PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Belgian translator out there?

Cassius
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:34 PM
OK, I don't know if it's Dutch or Flemish.
Please could you translate the writing under 'Sprintbom: Kim Gevaert'.
Also what does 'Sprintbom' mean?

King Satan
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:36 PM
it clearly states the following: hot sexy pics of so and so inside.

Cassius
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Oh - heh heh:drool::devil:
I was looking for Gevaert's Rome Golden League results and my Gevaert search came up with that photo (amoungst (sp?) others), but that was the only one with writing, so I thought I'd ask.

King Satan
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:41 PM
yup, she's a hottie. :drool:

if you need anymore translations, just let me know ;)

Cassius
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Hmmmm...........how good are you at translating invisible words?
Because some of the other photos the search yielded had invisible words on, so maybe you could translate those to?

King Satan
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:50 PM
oh, i'm great at that. bring them on, i'll translate them ;)

whenever ppl need translations around here, they always ask me first. cos i get the job done. :cool:

Cassius
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:56 PM
See what you make of this.
I just can't fathom it :confused:

King Satan
Jul 15th, 2003, 12:02 AM
well, this might take a while. but my first reaction was, "wow! now that's a great ass!" :o

i'll get back to you in a minute.

King Satan
Jul 15th, 2003, 01:12 AM
excellent translations joe! i couldn't have done it better myself. ;)
thanks so much. i try ;)

gentenaire
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Sprintbom = sprint bomb

"Some men happen to find big calves sexy"

Glenn
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Kim Gevaert is a belgian sprinter who happens to be really good and really hot too.

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:19 AM
BTW: Dutch = Flemish as American = English. It's the same, only accents and a few words differ - but we use the same dictionaries, for instance. :)

*JR*
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:12 PM
BTW: Dutch = Flemish as American = English. It's the same, only accents and a few words differ - but we use the same dictionaries, for instance. :)
What about Afrikaans?

gentenaire
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Afrikaans is a different language, it started off as Dutch, but then became so different it can no longer be called Dutch. Dutch and Flemish people can understand Afrikaans (written at least, it's not that simple when it's spoken), South Africans can understand Dutch. To us, Afrikaans sounds like a baby language. Take Dutch, take away all conjugations, simplify words, invent a few new ones and ta dam...you have Afrikaans.

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 04:02 PM
I don't agree that Afrikaans is totally different from Dutch. In fact it shares over 95% of its vocabulary with standard Dutch, that's even more than some local Dutch and Flemish dialects.

I thought the magazine read : Sommige mannen vinden dikke kutten juist sexy." :o:o

The Crow
Jul 15th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Hum Jurgs, allee 'k ben toch niet de enige die mij eerst mislezen had :o

gentenaire
Jul 15th, 2003, 04:42 PM
I didn't say totally different, I said too different to be called the same language. And it's not that easy to understand what's said on the radio in Afrikaans.

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Well it's not easy to understand West-Flemish or Gronings dialect either (even more difficult than Afrikaans :o) for someone from another region. Still they don't speak a different language. In fact, up until the 1930's Afrikaans used the standard Dutch as a written language but due to growing nationalism Afrikaans also became a written language.

Joris ts ts!

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:35 PM
BTW Josh - did you read what Siegfried Bracke said in the Humo of last week? :p
Siegfried Bracke is a journalist (covering politics mainly) for the Flemish public tv.

Seems I'm not the only "crackpot" who thinks the Netherlands and Flanders should be united - in fact, should never have been divided in the first place. Bracke also says - and I think you can believe him when it comes to that - that there is not much difference between the Dutch and Flemish political culture... while Flemish and Walloon political culture is lightyears apart. (My words, but it's what he says).

You should read it - you'll love to hate it :p :o.

Except for what he has to say about the treatment the Vlaams Blok received from the VRT (I object strongly to that - I don't think that party should be treated like other parties) I agree with almost everything he says. I was very pleasantly surprised to see I'm not the only "orangist", lol.

A little bit :topic: I know :o.

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:04 PM
You must be the first person i know that is pleasantly surprised to agree with Siegfried Bracke lol :o

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:25 PM
You must be the first person i know that is pleasantly surprised to agree with Siegfried Bracke lol :o
Nope, the other way around. :cool:

I'm always pleasantly surprised when somebody agrees with me. I have come to expect prejudice and rigidity; I don't expect reasonable thinking from others :o :p.

King Satan
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:31 PM
oh btw, caligula, i don't know a word of dutch. :p:devil:

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:34 PM
But when where the low countries ever united in the same country apart from 1815-1830?
In the Middle Ages there were different counties and duchies that one time cooperated with eachother and then fought wars.

In 1585, the Netherlands became an independent country while "Belgium" remained under Spanish rule. So the separation was a fact from then on because the Netherlands became one of the greatest trading and seafaring nations while the south remaind the playground for various foreign powers. North and south grew completely apart and that was also the reason why the unification didn't work.
Like I said before, Flanders and Wallonia have a much longer joint history than Flanders and the Netherlands. Apart from arguments related to language, I don't see any good reasons for a big "Dutch State". Besides if a referendum were to be held in Flanders, a majority would vote against a unification with the Netherlands.

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Besides if a referendum were to be held in Flanders, a majority would vote against a unification with the Netherlands.

If there were an option to vote "Nuke 'em", i'm positive that would win ;)

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:46 PM
And btw, why would the Dutch want *us*??? We always talk about how two or three Flemish people would like to form a union with the Netherlands but i doubt you can find as much people over there that want a unification with Flanders.

King Satan
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:47 PM
oooo belgian history lesson. very interesting :)

Flappie
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:57 PM
yup, she's a hottie. :drool:

if you need anymore translations, just let me know ;)
Thats not what it says LOL!

It says: "sprint bomb" Kim Gevaert: "Some men think thick calfs are sexy"

King Satan
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Thats not what it says LOL!

It says: "sprint bomb" Kim Gevaert: "Some men think thick calfs are sexy"
I know lol, i was just messing around :devil:

a couple days ago i also fooled mel into thinking i knew polish :devil: lol

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:14 PM
But when where the low countries ever united in the same country apart from 1815-1830?
In the Middle Ages there were different counties and duchies that one time cooperated with eachother and then fought wars.

In 1585, the Netherlands became an independent country while "Belgium" remained under Spanish rule. So the separation was a fact from then on because the Netherlands became one of the greatest trading and seafaring nations while the south remaind the playground for various foreign powers. North and south grew completely apart and that was also the reason why the unification didn't work.
Like I said before, Flanders and Wallonia have a much longer joint history than Flanders and the Netherlands. Apart from arguments related to language, I don't see any good reasons for a big "Dutch State". Besides if a referendum were to be held in Flanders, a majority would vote against a unification with the Netherlands.
As if a referendum is the best way to decide things :rolleyes: - you know better. Cheap shot, that. Thanks to the Swiss referendum women's right to vote was postponed till 1971 - a good thing, do you reckon?

Jürgen, I'm so not going to swap dates with you - history class is too long ago for me, it's not ready knowledge. I'm convinced your "facts" are wrong, but I'm not going to dispute them, not today, I'm too lazy to look things up and it's way too hot. (What are we doing behind our screens - we should be outside somewhere :( :p )

So lets say, just for the sake of argument, that all your facts are right. So - what?

I already told you: my "case" for reunion doesn't stand or fall with historical data, it's mainly based on how things are today. It doesn't cease to amaze me what a very conservative position you choose every time this comes up. Well,: it's not because it was good enough for are grandparents, that it should be good enough for us. I understand people are afraid for change - they always are, and they almost always are wrong.

It is my firm believe a Europe of peoples would work best for everyone.
My opinion. (And Bracke's :eek: :o)

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:19 PM
If there were an option to vote "Nuke 'em", i'm positive that would win ;)
So that would be proof of how valid a referendum is. :p

I don't think you're right, though: Josh's poll from some time ago showed that about half of the Flemings felt more related to the Dutch than to the Walloons... while everything is going against that. Put us together in one country, and after a decade or two we wouldn't be able to imagime why we were ever apart, is what I think.

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Why should we waste two decades if there's no problem now? It wouldn't be better anyway.

Seems to me like it would just be changing just to have a change.

Ask people if they want to see a Walloon win the tour or Boogerd, i know what the answer will be, no matter how related some feel to the dutch :rolleyes: (ok that's purely hypothetical as no walloon nor boogerd will ever win the tour but still...! :D)

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:28 PM
And i don't know about which poll you talk as the results of the one i found were very close AND were in favor of Wallonia not the Netherlands:

I'm a Flemish Belgian and feel more related to French Belgians [ 14 ] * 31.11%
I'm a Flemish Belgian and feel more related to the Dutch [ 12 ] 26.67%

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=70517&highlight=walloon+french+dutch

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:29 PM
skip that last post as you never claimed a majority was in favor, ok the heat is getting to me too ;)

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Well I'm convinced that we would argue with the Dutch then instead of the Walloons and people would start talking about a reunification with Wallonia. ;)
If Flanders ever want to go its own way (I hope not), then it should be an independent state instead of joining the Netherlands. That just won't work.

BTW, you're not going to swap dates with me but you're convinced my facts are wrong? :confused:
How can you be convinced I'm wrong if you don't have enough knowledge of it?

I'm not taking a conservative position, you are! You are the one who wants to restore something from the past. Something that has evolved as time goes by and wouldn't work anymore. It didn't work in 1830, it won't work now either.

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Why should we waste two decades if there's no problem now? It wouldn't be better anyway.

Seems to me like it would just be changing just to have a change.

Ask people if they want to see a Walloon win the tour or Boogerd, i know what the answer will be, no matter how related some feel to the dutch :rolleyes: (ok that's purely hypothetical as no walloon nor boogerd will ever win the tour but still...! :D)
Carot, there is hardly any chance it will change overnight - you know that and I know that.

But rejecting change because of 1585 is ridiculous imo.

I think The Netherlands + Flanders - 21 million Dutch speaking people - would have more impact in Europe than 16 million Dutch people and ten million Belgians - 6 million Flemish + 4 million Walloon people.

I know not many people think like I do, so why would anybody get upset over it? I'm happy I found out a political journalist agrees with me and has some hard facts to strengthen my opinions.

I do wonder if people who instantly attack me whenever I express this opinion have ever thought about it... or is it just a gut-reaction "Bweurk, Ollanders!" :p :o

Two decades: well, maybe it would only be two weeks, shees.
The tour thing: you're probably right. Sports is a great thing to make people feel nationalistic. So what? After two decades weeks it would already be the opposite... :p

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:47 PM
The tour thing: you're probably right. Sports is a great thing to make people feel nationalistic. So what? After two decades weeks it would already be the opposite... :p

OMG you'd cheer for the de boer brothers? for kluivert? for davids? ughyduggy ;)

Nah, i don't see any reason why we'd change and it isn't really about my profound hatred for (;)) the Dutch here for moi. I just like it the way it is now, and no i don't think about that or consider the other options as i'm completely happy with what we have now. I like my Walloon friends, and don't see differences that are big enough to change our country in such a drastic way.

If i like Coca Cola i might try pepsi to see if it's better. But I won't change the life of 26 millions people just to find out if the majority likes it better that way.

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Well I'm convinced that we would argue with the Dutch then instead of the Walloons and people would start talking about a reunification with Wallonia. ;)
If Flanders ever want to go its own way (I hope not), then it should be an independent state instead of joining the Netherlands. That just won't work.

BTW, you're not going to swap dates with me but you're convinced my facts are wrong? :confused:
How can you be convinced I'm wrong if you don't have enough knowledge of it?

I'm not taking a conservative position, you are! You are the one who wants to restore something from the past. Something that has evolved as time goes by and wouldn't work anymore. It didn't work in 1830, it won't work now either.
I don't know what so great about Belgium that you wouldn't want to see it disappear. I'll never understand that. I'm still convinced you underestimate the unificating power of a language... the fact alone that people speak the same language is historical proof that they share the same roots.

That The Netherlands + Flanders wouldn't work is sheer prejudice.

BTW: Did I say I have not enough knowledge about it? Ok, English lesson: "Ready knowledge" means that you can't produce dates and facts on demand.
I have the knowledge, it's just not "ready, and I'm too lazy to look it up and make sure. :p

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:21 PM
OMG you'd cheer for the de boer brothers? for kluivert? for davids? ughyduggy ;)

Nah, i don't see any reason why we'd change and it isn't really about my profound hatred for (;)) the Dutch here for moi. I just like it the way it is now, and no i don't think about that or consider the other options as i'm completely happy with what we have now. I like my Walloon friends, and don't see differences that are big enough to change our country in such a drastic way.

If i like Coca Cola i might try pepsi to see if it's better. But I won't change the life of 26 millions people just to find out if the majority likes it better that way.
Hey - Wallonia isn't going to disappear if Belgium does - it did exist before Belgium did, you know ;). So your Walloon friends (like mine) aren't going to disappear either.

You like oneliners? Belgium = Coca Cola; change = Pepsi?
See, but there you are wrong: Belgium = lukewarm and dirty water; Netherlands+Flanders = cool beer. I might be afraid to try beer... but in the end it would be pretty stupid of me if I was to cling to my lukewarm water, don't you think? (And neither of us have proved a thing).

Our regions have been changing in drastic ways since the beginning of times. They are changing as we speak. Better to think about it with a free mind.

You may not see big differences; lots of other people do. We have been drifting apart (Flanders and Walloonia, that is) since many, many decades. I'm pretty sure we will keep drifting apart... whatever any of us would prefer.

But by all means: drink your coke in peace :).

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:25 PM
BTW: what do you think of DaniellaDaniella then, rooting for Justine - an anomaly?

And wouldn't you cheer for Kluivert if he played for your club? (Anderlecht? Brugge?)

Josh
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:46 PM
You say that it's sheer prejudice to say that Netherlands + Flanders wouldn't work. What makes you so sure it WOULD work? Is there any evidence of that. Because if you look at history you would find evidence it doesn't work : 1830 revolt against Dutch king and forces.

Speaking the same language doesn't mean you understand eachother though. Two people who speak a totally different language might understand eachother better than two people who speak the same language.

What's so great about Belgium? Well let me reverse the question : what's so great about the Netherlands?
I like living in a multicultural country, I like talking to people in Brussels and constantly switching from one language to another. I think living in a multilingual country is an enrichment. I like driving to the Ardennes and be in a completely different setting (natural and cultural) at only 100km from my home and still feeling at home.

You just keep focusing on the language thing but keep ignoring the long joint history of all the Belgian regions. There is a common Belgian identity, just like there's a common Dutch identity and those two are different.
Walloons and Flemings are not that different, the language is the most obvious thing but apart from that there's little that separates us. Recent "battles" have all been started by politicians and people in the street don't really care about all that regional quarrelling.

I think Belgium is the best thing for Flanders and Wallonia because both have a say in the federal government and can use the federal state to promote their point of view on the European and international level. Flanders would be totally absorbed by a Dutch state. Would we get parity on the governmental level? Would those 16 million Dutch listen to 6 million Flemings? I doubt it. Flanders would only lose in this scenario.

carot
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:07 PM
BTW: what do you think of DaniellaDaniella then, rooting for Justine - an anomaly?

And wouldn't you cheer for Kluivert if he played for your club? (Anderlecht? Brugge?)
*drinking coke*

Danielle is no anomaly, i don't see her cheering for Justine because she's Belgian, cos then she'd cheer for Kim too.

I'm not really too fond of Kim, but i'll root for her if she plays 99% of the tour, simply for nationality reasons. Same goes for Muriel Sarkany (Brussels), or Walloon athletes.

Kluivert is a bad exemple as i don't understand why anyone would cheer for a murderer and rapist but i'd never cheer for a Dutch athlete cos he's dutch. I wouldn't exclude cheering for a dutch athlete but then because other aspects attract me in him or her. (And lately i can't seem to recall one with whom i did tbh but that might be a coincidence) I'd cheer for them like i'd cheer for American, French or Swahili athletes.

I didn't like most Dutch footballplayers that played for my team Anderlecht no. ;)

King Satan
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:19 PM
ahhhh nevermind. this thread is already derailed lol

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Josh - ok, now we're talking.

1) look at history you say (again). But you only look at those little parts of history that suit you, while I have a preference for those little facts that suit me. One cannot prove much by it. I could point out the fact that the Golden Age of Amsterdam was the work of the Flemish (often Antwerp) people who fled Flanders at the time of Alva. This is a cultural vein that runs deep. You are right in saying that was long ago... but how long ago is too long ago?

Lets look at the revolt against the Dutch King in 1830. This, as I have always learned and read everywhere, was a revolt lead by a French-speaking bourgeoisie, it had nothing to do with the Flemish man-on-the-field. That Flemish man/woman barely knew what was happening! It was not the revolt of a people - it was a staged revolt, for political and economic reasons (like most revolts, if not all) - staged by those forces who didn't want to see The Netherlands grow too mighty.

That this revolt took place is no proof whatsoever that a united Netherlands wouldn't work today - it is even no proof that it wouldn't have worked back then.

2) speaking the same language doesn't mean you understand each other, that is correct. But it helps. Remember Babel...
If a French speaking nurse in a Brussels hospital doesn't understand what 'm saying, she may endanger my life. Things like this have happened, and maybe still do. The better you are able to understand each other, the bigger your chances to avoid, ahh, misunderstandings :p. Belgium is wasting loads of money on translating-translating-translating. (Europe is too - but that's unavoidable for the moment.)

Two individuals speaking a totally different language may indeed understand each other better than two individuals speaking the same language. That does not extrapolate to peoples - on the contrary.
Look at how a stupid translating error made the whole dossier of X1 (I'm talking Dutroux) look ridiculous... in the eyes of French speaking people. Had they (been able to) read the Flemish report, three or more years (and tons of money) would not have been wasted.
So the language thing has hampered Justice too. (And that's not the only example.)

3) what's so great about the Netherlands? Nothing much - just the fact that you can see a doctor and be sure he'll understand you (ok - there are differences, but not as much as between totally different languages. There are differences between Limburgs and Westvlaams too... and they're not smaller than those between Flemish as a whole and Dutch as a whole.)

You don't have to master a totally different language to be a good policeman, or a lawyer, or a civil servant etc. etc.
Language = communication. Difference in language = difficulties communicating. For me it's as simple as that.

Hey, one of the things I used to like about Brussels was that you could hear all kind of languages spoken, smell all different kinds of smells and so forth: I like a multi-cultural environment.

But I think Amsterdam is at least as multi-cultural as Brussels. You don't have to have 2 official languages in the same country to have a multi-cultural country. One official language would be easier for everybody... even for the people from abroad. It would certainly not prevent different cultures to exist side by side.
But there has to be at least one official language - and the fewer official languages there are, the easier for everybody.

You still could drive to the Ardennes and feel at home - if you have to be in one and the same country to feel at home then you should favor United Netherlands, lol - 'cause the bigger the country, the more square miles you could call "home". :p

I feel at home in Groningen.. and more so than in Walloonia, although I have lived there and have friends there. Walloonia, for me, feels a bit like a foreign country, and always has felt that way.

(Their coffee is another blend - did you know? They even have a different size of bread-cutting machines: their slices of bread are thicker. Did you know? They still eat lots of butter, while in Flanders - as in the Netherlands - butter is almost a thing of the distant past. Did you know?)

- It's a country where I feel comfortable, but it's less mine than, say, the region of Breda. (And there is barely any difference between Belgian and Dutch Limburg - even the dialects are practically the same).

4) I already commented on the history thing: you see the facts that speak for you, I see those that support my case. Saying that there is a common Belgian identity is stretching those facts pretty far, though. Of course we have things in common: we have been neighbours since the beginning. There has been intermingling, sure.
But setting a "Belgian" identity apart from a "Dutch" one - no.
edit: historically speaking, I mean, because you were talking about the "long joint history of all the Belgian regions".

"Hebban all vogalas" - this is the Dutch/Flemish identity, which is older (if you insist on history) and runs deeper than relationships with neighbours.

Again, imo you underestimate what binding force speaking the same language has - apart from it's obvious advantages. Following your reasoning people living on different sides of a border would have to feel a closer relationship to each other than to the rest of their respective nations. (And that may be as far as individuals are concerned... but again: this does not extrapolate to peoples.)

Recent "battles" have not been started by politicians at all: they would very much like the language thing go away. But it's because the people in the street DO care about these things that these things keep coming up.

5) where Flemish and Dutch are concerned you think in terms of "us" and "them". You do that because you are so used doing that here in Belgium, because the difference between Walloons and Flemings is always unmistakable.

I don't think in "us" and "them" when I think of "The Netherlands" including Flanders - I only think "us". Sure, we would feel seperate for some time... but I don't think it would take long to blend. I know you (nor Carot) agree on this - but that's my conviction.

There is not much difference between Zeeuws-Vlamingen and West-Vlamingen from that neighbourhood - like there is not much difference between both Limburgs.

It would be "us" for our children - of that I am 100% sure...
Like it has never been "us" between Flemish and Walloons - except when we win at sports :p.

So you see, Josh, I have not one nationalistic bone in me. I don't think "Hey, Flanders would lose - let us stay together with Wallonia, there we can dominate." I only think: as a people, we would win. :)

And now I have Siegfried on my side :devil: :D :o

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 11:53 PM
*drinking coke*

Danielle is no anomaly, i don't see her cheering for Justine because she's Belgian, cos then she'd cheer for Kim too.

I'm not really too fond of Kim, but i'll root for her if she plays 99% of the tour, simply for nationality reasons. Same goes for Muriel Sarkany (Brussels), or Walloon athletes.

Kluivert is a bad exemple as i don't understand why anyone would cheer for a murderer and rapist but i'd never cheer for a Dutch athlete cos he's dutch. I wouldn't exclude cheering for a dutch athlete but then because other aspects attract me in him or her. (And lately i can't seem to recall one with whom i did tbh but that might be a coincidence) I'd cheer for them like i'd cheer for American, French or Swahili athletes.

I didn't like most Dutch footballplayers that played for my team Anderlecht no. ;)
*drinking a cool beer* :cool:

re Danielle: I meant, as a Dutch person she can cheer for a Belgian - but you would find it weird if I, as a Belgian, would cheer for a Dutch person???

re Kim: I know some Belgian (Justine) fans who'd rather cheer for anyone else than Kim, don't you :o? I bet they might even cheer for a Dutch player instead of Kim... so there goes the whole nationality thing.

Frankly, I like Kim because of her personality, more than because she happens to be Belgian. Or Flemish (I've always liked Dominique more than Sabine, for instance). Would Kim have been a Dutch girl, but with the same character and behavior, she'd still be my absolute # 1.

Nationality can play a role - it's almost the only reason why I will ever cheer for Justine - but it's not an important role to me.

Kluivert - yes, I forgot about the whole rape-thing :o. (I'm not much of a soccer fan - only when the national team plays :eek: )
Well... of course you'd never cheer for a Dutch person because he's Dutch, I wouldn't expect that. But nationality is such a vague thing. It's quite easy to change...

Frankly, I think "states" and "nations" are things of the past. The binding factor will be culture and language (like in ex-Yugoslavia). All bound together in much bigger and less determining structures, like the European Union.

you didn't like most Dutch footballplayers... so you are suffering from that gut reaction ;). I have known a lot of Dutch people, and loads of them are educatable, don't worry :p.

Lynx
Jul 15th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Jeeeee-zus! I have to get up at six tomorrow :eek:

4 hours of sleep left. Damn - why can't I resist talking politics? :sad: :mad:.

carot
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:14 AM
*drinking a cool beer* :cool:

re Danielle: I meant, as a Dutch person she can cheer for a Belgian - but you would find it weird if I, as a Belgian, would cheer for a Dutch person???

re Kim: I know some Belgian (Justine) fans who'd rather cheer for anyone else than Kim, don't you :o? I bet they might even cheer for a Dutch player instead of Kim... so there goes the whole nationality thing.

Frankly, I like Kim because of her personality, more than because she happens to be Belgian. Or Flemish (I've always liked Dominique more than Sabine, for instance). Would Kim have been a Dutch girl, but with the same character and behavior, she'd still be my absolute # 1.

Nationality can play a role - it's almost the only reason why I will ever cheer for Justine - but it's not an important role to me.

Kluivert - yes, I forgot about the whole rape-thing :o. (I'm not much of a soccer fan - only when the national team plays :eek: )
Well... of course you'd never cheer for a Dutch person because he's Dutch, I wouldn't expect that. But nationality is such a vague thing. It's quite easy to change...

Frankly, I think "states" and "nations" are things of the past. The binding factor will be culture and language (like in ex-Yugoslavia). All bound together in much bigger and less determining structures, like the European Union.

you didn't like most Dutch footballplayers... so you are suffering from that gut reaction ;). I have known a lot of Dutch people, and loads of them are educatable, don't worry :p.

short reply cos we're going round in cercles anyway

i wouldn't find it weird if you cheered for a dutch athlete, where did i say that? i'd cheer for some dutchies if they appalled to me, but not because they're dutch or cos we talk the same language, but because of the reasons i sometimes cheer for a french, for personality or so, not cos of their dutch nationality

unlike you, nationality still means something for me, i'll always cheer for the belgians, even if i don't like them, i love my country the way it is, it's not perfect but it's ours. no problem with you taking a different stance on nationality (until the day you rule this country of course. no plans in that direction i may hope? ;))

about dutch people -
when i was little we often went on hols in the netherlands, never had a problem, and now with the few dutch people i know i also don't have a problem, but i don't see more ressemblance between flemish-dutch or flemish-walloon.
If our main difference with the walloon is bread and butter than i can give you lots of exemples where flemish food differs compared to dutch food. that exemple sucked as much as my oneliners ;) (btw before i got dairy allergy i always ate butter on my bread, so it must be in my genes that i'm pro-wallonia and pro-belgium ;))

sleep tight, i hope the mosquito's won't bug you the few hours you'll be in bed! :)

Cassius
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Jeez, did my thread get buggered or what?:eek:
Please people, don't spoil my lovely Kim Gevaert threads by bringing her nationality into it- that was just an unfortunate mistake, and wasn't her fault.

:p;)

spudrsca
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:17 AM
NO, Don't let Wallonia to France :lol: :mad:

Brαm
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Wow! Someone asks for a simple translation of 1 sentence and this turns out into a heated Belgium-Netherlands politics thread :eek: :lol:

Cassius
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Yeah, like I keep saying- "Leave Belgium out of this, it has nothing to do with.............errrrrrrrr....................... anything."

Ha ha ha, sorry Belgians, but I just love mocking:kiss: