PDA

View Full Version : Languages you wish to speak

selesrulez
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:36 AM
I wish I could speak Cantonese.
I also wish to speak Japanese as I love Japanese cartoons and animes.
I also wish to speak Korean as I have many Korean friends.
I also wish to speak Russian so that I could understand when Anna curses in Russian.

Dahveed
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Flemish cos i have loads of Flemish friends ;)
Russian or some Eastern country's language would be nice too.

Cersei
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Norwegian...cause it sounds so cute
Swedish...same as above
Russian...sounds sexy :drool:
Italian..just because
and many more

selesrulez
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Would be nice if you listed the reasons!!

Emola
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Spanish and Italian because they are two places I will visit when I am older. I have a friend in Italy who I want to see and my friend in England is taking me on holiday with her in Barcelona soon. Plus they both sound very fluent and beautiful.

schris
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Italian, Spanish, French

fresh2flash
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:47 AM
I`d like to learn two more languages - Spanish and Italian. It would be great.

Jordan.
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Russian - Because Russia rules.

Sam L
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:57 AM
German - cause a lot of Science journals are written in it. It's only second to English. I also like Germany, Austria and Switzerland a lot.

Rothes
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:59 AM
I would actually learn a language that was meaningful to me in someway and if I was going to use it in my career/Travels.

Ones I know are German, Helvetic, English

Im learning Japanese at the moment through English.

In a few years I might consider spanish, because of it's international diversity and is spoken in alot of countries in different continents, ie: Spain, South America, Philipines etc and also because it is strongly related to Latin.

and if I want to get into Banking/Business I would learn another Asian Language particulary that of the Dialect of Mandarin, because it's the most populous language and that China is opening up to a free market, making great career oppitunities.

Languages that would be good to learn the bear necessities of would be Dutch, Italian, French.

Chelra
Jul 15th, 2003, 12:09 PM
hebrew :D
2 impress some1 :p

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Japanese, without any doubt. One day, I will. ;)

Roxers
Jul 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM
i wish i could speak

RUSSIAN
Spanish
Italien
Swedish
Korean

ghosts
Jul 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM
1. French
2. Italian
3. Swedish (NOR, NED, ICE) whateva

Andy_
Jul 15th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Apart from my own language (Italian) I'm ok with English and Spanish which are without a doubt among the most widely spoken languages around the world... so now I'd like to learn a language that is spoken just in some smaller area, as Swedish, or Finnish, or maybe something very unusual, exotic... for the sake of speaking a language few people can speak :wavey:

Sammm
Jul 15th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Russian- I've heard it's a tough language to learn and I want to challenge myself
Spanish- becuase practically the whole of South America speaks it and it will be useful.

I also want to go to uni and be able to fluently speak the two languages I'm learning at the moment. (French, German)

Cariaoke
Jul 15th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Wish I could speak Spanish... I can write it, kind of.
French
Italian
Cantonese

Ting
Jul 15th, 2003, 01:56 PM
I wish I could speak German...I know a few words, but when I don't use it I just forget them all!
And I would like to learn French and Dutch:)

And...I wish I spoke good English.

DunkMachine
Jul 15th, 2003, 01:59 PM
French because of their great hiphop
Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese)
Japanese just to be cool
And Akan because it's probably the language of my Ghanian ancestors

Viva
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:05 PM
German
Russian
Finnish (so I could show up my friend)
Italian

and

French

DunkMachine
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:07 PM
I can teach you finnish. If you meet a cute finnish guy say "vittu" it means hello but in a very sweet way :drool:

Viva
Jul 15th, 2003, 04:07 PM
I can teach you finnish. If you meet a cute finnish guy say "vittu" it means hello but in a very sweet way :drool:

Really? Hee hee, I'm gonna use it...

Unless of course you're lying and it really means "f*ck me" :eek: - but I know you wouldn't do that right? ;)

Alberto
Jul 15th, 2003, 04:38 PM
1. Italian
2. German

King Aaron
Jul 15th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Japanese
Swedish
Spanish
French

DunkMachine
Jul 15th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Really? Hee hee, I'm gonna use it...

Unless of course you're lying and it really means "f*ck me" :eek: - but I know you wouldn't do that right? ;)

I dunno, what do you look like? ;)

Central
Jul 15th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Russian, German, Italian, French, Japanese. :o

irma
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:03 PM
french

decemberlove
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:13 PM
all the ancient languages really interest me.

latin and sanskrit esp.

Barrie_Dude
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:16 PM
French and Italian, the languages of love!

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Arabic
Turkish
Hebrew
Swahili

Greek
Russian

Kanji
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Arabic
Turkish
Hebrew

Greek
Russian
I think you speak enough languages already Josh. :worship:

Princess Fiona
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Hungarian. It is too hot to explain why right now... :cool: ;)

controlfreak
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:44 PM
I think I'll stop after I've mastered English, French, German, Luxembourgish, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Swedish and Japanese. Learning any more than that would just be overkill really ;)

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Japanese, for manga and all the hot chicks they have there.

azza
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Maltese

Martian Mel
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:34 PM
I would love to speak Norwegian and Spanish!

mousee
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:35 PM
i can speak many languages...
but i want to speak ANIMAL language

Seles_Beckham
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Arabic and Turkish

Messenger
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:41 PM
Hungarian. It is too hot to explain why right now... :cool: ;)

I've always been fascinated by Hungarian. It's a unique language that is surrounded by languages that aren't in the least bit related to it. (Hungarians are originally from Asia.)

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:44 PM
I think you speak enough languages already Josh. :worship:

One can never speak enough languages. ;)

I'm gonna add Chinese to my list too. :scratch:

antonella
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Nobody has mentioned Portuguese... :confused:

This has to be the prettiest sounding Romance language, although
sometimes it sounds like Spanish spoken underwater.

Poe
Jul 15th, 2003, 11:52 PM
latin

Messenger
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:11 AM

This has to be the prettiest sounding Romance language, although
sometimes it sounds like Spanish spoken underwater.

To me it sounds like soft nasal Spanish ;)

treufreund
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Would like to perfect my German, Russian, Spanish and French. In addition would like to know Afrikaans/Dutch/Flemish, Icelandic, Portuguese, Polish, Czech, Chinese, Arabic. But that is just way too many!

Stacy_zam
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Russian - because the sounds they produce are very enchanting
Spanish - a lot of people speak now a days
Ancient Egyptian - its a very complicated language and I want to learn it

Megli
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:18 AM
All scandinavian languages and spanish.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:39 AM
spanish(i wish i could speak it fluently)cuz i took spanish in high school and did pretty well there. havent spoken in a long time soihave lost touch.

french, cuz there are loads of french hotties and french food rocks.

hindi cuz i go to india a lot, and i'd like to be able to understand a hindi movie completely without having to read the subtitles.

and chinese(cantonese, mandarin anything) cuz i only know the swear words.

propi
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:20 AM
I wish I could speak more German and Arabic, Russian and Chinese or Japanese

JonBcn
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:23 AM
I *will* get round to learning:

German, cos I recently moved to switzerland so i have to really ;)
Italian, cos I like the sounds and I know Spanish and they complement each other well
Arabic, cos I used to live in the middle east and have always loved the sound of the language.

salima
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:06 AM
I wish :angel:
My russian was better
I wish I could speak ;)
turkish/Uzbek
Gaelic
Arabic
and
The language of the animals in the forest and in the lakes and rivers ;)

Vincent
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:44 AM
I am really impressed by quite many of you here would love to learn Chinese. Let me tell you, Chinese is a crazy language, probably 5 times harder than English....so, if you are interested, i can teach you some :p

To be honest, i wish i could speak all languages in this world for obvious reason. ;)

Princess Fiona
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:26 AM
I've always been fascinated by Hungarian. It's a unique language that is surrounded by languages that aren't in the least bit related to it. (Hungarians are originally from Asia.)

Really? :) Thanks for the info... :) (Or in Hungarian, Köszönöm!! ;) ) I have a friend in Budapest and I would just love to go there... I also had a dream about Budapest a few nights ago... *sigh* :hearts: I've picked up a little bit of Hungarian from the Travlang site...

Jó napot!! Hogy hívnak? * Szía!!

* I THINK this is "How are you" - I should have checked before posting here... :o dooooh@ myself... *blush* ;)

White Stripes
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:30 AM
-Italian!!! cause it's the most beautiful language on earth

- russian, cause it sounds so nice, and i want to talk to mikhail youzhny in russian ;)

Viva
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Oooo I wanna learn Gaelic too! Very pretty.

BasicTennis
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:23 PM
German & Croatian only because (ARD & HRT3)these are the channels I get coverage for Wimbledon.:o i could only blame eurosport Int'l for this.:scratch:

Shine On Silver Moon
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:58 PM
I do speak Javanese (Um a Javanese, one of many tribes in Indonesia), Indonesian (our unification language), English, Russian & Japanese! :cool:

I wish I could speak... :lol: French - I just love French paintings! ;)

Portuguese - what a beautiful language and I love BRAZIL!!! :kiss:

Spanish - such a lively and friendly language coz I love Hispanic people! :) Aribaaa! :p

Chinese - coz everywhere I go, I can meet Chinese people! :eek:

Thai - I love Thai culture so much!!! :wavey:

Italian - I love Italian culture, too! Crazy people! :lol: :kiss:

Vincent
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:35 PM
I do speak Javanese (Um a Javanese, one of many tribes in Indonesia), Indonesian (our unification language), English, Russian & Japanese! :cool:

I wish I could speak... :lol: French - I just love French paintings! ;)

Portuguese - what a beautiful language and I love BRAZIL!!! :kiss:

Spanish - such a lively and friendly language coz I love Hispanic people! :) Aribaaa! :p

Chinese - coz everywhere I go, I can meet Chinese people! :eek:

Thai - I love Thai culture so much!!! :wavey:

Italian - I love Italian culture, too! Crazy people! :lol: :kiss:
Really? :eek: :lol:

moogle san
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:44 PM
uuuf, there are a lot...
I hope my japanese and swedish will improve a little bit in the next few months :) ...depends on me :angel:
And i'd like to learn another romanic language besides spanish when i find the time to do so...
but i can't decide which :confused: portuguese or italian? french would just need a lil' refreshment i hope... :)

And Slovak would be great :bounce:

korben
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Ummm, no it doesn´t. It means fuck in finnish or to be specific ****. Used a lot in here anyway, haven´t seen finnish teen yet whose every other word isn´t vittu :rolleyes:

kku
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Languages I know: English, Korean.

Languages I'd like to learn: Mandarin (so I can speak to my mother's family more) and Japanese.

Languages I won't care to learn: German (I was scarred for life from THAT in high school), French (the words sound awfully difficult to pronounce) and Italian (seems a bit too fast. IMO, my tongue would go dry after the first few lessons :eek: )

Colin B
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:46 PM

I'm may start lessons in Portuguese soon. I'm trying to find a plot of land with a building that needs renovation, preferably in a hot European country. All the nicest/most affordable ones seem to be in Portugal.

Callie20
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:51 PM
It would be nice to learn Chinese, and since I already know some Spanish, maybe French and Swahili. :)

Fieke
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Finnish - because I love Scandinavia. I already know Danish and a bit of Norwegian and Swedish, so Finnish is next on my list :)
Welsh - because I've been to Wales in June and it sounded really cool
Chinese - because I have met some really cool Chinese people this year

King Satan
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:13 PM
italian

dubro
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:48 PM
well done king snake :D

me:
jap
chinese
deutsch

antonella, sei italiana???

korben
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Viva
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Ummm, no it doesn´t. It means fuck in finnish or to be specific ****. Used a lot in here anyway, haven´t seen finnish teen yet whose every other word isn´t vittu :rolleyes:

I knew it! Ha! I knew I should never trust anyone!

RYNJ
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Japanese is a pain to learn!!!!!! Kanji... the horror!!

beauty_is_pink
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:39 AM
-italian
-slovak
-french [even tho we're forced to take french here in Canada.. i still cant say byound.. 'bonjour' and 'je mappele' :o
-russian
-japanese

man... i wish i knew ALL the languages! lol then it would be sooo cool to talk and understand what everyone else is saying!!!

Cassius
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:41 AM
I'd like to be able to speak French, Russian, German, and Dutch.

Princess Fiona
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Welsh - because I've been to Wales in June and it sounded really cool

Bore da Fieke, shw mae? :) I'm from Wales, but English speaking Wales... I had Welsh lessons until the age of 13... *blush* I would like to speak Welsh too!! Another language for me... :)

Fieke
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Bore da Fieke, shw mae?

Words like this are the reason why I want to know at least the basics of Welsh - how on earth do you pronounce three consonants in a row :confused: :scratch:

Ting
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Bore da Fieke, shw mae? :) I'm from Wales, but English speaking Wales... I had Welsh lessons until the age of 13... *blush* I would like to speak Welsh too!! Another language for me... :)
Welsh does not make any sense to me at all even though I have lived there for some time.

Princess Fiona
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Words like this are the reason why I want to know at least the basics of Welsh - how on earth do you pronounce three consonants in a row :confused: :scratch:

Hmmm... (I should have paid more attention to my classes... :o ) Bore da, shooe mae? I have trouble pronouncing some place names and things (but I AM pretty pathetic here... *blush* ;) ). Llanelli, Aberystwyth, there are more...

:wavey: LleytonKimRULE - nice to see someone in Wales... :)

Ting
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Hmmm... (I should have paid more attention to my classes... :o ) Bore da, shooe mae? I have trouble pronouncing some place names and things (but I AM pretty pathetic here... *blush* ;) ). Llanelli, Aberystwyth, there are more...

:wavey: LleytonKimRULE - nice to see someone in Wales... :)
:wavey:

Llanelli is where I live:) And I never know how to pronounce it:o

Princess Fiona
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Llanelli... *trying to pronounce it* ;) I do not think I have ever been there... :o (Only through it!! I have seen Llanelli train station... :) ) Yes... I remember reciting the numbers from 1 to 10 to a person from Germany and having difficulty with pronunciaton... Aaaargh... Right!! I'm gonna have Welsh lessons, ASAP!! Un, dai, tri, pedwar, pwmp, chwech... :D :) :D

gmt
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Haha, I see that Mademoiselle is in full gear ;)

All right, let's assume that my French, though declining, is still reasonably practical and that I am decently fluent at English (even though I am still flabbergasted, even flabberghasted :cool: by my weaknesses).

I must manage to improve my Vietnamese - it's my parents' language.
I am trying to learn (alone) as much Italian as I can, leaving very soon for a few days down there :)
I want to improve my Croatian, so that I can not only ask questions but understand the answers :p and have a grasp of how the language is really spoken. (And yes, the basic reason is that I felt in love with that country a few years ago.)
Once my Croatian gets reasonably fluent, I'll turn to Slovene, Polish, possibly Russian.
Turkish is a very nice and intellectually challenging language. Hopefully I won't stop at the basics I learnt last year. I'll also go to Greece sooner or later and have to dig into elleniki. Ancient Greek might not be very useful nowadays, and anyway I have forgotten virtually all of what I learnt at school.
I have to brush up my German, which is a language used by deep thinkers and, obviously, by many classical musicians.
I have forgotten most of the Chinese I learnt ten years ago, and this is nonsense, since the language is historically important and is spoken by quite a few people ;)
Romanian is a must, I know many Romanians and some of them are dear friends, all of them are very lovely people. Their country looks captivating as well.
I want to learn Lithuanian, even though it is such a tough nut to crack, and not just because I am mentioned in a Lithuanian book :D A bit of Latvian wouldn't harm, either.
Also, Hungarian is a language I want to speak. A dear friend gave me a textbook and tapes years ago and I still haven't been past the first 15 lessons or so :o
I like the way Portuguese sounds projected and restrained in turn, and Portugal attracts me a lot, maybe even more than Brazil right now.
Hebrew and Arabic. If I haven't time to start Arabic seriously, I'll at least try to learn some more Maltese (I hardly know how to count and a dozen words).
Swedish is special and I love to pronounce it, so surely I'll try to learn a bit beyond the basics some day.
Dutch - well, no need to explain.
Spanish, Spain is so beautiful and I want to be able to talk with Latin Americans as well. I've learnt a very small bit of Catalan too, it sounds a bit weird but I find it fun, and Barcelona is such a fascinating city - I only wish I hadn't heard merely Spanish last time I went there!
My Welsh has undergone no improvement whatsoever in the last ten years and this is a shame.
Hmmm, I'd love to learn a few other Asian languages too. A bit of Japanese, so that I can at least trade a couple of thoughts with the average Japanese tourist ;) Some Korean - at least the alphabet, which shouldn't take too long. Some Thai. Definitely Hindi, or Bengali.
Also, Swahili might be my first choice among African languages, but the ones I am really attracted to would be Yoruba and Amhara.

Now, the real answer to the question is - all languages.

gmt
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Argh, I forgot Bulgarian, Persian, Georgian, Quechua, Basque, Icelandic, Finnish and Estonian,... (Did I say all languages?)
I didn't explain why Lithuanian. Lithuania has a strikingly original culture. Besides, I know quite a few musicians over there.
Hungary has always attracted me, first of all because of its exotic language, but now because Budapest, even though I've never been there, looks like a highly liv(e)able and lov(e)able city, and Balaton looks great, too. (There was a beautiful picture of Miskolc in the Hungarian thread some time ago, as well.)

andylover_16
Jul 18th, 2003, 02:33 PM
french and japanese.........but i want to have a british accent too!!! :)

korben
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:33 PM

Klah-nekh-li´ ?

propi
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:39 PM
:worship:@ gmt
But for Spain if you can speak Spanish you'll survive, most of us can't speak a single word of Catalonian nor Basque anyway.

gmt
Jul 18th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Hehe, I know, but I'd like to learn some all the same ;)
korben, actually the Welsh "ll" is a single sound. The tongue is supposed to be roughly in the same position as for an "l", but then one hisses (or blows) instead of moving the tongue towards the teeth and/or the palate. "kh'l" or "th'l" or "tl" are only approximations - and I never managed to pronounce the real sound properly so far :o

Mazza
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I want to be more fluent in Thai so that I can speak to my family more rather than sitting like a lemon! :o

I'd also like to learn Dutch and Japanese.

Oizo
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:33 PM
I'd like to speak (British) English. :)

Ting
Jul 19th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Klah-nekh-li´ ?
close but not exactly right:)

Messenger
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:38 AM
So what are all the languages spoken in Spain? I can think of Castilian Spanish, Catalonian, Basque, Galician (do you consider that a dialect?) and Asturian? I'm not sure.

It's interesting because most people just assume all of Spain speaks Spanish.

gmt you rock :)

But you need to explain to me again whether Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian are all different languages because I've forgotten what you said in your very detailed answer last time ;)

propi
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:20 PM
So what are all the languages spoken in Spain? I can think of Castilian Spanish, Catalonian, Basque, Galician (do you consider that a dialect?) and Asturian? I'm not sure.

It's interesting because most people just assume all of Spain speaks Spanish.

gmt you rock :)

But you need to explain to me again whether Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian are all different languages because I've forgotten what you said in your very detailed answer last time ;)
This is a nice and complicated question.....
In Spain everybody speaks Spanish, of course, but there are some places where other languages spoken: in Catalonia Catalán is spoken, as well as in Valencia and Baleares, Basque in basque country and Galician in Galicia, btw Galician is a different language that used to be as Portuguese, but still after centuries both have similarities.
Appart of those "main" languages there are two other that were in the verge of extintion:Bable, spoken in Asturias and León, and Fabla, spoken in Aragón.
About Spanish spoken in Spain there are some dialects whose only difference is the stress of pronuntiation and sometimes (very rare) some words, those dialects (I don't count the Americans, that exist as well) are Andaluz, Extremeńo, Murciano, Canario and Aragonés.
More or less that's all I hope it's understandable, if not just tell it

GoGoMaggie
Jul 20th, 2003, 06:15 PM
I wish I could speak some Korean and Chinese as many of my friends speak either of the two. I'm also interested in East European languages like Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, etc.
And of course English better.

ttaM
Jul 20th, 2003, 06:32 PM
I am learning German, slowly but surely ;)

I would also like to learn:

Croatian: Since I have family ties there
Italian: So I can talk to my barber in his native tongue, plus I've been to Italy 3 times and love it!
Arabic: So I can talk to my other barber :p

Messenger
Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the answer :)

So say if you heard someone like Magui Serna speak would you recognise her accent and be able to guess where she was from?

propi
Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the answer :)

So say if you heard someone like Magui Serna speak would you recognise her accent and be able to guess where she was from?
Canarian accent is quite evident it sounds like some of the Americans....anyway that's theory, I could only notice Andalusian and Canarian accent, appart of Aragonese, that's suppossed to be mine