about about saying congrats Kim, Venus, Serena, Justine etc... for being such good people and never taking drugs instead of Congrats Jen, you kicked drugs... i dunno, that just really pisses me off... and y'all can insult for not liking jennifer i don't really care!

You have a great post here Angele87 and you are certainly entitled to your opinion about Capriati. However, I think you need to give her more credit. Yes, she should not have gotten involved with drugs, but it happens to the best of people. She deserves praise for getting off drugs and turning her life around to become a champion tennis player. That is not an easy thing to do.

Yes, the other players you listed never took drugs, but everyone makes choices in life and some people make the wrong choices. You shouldn't condemn a person simply because of a wrong choice, but praise them for making the right choice to clean up their lives.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:16 AM
"god are we all gay and perfectionists here??"

Um - what does ones sexuality have anything to do with this? I think you just made your own ignorance VERY clear with that statement :rolleyes:

"as long as u know what he meant and he knoes what he meant there is no reason to start being immaure about it."

Ironic to call us immature, for commenting on another immaturity.

"if u havnt got n e thing nice to say then u shouldnt say n e thing at all!"

Once again - how ironic that you comment that we have nothing nice to say - yet your sticking up for a poster who just topped off a decent post with absolute filth.

Speaks volumes for the type of character you are - a type that I pity.

Linton
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Lol get over it becca. My topic came down to this, every time someone makes a post its meant to be for a purpose, then u get people coming here, and a have a wide arrange of different comments, a thread meant to be for cheering or discussing the topic, not a place to argue about ones opinion i really pity u sore luza

angele87
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by apoet29

You have a great post here Angele87 and you are certainly entitled to your opinion about Capriati. However, I think you need to give her more credit. Yes, she should not have gotten involved with drugs, but it happens to the best of people. She deserves praise for getting off drugs and turning her life around to become a champion tennis player. That is not an easy thing to do.

Yes, the other players you listed never took drugs, but everyone makes choices in life and some people make the wrong choices. You shouldn't condemn a person simply because of a wrong choice, but praise them for making the right choice to clean up their lives.

Thanks apoet29 for respecting my opinion... most people attack me when i say i don't like Jen lol... yeah i know turning your life around like Jen did is really a remarkable accomplishment it's just that i don't think she needs to be to made out as being better than the rest of the players on tour. Also I think since i haven't been watching tennis for too long so i wasn't watching when Jen first was on tour and when her life started to get bad so i can't really appreciate what Jen has done... i know i shouldn't dislike her (dislike is a better word that hate cuz i dont really hate her) just for that but you know when you don't really like somebody you just can't shake that feeling!!

Crazy Canuck
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:40 AM
"a thread meant to be for cheering "

Linton - seeing as you read the initial post and saw this as a cheering thread, its clear that your reading skills are on par with your writing skills.

Good to know.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:48 AM
LOL@all of you. You people dont have anything better to do.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Acutally I should be doing my chemistry. So in essense, I do have something better to do - I just procrastinate by doing useless things.

You also clearly have nothing better to do.

Do I smell hypocrit?

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:01 AM
lol@BECCA with your 1035 post. YOU GO GIRL, you lean mean posting machine you.:sad:

Bright Red
Jan 29th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Jennifer Capriati's behavior can not and should not be defended. She acted in a deplorable manner during the final of the AO 2002. The heat is no excuse--especially given how many other players played out there and kept a "cool" head. I would be very offended if I happened to have been so unfortunate as to have been seated within earshot of her with my small impressionable child. What a crass and totally tasteless display of bad manners!

Congratulations to her for winning, but she almost makes me not want to watch her anymore. She may not deserve to be punished because of her behavior, but she certainly does not deserve to be defended. Would someone please pass her a soap sandwich.

Linton
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:14 PM
I really thought she might get suspended or penaloized, but it looks like they had a soft-cock umpire who lets people get away with n e thing!!

Crazy Canuck
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Bright Red - I personally was not defending Jenns actions. If you'd read my post again, you'd notice that instead I suggested that it made little sense to insult her as a person, simply cause she can be rude on court.

Many people act like flat out jackasses when in high pressure, competitive situations - but that doesn't make them "disgusting".

You just outlined in your post your dislike for Jenns behavior - but you did it with a come tact.

Freethinker just ruined a perfect legitimate topic by filling it with trash talk. What he said, had no tact.

Sam L
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Something to think about people:

Imagine if Venus, Serena or Martina acted like what Capriati did in that final. The whole tennis world will be crying out for their blood. Especially if it was Venus and Serena. Can you imagine it? :rolleyes:

Take note at what happened at Roland Garros 99. Martina was actually right about the line calls there :rolleyes: Take note at what happened at Indian Wells 01. I mean come on...

I think Jennifer Capriati gets away with waaaaaay too much. And it's all because of the inspirational "comeback kid" Cinderella story. Come on! how much is she going to get away with?

TeeRexx
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Becca - Pressure brings out the real personality and truth of character in an individual. That is why in the militarttroops are put in pressure situations in training inorder to assess their possible performance in a combat situation.

If you have ever played tennis, you will noticce that it will really bring out a person's real character. From forgetting the score in their favor to calling good shots out to making fair calls on the score and on close ball calls.

No matter how much pressure one is under, he/she should still maintain their humanity and social skills. It was a cowardly act of rudness. I doubt that Jenn would curse out a stranger on a NY subway for fear of getting the living daylights kicked out of her.

Capriati is a great tennis player, but I do not believe her actions reflect those of a mature woman whom one would want to have as a close long term associate unless they are in a biker gang.

anton
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:53 PM
My favorite of all time is Steffi Graf. When she beat Hingis at the French Open and started crying, I almost cried with her. Hingis and her mother had been so nasty to Steffi that it was just perfect that day there in Paris. I wish I was there.
Graf was just almost perfect with the forehand, the serve, the legs, the slice backhand, the eyes and the hair. Also to win a Grand Slam (1988) is just amazing, something that will never be repeated probably. Were it not for her dad and her injuries, she would have won even more like a second Grand Slam in 1989.

Venus is my second fav because of her serve, backhand and athleticism that is mindblowing. Plus you never know what is going to happen. She wins and loses unlike Steffi who was win, win, win. I feel sorry for her though because like Steffi, Venus is injury prone and to make it even worse, people dont believe her when she says she is injured.

Men: Boris' dive volley was my fav shot. I like Jan Michael Gambill and Monica Seles also bc they played 2 handed like me. Monica is not doing her best presently however which is tought to see. She needs to go to a fitness shutin or something for 2 or 3 weeks and just run and lose weight and tone up. Looking at Monica now and Monica in 1990 is a bit painful to see. You can't be a step slow and be 2 handed. Players will make you let go with one hand with wide shots.

Halardfan
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:10 PM
I agree that Jennifer is a great player Teex Rexx. Well done for that. :p

As for everything else, some people have lost all sense of perspective. Maybe they are all amish or something. Gentle souls who have never heard such language.

I guess when their at the movies and someone swears in the film, they storm out in protest, and write a lengthy letter to the manager.

The notion that no one has said anything about Jennifer's behaviour is bizarre.

Dozens of people on the board have gone into a hissy fit over it.

She still won the title though. :)

:p

And thats what some people REALLY don't like. :)

TeeRexx
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:21 PM
The fact that Capriati won the title is not the issue, as I have previously stated. My fav players have won and lost before and will continue to do so.

Cursing in a film that is done by actors as directed by the director is not even close to being the same as as supposedly highly regarded female athlete cursing at an official during an international television broadcast.

This activity of Capriati's is not an anomaly, but is getting to be a regular occurance and it will happen a couple of more times again this year unless Capriati can utilize some anger management on her own or with the assistance of outside professional help.

We are supposed to be civilized, tennis is a civilized sport, so the least we can ask is for the athletes to be civilized, at least while on the court.

GogoGirl
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Tee Rexx, I agree with you. Cliff & Pam wanted to crack on Cappy but thought better of it. Cliff did mention that she probably would get a warning, but then he let it go. Pam said absolutey nothing, and that is not like her. I think the two of them were floored with what they were hearing. Cap was just as coarse as one can get in those three moments she went on a tirade.

The measuring stick to use will always be "How other female tennis players act." Have we ever seen anyone else act like that? No we haven't, and I hope we never will. I hope Jen cleans up her act, but if she doesn't, she will end up blowing up on the court, and hopefully it won't be a match where Venus is her opponent. I think it strange that her father or mother hasn't told her to cut it out. Let's forget the "ladylike" comparison as far as Jen is concerned and go with, she appears to be just plain rude and sickening to actually feel the need to act/react in such a manner. We all know the tourny officials would have alerted the security guards if Venus had of went off in the fashion Jen did. And Venus would have been penalized a point for it.

Okay, let's move pass the fact that Jen was not penalized at the first grand slam of the year. I bet your bippy, she will be penalized in the future if she feels she needs to act in such a manner. And that is as it should be. All players should be penalized and/or fined for such outlandish and unjustified behaviour. I would venture to guess that that poor chair umpire had never been so verbally abused. How about that stare down Jen gave Venus at the US Open. That was another uncalled for action/reaction. And guess who blinked?

I for one would never pull for Jen to win anything, because she thinks "Thou stuff doesn't and never has stunk." Another misconception on her part. She deserves her win because she was the fittest of the fittest in that final, but she does not deserve a free pass to act like the lower back part of her anatomy.

FP
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:38 AM
WOW well said GogoGirl I have nothing to add

Chris Ba just imagine if everybody will use these words do u really think that it's ok ARE U MIND???

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Yes Gogo, I remember the "stare-down". It was quite funny to me that Jen was the first one to turn her head. I guess she started thinking about the possible concequences of edging on a Venus Williams. Hehehe. Although I dislike Jen's attitude on court, I think she's a great player, and I found myself cheering for her to come back in the final. I was suprised myself. Anyone who has competed in anything, can surely empathize with Jen in the AO finals. Martina wasn't actually Miss Perfection herself. She slammed and threw a few rackets too. The conditions for competition were inhuman, and the level of play and battle of wills was tremendous. That's enough to make a priest say some pretty unholy things. Another thing is that we can't compare any two people. Everyone has a different personality. What ticks one person off horribly, may be hilarious to another. I'm not condoning Jen's behavior in any way, but I expect this from her pretty much everytime she plays now. Plus, the extreme conditions were a huge factor, and that's understandable to me.

Adrian
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Oh good, I'm glad the moral majority in this thread (:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) feel it is perfectly ok so state your favorites and trash your non-favorites all in the same breathe. If I do it will you be there to defend and pat me on the back too?

angele87
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:53 AM
I was really really upset that Jennifer didn't get a warning because of her language. It makes it seem like the tour has her on a little pedastal, like they're scared to upset her. A lot of the stars really get better treatment from the officials than other players. I'll take two examples from the AO: When Marat Safin cursed at the official during one of his matches, he got a warning and afterwards I read articles saying that it was a disgrace he wasn't fined and thrown out of the tournament and then Jennifer turns around and does the same thing and doesn't even get a warning?? Also during her s/f against jennifer, Kim got a warning for taking too much time to fix the strings on her racket but she ran to her back and did it as fast as she could while Pete Sampras does that ALL THE TIME and hardly ever gets warnings!! I think both tours really need to take their stars down from the pedastal they currently have them on!!

apoet29
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:38 AM

Thanks apoet29 for respecting my opinion... most people attack me when i say i don't like Jen lol... yeah i know turning your life around like Jen did is really a remarkable accomplishment it's just that i don't think she needs to be to made out as being better than the rest of the players on tour. Also I think since i haven't been watching tennis for too long so i wasn't watching when Jen first was on tour and when her life started to get bad so i can't really appreciate what Jen has done... i know i shouldn't dislike her (dislike is a better word that hate cuz i dont really hate her) just for that but you know when you don't really like somebody you just can't shake that feeling!!

Thank you back! I don't think Jen is better than the other players on the tour. She isn't and she has a lot to learn about anger managment. However, she is a wonderful story for the press and she did make a great comeback against Hingis in that final. Very few players (maybe Venus or Lindsay) could have match points against them and come back and win the tournament. She was able to do that and that is why it is such a good story.

I understand that feeling you are talking about. The best way to get past that is to try and understand someone's behavior. For instance, if I were Jen in that final, I might have lost it too.

Great talking to you! :)

apoet29
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:39 AM
I was really really upset that Jennifer didn't get a warning because of her language. It makes it seem like the tour has her on a little pedastal, like they're scared to upset her. A lot of the stars really get better treatment from the officials than other players. I'll take two examples from the AO: When Marat Safin cursed at the official during one of his matches, he got a warning and afterwards I read articles saying that it was a disgrace he wasn't fined and thrown out of the tournament and then Jennifer turns around and does the same thing and doesn't even get a warning?? Also during her s/f against jennifer, Kim got a warning for taking too much time to fix the strings on her racket but she ran to her back and did it as fast as she could while Pete Sampras does that ALL THE TIME and hardly ever gets warnings!! I think both tours really need to take their stars down from the pedastal they currently have them on!!

I agree with you that there appears to be a double standard going on here. However, I believe that the ATP and WTA tours all regulate their players differently so that might be the reason for the disparity here.

apoet29
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by HAIL-VENUS
Yes Gogo, I remember the "stare-down". It was quite funny to me that Jen was the first one to turn her head. I guess she started thinking about the possible concequences of edging on a Venus Williams. Hehehe. Although I dislike Jen's attitude on court, I think she's a great player, and I found myself cheering for her to come back in the final. I was suprised myself. Anyone who has competed in anything, can surely empathize with Jen in the AO finals. Martina wasn't actually Miss Perfection herself. She slammed and threw a few rackets too. The conditions for competition were inhuman, and the level of play and battle of wills was tremendous. That's enough to make a priest say some pretty unholy things. Another thing is that we can't compare any two people. Everyone has a different personality. What ticks one person off horribly, may be hilarious to another. I'm not condoning Jen's behavior in any way, but I expect this from her pretty much everytime she plays now. Plus, the extreme conditions were a huge factor, and that's understandable to me.

Thank you Hail-Venus! You are my hero or heroine. Your post makes perfect sense to me.

Halardfan
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:44 AM
I just don't see how a swear word here and there is THAT big a deal.

It happens that in 'real life' I rarely swear (and even tell off friends who swear too much!) but its just not that big an issue.

After watching the 'international TV broadcast', you could switch channels and hear Al Pacino swearing 30 times, or Joe Pesci 40 in a minute. So I don't see why TV audiences would be sitting in shock, do we lead that sheltered lives?

You would think that Jennifer never stopped swearing in the match. I saw the second half of the match 'live' first time around, and didnt notice a single word.

Incredible heat and huge pressure and questionable calls SURELY make the occasional loss of temper enitrely normal.

Just as some people will look for any stick to beat the Williams sisters with when they win, it seems people are happy to do the same for Jennifer.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:58 AM
People often complain that tennis is still an elitist sport.

That fact that many of its fans can't deal with some swear words certaintly backs up that point.

Ever watched a basketball game before? Or how about Hockey? Soccer? I won't even touch on American Football...

If all of a sudden Shaq says F*** on court, then shoves some guy to the ground, he MIGHT get a foul for it, and a few people might boo-hiss at him.

But does the media and fans of the sport go crazy cause he is degrading the sport? NO!

So why is that the same people who say tennis is becoming more mainstream and less elitist - put a different level of expectations on the players than they do other professional sports?

I by no means think all players should curse out both sides of their mouths - I just think some people need to lighten up.

She can't hurt anyone but herself .

Bright Red
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:22 AM
No matter how much people tell us to lighten up. No matter how many examples of male tennis players with foul mouths--or other sports figures with foul mouths, are given. No matter how many movies with swearing in them are pointed out. None of it will change the fact that Ms. Capriati behaved improperly. If your standards are that low and you can look over, go right ahead. Just don't make us seem like the bad guys when we complain about something in the hopes of improving it.

Sure no one's perfect. That's the main reason complaining and criticizing was invented. So that we'll know when what we're doing is out of line. She was out of line.

GogoGirl
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:38 AM
For the record, Cappy's cursing and mouthing the "F" word a few times was distasteful to many to say the least. Yet, it is not just the curse word that turned me off. It was her whole attitude as she berated the chair umpire and the crowd. The entire episode was tactless and completely uncalled for.

Those that want to bring up the heat of the moment and the pressure of the final being played in such abhorent heat have a point, but what are the reasons she acts up any other time she graces the tennis court? She has a bad attitude period IMO, and no I wouldn't want to watch female tennis players swearing like they were sailors, and pirates at that. Please spare me that kind of added commotion. Just play tennis please.

I agree that each individual is different and they handle things differently. Btw, isn't that the point? Most of us on this thread wished to comment on Jen as an individual, because she was the only player at the time carrying on like she was. We are saying that she is the type of individual that does this or that, and so on and etc. If I wanted to comment on Jen, then she becomes the individual I comment on - and no one else can be her or take her place. So yes we have seen how she handles things as an individual. Let's see if she calms down in the future.

Some of us have commented about the fact that we were not impressed or crazy about her conduct. Nothing more or less. She is another great competitor and she has come a long way in her tennis life. No one can take that away from her. Back in 1999, I noticed that she doubled faulted a lot and made numerous UE's, yet she has definitely turned that around and she should be commended for it.

I balk at the notion that because she won, some of us began cracking on her for that fact alone. BS. That is not the reason I said what I've said. If she had not had that mini breakdown out there on the court, no one would have heard a peep outta me, because she deserved her win, and winning it shows she has a lot of heart. This last incident was not the first time I've been disappointed in her on court behavior, yet I am hoping it is the last. No one should be able to berate the ump and linespersons.

Otherwise, Jen was a trooper to dig as deep as she did to pull out the match. Again, she most certainly deserved her win and any praise that has been heaped upon her for it.

Finally, I wouldn't have cared what female player got all up in the chair umpire's face, I still would not have appreciated or condoned it. Even if that player had of been my Fav - Venus.

Halardfan
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Fact is that when Jennifer was ranked a few places lower than she is now, I had scaracly heard a word said against her. Since her huge success sticking the boot into Jennifer is a regular thing.

These two facts are related, SOME people resent that success. For absolute certain. Otherwise, why has the anti-Capriati stuff increased a hundred fold since her success?

As Venus has risen up the ranks, the anti-williams sentiment has increased. Again, this has at least something to do with resentment over her success. So it is with Capriati.

To say she is a "foul mouthed piece of trash" or "you can take the girl out of the slum, but you can't take the slum out of the girl" is just silly at best. Prejudiced at worst.

Squeeze
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Am I the only one here who sort of agrees with what was said about Jennifer ? Maybe it was a bit harsh, but I used to be a fan of her and I'm slowly starting to find her pretentious...

-Sonic-
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:51 PM
I agree with angele87, TeeRexx, Sam L & GoGoGirl....

Fugee
Jan 30th, 2002, 06:51 PM
i have to say i agree TOTALLY with freethinker!

Jen disgusts me too! she is rude, pretentious offcourt and acts like a spoilt brat on the court! And i find it amazing that she gets so special treatment on the court, some say she might not but if it were Safin saying what she daid in the final he would have been kicked out hehe!

It is my opinion ya'll cant knock me for it!

jen is my most hated top ten player by FAR

:mad:

Come-on-kim
Jan 30th, 2002, 06:59 PM

I completely agree with you!!!!

I hate Jenifer because of her language (this fuc... lines man)

Crazy Canuck
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Whats disgusting is not Jennifer - its people who can hate so easily.

Come-on-kim
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Becca
Whats disgusting is not Jennifer - its people who can hate so easily.
Excuse me Becca but at first, tennis is a sport!!!! It's not a "ring". I think players must give the example!!!! But not by saying "this fuckun lines man"!!!!!!!!!!

Before I liked her a little but since that crisis (she screamed,..) I didn't like her!!!!

Try doing it on the court yourself during a tournament in your tennis club, you will see!!!

the cat
Jan 31st, 2002, 01:43 AM
Becca , there is a big difference between cursing hockey players or cursing basketball players playing in front of a noisy 15 to 20,000 people, and a tennis player cursing in a quiet stadium. It's easier to concentrate on a single tennis player, than a hockey team. That's why Capriati gets nailed all the time. Call me provincial. Call me old school. But I don't like to see a grown woman spewing nasty language on a tennis court. I was offended by Capriati's language. If she and other players started getting hit with point and game penalties, the bad language would cease. By the way, I'm not as offended by a hockey players bad language. I hold tennis to a higher standard. And as a sport, I hold tennis to a higher standard than any other sport. Except golf.

I still think Capriati is a great story. Foul language or not.

Whatever it is, the idea should be to raise the standards, not lower the standards. Right?

GogoGirl
Jan 31st, 2002, 02:03 AM
I think what we haven't devled into enough on this thread is what happened to Jen. How come she acts the way she does? When did it start, etc? Someone posted that no one cracked on Jen until she started winning slams. I would say that maybe since she started winning slams, she got the big head.

She has taken her own comeback story and maybe made too much out of it. If this is true, then I don't totally blame her for her on court actions/reactions. After all, some press people have built her up sooooo much until she can't help but let it go to her head. Besides that, she most likely has found herself under a lot of pressure. Now because she has won the OZ and defended her title, hopefully the pressure heaped on her will decrease. And hence, her on court attitude should improve because the pressure is off. If I were her and had just successfully defended my first GS title, I would not let anyone crowd me and/or make me feel pressure to defend the French.

Either way, here's hoping she can utilize better coping skills than she showed at the OZ from now on. Of course, I can understand the fact that some did not expect her to reach the final, but she did, so she probably felt pressure to defend. If she turns it all around for the better, I'm sure I would begin to appreciate her again. Like someone else stated, she is a role model to young and medium age children, therefore she should set a better example.

Never the less and just the same, I don't hate Jen, I just dislike some of her ways. My mother lives with me and I don't like some of her ways and vice versa. If one hates another or something, IMO, that hated person or thing ultimately has power over the one doing the hating. I will never hate, because I don't want anyone or thing to ever have power over me, and that ain't happening.

veryborednow
Jan 31st, 2002, 02:10 AM
This topic is dead. It's boring. Tedious. And getting us nowhere. Let's just appreciate the tennis. Please

Bright Red
Jan 31st, 2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by GoGoGirl:

Never the less and just the same, I don't hate Jen, I just dislike some of her ways. My mother lives with me and I don't like some of her ways and vice versa. If one hates another or something, IMO, that hated person or thing ultimately has power over the one doing the hating. I will never hate, because I don't want anyone or thing to ever have power over me, and that ain't happening.

You are just so right about this, and so well put.