PDA

View Full Version : Peak Performance: What is the greatest match of their careers?

Robbie.
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Thus far which is the greatest match in which these 20 players have competed in, in terms of the quality of their own play. Rate their performance out of ten..with ten being the perfect performance. It doesn't have to be a great or important match, it just involves the optimum performance by the player involved.

1. Jennifer CAPRIATI
2. Lindsay DAVENPORT
3. Venus WILLIAMS
4. Martina HINGIS
5. Kim CLIJSTERS
6. Serena WILLIAMS
7. Justine HENIN
8. Amelie MAURESMO
9. Jelena DOKIC
10. Monica SELES
11. Meghann SHAUGHNESSY
12. Sandrine TESTUD
13. Nathalie TAUZIAT
14. Magdalena MALEEVA
15. Silvia FARINA ELIA
16. Elena DEMENTIEVA
17. Arantxa SANCHEZ VICARIO
18. Anke HUBER
19. Amanda COETZER
20. Iroda TULYAGANOVA

jd4eva
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:50 AM
I don't think Jelena has played anywhere as near as she is capable of.

Here are a few though:

2000 Italian Open: Jelena Dokic def Venus Williams 6-1 6-2

Performance Rating: 8

2001 Italian Open: Jelena Dokic def Amelie Mauresmo 7-6(3) 6-1

Performance Rating: 7

2001 Kremlin Cup: Jelena Dokic def Francesca Schiavone 6-2 6-0

Performance Rating: 7

TS
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:11 AM
There are so many here! I'll just give my opinions on a few...

Monica - well too many too mention in a long career...but two spring to mind...French Open final 1992 over Graf (showed great mental toughness) and her French Open SF win over Hingis 6/3 6/2...a flawless performance.

Jennifer - Her best performance was at the Australian Open in 2001. She was in the zone in her SF and Final match. Of course some of her early 90's matches as well...one that springs to mind is her win over Monica at San Diego in 91 I think it was. She played awesome.

Arantxa - Even tho she lost the match...Id have to say her 1995 Wimbledon final with Steffi. It ws like 4/6 6/1 7/5 but I haven't seen Arantxa play that well ever! A shame someone had to lose that match! Im sure many would rate her Grand Slam wins, but I think this was one of her best performances.

Amanda - Her match against Steffi at the French Open in 97...I think she led 6/1 4/1 but won 6/1 6/4. That was an amazing performance.

Venus - I still feel that I havent seen her at her best! lol, thats quite scary if u think about it! I thought she played a bril match with Steffi at Wimbledon 99. (she lost tho)

Lindsay - Aus Open final over Hingis in 2000. Apart from a momentary lapse, she was unstoppable!

Sandrine - Even tho I didnt see it, Im sure it was her Filderstadt final win in 98 over Lindsay 7-5 6-3!

I'd give them all 10 out of 10! ;)

Messenger
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:22 AM
I know that players like Martina, Venus and Monica are best answered by their multitudes of fans so I'll try to answer some of the other players :)

Amanda Coetzer: Her almost-double-bagel of Graf at the 1997 German Open has to come close.

Anke Huber: I haven't seen many of her matches but I was really impressed with the way she played against Coetzer at the 1998 AO. She was really agressive and made some errors but came up with some great shots, coming from 4-1 down in both the second and third sets to win 2-6 6-4 7-5.

Nathalie Tauziat: When she defeated Lindsay at Wimbledon 6-3 6-3. I think that her high-risk style of game means that it is difficult to play close to "perfection" but she was very good that day and even Lindsay said she thought it was Nathalie's best match.

Williams Rulez
Jan 28th, 2002, 04:25 PM
For Serena... that performance against Hingis in the 2001 semis of the US Open has got to be almost flawless. 41 winners to 19 UEs?? And 100% first serves in in the second set and 16/17 first serve points won in the second set.

And that 6-2 6-1 victory over Lindsay at Indian Wells 2001 QF must have been a *perfect* match as well.

When Serena is on.... she is scary... :eek: :D

disposablehero
Jan 28th, 2002, 04:48 PM
For Monica there are so many. Maybe her 6-1 6-1 over Gaby at the 91 VS Championships.

For Kim, her victory over Martina at last years Indian Wells. She played terribly in the 2nd set, and the 1st game of the 3rd set, but had Martina entirely helpless the rest of the match.

irma
Jan 28th, 2002, 04:59 PM
I think one of Kim`s best performances was in 2000, in Filderstadt when she played Tauziat and she was behind and then she hit this amazing dropshot from behind the baseline and turned the match around after.<P>I think Serena`s peak performance was the us open semis last year but the most amazing tennis she ever played was in the first set of the monteal final in 2000 but sadly she couldn`t continue that:(

mishar
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Venus has played many amazing matches, but to me the best performance I've ever seen was against Monica in San Diego 2001. She made only around 10 unforced errors and was just unbeatable. I assume she played similarly well against Lindsay in the semis (similar score), but I didn't see that match.

Serena is scary when she's on, especially against Lindsay!

Rubylips
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:28 PM
So true williams-rulez,also . VENUS AT PIOLT,PLAYING 3 PLAYER'S AND WINNING THE FINALNOW that unbelivable.saving 8 match point's.:) ;) :wavey: :D :drool:

matthias
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:34 PM
Anke Huber: her best match i ever saw was AO 1998 QF against Sanchez-Vicario. it was a high level match with leess errors on both sides, Anke won 7-5 7-6

Robbie.
Jan 29th, 2002, 01:54 AM
I think most will agree with me that Lindsay's best performance was her total domination of Martina in the Chase final 99. Marti was playing well but Lindsay was just awesome. That form carried through to the Oz Open 2000 where she really played another near perfect match to defeat Marti again.

Julian
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:22 AM
Arantxa sure has a lot! But part of the peak performances I'd have to choose these:

1994 U.S. Open final vs. Steffi Graf-

Wow what versatility Arantxa showed! She went from being a baseliner in the beginning of the match to a net player near the middle and the end of the math! Although Steffi was slowed a bit by her back injury, she still played great and you can't deny Arantxa mixing up her incredible defensive skills plus she was hitting great winners left and right with Steffi and showed awesome offense as well. :)

1995 Wimbledon final vs. Steffi Graf-

Again I love it when these 2 play because Steffi always brought the best out of Arantxa. Arantxa's serve was AWESOME throughout the whole match including serving aces against the fast Steffi. She also showed again her impressive net skills from the beginning of the match and in that famous 20 minute game she did NOT serve a double fault. I remember before the match Chris Evert said that Arantxa had no chance because it wasn't on clay but she sure was surprised after that 1st set! :)