PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Mima Jausovec Story

Jem
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:47 AM
I'm in the process of going through my old collection of tennis magazines, dating back to 1975, and I found this wonderful piece about Mima Jausovec, the little Yugoslavian who won the French in 1977 and was runner-up to Evert there in 1983. It seems Mima wanted a European tournament staged at her club in Maribor, Yugoslavia, so badly that she went out and did TV commercials for money that was donated to her club, so it could fund the tournament.

One of the things that I much admire about the women of yesteryear is how hard they had to fight for the right to play for pay. (These spoiled players today have no idea about the sacrifice and commitment it took to create their multimillion dollar tour, which is why I get peeved when today's stars withdraw on a whim and demonstrate no commitment or respect to the game.)

That said, I applaud the stars of today when they give a little extra back through charity events, etc.; it just seems to happen very rarely.

Jakeev
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Wow there's a blast from the past. I loved watching her play and and I remember rooting for her furiously against Chris in 1983, but little good that did for her lol.

I know she plays some of the senior Grand Slam events but what is she actually doing anymore? She is Slovenian right so is she involved with that it's tennis program?