PDA

View Full Version : Compay Segundo dies at 95

propi
Jul 14th, 2003, 12:31 PM
The Cuban musician Máximo Francisco Repilado Muñoz, better known as Compay Segundo, died yesterday in La Habana at 95 years of age.
He was one of the most important Cuban musicians, son of Spanish railway worker, he was known not only in Spain and Cuba but around the world.
One of his dreams was "living until 100 years and then ask the Death for an extra time", as longevity was part of the story of his family, his Grandmother, a former slave, lived 115 yo.
Today the world will cry his death, rest in peace, Compay
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

galadriel
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:41 PM
I know him from the movie "Buena Vista Social Club " .Rest in Peace,Mr.Compay Segundo :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Sonf@
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:56 PM
:sad::sad:

gmt
Jul 14th, 2003, 05:45 PM
In a TV report, he recalled how his grandmother used to lick his cheek when he came back from school to make sure that he hadn't been to the beach ;)
Later on, they filmed him lighting up a cigarette and putting it on his granny's grave. She then looked so much alive that you couldn't believe that she was born at the beginning of the 19th century...

Josh
Jul 14th, 2003, 05:52 PM
It's quite amazing that he got world wide fame when he was already 88. :eek:
His ever cheerfulness and optimism has certainly contributed to his old age. I liked this quote of him : "I got flowers when I was 93. I wanna tell the youth not to despair cause everyone will get their flowers at one point." :)

propi
Jul 14th, 2003, 08:22 PM
One sentence he once said was really great it was something like that: a journalist asked him if he was feeling well, then, whit an incredible sence of humor, he aswered if he wasn't well then the whole island of Cuba was almost dead...:D

The Crow
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Missed this post...

Saw Buena vista social club again last night, and his spirit was just unbelievable :)