PDA

View Full Version : Should and Will the WTA Cancel the Qatar and Dubai events?

anton
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:18 PM
because of the war with Bin Laden,etc.

Jeff
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:21 PM
I don't know, but I sure wouldn't be playing there

anton
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Venus is entered to play in Dubai. I heard that some of the players are hoping that that event is cancelled and they some of them might play in Memphis that week.

Jeff
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Yeah, Venus is supposed to play there. Hmm, I just think they should cancel it. They need to put the players safety first.

jomar
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:39 PM
it's definetely safe to continue with these tourneys.:angel:

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Both events should safe... I want both stay! No cancel!

anton
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:45 PM
what makes you think they are so safe?
Wasn't an event in dubai cancelled in 2001?

Should: yes
Will: no, if there is peace the next few weeks

Jeff
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I doubt they are going to cancel these events. They'll just leave it up to the players to make their own decisions as to whether they want to go or not. More than likely these events will be safe, but as a US Player, I would probably still feel uncomfortable being there.

Monica_Rules
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Venus and Monica have entered so i doubt they have safety fears why enter in the first place if you were afraid of what might happen!

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by anton
Wasn't an event in dubai cancelled in 2001?
Nah... it was Sarabotya (spell?) in Indonesia.

Savvi
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:00 PM
The ATP had a tournament in Qatar at the start of the year and if anything I would have thought that the securuty situation would have been worse then than it is now but I'd imagine that if there was any doubt about safety that they'd cancel the tourney...?

Aloysius
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Qatar and United Arab Emirates are NOT Afghanistan.

Steveg
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Nah... it was Sarabotya (spell?) in Indonesia.

S U R A B A Y A .

Jorn
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:59 PM
There was a bicycle event in Qatar last week, so there's no reason to cancel any tournaments, and they will not.

IF you not know, it more safe to be in Qatar then in the US! ;)

Zamboni
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:01 PM
No way that they should cancell it!
Qatar and Dubai have nothing to do with terrorism, so why cancell?

Cancelling this events would only be a show of blaming the islam for what happened and please don't get me started on that...

The WTA should give an example by not cancelling these events.

Vanity
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:03 PM
I doubt there is any safety risks. The men's event in Doha went along fine, so there would be no reason to cancel the women's events in the middle east.

Tammy
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:05 PM
yes but you guys also have to take this from an american's prospective.. many americans now feel uneasy by simply leaving the country .. going to austraila is one thing but going to an arab affiliated country is different and i know that may sound bad but it is true.. i bet if you ask a majority of americans they wouldn't be caught dead putting themselves in such a place at this time... but then again they are tennis players and there will be security.. i don't think they should cancel the event but i will be suprised as to how many americans do play at that tounrey..

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:06 PM
the ATP had more high profile players playing than anyone who will be in Dubai.

plus Doha and Dubai are very safe.

You don't find many criminals there and if there are some you will know and can tell who they are ;)

Tammy
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:11 PM
yeah i agree with you i think it will be safe for them to play i think it takes more of a toll on the mindset of the player...

Volcana
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:14 PM
The players are probably quite safe. A bomb inthe crowd is another matter. However, I'm quite certain that security concernes are being addressed. First of all, the Americans mostly skipped the fall, so everyone knows they might lose high profile American players if they don't deal with security. And I cannot imagine Monica going into a situation like that if there was danger.

Fingon
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Aloysius
Qatar and United Arab Emirates are NOT Afghanistan.

Exactly. I don't think those countries are more dangerous than others. If you think terrorist could strike there, the same could happen anywhere else, including the United States and Europe.

In fact, players will probably very safe there as security will be tight and remember they are not democracies so, they can take whatever measures they deem necessary.

Besides, if they cancel those events, that could cause political trouble, with western countries trying to convince the arabs that there isn't a war against them, a cancellation could be taken the wrong way.

At the end, it's up to the players if they want to play there or not, if they feel safe, they will play.

sartrista7
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:44 PM
The WTA should NOT cancel these events, as neither Qatar nor the UAE have anything to do with the terrorist attacks. If Americans or other players feel uncomfortable playing, they don't have to play: there are alternative tournaments, after all.

Rollo
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Due to the high murder rate in the US, perhaps events there should be canceled until the situation is "under control". Or maybe the reason for cancelling the 2002 US Open should be because we are technically "at war". Of course the French Open and Wimbledon also need to be putoff because Paris and London have very high Muslim populations.

Please. As long as the WTA is keeping the women informed, the women can make up their own minds. It's called being an adult. Deciding not to play is one thing, calling on the WTA to give in to terrorism by being paranoid or classing all Muslim nations together is the "us" and "them" way of thinking Osama wants us all to follow. Canceling these events, which could send strong positive signals to women in that region, is just playing into the hands of fanatics. We should not be ruled by fear.

Rubylips
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Is this the place where HINGIS took pictures with some guys?

JonBcn
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Well said, Rollo: Some people on here really need to relax and take a more realistic look at the big wide world around them. Nobody forces any player to play somewhere they dont feel safe, (god knows they tried to get monica to Munich) so anybody making this trip is doing so of their own free will.
Donīt judge somebodys prospective safety by the predominant religion in their country of destination. There are huge (happy, safe) expatriot populations in both these relatively liberal, free-thinking, developing, tennis-loving states.
I didnt hear anyone suggest we cancel Oklahoma City back in the day.

rian_ran
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Actually, most Islamic nations, with the posible exception of Algeria and Turkey have a pretty good handle on so-called home-grown 'terrorism'. Where 'terrorism' flourishes is in the sybaritic/lotus-lands of the oh so sacrosanct Western democracies, where all sorts of deviations and high-jinks are tolerated under the all-so familiar refrain of tolerance, equality and multi-culturalism. Qatar, Dubai.....LOL, these are the 'Beverly Hills' of the Arab World, nothing 'spectacular' will happen there; we shouldn't tarnish nations and peoples based on broad generalizations, after all, would any of you refrain from going into an Irish pub on the fear of being the victim of a terrorist bombing, I think not.........give it a little pause for consideration., PLZ.

Scotso
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Qatar and UAE are both pretty liberal countries in their views of the west. I don't think that anything would happen there... although there are most certainly bad elements there, I'm sure they will take great steps to ensure the safety of the players going there. I mean, they saw what happened to Afghanistan.

tenn_ace
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:16 AM

that's the questions that is usually asked by a person who have never been or lived in any other country. open your mind. There are many places in the world that are safer than where you live.

anton
Jan 29th, 2002, 07:56 AM
I think since Dubai is a Tier II, the WTA is supposed to supply 2 top 5 players. Isn't that true? So those 3 top 5 players can't decide not to go. Somebody is supposed to go so that is why maybe Monica and Venus will not want to go. Monica and Venus both played that week's other event, Memphis in the past when it was in Oklahoma and I have heard that those two both want to play the Memphis event but have entered Dubai because Memphis is a Teir III and Dubai is a Tier II.

jomar
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:43 AM
I reiterate it safe to play there....they can't cancel, I already have my bookings/reservations.:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

ys
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Do they have to play with covered faces over there?

anton
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:40 AM
I think Venus should choose other events. She was a target getting death threats at age 14.

Rollo
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Anton- almost all these women have gotten and regularly receive death threats, at least the well known ones. It goes with the territory.
Besides, having been in Dubai briefly, I can tell you it's a great place to shop-duty free!

Seriously though folks, if recent events are any indication, it's the US Open(being in New York City) we should be discusiing, not Dubai.

Rollo
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Just another thought...IF after the men have had a successful event here, the women pull out, what kind of signal does that send? With loadsof injuries and a weak world economy, Americans skipping overseas events in a panic or worse, the tour doing so, would only lead to sponsors throwing in the towel.

mishar
Jan 29th, 2002, 11:13 AM
The events won't be cancelled, but LOL at the idea of UAE as a "free-thinking" country! If that's liberal, well...

jomar
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:02 PM
LOL@ys, the answer is a big NO. How can they hit a ball clearly with a covered face???? The players are allowed to wear whatever they like on the court.

Anyway, the tourney would push through. Here’s why?<font color=gold>

Dubai Duty Free announced today that two of America's top women tennis players, the current US Open and Wimbledon champion Venus Williams and the hard-hitting Monica Seles, will be winging their way to Dubai next month to participate in the much-awaited Dubai Tennis Championships 2002 taking place at the Dubai Tennis Stadium from February 18th to March 3rd.
The world famous players head the line-up for the women's week, the Dubai Duty Free Women's Open, which runs from 18th-23rd February and will be played back-to-back with the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open, running from 25th February to 3rd March 2002.
Included in the stellar line-up for the men's week is current Wimbledon champion and Dubai-favourite Goran Ivanisevic, reigning Dubai champion and world number 5 Juan Carlos Ferrero, British number 1 Tim Henman and Moroccan players Hicham Arazi and Younis El Aynaouni, who currently leads the world rankings after becoming the first Arab player to win in Qatar this month.
Commenting on this year's line-up of players HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Department of Civil Aviation said: "The fantastic response that the Dubai Tennis Championships has received from more and more of the world's top players highlights the popularity and prestige of the tournament. This year's event looks set to reach new levels with the impressive line-up of talent coming to Dubai."
The two week 'grand slam' of tennis, which is owned and organised by Dubai Duty Free, has its roots in the million-dollar men's ATP tournament which celebrates its 10th anniversary this year. The men's week was expanded last year to include a top-level Sanex Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Tour Tier II event that resulted in a fortnight of the greatest tennis action ever witnessed in the Middle East.
Acknowledging the tremendous growth and development of the Dubai Tennis Championships, Colm McLoughlin, Managing Director of Dubai Duty Free, said: "A tournament of this size and quality is something we have all been working towards for the past decade.
"The calibre and stature of players who will be competing in this year's tournament is impressive and is testament to the fact that the Dubai Tennis Championships has become one of the most attractive events on the international tennis circuit, " he added.
Also included in the line-up to compete in this year's tournament, which is held under the patronage of H.H. General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Minister of Defence, UAE, is former world number 1, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, who continues to be one of the most talented players on the ATP Tour, and fellow top 10 player Sebastian Grosjean of France.
French star Fabrice Santoro, who played such a big part in his country's Davis Cup win last year, will also play in Dubai, while Germany's number one player and the Dubai Tennis Open 2000 title holder Nicolas Kiefer returns to Dubai in the hope of re-capturing the crown.
Other top players from the women's tour include last year's women's quarter-finalist Sandrine Testud, who was narrowly defeated by final champion Martina Hingis in the inaugural women's tournament. Testud will be joined by Alicia Molik, Australia's top player, former French Open champion Iva Majoli and Iroda Tulyaganova from Uzbekistan, who won both the Vienna and Knokke-Heist single titles in two weeks during 2001.
The ATP tournament that now forms the cornerstone of the fortnight's Championship continues its winning trend of excellence that has resulted in eight international awards of recognition. Dubai Duty Free was recently honoured by the ATP when it won the international Group region's Award for Excellence in the "Media" category for the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open 2001 tournament. The award was collected in Sydney by Salah Tahlak, Senior Manager Promotions and Advertising for Dubai Duty Free, who for the first time this year, takes on the role of Assistant Tournament Director for the Dubai Tennis Championships.
This year's Dubai Tennis Championships promises to be one of the best events on Dubai's sports and social calendar. The tournament will kick start a busy sporting season here in Dubai that includes the Dubai Desert Classic and the Dubai World Cup.
For further information please contact: Matt Jones or Leanne Blanckenberg, Promoseven PR, Dubai, Tel: 971-4-3368826 or Fax: 971-4-3368609 / 96, e-mail:matt.jones@promoseven.com;leanne@promoseven.c om

Bright Red
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:14 PM
No, the WTA should not cancel Qatar nor Dubai. What did those two countries ever do?

And NO, the WTA will not cancel the two. It would be silly to do so.

BigTennisFan
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:19 PM
"Where 'terrorism' flourishes is in the sybaritic/lotus-lands of the oh so sacrosanct Western democracies, where all sorts of deviations and high-jinks are tolerated under the all-so familiar refrain of tolerance, equality and multi-culturalism."

You are correct rian, it's a lot easier to pull off terrorism in a free society. I notice that the deviations and hijinks of Western democracies are not causing you to beat a path to Algeria or Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Funny how some people turn their noses up at a democracy but they don't put their butts where their mouths are. One thing about democracies it that they are VERY easy to leave.

And how many of these Dubai fans are going to the event?
Hmmmmmmmm?:fiery:

anton
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:22 PM
hope they at least step up the security. the club where I play hosts a pro tennis tourney and we used to be able to use the same lockerrooms as the pros like Sampras and Becker, but this has been changed for 2002.

Rollo
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:58 PM
The stands looked full last year. Besides, I'm sure LOTS of guys there will pay for a chance to see women with few clothes on whacking tennis balls around. It's sure to be a change of scenery from what most women there wear :bounce:

Thanks for the article Jomar :)

anton
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:09 PM
I thought about it and I don't think the WTA will cancel these 2 events. They would lose a lot of money and they will say there is no real threat.