PDA

View Full Version : World Aquatics Championships - 2003

roots
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:23 PM
The 10th FINA World Championships have been taking place at the site of the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain since July 12. The championships combines all 4 aquatics sports, which are diving, swimming (pool and open water), water poplo and synchronized swimming. Swimming competetions don't get under way until later this week, but finals in diving and synchro swimming have already taken place.

I'm just happy to hear that Émilie Heymans just captured Gold on the women's 10M platform today. She edged out Kishi Lao of China by less than 2 points. I'm so happy for her, she finished just off the medal podium in Sydney at the 2000 Olympics, so this is great for her.

Fo people that are interested, you can follow all the action on www.fina.org

kyk710
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:02 PM
I've tried to watch on TV but all they show is Water Polo :rolleyes:

Nicoleke
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, congratulations to the new " world champion " from France, Virginie Dedieu :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

propi
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:54 PM
I'm happy as Spain is doing really well at the moment!!!
We'll win the waterpolo WC for 3rd time in a row!! :D

Kanji
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Grats to Emilie from Quebec for her gold medal. ;)

I've seen some amazing pictures of her performance on the news today, but sadly I haven't been able to find them on the net.

Nicoleke
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:16 PM
In which event ?

http://www.fina.org/bcn03_synchrosolo_dedieuFRA2_small.jpg

The dream of Virginie

" Even if I worked and was prepared for this moment a long time ago, I couldn't avoid the emotion when I listened to the French anthem ! "

Virginie Dedieu was indeed waiting for this gold medal for quite a while. In Perth 1998 and Fukuoka 2001, the solo event went to the Russians (first Olga Sedakova, then Olga Brusnikina) and the French conquered in both occasions the silver. Now, in Barcelona, Dedieu clearly beat all the rivals and conquered the first gold medal for France in synchro at a World Championships .....

I just saw a canadian swimmer on " diving event " and he is simply really :drool: lol !!!!!

Kanji
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:21 PM
In diving on the 10 meters tower.

Kanji
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:22 PM
I just saw a canadian swimmer on " diving event " and he is simply really :drool: lol !!!!!
Divers and swimmers just have the best bodies. :drool:

Nicoleke
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Divers and swimmers just have the best bodies. :drool:
Owwh yes :drool: ;) lol !!!!!

Central
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Yep, specially some of the divers are :hearts:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 04:51 PM
now the main action starts

Swimming :D :D

Alexander Popov :woohoo:

Thorpe vs Hoogenband

from BBC :)
Ian Thorpe won a record ninth world championship gold medal with victory in the 400m freestyle for the third time in succession.
The 20-year-old Australian overtook the record he shared with East German Kornelia Ender - but his bid for seven gold medals in Barcelona came unstuck when Australia lost their 4x100m relay title to Russia.

Fellow Australian Grant Hackett, silver medallist behind Thorpe in 1998 and 2001, led narrowly for the first half of the 400m freestyle in the Palau Sant Jordi pool.

But Thorpe cut loose to overhaul his compatriot and win in three minutes 42.58 seconds, and become the first swimmer to win the same individual event at three world championships.

"Tracey (coach Tracey Menzies) told me to concentrate on the ABC, and I did, and make sure I stayed in control of the race," said Thorpe.

Hackett took the silver in 3:45.17 and Dragos Coman of Romania the bronze in 3:46.87.

"All in all it's not a bad start for me," said Hackett. "With the first gold going to Australia it's still a great start."

But Australia could not make it a second in the relay as Alexander Popov ended a 12-year wait for 4x100m freestyle gold with the Russian team.

Popov, who clinched his first world title since 1998, raced the final leg after teammates Andrei Kapralov, Ivan Usov and Denis Pimankov and clocked a new championship record of 3min 14.06sec, ahead of the United States in 3:14.80.

"It's a nice sort of forgotten feeling," said the 30-year-old.

"I've never been on the top of the podium for the 4x100m relay, so this is a pleasure. I've been dreaming about it since 1991."

And the four-time Olympic champion, who is competing in the 50m and 100m this week, warned his rivals: "This is only the beginning for me."

Australia finished out of the medals as France pipped them for bronze behind the United States.

"I'm a little bit disappointed with the overall result for the relay team. We've done what we've done in the past but there was a really hot field out there," said Thorpe.

Jenny Thompson equalled the most medals won at world championships as she anchored the USA to victory in the women's event.

The 30-year-old, who has six gold, three silver and a bronze medals, covered her 100m leg in a world record time of 53.44 seconds, but records can only be broken on the first leg of the relay.

"I don't know what it is but I just got very excited," she said.

"I came off the 50 turn and felt an adrenalin rush. I didn't see anyone around me and I just stayed very focused,."

Germany's Hannah Stockbauer won the women's 400m freestyle title.

Stockbauer, defending champion over 800m and 1,500m, came in ahead of Eva Risztov of Hungary with Diana Munz of the United States taking bronze.

Japan's Kosukke Kitajima, meanwhile, moved closer to the world record when he clocked 59.98sec to qualify for the men's 100m breaststroke final.

http://www.fina.org/

go Yana Klochkova ;)
Agnes Kovacs :)
Johanna Sjöberg ;)

propi
Jul 21st, 2003, 05:12 PM
I hope Popov can win some gold, as well as Van D. Hoogenband!
and Nina Zhivaneskaya :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 05:16 PM
Matt Welsh (AUS) just broke WR in 50m butterfly by 0.01secs to take GOLD
23.43sec

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 21st, 2003, 05:19 PM
WOW at two Quebecois getting gold medals in those Championships!!!!

Congrats Emilie and Alexandre!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 05:27 PM
another WR for an Aussie

18 yr old Lizel Jones breaks 100m breaststroke SF in 1.06.37 to bt old mark by 0.15secs

matthias
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:07 PM
the medals are the ugliest medals i ever seen !!!

my favorit is Hannah Stockbauer :smooch: :yeah: :kiss: :bowdown: :lick:

she won yesterday the 400meter, and tomorrow she will hopefully defend her title on 1500m

http://www.xx-ion.info/admin/bilder_stockbauer/wm%20mit%20gold1.JPG
Hannah - including the ugly medal

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:28 PM
Yana Klochkova wins 200m ind Medley :woohoo: :kiss: :)

those are really UGLY medals :eek:

Joseosu19
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:36 PM
Jenny:D

matthias
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:44 PM
lol about Natalie Coughlin - she was supposed to be the female top-star, and where is she now - lol

Cilla
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:04 PM
Matt Welch :eek: That was a shock! But congrats to him :bounce: Mark Foster :( Congrats to Leisel Jones too, that was a great effort :D Well done to James Gibson for getting the bronze in the 100 breaststoke :yeah: Good Luck to Sarah Price & Katie Sexton tomorrow :D & to Pieter Van den Hoogenband :bounce: Beat Thorpedo :devil: :p

TBE-The medals are so huge, chunky & awful lol :o

Cilla
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:06 PM
lol about Natalie Coughlin - she was supposed to be the female top-star, and where is she now - lol

The American teams said she had a virus or something. Dunno whether that is really the case or whether she's just out of form lol.

Ooh forgot a :bounce: for Alex Popov! :bounce:

bliss
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:11 PM
Coughlin :rolleyes: :rolleyes: supposed the best swimmer in the world pffffffff :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:25 PM
can't wait for tomorrow
Thorpe vs Van den Hoogenband

Agnes Kovacs didn't make 100m breaststoke final :sad: but her best event is the 200m ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:27 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/3084915.stm

Records tumble in Spain

Japan's Kosuke Kitajima and Australian duo Matthew Welsh and Leisel Jones all set world records at the World Swimming Championships in Barcelona.
Kitajima set a new standard in winning the men's 100m breaststroke, Welsh won the 50m butterfly gold in record time while Jones established a new mark in the women's 100m breaststroke semi-finals.

In Monday's other medal events, American veteran Jenny Thompson won gold in the 100 butterfly and Yana Klochkova of the Ukraine won gold in the 200 individual medley.

Welsh covered his single swim down the pool in 23.43 seconds, beating the old record of 23.44 set by fellow Australian Geoff Huegill at the last worlds in Fukuoka, Japan.

"I had no pressure in that race being a backstroker," said Welsh. "I was really happy with my start and the kick felt fantastic all the way through."

Ian Crocker of the United States won silver in 23.62, with bronze going to Russian Evgeni Korotychkine in 23.73.

Jones clocked 1:06.37 in the second semi-final heat of the 100m breaststroke, beating the old record of 1:06.52 set in 1999 by Penelope Heyns of South Africa.

"I think it was seeing Matt set a world record that inspired me," said Jones.

Kitajima's time of 59.78 in the men's 100m breaststroke eclipsed the old record of 59.94 set by Roman Sloudnov of Russia in Fukuoka in 2001.

Brendan Hansen of the United States took silver in 1:00.21, with bronze for Britain's James Gibson in 1:00.37.

Thompson, an eight-time Olympic champion, captured her first major individual gold since 1998.

Her time of 57.96 seconds beat silver medalist Otylia Jedrzejczak of Poland (58.22) and bronze medalist Martina Moravcova of Slovakia (58.24).

Klochkova won the women's 200 individual medley in 2:10.75, the third fastest time ever.

Alice Mills of Australia claimed silver in 2:12.75 and Zhou Yafei of China took the bronze in 2:12.92.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:29 PM
Photo Gallery here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/photo_galleries/3063855.stm)

bliss
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:45 PM
Go Nina!!!! good luck in 100m backstroke tomorrow (without coughlin :rolleyes: ) :bounce: :bounce:

Monica_Rules
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:48 PM
OMG GBR has won a medal!:eek:

smarties
Jul 21st, 2003, 11:29 PM
Go Yana!!! she really is the queen of IM

Fantastic
Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:19 PM
Natalie Coughlin took ill after the 4x100m freestyle relay and tried to swim the heats of the backstroke the following morning but couldn't qualify so she pulled out of the rest of her events for the day.

Congratulations to Matthew Welsh on the World Record and World Title, and to Liesel Jones for the World Record in the 100m breaststroke semi-final. I was incredibly shocked for Welsh! Not only did he beat a world-class field, but he beat Geoff Huegill, the World Record holder and defending titleholder of the 50m butterfly. Well done to the Aussies in the womens' 4x100m freestyle relay (Lisbeth Lenton, Jodie Henry, Elka Graham, Alice Mills) for winning bronze. Individually, well done to Alice Mills, who was moved to tears when she came from seventh at the 150m mark in the 200 IM to finish second and take the Silver medal behind Yana Klochkova.

Tonight, Liesel Jones and Brooke Hanson back up for the 100m breastroke final. The biggest threat to Liesel is 1996 Olympic silver medallist (and my all-time cutie) Amanda Beard of the US. Also, Ian Thorpe goes up against Pieter Van Den Hoogenband in the 200m freestyle final, and Matt Welsh takes to the water to defend his 100m backstroke world title.

GO AUSSIES!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:31 PM
Hannah Stockbauer wins 1500m freestyle in new European Record 16.00:18 secs

awesome swim :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:41 PM
Ian Thorpe won the 200m beating Pieter Van den Hoogenband into 2nd
Grant Hackett took 3rd

Thorpe won pretty easily. moving ahead from 100m-150 and pulling away

Central
Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:17 PM
Liesel Jones didn't win :( it seems she made too much in her semi :o

matthias
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:13 PM
Hannah Stockbauer wins 1500m freestyle in new European Record 16.00:18 secs

awesome swim :)

and she is from Frankonia like me ;)

well done Hannah
well done Antje Buschschulte - finally a great title for her!!!

poor Sarah Poewe - 4th place
but she will hopefully win her medal on 200m breast...(don´t know the right spelling)

Cilla
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:16 PM
Pieter :sad: He didn't swim his best, Thorpey was too good again. Congrats Thorpedo :p Yeah, Liesel only got the bronze. Probably a case of peaking too soon. Hannah Stockbauer was awesome :worship: So close to breaking the 16 minute barrier.

Congrats to Katie Sexton in the 100 back :bounce:

And well done to the Piersol siblings :D Aaron & Hayley for Gold & Silver in their respective events :D

Go James Gibson & Darren Mew in the 50 Breaststoke Final tomorrow :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/3087641.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39310000/jpg/_39310301_thorpeap203.jpg

Ian Thorpe won his personal battle with Holland's Pieter van den Hoogenband to retain his World Championships 200m freestyle title in Barcelona.
Thorpe's victory on Tuesday began an entertaining evening at the Palau Sant Jordi pool during which American teenager Michael Phelps smashed the 200m butterfly world record and Britain's Katy Sexton collected a silver medal in the 100m breaststroke.

Van den Hoogenband had been quicker than Thorpe in both the heats and the semi-finals, but the Australian triumphed in the final with a time of 1min 45.14secs.

"It was an average time but I'm happy with the result," said Thorpe, who picked up his second gold of the event and his 11th in total.

"I wanted to go out pretty fast (and) it was a relatively good swim and I'm happy."

Van den Hoogenband finished over a second behind Thorpe in 1min 46.43secs with Australian Grant Hackett collecting the bronze to follow his silver in the 400m freestyle.

Phelps, one of Thorpe's only rivals as the world's best swimmer, destroyed his own world record in the 200m butterfly semi-finals with a time of 1min 53.93secs

The 18-year-old is planning to swim six events in Barcelona, with the 200m butterfly final on Wednesday, and threatens to land a medal in each.

Like Thorpe, he also holds three individual world records.

Britain's Stephen Parry finished second behind Phelps in a new British record and also qualified for the final.

And Britain's medal hopes were further boosted when James Gibson set the fastest time in qualifying for the 50m butterfly final on Wednesday.

In the 100m backstroke final, there was a slight upset when America's Aaron Peirsol took the title ahead of Australia's Matt Welsh.

Welsh, who won gold in the 50m butterfly in world record time on Monday, had to settle for joint silver with Russia's Arkady Vyatchanin.

Peirsol's victory made it a double celebration for his family after sister Hayley took silver in the 1500m freestyle earlier in the evening.

The event was won by Hannah Stockbauer in a European record time of 16mins 00.18secs.

Germany celebrated another gold medal when Antje Buschschulte triumphed in a thrilling 100m backstroke.

Britain's Katy Sexton put on a late charge and was catching the German with every stroke but left herself with too much to do.

Sexton shared the silver with Denmark's Louise Ornstedt.

The 100m breaststroke saw another surprise when China's Xuejuan Luo captured gold ahead of Amanda Beard of the USA and Australia's Leisel Jones.

Jones set the world record in the semi-finals but could not contend with Luo's lightning quick start and although the Chinese swimmer faded badly in the final metres, Jones could not respond.

JoeyWinson3.0
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:48 PM
Is there a search function on that site?

Kanji
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:52 PM
Which site ?

JoeyWinson3.0
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Need to keep an eye on Ross Davenport's progress... go Ross...

JoeyWinson3.0
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:56 PM
that FINA site

roots
Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:09 PM
that FINA site

What information you looking for?

angele87
Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:43 PM
I didn't realize there was a thread for this :o

Alexandre :D :hearts: :worship:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030719/capt.1058648553.spain_swimming_dv120.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030719/capt.1058646450.spain_swimming_dv114.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030719/capt.1058641416.spain_swimming_dv116.jpg

Monica_Rules
Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:03 PM
OMG Britain won another medal:eek:

Nsd we look like we will win a gold:eek:

What is the world coming to?

Fantastic
Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:21 PM
Was Despatie the cute, little 14-year-old kid from 1998 World Champs diving? Or was that someone else? I'm confused.

SugarSkin
Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:03 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOO RISZTOV ÉVI!!!!!! :D :worship:
She already has a silver medal of the 400m freestyle! :) And now she is the final of the 200m butterfly! (and has 2 more events) GO ÉVI!!! And GO HUNGARIANS!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:16 PM
tomorrow's 100m freestyle final
all qualified :)

Thorpe, Van den Hoogenband and Popov

go Alexander !!!!!!!!!!

Cilla
Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:53 PM
:worship: James Gibson :worship:

Congrats on a great gold medal Gibbo :bounce:
Congrats also to Michael Phelps :worship: Awesome performance to break the world record yesterday & to win the gold medal today. Also, he did a fanatastic 1st leg in the 4x200m relay to hold off Hackett :D

Great swim from Alex Popov as well! :D

roots
Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:03 PM
Any scores from the Canada vs Italy women's water polo semi-final?

Central
Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:06 PM
Yep, impressive Phelps on the 4x200 :worship: He made 1'45 or so and defeating Hackett :eek:

roots
Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:37 PM
Nevermind, Canada lost to Italy 5-2 :(

Too bad for Canada, maybe they can come away with the bronze. Congrats to Italy though.

Kanji
Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:43 PM
Was Despatie the cute, little 14-year-old kid from 1998 World Champs diving? Or was that someone else? I'm confused.
It's indeed him Fantastic. He is now 18 and has a gorgeous body. :drool:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39299000/jpg/_39299657_desap.jpg

roots
Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:55 PM
Ok, I too have to admit for an 18 year old, he does have a great body. Actually, Alexandre captured Gold at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lampur as a 13 year old, remarkable.

Although, I think the Canadian and Quebec media will put too much pressure on him and Émilie to take home Gold from Athens next summer, I just hope they get to Athens injury-free and ready to compete!

Kanji
Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:06 PM
Ok, I too have to admit for an 18 year old, he does have a great body. Actually, Alexandre captured Gold at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lampur as a 13 year old, remarkable.

Although, I think the Canadian and Quebec media will put too much pressure on him and Émilie to take home Gold from Athens next summer, I just hope they get to Athens injury-free and ready to compete!
Thanks for the precision Roots. ;)

I agree with you that the public will expect them to perform highly and anything less than gold will be perceived as some kind of failure...

JoeyWinson3.0
Jul 24th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Can anyone tell me how Ross Davenport is getting on!!! (I know him, thats why... but I havent been able to find anything as to how he is getting on)

jcman
Jul 24th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Good luck to Michael Phelps, Alex Popov and Yana Klochkova!!!!!!!!

Get well soon to Natalie Coughlin!

Really hope Popov can win in 50 n 100 Free!!

kyk710
Jul 24th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Good luck to Michael Phelps, Alex Popov and Yana Klochkova!!!!!!!!

Get well soon to Natalie Coughlin!

Really hope Popov can win in 50 n 100 Free!!
What's wrong with Natalie :confused:? I'm so mad at myself, I keep sleeping through espn showing of Worlds, and when I am up I get the times screwed up :fiery:

kyk710
Jul 24th, 2003, 08:06 AM
how old is Jenny Thompson now? She's ancient for women's swimming. Congrats her on the relay and 100 fly :worship:

DutchieGirl
Jul 24th, 2003, 12:57 PM
I´m there! At the swimming! I´ve been every evening so far. Am going to the heats Fri and Sat (Inge´s heats) ;)

propi
Jul 24th, 2003, 12:59 PM
I´m there! At the swimming! I´ve been every evening so far. Am going to the heats Fri and Sat (Inge´s heats) ;)
ENjoy the swiming and Barcelona!!!!! visit the city as much as you can....it-s worth it!!!;)

DutchieGirl
Jul 24th, 2003, 01:55 PM
ENjoy the swiming and Barcelona!!!!! visit the city as much as you can....it-s worth it!!!;)

I have seen alot of La Rambla (the shopping street) and alot of Montjuic (the Olympic park). Tomorrow I will go to Parc Guell and that weird house belonging to some family who´s name I can´t spell! ;)

Fantastic
Jul 24th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Congratulations to Grant Hackett, Craig Stevens, Nicholas Sprenger and Ian Thorpe! Gold in the 4x200m freestyle relay. :)

Finally! Inge De Bruijn will be swimming soon. I've been looking forward to her swims since the meet started! :)
Good luck to Ian Thorpe in the 100m freestyle final. He'll need it against Van Den Hoogenband and Popov.

Good luck to Jim Piper in the 200m breaststroke final.

pura-vida
Jul 24th, 2003, 03:48 PM
HANNA STOCKBAUER ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!
SHE IS SO SWEET..and a huge swimmer!!!! 1500 gold!!!!! i hope she will win gold in 800mts. too!!!!

Central
Jul 24th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Another Gold medal and another WR by Kosuke Kitajima :worship:

Wow, that guy :woohoo:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 24th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Nina Z won the 50m backstroke :bounce: :woohoo:

SugarSkin
Jul 24th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Risztov Évi again silver medalist in 200m butterfly!!!
CONGRATULATION!!!!!!!! :) :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 24th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Alexander Popov wins 100m :woohoo: :woohoo: :bowdown: :worship:

where were you Pieter :p :lol:
Ian Thorpe was no where :lol: :haha:

the great man is back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Central
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Popov's won!!! :worship:
2nd PieterVDH and 3rd Thorpe

Congrats Alexander :D

propi
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Congrats to Nina, our Spanish swimer :p :worship: :bounce:
Congrats to Popov, the living legend (I see I'm not the only one happy for his victory;) ) :bounce: :worship: :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:35 PM
200m men's individual medley semi-finals
American sensation Michael Phelps breaks the world record with a time of 1min 57.52 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200m women's breaststroke semi-finals
America's Amanda Beard wins the first semi-final ahead of Australia Leisel Jones. China's Hui Qi touches first in the other semi in a slower time, with Mirna Jukic of Austria second.

Defending champion Agnes Kovacs fails to qualify.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100m men's freestyle final
1. Alexander Popov (Rus)
2. Pieter van den Hoogenband (Ned)
3. Ian Thorpe (Aus)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39320000/jpg/_39320065_popovap.jpg
Swimming legend Alexander Popov gives the thumbs up after winning gold in the 100 metre freestyle final

Popov gets off to a lightning quick start and Thorpe and Van den Hoogenband are unable to match him.

The legendary Russian ties up at the end, having been on world record pace, but he hangs on for the world title.

200m women's butterfly final
1. Otylia Jedrzejczak (Pol)
2. Eva Risztov (Hun)
3. Yuko Nakanishi (Jpn)

200m men's backstroke semi-finals
America's Aaron Peirsol wins the second semi in fine style with a time of 1min 55.82secs, a new Championship record.

Britain's Gregor Tait faces a swim-off for a place in the final after the eighth and ninth placed swimmers finish with exactly the same time.

100m women's freestyle semi-finals
America's Jenny Thompson easily qualifies for the final by winning her semi. Hanna-Maria Seppala wins the second in a new Finnish record of 54.48secs.

200m men's breaststroke final
1. Kosuke Kitajima (Jpn)
2. Ian Edmond (GB)
3. Brendan Hansen(US)

Kitajima smashes the world record as he takes gold in a time of 2mins 09.42secs, his second world mark of the Championships.

Ian Edmond collects Britain's fourth medal in Barcelona, finishing second behind the Japanese swimmer.

Dmitry Komornikov, the previous world record holder, does not medal.

50m women's backstroke final
1. Nina Zhivanevskaya (Spa)
2. Ilona Hlavackova (Cze)
3. Noriko Inada (Jpn)

Zhivanevskaya makes it an electric start to the evening at the Palau Sant Jordi pool winning Spain's first gold of the Championships.

SugarSkin
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Phelps new world record in 200m medley! :bigclap: :bowdown:

Bероника
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Nina!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Central
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:57 PM
It was good to see Ian Thorpe swimming something he does not know well... I liked it :D

pura-vida
Jul 24th, 2003, 07:01 PM
CONGRATULATIONS POPOV!!!! YOU BACK!!
Good luck for Leisel Jones tomorrow!!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 24th, 2003, 07:20 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/3093883.stm

Superb Popov snatches gold

Russian legend Alexander Popov saw off younger rivals Ian Thorpe and Pieter van den Hoogenband to take victory in the World Championships 100m freestyle.
The popular 31-year-old's win was the highlight of an enthralling evening's swimming in Barcelona.

Michael Phelps, the 18-year-old American sensation, broke his own record in the 200m individual medley and Kosuke Kitajima took gold in the 200m breaststroke as another world mark was lowered.

And Ian Edmond clinched silver behind Kitajima to take Great Britain's medal haul to four.

Popov was fastest off the blocks and narrowly led from Van den Hoogenband at 50m, as Thorpe lagged in last place.

The Russian, who turned under world record pace, was clearly tiring in the final metres but hung on for victory ahead of Van den Hoogenband and a fast-finishing Thorpe.

The crowd at the Palau Sant Jordi pool gave Popov a standing ovation after the Russian captured his third world title at the event after victories in 1994 and 1998.

It was busy evening for Thorpe who later qualified for the final of the 200m individual medley - his weakest event.

The Australian posted the fifth fastest time in the same semi-final as Phelps who sliced nearly half a second off his own world record as he cruised to victory.

The 18-year-old had already bettered his world record at the 200m butterfly semi-finals, which he took gold in on Wednesday.

Kitajima also set his second world record of the Championships with victory in the 200m breaststroke following his stellar performances in the 100m equivalent.

The Japanese swimmer beat the record set in July by Russia's Dmitri Komornikov - who failed to medal and finished back in fifth.

In other action, Russian-born Nina Zhivanevskaya became the first Spanish woman in history to win a World Championship gold medal by taking the 50m backstroke title

Ilona Hlavackova of the Czech Republic took the silver medal in 28.50 and Japan's Noriko Inada took the bronze medal in 28.62.

And the United States just missed out on the world record as they took victory in the 4x200m women's freestyle event.

Australia finished well behind for silver, with China taking the bronze ahead of Great Britain in fourth.

King Aaron
Jul 24th, 2003, 07:24 PM
:worship: Popov!
Did Alex Lim Keng Liat qualify for the 200m backstroke final?

Cilla
Jul 24th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Alex :worship: What an amazing win after all he's had to overcome in his life :worship: He's a true legend :D

Never mind Pieter, they'll be other chances ;)

Michael Phelps :worship: Again another world record :bigclap: It's hard to believe he's only 18 :eek:

Thorp is lucky he's such a good freestyler, coz that's the only chance he'll have of getting a medal in the 200 IM ;)

Congrats to Ian Edmonds :D And home favourite Nina Zhivanevskaya :)

bliss
Jul 24th, 2003, 11:23 PM
200m men's individual medley semi-finals
American sensation Michael Phelps breaks the world record with a time of 1min 57.52 seconds.

200m women's breaststroke semi-finals
America's Amanda Beard wins the first semi-final ahead of Australia Leisel Jones. China's Hui Qi touches first in the other semi in a slower time, with Mirna Jukic of Austria second.

Defending champion Agnes Kovacs fails to qualify.

100m men's freestyle final
1. Alexander Popov (Rus)
2. Pieter van den Hoogenband (Ned)
3. Ian Thorpe (Aus)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39320000/jpg/_39320065_popovap.jpg
Swimming legend Alexander Popov gives the thumbs up after winning gold in the 100 metre freestyle final

Popov gets off to a lightning quick start and Thorpe and Van den Hoogenband are unable to match him.

The legendary Russian ties up at the end, having been on world record pace, but he hangs on for the world title.

200m women's butterfly final
1. Otylia Jedrzejczak (Pol)
2. Eva Risztov (Hun)
3. Yuko Nakanishi (Jpn)

200m men's backstroke semi-finals
America's Aaron Peirsol wins the second semi in fine style with a time of 1min 55.82secs, a new Championship record.

Britain's Gregor Tait faces a swim-off for a place in the final after the eighth and ninth placed swimmers finish with exactly the same time.

100m women's freestyle semi-finals
America's Jenny Thompson easily qualifies for the final by winning her semi. Hanna-Maria Seppala wins the second in a new Finnish record of 54.48secs.

200m men's breaststroke final
1. Kosuke Kitajima (Jpn)
2. Ian Edmond (GB)
3. Brendan Hansen(US)

Kitajima smashes the world record as he takes gold in a time of 2mins 09.42secs, his second world mark of the Championships.

Ian Edmond collects Britain's fourth medal in Barcelona, finishing second behind the Japanese swimmer.

Dmitry Komornikov, the previous world record holder, does not medal.

50m women's backstroke final
1. Nina Zhivanevskaya (Spa)
2. Ilona Hlavackova (Cze)
3. Noriko Inada (Jpn)

Zhivanevskaya makes it an electric start to the evening at the Palau Sant Jordi pool winning Spain's first gold of the Championships.
ejem... It´s not Spain's first gold of the championship, it´s the first gold in SWIMMING ;)

Popov :worship: :worship:
Ian Thorpe and VDH :lol:
Phelps :eek: :worship:
Agnes :fiery: :mad: (what are you doing?)
and NINA :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :bigclap: :woohoo: :woohoo:
What happened with Elka Graham? :confused:

Cilla
Jul 24th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Joey-I haven't heard anything of Ross Davenport :confused:

Re: Elka Graham, apparantely she has been ill for the whole championships & she shouldn't really be swimming. I guess it all caught up with her as she collapsed on the podium after that Aussie women received their relay silver. But, she recovered quickly.

I just watched the highlights & they were saying that Elka has had a history of heart problems :( & she collapsed at a training camp recently & doctors told her that she may never race again but she convinced them otherwise. Her team mates looked very concerned & had to hold onto her on the podium.

Cilla
Jul 25th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Elka collapses at swim ceremony
Friday 25 July 2003, 6:30 AM

Previously ill Australian swimmer Elka Graham has collapsed during a victory ceremony at the world championships in Barcelona.

She was carried unconscious from the pool deck and taken away for treatment by Australian team doctor Jeni Saunders.

Team spokesman Karen Stephenson said she quickly recovered and was able to walk out of the building.

"She's okay, she's gone back to the hotel, she's fine," Stephenson said, adding that Graham's parents had been watching their daughter from the stands as she fainted.

High performance director Greg Hodge was planning to hold a later news conference.

Graham had just received a silver medal as part of the Australian team which placed second behind the United States in the women's 4x200 freestyle relay in a Commonwealth record time.

Her legs buckled and team-mates supported her as officials moved in to carry her away.

Graham had received recent treatment for a heart complaint and was originally ruled out of competing.

She flew from her home in Sydney to Barcelona after getting a second medical opinion.

©2003 AFP

Kirt12255
Jul 25th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Elka collapses at swim ceremony
Friday 25 July 2003, 6:30 AM

Previously ill Australian swimmer Elka Graham has collapsed during a victory ceremony at the world championships in Barcelona.

She was carried unconscious from the pool deck and taken away for treatment by Australian team doctor Jeni Saunders.

Team spokesman Karen Stephenson said she quickly recovered and was able to walk out of the building.

"She's okay, she's gone back to the hotel, she's fine," Stephenson said, adding that Graham's parents had been watching their daughter from the stands as she fainted.

High performance director Greg Hodge was planning to hold a later news conference.

Graham had just received a silver medal as part of the Australian team which placed second behind the United States in the women's 4x200 freestyle relay in a Commonwealth record time.

Her legs buckled and team-mates supported her as officials moved in to carry her away.

Graham had received recent treatment for a heart complaint and was originally ruled out of competing.

She flew from her home in Sydney to Barcelona after getting a second medical opinion.

©2003 AFP

Elka!!!! :sad: but a truely gutsy effort!

Elka was only put back in the team very close to the start of the WC'Ships.

From memory it was an irregular heart-beat. There was alot of talk in the Media here that she would have to retire and never swim internationally again.

Having qualified 2nd fastest for the final in the 200....she finished 7th and in her interview after getting out of the pool......

DUNCAN ARMSTRONG: Elka a 7th placing, are you dissapointed with that?
ELKA: No, not at all I can't think like that, I came here and shaved 3 seconds of my PB in the 400, 7th in the Last 2 world champs, the lucky 7's! (with a big smile).

I hope this doesn't spell the end for Elka...get well girl and come back strong :wavey:

DutchieGirl
Jul 25th, 2003, 12:00 PM
I´m glad to hear that Elka´s OK! I was there of course when it happened, but not being able to read SPanish it was kinda hard to find any articles here that I could understand! I heard someone behind me saying something about low blood sugar this morning at the heats, but I wasn´t sure if they were talking about Elka or not!

Was very happy this morning! Inge qualified fastest for the semi´s of the 50m fly...she was the only one to swim under 27 secs! My girl´s still got it! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 25th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Sarah did u see the great 100m freestyle race ???

Alexander got a great reception before the race :D :)

DutchieGirl
Jul 25th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Sarah did u see the great 100m freestyle race ???

Alexander got a great reception before the race :D :)

The race yesterday? Yeah I saw it. He got a great reception AFTER the race too! :D I´m just happy Thorpe didn´t win! ;)

Fantastic
Jul 25th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Inkyfan, why are you happy Ian Thorpe didn't win? :confused:

It can't just be because he wins all his other races, can it? I don't think it'll be long before he is a top contender for the 100m freestyle. He already is, I suppose, with the world championships bronze medal already around his neck.

IMO, Ian does surprisingly well for all the pressure that the media place on him, as well as his own teammates. He is the anchor of all the relay teams and is always expected to win it for them. He is undoubtedly the role model and inspiration for the Australian swimming team. Michael Phelps dominates even more than Thorpe. This year alone, Phelps has clocked Top 10 times in 100m freestyle and butterfly, 200m freestyle, butterfly and backstroke, the 200m IM and the 400m IM. His pet events are the 200m butterfly and 200m IM. He does the others 'for fun.' Can you imagine? Compared to Thorpe, there is much less pressure on Phelps as the US give very little attention to their swimmers. I think Phelps will probably end up having a greater career than Thorpe if he wins Olympic Gold in Athens next year.

Elka Graham was diagnosed with low blood pressure, which was related to her heart problems. By doctors orders, she was supposed to go for a swim down to relax herself after her races. She didn't do this after the 4x200m freestyle relay as she had the medals presentation straight after. She would have been fine if she'd been given enough time to cool down after the event. She had the option to sit out the ceremony apparently, but chose to be part of the presentations to celebrate with Linda MacKenzie, Kirsten Thompson and Alice Mills. I feel so sorry for her as she had the makings of a Susie O'Neill-type career. Now it looks like she's all washed up at age 21. :sad:

Seles2002
Jul 25th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Just wanna wish Leisel the best of luck tonight!!! I am quite good friends with her and even have her MSN address but I'm not allowed to give it out. She trains with one of my friends I used to swim with.

GO LEISEL!!!

Fantastic
Jul 25th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Yes, Go Liesel!!! :)

Monica_Rules
Jul 25th, 2003, 05:56 PM
OMG Jippo Greame Smith came 4th he qualified second fastest:rolleyes:

Sarah Price and Joanna Fargus better get their act together in the 200m back.Suposed to be ranked #1 and #2 in the wrold and qualifying like 8th and 9th!

Central
Jul 25th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Two world records in a row :bounce: First Serdinov, immediately re-broken by Phelps :eek: Nice :worship:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 25th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Phelps breaks another WR

1:56.04 in winning 200m ind Medley
WOW
broke the WR by 1.5 secs

Cilla
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Michael Phelps :eek: :hearts:

Amazing night for him again :worship: 2 world records :D I felt sorry for Serdinov in the 100 Fly, coz you just knew Phelps would just come out & break his 5 minute old world record :p

Inge :D :bounce: Good Luck in the final tomorrow :D Great to see her race again.

Looks like Alex Popov will be a triple gold medal winner come tomorrow ;) :D

Cilla
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:12 PM
I actually thought that it was a really good effort from Thorpey to get the silver in the 200 IM. After the way he swam yesterday & seeing his poor breastroke, I didn't think he would get a medal. But, he tried really hard on the breastroke today & that kept him in contention.

roots
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Phelps breaks another WR

1:56.04 in winning 200m ind Medley
WOW
broke the WR by 1.5 secs

That is really remarkable, to be able to shave off so much time. Truly amazing!

korben
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Hanna-Maria :bounce: :D :woohoo: :bowdown:

Friday, Hanna-Maria Seppälä became the first Finnish woman to win a gold medal at the World Swimming Championships by taking the 100 freestyle title.

Seppälä finished in 54.37, ahead of silver medalist Jodie Henry (54.58) Australia and bronze medalist and eight-time Olympic champion Jenny Thompson of the United States (54.65).

That Phelps 200m medlay record is amazing :eek:

Only handfull of men have went under 2 minutes, about 4 under 1.59, 2nd best all-time over 2 seconds slower :(

Cilla
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Oh I forgot Hanna-Maria :D Congrats to her! She seems like a really sweet girl :) And whoever wanted to know (I'm too lazy to read back :o), Jenny Thompson is 30 :)

Smart
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Hanna-Maria :bounce: :D :woohoo: :bowdown:

Friday, Hanna-Maria Seppälä became the first Finnish woman to win a gold medal at the World Swimming Championships by taking the 100 freestyle title.

Seppälä finished in 54.37, ahead of silver medalist Jodie Henry (54.58) Australia and bronze medalist and eight-time Olympic champion Jenny Thompson of the United States (54.65).

That Phelps 200m medlay record is amazing :eek:

Only handfull of men have went under 2 minutes, about 4 under 1.59, 2nd best all-time over 2 seconds slower :(
Yeah. It was an unbelievable result.

CONGRATULATIONS HANSKI! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:54 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/3097233.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39324000/jpg/_39324773_phelps270.jpg

Phelps shatters world record

Michael Phelps moved closer to superceding Ian Thorpe as the world's best swimmer after a stunning night at the World Championships in Barcelona.
The 18-year-old American destroyed the world record in the 200m individual medley as he relegated Thorpe to second in their much-anticipated showdown.

And that performance came less than an hour after he had broken the 100m butterfly world record in the semi-finals, a mark that had been set moments earlier by Ukrainian Andrii Serdinov.

The Baltimore native is the first swimmer in history to break two world records in two different individual events on the same day.

"I'm excited for sure," Phelps said. "After the 100 fly world record I was very fired up. Coming into the second one I wanted to break it again. So I just went out there and laid it on the line in the first 100 and tried to hang on.

"That first world record fired me up big time, when he hit the wall I was pretty fired up and pumped for that race."

The 100m fly record gave Phelps a world mark in his fourth different discipline. No other current male or female swimmer holds four individual records.

On Tuesday, he broke his own world record in the 200m butterfly with a time of 1:53.93.

He also holds the 400m individual medley world record, the 400 IM semi-finals and finals are Sunday on the final day of the championships.

Phelps could match Mark Spitz's seven Olympic gold medals in Athens next year as he targets gold in four individual events and three relays.

Phelps' triumph completed a highly successful evening for the American team.

Aaron Peirsol successfully defended his title over 200m backstroke, while Amanda Beard equalled the world record as she took gold in the 200m breaststroke.

But Beard's team-mate Jenny Thompson was out of luck in the 100m freestyle.

The veteran was beaten into bronze medal position by Finland's Hanna-Maria Seppala and Australia's Jodie Henry.

Britons Sarah Price and Katie Sexton both booked their places in the final of the 200m backstroke by finishing second in their semi-finals.

DutchieGirl
Jul 26th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Inkyfan, why are you happy Ian Thorpe didn't win? :confused:

It can't just be because he wins all his other races, can it? I don't think it'll be long before he is a top contender for the 100m freestyle. He already is, I suppose, with the world championships bronze medal already around his neck.

IMO, Ian does surprisingly well for all the pressure that the media place on him, as well as his own teammates. He is the anchor of all the relay teams and is always expected to win it for them. He is undoubtedly the role model and inspiration for the Australian swimming team. Michael Phelps dominates even more than Thorpe. This year alone, Phelps has clocked Top 10 times in 100m freestyle and butterfly, 200m freestyle, butterfly and backstroke, the 200m IM and the 400m IM. His pet events are the 200m butterfly and 200m IM. He does the others 'for fun.' Can you imagine? Compared to Thorpe, there is much less pressure on Phelps as the US give very little attention to their swimmers. I think Phelps will probably end up having a greater career than Thorpe if he wins Olympic Gold in Athens next year.

Elka Graham was diagnosed with low blood pressure, which was related to her heart problems. By doctors orders, she was supposed to go for a swim down to relax herself after her races. She didn't do this after the 4x200m freestyle relay as she had the medals presentation straight after. She would have been fine if she'd been given enough time to cool down after the event. She had the option to sit out the ceremony apparently, but chose to be part of the presentations to celebrate with Linda MacKenzie, Kirsten Thompson and Alice Mills. I feel so sorry for her as she had the makings of a Susie O'Neill-type career. Now it looks like she's all washed up at age 21. :sad:

Yes! I'm happy Thorpe didn't win! I don't like Thorpe...and if you didn't notice, I cheer for the Dutch swimmers!!! I do still cheer for some of the Aussies, but I just don't like Thorpe much. I'm just really sick of seeing him everywhere. Besides most Aussies love him, so I wanna be different! I prefer Pieter! Yes, Thorpe is a contender in the 100m free but he's not a sprinter, so I'm not usually surprised that he doesn't often win that event in international races! He should have swam in the 800m instead I think! The only time I cheer for Thorpe to win is if he's swimming against an American and there are no Dutchies in the race!

DutchieGirl
Jul 26th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Now...

Congrats Hanna-Maria it was really nice to see her win! There is a Finnish family sitting in front of me, so they were really happy.

Inge's doing very nicely indeed. She qualified fastest for the 50m fly final which is tonight, and this morning she qualified 2nd fastest for the 50m free semi's (which are also tonight - thank god her final is first though). Tonight will be interesting coz the mens 50m free is on too! :D Go Pieter, but he won't win it!

Fantastic
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Inkyfan, thanks for answering. ;)

I love Inge De Bruijn too. She's so cute. One of my fave swimmers. She will win the 50m butterfly easily.

---

Michael Phelps is undoubtedly the world's best swimmer this year. He eclipses Ian Thorpe in versatility. The only thing stopping him from being best of all-time is Olympic Gold and he will probably get a few next year, barring injury and illness. I hope he is being drug-tested regularly. What a freak! How many people in the world can break two swimming world records in the space of half an hour? Fucking freaky! But he's cute, so I'll overlook it just this one time. ;) :kiss:

Experimentee
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Yes! I'm happy Thorpe didn't win! I don't like Thorpe...and if you didn't notice, I cheer for the Dutch swimmers!!! I do still cheer for some of the Aussies, but I just don't like Thorpe much. I'm just really sick of seeing him everywhere. Besides most Aussies love him, so I wanna be different! I prefer Pieter! Yes, Thorpe is a contender in the 100m free but he's not a sprinter, so I'm not usually surprised that he doesn't often win that event in international races! He should have swam in the 800m instead I think! The only time I cheer for Thorpe to win is if he's swimming against an American and there are no Dutchies in the race!

I dont really like Thorpe either. I cheer for Pieter, but only bc of his looks :drool:

matthias
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:19 PM
go Hannah Stockbauer in 800meters today
you are my last hope this weekend

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 26th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Alexander Popov wins 50m freestyle :woohoo: :bounce: :bowdown:

the old master is back with a VENGENCE !!!!!!!!!!

Katy Sexton swims a storming final length to win gold in the women's 200m backstroke.

It is Britain's second gold medal of the championships following James Gibson's triumph in the men's 50m breaststroke on Wednesday.

In the men's 50m freestyle Britain's Mark Foster is beaten into second place by Russia's Alexander Popov.

In the final event of the night, the men's 100m butterfly final, 18-year-old American sensation Michael Phelps will be favourite after breaking the world record in the semi-finals.

Latest news

Men's 50m freestyle final
1. Alexander Popov
2. Mark Foster
3. Pieter van den Hoogenband

The veteran Russian Alexander Popov touches out Briton Mark Foster as he wins in a championship record of 21.92.

Women's 200m backstroke final
1. Katy Sexton
2. Margaret Hoelzer
3.Stanislava Komarova

Britain's Katy Sexton produces a storming final leg to take gold in a time of two minutes 08.74 seconds. It is Britain's second gold of the championships.

Men's 50m backstroke semi-finals
Fastest qualifier: Thomas Rupprath

Germany's Thomas Rupprath sets a championship record of 25.07. The second quickest qualifier is compatriot Steffen Driesen, three-tenths of a second behind.

Women's 50m breaststroke semi-finals
Fastest qualifier: Luo Xuejuan

Luo Xuejuan clocks 30.64, which is a championship record. Britain's Zoe Baker is the third-fastest qualifier in 31.29.

Women's 50m butterfly final
1. Inge De Bruijn
2. Jenny Thompson
3. Anna-Karin Kammerling

Holland's Inge De Bruijn breaks her own championship record, winning in 25.84 seconds from America's Jenny Thompson.

King Aaron
Jul 26th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Popov :worship: :D :)

pura-vida
Jul 26th, 2003, 06:05 PM
HANNAH STOCKBAUER MY GODDES :worship:
GO FOR GOLD IN ATHENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WORLD CHAMP - 400M 800M 1500M

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 26th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Hannah won again :woohoo: :D

Women's 800m freestyle final
1. Hannah Stockbauer 2. Diana Munz 3. Rebecca Cooke

Hannah Stockbauer edged out Munz by less than a second after a thrilling battle that saw the two locked together

Monica_Rules
Jul 26th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Well Done Katy,Mark and Rebecca!

OMG Zoe Baker.She should be doing better than that!

King Aaron
Jul 26th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Alex Lim Keng Liat qualified for the 50m backstroke semifinals! :D :) He's the fastest Asian. :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 26th, 2003, 06:29 PM
omg Phelps didnt win :eek: :lol: 100m Butterfly
in a new WR to Crocker

Monica_Rules
Jul 26th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Oh dear god!

Cilla
Jul 26th, 2003, 10:33 PM
I can't believe Michael didn't win! :eek: :( Well you can't win 'em all ;)

Well done Mark Foster :D I wasn't expecting that!

:woohoo: Katie Sexton :D Very disappointing result for Sarah Price :fiery:

Inge :worship: She is so cute & adorable :) Congrats also to Alex once again :D Rebecca Cooke & Hannah Stockbauer :D

But he's cute, so I'll overlook it just this one time.;) :kiss:
I agree with you on that point Fantastic ;)

I agree Zoe Baker should be doing better :(

SugarSkin
Jul 27th, 2003, 06:24 AM
:woohoo: HUNGARY THE WORLD CHAMPION in men's waterpolo!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bigclap:

Cilla
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Australia were disqualified in the heats of the 4x100 medley relay :devil: They won the heat with Thorpe bringing them home in 1st place but a faulty changeover put paid to their chances. Good for team GB as the Ausssies DQ meant that we qualified for the final :D

Fantastic
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Australia were disqualified in the heats of the 4x100 medley relay :devil: They won the heat with Thorpe bringing them home in 1st place but a faulty changeover put paid to their chances.

What!? The D-word! First time all championships in any race...

Oh NO! I want answers! Which swimmer did it!? The Aussies are always getting fucking D-Q'd! What the hell!? Whoever did it this time had better be cute or I won't bloody overlook it! ;) LOL. :kiss:

azza
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Whats the Medal Tally

matthias
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:46 PM
go Hannah Stockbauer in 800meters today
you are my last hope this weekend

she did it, and i was so happy
and i´m still happy about :yippee: :yeah: :bigclap: :clap2: :woohoo: :bowdown: :dance: :bounce: :worship:

Iconoclast
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Crocker was a shocker - especially for Phelps I would imagine. 50.98 - and he had never even gone lower than 52 before. Phelps went 51.10, bettered his record by 37/100, and still didn't win. Riveting.

That 1:56.04 in the 200m medley was also insane. 3.62 ahead of Thorpe in second place, 3.62 in a 200m race! Go away.

And how about Amanda Beard's 2:22.99? I liked that one, but it's sad to see how bad Agnes Kovacs has become.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 27th, 2003, 05:00 PM
me also very disappointed with Agnes :sad: :sad:
from a beaming girl who won the worlds, now couldnt do anything :sad:

and i'm mad with Eurosport :mad: no coverage this weekend :fiery:

Cilla
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:40 PM
I too am pissed with Eurosport Eggy :fiery: What was so special to dump the swimming? The Moto GP :rolleyes: give me a break pfffff.

LOL Fantastic :lol: I'm not sure of the names of the 2 that botched the changeover for the Aussies. I think it was during the 2nd/3rd changeover. The 3rd guy started his leg way before the 2nd had even finished. Really poor judgement.

Go Michael Phelps :worship: :kiss: Another gold & his 5th world record in one competition :eek: beating the 4 world records of Mark Spitz (1972 Olympics). He didn't win by that much though, the Hungarian in 2nd was really close. I think he's pretty tired now seeing as he could barely walk out of the pool ;)

The USA were awesome in the men's 400 M relay bettering their own world record by 2 seconds :eek: Crocker posted the fastest fly split in history by swimming 50.39 :eek: That would've shattered his new world record in the 100 fly!

Really disappointed for Zoe Baker & her bronze :( She herself wasn't sure what went wrong for her at the championships :(

Cilla
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Congrats to Inge on another gold :yeah:

Also congrats to David Davies on a great 4th place in the 1500 free :D

Stars of the Championships: Alex Popov-The comeback king :worship: Michael Phelps-Teenage sensation :worship: Jenny Thompson :worship: How many medals did she win here :eek: 2 gold, 2 silver & a bronze :eek: Is that right? She now owns the most ever world championship medals at 14 :eek: Hannah Stockbauer-Fantastic :worship:

Cilla
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Whats the Medal Tally

http://www.fina.org/bcn03_swimmingmedals.html

Britain came 6th :eek: Shocking. All in all a very successful campaign for Britain :D

Bring on Athens ;)

Monica_Rules
Jul 27th, 2003, 11:48 PM
WOW Amazing job from the british swimmers!

After getting no medals in Sydney they have certainly got themselves together!

Its kinda funny tha Swimming is now doing better than Athletics.I doubt if GBR will win more than 3 medals in the athletics world championships.And Athens will prob be worse!:rolleyes:

Kirt12255
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:57 AM
:wavey: Woohoo!!! Yay Hackett!!!...brilliant swim....I wish there was someone to challenge him to faster times though.

I soooo can't wait for athens!!! :wavey:

Did anyone else see that Chineese Swimmer collapse after the 100 Medley relay final? I thought she was dying :eek:

Fantastic
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Yeah, the Chinese swimmer had her eyes closed and she was breathing hard. All of a sudden, her chest stopped moving and her eyes opened slowly like she had carked it. I think it was Zhou Yafei?

Incidentally, in the Men's medley relay, Crocker went 50 seconds again in his leg - the fastest ever for butterfly - proving his 100m win wasn't a fluke. Piersol also clocked the second-fastest ever backstroke leg in the relay.

I found out who stuffed up the Aussie relay. It was bloody Jim Piper! But he's cute, so he's forgiven. ;)

National Trials for the Aussies next. Ian Thorpe and Grant Hackett will make it. They are the proven champions of the Australian swim team. Looking forward to the crop of young girls going from strength to strength - Liesel Jones, Jodie Henry, Lisbeth Lenton and Alice Mills. Best of luck to Scott Miller, Michael Klim and Simon Cowley. Hurry back Petria Thomas, and Sarah Ryan if you're returning to swimming. Fingers crossed for Elka Graham. Let's hope Matt Welsh, Brooke Hanson, Jennifer Reilly, Felicity Galvez, Giaan Rooney, Amanda Pascoe, Jessica Abbott, Jessicah Schipper, Ashley Callus, Todd Pearson, Geoff Huegill, Brett Hawke, Nicholas Sprenger, Craig Stevens, Josh Watson, Jim Piper, Travis Nederpelt and Justin Norris can also put in some good performances.

After that, it's Athens!

DutchieGirl
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:10 PM
:worship: :kiss: Inge!!! :kiss: :worship:

Cilla
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:34 PM
I'm missing the swimming :sad:

I can't wait until Athens :bounce: