PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses : help needed!

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:32 PM
How do you put those goddamn things in and how do you take them back out? :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

I have these soft lenses for a good while now and I still haven't mastered the trick to put them in or take them out. The Ophtalmologist told me it wouldn't be easy cause apparently I have small and not very protruding eyes. Mix that with my impatient nature and you get :fiery:.

I have less problems with my left eye though, it's far more cooperative than the right one. ;)

So does anyone have some tips or tricks for me?

Barrie_Dude
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:34 PM
How do you put those goddamn things in and how do you take them back out? :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

I have these soft lenses for a good while now and I still haven't mastered the trick to put them in or take them out. The Ophtalmologist told me it wouldn't be easy cause apparently I have small and not very protruding eyes. Mix that with my impatient nature and you get :fiery:.

I have less problems with my left eye though, it's far more cooperative than the right one. ;)

So does anyone have some tips or tricks for me?Best Solution For You Might Be Laser Surgery!

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:44 PM
I thought about it but someone (slap@Susie) told me some horrible stories so I'm not very keen to have surgery.

The Crow
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:45 PM
O o I want to here the horrible stories :bounce: :bounce:

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Well it seems like you can smell the laser burning your eyes... :eek:

The Crow
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Wtf :eek: :eek: *note to self: never NEVER get eye surgery*

So what do eyes smell like? :confused:

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:58 PM
LMAO at the laser surgery stories! Urban legends I say. :p

I know a lot of people who had laser surgery and are really happy with the result. I never heard any of those stories. ;)

Luna_Angel_84
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:03 PM
I just got my monthlies last week and here's what I do.

Putting them in- I just hold up my eyelid by the base of the lashes with my second finger on my left hand and hold down the bottom one with the middle finger of my right hand and plonk the damn thing right onto my eye with the second finger of my right hand (sorry, I don't know the technical terms for fingers! ;)). Mind you, it's still a little hit or miss, esp. with my left eye. Just make sure it's moist etc and always use a mirror and try to look straight ahead and don't turn your eye.

Taking it out- look straight ahead, set your finger on the lens and roll your eye up so the lens goes onto the while of your eye. Then squeeze it with the pads of your fingers and it should just squidge out. Well it works for me anyway cos usually it's too dry to just squidge it straight out.

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Luna's technique looks just like mine and it's the way I have been shown to do it. It can be difficult at first, but you will get use to it with some practice and like a lot of other things, you will do it automatically.

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:16 PM
I use the same method to put them in but I'm still too much of a wuss to plonk it straight in lol. Besides, my eyelashes get in the way all the time. :rolleyes:

Hmm I have to try that method to take them out.

Luna_Angel_84
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Jesus, how long are your eyelashes? If you hold them right at the base then it should be okay although they do slip out of your grip sometimes. So much bloody hassle although I guess they're worth it cos I like being able to see without my damn glasses. :p

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:19 PM
I use the same method to put them in but I'm still too much of a wuss to plonk it straight in lol. Besides, my eyelashes get in the way all the time. :rolleyes:

Hmm I have to try that method to take them out.
Don't be afraid to open your eyes wider and your lashes won't get in the way. :p

You will get use to the feeling of putting them in. Now, I can move my lenses with my finger whenever they feel uncomfortable.

azza
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Ok

to Put it in: Put your eye up get it on the white part of your eye and when u think u have got it in put ur eye down and shut ur eye if it didnt work do it again

Take it out: get ur fingers ight in ur eyes and pull them out with ur nails

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Well, like I said, I have small eyes so I can't open them very wide.

You should see me in front of the mirror trying to put them in. By the time I have decided I will go for it, my eye starts itching, I have to wink and the lenses end up against the mirror or in the sink. :o

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Ok

to Put it in: Put your eye up get it on the white part of your eye and when u think u have got it in put ur eye down and shut ur eye if it didnt work do it again

Take it out: get ur fingers ight in ur eyes and pull them out with ur nails

*Ahem*

I do want to keep my eyes you know....

azza
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:26 PM
hahahahahahahahaha thats how u do it

Luna_Angel_84
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Eurgh, you ain't supposed to use your nails cos you'll rip them. :p I had to chop off my nails for bloody getting them. :o

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:27 PM
pull them out with ur nails

Did you really mean with your nails!? :eek:

azza
What i mean is get right in ur eye and pull them out

Poe
oh dont be a pussy and just put them in

azza
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:30 PM
lol @ Poe

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:31 PM
To remove, as Luna said, you just squeeze them with your thumb and your index... With soft lenses, it's really easy.

controlfreak
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Does anybody here eat their used disposable contact lenses? I once heard a story about someone who did.

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Well... that must be something of a meal! :rolleyes:

azza
:o lol :o

Josh
To remove, as Luna said, you just squeeze them with your thumb and your index... With soft lenses, it's really easy.

Well it's not easy for me. :p

They seem to be glued to my eye...freakin' things :mad:

*:smash:@Poe*

azza
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:37 PM
lol

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Don't be a pussy and just take them off. :p

Luna_Angel_84
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:39 PM
They're probably a bit dry or something, just blink a lot or watch some mushy film to wet them up a bit. :p

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Don't be a pussy and just take them off. :p

Don't be a smartass and just :tape: ! :p

They're probably a bit dry or something, just blink a lot or watch some mushy film to wet them up a bit.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Like that?

arn
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Hehe, it's soooooooooo easy once you know how to do it, but especialy you have to STOP BEING AFRAID!!!! Before I had my lenses I didn't dare touching my eyes, now I do it without problems :) Especially taking them out is easy, just go straight to your eye till you feel your 2 fingers and squeeze :D I now even manage to put them in without a mirror :D

Already 'lost' your lense behind your eye?? I had a couple of times. Then you really have to look for it :D

azza
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Mine feel Unco in the mornings lol

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Oh that sounds like fun, looking for a lost lense in your eye. :o

arn
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:06 PM
well, it just itches a bit and it's annoying, you know the damn thing is there because you feel it and you just cannot find it.

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Argh, this thread was not intended to put me off lenses! :mad:

:p

arn
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Argh, this thread was not intended to put me off lenses! :mad:

:p

And ever had.....

sorry, did you say anything??? :p ;)

Fieke
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:51 PM
I need new glasses and I was considering getting lenses because I need my glasses more often now than I used to, but after reading all this, I think I will go for a nice new pair of flashy glasses instead of lenses :o

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 11:28 PM
I need new glasses and I was considering getting lenses because I need my glasses more often now than I used to, but after reading all this, I think I will go for a nice new pair of flashy glasses instead of lenses :o

Exactly my thoughts!
If my eyes won't cooperate by the end of this week I will treat them to a nice pair of glasses. :cool:

Julian
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Josh there's nothing to it! It just needs a little bit of practice. Actually IMO it's different for everyone and how well they adapt to it.

For me I just got my contacts last friday and it only took the eye doctor about 15 minutes to show me how to put the contact in. I got lots of "praise" from all the doctors there lol and said I was born to have them..dont want to brag though. ;) Now at home sometimes I get irritated if I cant put them in (especially if I'm in a hurry) but all you need is patience and confidence. It's been my 5th day now and it only takes me about 5 minutes to take them out and same for putting them in. Actually for me CLEANING them takes longer then trying to put them in lol! But anyway it's different for everyone but remember to be patient and pretend that you saw something shocking so you can open your eyes as wide as possible lol that's what I do ;) Always remember to have your eyes moistened (it's nice to have some eye drops in handy) and I'd say the best ways is what Luna said earlier.

Right now I'm really enjoying contacts and also try to have fun with it! :) For me though it takes a while to get used to it especially in the morning but later in the day it feels like I'm not even wearing it. The thing is though I have to have toric (spelling?) lenses because the shape of my eye are as they say "footballs" lol but anyway hope you get it going some day and good luck!! :)

Carolina Girl
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:28 AM
josh don't give up..when i first got mine, i can't tell you how many times it took to put them in at first, because my eyes were the kind that didn't like to have things touching them, but after like about a week, i could put them in no prob, the easiest thing for me to begin with was to take them out!

arn
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:19 AM
nah, don't give up, it's very practical when playing sports, going out,.... and once you are used to it, putting them in takes about 30 sec and taking them out 10 sec :)

Carolina Girl
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:25 AM
yeah and it doesn't even take me 30 seconds to put them in any longer..and i can put them in without a mirror and take em out like that too no prob, my only prob, is if i sleep in em, my eyes get really dry, and they feel like they are stuck , but i just put some rewettin drops in and go on through the day!

Sam L
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Um... maybe you should contact your optometrist cause this isn't one of those things you can help whilst on the internet and from thousands of miles away. :o

If anything though, my only advice is the key is in blinking. Put it in quickly and start blinking straight away to get the lens settled.

AjdeNate!
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Just let your boyfriend (that'd be me Jurgen ;) ) help you out in person. Together we could do it, ya know? :devil:

sunnysideup
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:40 AM
It took me two hours to put on contact lenses on my first try. My eyes were burning red.:mad:

It was never easy but I never give up and soon as I get used to it, it's as simple as making my tea.;)

It's important that a friend of yours could demonstrate it personally to you. This would sure help.

The Crow
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Already 'lost' your lense behind your eye??

:confused: Behind your eye? :confused:

arn
Jul 16th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Yeah, well, not completely behind your eye ofcourse but soo much somewhere on the top (folded) that you cannot see it anymore. Once I walked around with it for hours because I could not find it.

The Crow
Jul 16th, 2003, 03:35 PM
:eek: lmao, people who wear contacts sure are strange...

Kanji
Jul 16th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Yeah, well, not completely behind your eye ofcourse but soo much somewhere on the top (folded) that you cannot see it anymore. Once I walked around with it for hours because I could not find it.
This happened to me a few times too. However, I never had to search hours for it! :p Usually, I only pull my eyelid, roll my eye and it will go back to is regular place by itself.

Experimentee
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:03 PM
I heard that when you have contacts in you cant close your eyes for long or they'll get stuck...makes me not want to get contacts :o

Kanji
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:11 PM
I heard that when you have contacts in you cant close your eyes for long or they'll get stuck...makes me not want to get contacts :o
False, certain type of lenses can be worn all night. As for mine, my optometrist told me that I can sleep with them once in a while if I can't remove them. It's a matter of keeping them clean you know. This is when you don't care about cleaning them carefully that you can hurt your eyes.

The Crow
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Kanji, defender of contacts :D

Kanji
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Kanji, defender of contacts :D
LOL! Indeed! I couldn't leave without contacts anymore unless I had laser surgery.

Josh
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:09 PM
I think I've officially given up now. Tried to put them in earlier today but I couldn't so I'm gonna give it one more try and then I'll flush them through the toilet. :D

Kanji
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:16 PM
I think I've officially given up now. Tried to put them in earlier today but I couldn't so I'm gonna give it one more try and then I'll flush them through the toilet. :D
No, eat them, you could tell us about it. :p

Brαm
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:09 PM
No, eat them, you could tell us about it. :p
LMAO!! :D:D

Gosh, Jürgen, you sound like my mum :eek: :o
She was screaming and trembling when she once tried to put them in :o
Well, she has glasses again now ;) :yeah:

Sam L
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Even for the ones that you're not supposed to sleep in, it's still ok if you sleep in them. The only thing is that they might get stuck behind your eye balls. :o This happened to a friend of mine once and she had to cry real hard, and the lenses eventually come out. :o She was part of the crying was real fear that it might be permanently stuck behind her eye balls. LOL!

Hagar
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:47 PM
I have tried contacts myself and it just ain't the right thing for me. Since you are in your twenties, I would really consider laser surgery. I have only heard good things about it.
I have thought about it myself but I have to say that the very thought of someone cutting in my eye is too spooky for me. I also think I am too old for it.

Car Key Boi
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:52 PM

So does anyone have some tips or tricks for me?

i feel yuo bro, i could never get on with those fucking things

i'm back to being a four eyed tard http://carkeyboi.com/dump/punchballs.gif

gentenaire
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Jurgen, don't you have one of those 'zuignapkes'? My eldest brother, who's almost blind without glasses or contacts uses that. It's hard to grab something you can't see, my brother can hardly see the lens, it works better with that 'zuignapke'.

And don't be scared of laser surgery. My second brother had it done and he's very happy with the result.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Josh, if your eyes are too small for soft lenses, you might consider to have 'hard lenses'. i have them and they are much much much smaller. They're quite easy to put in, and to get them out I use the 'zuignapke', were Tine was refering to. Very easy.

The Crow
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:36 PM
No-one knows the English term for zuignapke then? :p

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:09 PM
:o my dictionary says, zuignapje = sucker :angel:

gentenaire
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Whoa, interesting new Flemish swear word! 'Gij zuignapke!!'

arn
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:33 PM
mmm, and how much is it you have to pay for this laser-surgery?? Is it payed back by the social security?

The Crow
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:36 PM
I don't think it's payed back in Belgium, arn.

gentenaire
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:40 PM
You've got the pay the full price, health insurance doesn't cover laser surgery. My parents helped my brother with the costs because it's not something he can help, is it? He wanted the operation because as a fireman, the glasses would often get in the way, it was especially annoying when wearing pressure masks.

duck
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Don't give up on your lenses. It used to take me about 20 minutes to get both in. Push down your lower lid with one finger and pull the upper lid right off your eye and let the lens almost drop off the tip of the index finger of your other hand onto your eye. Then shut your eye tight for a few seconds until it settles into position. This does work. If you are taking them out, look straight ahead and your lens will be in the centre of your eye. Then put your finger on it, gently edge to towards the corner of your eye (get it onto the white) and just pinch it up off your eye. You may want to pull your lids (upper and lower) back from your eyeball. It sounds awful and you will poke yourself in the eye a few times but it does work.

My opthamologist is completely opposed to laser treatment. She sees it as a purely cosmetic operation (unless there is a very specific reason) and of all the short-sighted ophthamologists and eye-surgeons she knows only one has ever had it done and that was on one eye only.That includes surgeons who are carrying out the treatment. Keep trying with the contacts!

arn
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:47 PM
I don't think it's payed back in Belgium, arn.

That's what I was thinking 2....

arn
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:49 PM
You've got the pay the full price, health insurance doesn't cover laser surgery. My parents helped my brother with the costs because it's not something he can help, is it? He wanted the operation because as a fireman, the glasses would often get in the way, it was especially annoying when wearing pressure masks.

If I want to do it, I'm sure I will have to pay the full amount myself. And do you have an idea about what it costs, because I totally have no clue at all (€500,1000, 1500,....)???

arn
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Probably the costs change depending on how serious the problem with your eyes is?

Tennisace
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:48 PM
My turn to give advice, Uncle :D

I've had contacts for almost two years, and I've never had problems. First of all the reason you're having problems putting them in is you have yet to learn how to control your blinking. This is what I do:

1. Put the contact on your index finger on whichever hand you feel more comfortable. I use my right hand.
2. Now here comes the fun part. With your left hand, use your middle finger to pull the top part of your eyelid. The palm of your hand should be resting on your forhead/the front part of your hair. Meanwhile, the middle finger of the right hand (which has the contact on the index finger) you use that to pull the bottom part of your eyelid.
3. You might want to practice doing this a couple times before you actually pick up the contact to get the hang of it.
4. The key thing about putting contacts in is to make sure you look straight and place the contact right on top of the eye, not to the side or below it.
5. So with my middle fingers opening up my eye, slowly move your finger toward your eye and keep on moving it closer until the outer portions of the contact come in contact with the eye. Once the eye and contact meet you should be able to slowly remove your index finger from the vicinity of the eyeball and the contact should transfer from your finger to the eye.
6. If you remove your finger too fast, or the contact is lopsided on your finger, it won't go in.

To take them out, use the same hand positions. If you have dry eyes like me, the contact tends to dry on the eye...so you have to moisten your eyes either from tears or eyedrops. What I do though is with the index finger I start at the upper corner of the contact (the part near the nose) and apply a little pressure and drag the contact...this should cause the contact to remove itself from the eye and then you use your thumb to help completely remove it.

I hope that helps :D *eskimo kiss*

Tennisace
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Oh and make sure your hands are clean :D

Josh
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:51 PM
I swear I can't open my eyes wide enough. The edge of the lense always touches my eyelid. Hard lenses might be a solution but frankly it's way too much hassle. I thought lenses would be easy but they are far more time consuming than glasses. Yoy have to put them in, take them out, clean them, order new ones in time, lalalala. With glasses you don't have to think about all that really, just clean them from time to time.

Glasses rule :cool:
Lenses suck! :spit:

Josh
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:00 PM
At least I now know what Bausch & Lomb is.

Josh
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Guess what...

I'm wearing my contacts folks! I've been trying all day to put them in, well not continuously but for a large part of the day, and I finally managed to do it.
Damn contacts, I've been meaning to throw them away ever since the first day but I guess persistence pays off in the end.

We'll talk again when I manage to take them out....

Josh
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:28 PM
It took me 5 minutes to take them out. Was about bloody time after all these weeks of trying! :rolleyes:

Yay for me! :woohoo:

RainyDays
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:44 PM
At least I now know what Bausch & Lomb is.

LMAO when I first got contacts and the bottle of saline said bausch and lomb i was like 'whoa! thats a tennis tournament!'

yep, i crack myself up. :lol:

Dahveed
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Oh josh your lenses adventures were particularly entertaining! Such an achievement, i'm proud of you! :D

Brαm
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Hooray hooray for Josh "Jürgen" Salad Aladdin :D :bounce::bounce:

:kiss:

Josh
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM
LMAO when I first got contacts and the bottle of saline said bausch and lomb i was like 'whoa! thats a tennis tournament!'

yep, i crack myself up. :lol:

Bausch & Lomb rule!

I'm allowed to say that now. :D

Josh
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Thank you Dahveed! :kiss:

Hey Bram! Don't call me salad. *slap*
Wanna go out with me now that i have lenses? :o ;)

Dahveed
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Why? Do you need someone to hold your hand? I thought you could see now! :p

Poe
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:54 PM
really subtle josh :o

Brαm
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Thank you Dahveed! :kiss:

Hey Bram! Don't call me salad. *slap*

Is that last sentence for ME? :eek::o

Josh
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Odh sowrryee, I tzook mly leùns¨es omut...I cann't seie wh]a[t I'm weriting/

Dahveed
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Josh stop flirting you contact lenses slut! Bram is in love with a fox!

Brαm
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Josh stop flirting you contact lenses slut! Bram is in love with a fox!
I am, and you don't want to make a fox angry :devil: ;)