PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter -Order of Phoenix-

GoGoMaggie
Jul 13th, 2003, 01:30 PM
How do you rate this latest Harry Potter book if you have already read it? Just give your feedback and don't reveal anything as there are many people including myself how haven't read it yet.

JonBcn
Jul 13th, 2003, 01:55 PM
*too scared to enter this thread in case I find out who dies*

vs1
Jul 13th, 2003, 05:33 PM
A LOT Of character development. It moves slower in action than the other books. I like it though. Of course, I would've liked anything because I am obsessed with Harry Potter books!

Dahveed
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Good, but Book 4 remains, IMO, the best of the series.

Totally disappointed by 'the death', i mean cedric thingie died in book 4, did you see anyone complaining but Cho? :devil:

Monica_Rules
Jul 13th, 2003, 09:23 PM
I loved it its different to the other 4 the first 500 pages are quite slow with just background stuff and school stuff.

Its in the last 150 pages the book get very exciting.

I think book 4 may still be the best book aswell!

gentenaire
Jul 13th, 2003, 09:41 PM
I was relieved by the death, actually. I was so worried she'd killed off my favourite character, I was relieved it wasn't him.

And considering the lenght of the book, I think it's a good thing the book is a bit slow. Otherwise I'd want to finish it from beginning to end in one go and I'd end up dropping everything else. Now, it took me longer to finish it, I could enjoy it a bit longer.

Martian Stacey
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:10 AM
i thought it was really good, and i was totally shocked by who died, it never even occured to me until close to the end that it would be that person, i even cried when it happened :o :sad:

i soooo want to read the next one now ;)

J_Migoe
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:55 AM
please can you tell me who is it that died? OK..i'll put it this way, please don't tell me that one of Harry Potter's best friends (Ron and the girl) died. I would be quite dissapointed!

DiNaPic
Jul 14th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Go to

http://www.harry-auf-deutsch.de/

click on DOWNLOAD

and go the the very, very bottem:

there are severeal potter texts (English and German) for free donwload.

have fun....

apoet29
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:39 PM
I think Cedric's death is meant to represent how far-reaching Voldemort's evil power stretches--meaning that even the most innocent person can die when he returns to power. Having said that, Book 4 is my least favorite of the series except for the school dance where Ron and Harry are miserable with their dates! I know that feeling!

Book 5 is excellent because it allows us to see how much Voldemort's evil has had a traumatic impact on Harry's life. Harry's rage at a world that does not understand him is the pinnacle of a teenager's experience in the world, but those experiences are magnified 10 times more for Harry. His development is the best part of Book 5.

I also enjoyed finding out why exactly that Professor Snape hated Harry's father so much. Sadly, Snape had no idea that Harry could relate to him. Professor Umbridge reminds me of some evil professors that I had in high school. I was thrilled by her comeuppance in the end. The arrival of the witches and wizards at Harry's house was priceless as was finding out who comprised the order of phoenix. Percy Wesley turned out to be the pompous dick I always suspected while his brothers escape from Hogwarts is both hilarious and touching. Harry's infatuation with Cho is dealt with quite nicely and the return train home gives a sinister edge to what could happen in Book 6.

All in all, I loved the book and hope that we don't have to wait another 3 years to find out what happens.

gentenaire
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Book 5 is excellent because it allows us to see how much Voldemort's evil has had a traumatic impact on Harry's life. Harry's rage at a world that does not understand him is the pinnacle of a teenager's experience in the world, but those experiences are magnified 10 times more for Harry. His development is the best part of Book 5.

I agree. Some people have said they don't like Harry in this book, but he's a 15-year old, going through puberty. That's how 15-year olds are!

Professor Umbridge reminds me of some evil professors that I had in high school. I was thrilled by her comeuppance in the end.

Actually, I thought that was a bit of a disappointment. I had hoped she'd have to face what she'd done. I loved professor Flitwick's remark though when the Weasley twins had released those fireworks. He lets Umbridge do the cleaning up for him, then says that he could have done it himself, of course, but didn't know whether or not he had the authority! LOL!

All in all, I loved the book and hope that we don't have to wait another 3 years to find out what happens.

please no!!

Petersmiler
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:41 AM
I have to agree with most of the comments above, except I do think it is the best one so far.

Harry's mood swings and general angry demeanor are exactly like most teenagers at that age.

And yes, I certainly agree that Umbridge didn't really get the comeuppance she deserved!

The death, well I was a little disappointed. Both because of who it was, but also the way they died! How boring was that!

Otherwise, best of the bunch!

Viva
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:02 PM
This is my veview - I've posted it before but since I saved it I'll post it again instead of re-writing it.

Fave new character: Luna Lovegood
Best baddie: Professor Umbridge and Draco Malfoy
Funniest moment: There were a lot of funny one liners and Fred and George are always good comic relief. At the start where Mrs Wesley finds out Ron is a prefect and then goes, "Well that's all everyone in the familt" and George goes to her, "What are Fred and I, next-door neighbours?". lol I cracked up so hard over that. I also giggled a lot in the parts between Harry and Cho. Very cute. I also loved the scene where Peeves is trying to unscrew a chandelier and Professor McGonagall goes: "it unscrews the other way". And Luna Lovegood was hilarious with the ridiculous Lion head hat that roared and her laughing hysterically at Ronís joke. Bless her.
Most annoying character: Professor Umbridge Ė I felt like strangling her! Harry was a bit of a whinge pot too.
Best bit overall: The ending where Professor Dumbledore explains everything. And P. McGonagall was really good in this book.
Most disappointing/boring bit: The beginning was a little slow. And the Order of the Phoenix didnít quite live up to what I expected.
Most surprising/shocking bit: Dumbledore crying. I always expected him to be brave and not let things bother him but it showed a sign of weakness and it scared me. Also Harry being banned from Quidditch shocked the hell out of me.
Big death: I cried. It was so sad. One of my favourite characters too! *sniff* Also when it described the look on the characters face made it even more gut wrenching. I was depressed long afterwards, like Iíve lost a friend.
How long to read? 3 days including meals, sleep and other things.
Scary factor: 7
Overall book rating: 10
Side note: Ginny and Cho sure do get around. ;)

Fieke
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:15 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=75944&highlight=harry+potter

tsk tsk Viva, copying my comment about the Peeves scene :p

Viva
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:23 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=75944&highlight=harry+potter

tsk tsk Viva, copying my comment about the Peeves scene :p

Uh oh BUSTED! Hehe, I knew I stole it from somewhere but couldn't remember!

jujufan
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:45 PM
I have just finished the book and I loved it!
I was just a bit dissapointed in the fact that we didn't get as much of information about his parents then I thought we would.

I'm all ready waiting for the sixth book!
Is it true that the author said a headcharacter will die in the next book or seventh? I truelly hope not cause I like Hermione, Ron and Dumbledor

my grade to the book hmm 8/10 It was one of the best together with the fourth book

Monica_Rules
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
My theory is in the end of book 7 Harry,Ron or Hermoinie will die in some heroic thing.Most likely Ron.

Theres lots of rummors going around that Draco Malfoy will join Harry to get rid of a 'joint evil' that would be great!

I will be reading this again after i finish the stand and Return of the king.

Monica_Rules
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Oh before i forget shes already started book 6 and she says it will be shorter than the last 2.

I'd say it will be out in about 2 years!

Andy_
Jul 16th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Oh before i forget shes already started book 6 and she says it will be shorter than the last 2.

I'd say it will be out in about 2 years!

Hopefully she can get done with it faster this time... My "problem" is I found out about HP just when the first movie was released and immediatley after I began reading the whole thing... which took me very short time, I must confess my addiction :devil:
So this was the first time I had to wait for a new book, and it was only about a year and a half, but I found it long enough... So please, J.K.Rowling, if you're out there spying on use here... don't waste your time, get back to writing!
As for my rating of the Order of the phoenix, I'm left with a few pages to read, so I'll be posting soon
:wavey:

Corredian's_Mind
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:04 PM
i havent finish it yet but it's a really great book ( im crazy about it :hearts: ) for the moment i can say that f*cking Umbridge: i hate you and luna...you're strange and i dont really like you!
this book is "more dark" than the others but it's gonna be my favorite (after the third :kiss:)...im just afraid that my FAV character could die...please not him :sad: ...but so i will know it soon, i hope!!!
:dance:

Andy_
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:17 AM
It's over... I was left with little more than 100 pages yesterday night, and after this week's ALIAS episode, I plunged into reading...
I must say a bloody newspaper had published (on the day I began reading) who was going to die in the book, so the death didn't come as unexpected as it should have, but... I HATE J.K.Rowling... of all the characters she could have have murdered... MY favourite?!? :fiery:
Anyway... the book is a really good one, although at times it was pretty slow and after pages and pages devoted to OWLs I think at least we should have been given the results :rolleyes: Imagine you should wait for years to know how well you did your real exams... quite frustrating!?!
One of the things I've loved the best is seeing Harry growing up, the way he reacts to what he has to face, his shouting at almost everyone, the way he handles pain and sorrow, how the new loss affects him compared to old losses. The other element I like a lot is the fact that, through the DA, Harry has found a bunch of new friends: not that he wasn't on friendly terms with most of them before, but a few of them have actually stood for him this time, and now he knows he can trust them. Now, there is one thing I'd love to see in Book 6: in this book we were given a chance to see Rita Skeeter again, and she was forced to pay for her behaviour in Book 4 and that little revenge revealed pretty pleasant (I loved it when, after the interview, teachers started to award Gryffindor points for trivial reasons, like Fleetwick giving Harry 10 points for a water can...). So what if in Book 6 we are given a moment when Dolores Umbridge is at least tortured and force to cut in her skin "I must not pretend I have a cough just for the sake of interrupting other people" (Quite longer than "I must not tell lies, should leave permanent marks...) :devil:

Viva
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:53 AM
I loved Luna - she was so kooky - and didn't care, I can relate. ;)

Zamboni
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:45 PM
My favourite new character is Tonks! Luna was good too :D And I like the talking Ginny much more than the shy one ;)

I thought the book was pretty slow, and I must confess I still don't completely get why Umbridge did what she did (can someone explain to me?), but it was good to see the ministry can be wrong too ;) And the end really made up for the slowness, the fight was good (especially cos it was finally not just Harry vs. Voldemort) and Dumbledore's explanation was great too (I laughed when he said that the prophecy could have been about Neville too).

Most shocking part was when Harry had that dream, I thought that person was gonna die and just thought "nooo she can't do that!!!" and then the quidditch ban and everything. What stands out in the book is just the unfairness of everything!

anyone else who wonders how many OWLs they all got?

oh, and I heard that J.K. Rowling said Harry died before he's an adult (will probably be in the 7th book then).

Sammm
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:50 PM
The book is good, but book 4 is better. Book 5 is on a par with book 2.
I liked the fact that it was so long becuase I had the excuse that I had to read it first because my brother's so slow!

Monica_Rules
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:33 PM
The reason Umbridge did what she did was because she was a mole in the school for the ministry to stop Dumbledore from saying Voldermort was back.

To the ministry it was just an excuse to cause panic and Dumbeldore wanted to be Minister for magic but we know this was not correct.

So in Umbridges eyes Harry and his friends were breaking the rules.

I did feel the need to kill her on several occasions!

Zamboni
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:35 PM
The reason Umbridge did what she did was because she was a mole in the school for the ministry to stop Dumbledore from saying Voldermort was back.

To the ministry it was just an excuse to cause panic and Dumbeldore wanted to be Minister for magic but we know this was not correct.

So in Umbridges eyes Harry and his friends were breaking the rules.

I did feel the need to kill her on several occasions!
oh thank you, now you say it I can remember it! And I did feel that need too :o She's definitely my least favourite character so far!

vs1
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:09 PM
I really loved this book. My previous favourite was the Prisoner of Akzerban. But this might be my new favourite because it was so long and I never want these books to end.

I LOVED LUNA!!!! She is hilarious! And she has that stoned "I don't give a fuck" attitude that kind of keeps her protected. She has these bonds with Harry and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up together at the end. They shared several tender moments together...especially at the end of the book when she was talking to him about how other people were always taking her things and then her mother's death.

I HATE UMBRIDGE!!!! But it was so hilarious. The descriptions of her were perfect and she was always so annoying. I think we're going to find out what happens of her in the next book. I hated her so much that I was glad she was in the book. Talk about control freak!!!!

I felt really bad for Snape. And it's ironic that Harry and he have so much in common but can't get along. Will he turn out to be a bad guy at the end?!

I'm scared for the next book to come out because I don't want any of them to die. I've got a feeling it's going to be Dumbledore because he's always been there to guild and help Harry through. But as Harry grows... and then with that prophecy, I think we're going to have Dumbledore dead in Book 6. And then it will be a more-or-less even playing field between Harry and Voldemort in Book 7 when Harry will probably ultimately kill him and it'll be the end of the series. That's my guess. But what do I know?! :p

gentenaire
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:28 PM
oh, and I heard that J.K. Rowling said Harry died before he's an adult (will probably be in the 7th book then).

She never said that. When someone asked about Harry's future, what comes after book 7, etc, she jokingly replied something to the effect of, "you seem to be convinced Harry will be alive."

gentenaire
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:30 PM
If you're too lazy to read book 1:

http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/b/rowling.stone.shtml

Monica_Rules
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:44 PM
vs1 i totally agree!

i think Dumbledore will die in book 6 so then Harry has to lead the people in book 7.It will also mean that good isn't guaranteed to succeed as voldermort will fear no-one!

vs1
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:55 PM
vs1 i totally agree!

i think Dumbledore will die in book 6 so then Harry has to lead the people in book 7.It will also mean that good isn't guaranteed to succeed as voldermort will fear no-one!

Yes, my feelings exactly. However, I do think that Good will ultimately succeed at the end. OR ELSE I'LL JUST DIE OF SHOCK!!! Imagine if at the very end, Voldemort comes out the victor!!! :eek: :eek:

I think that Book Seven will be the real war. It'll be between Harry and Voldemort. And people will be divided on both sides. But in the end, I think that we'll have Harry as the victor and maybe the new headmaster at the school???? Or the head of the Ministry of Magic? I can't wait though. But I suspect there will be more characters like Dolores Umbridge on the way.

gentenaire
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:37 PM
I don't think Harry will have to kill Voldemort with his own hands. The thing that protected Harry, that what reduced Voldemort's powers is love! I expect something similar will be the end of Voldemort. I don't think it'll be an act of hatred (which it would be if Harry kills Voldemort) but an act of love that will kill Voldemort.

vs1
Jul 19th, 2003, 01:15 AM
I don't think Harry will have to kill Voldemort with his own hands. The thing that protected Harry, that what reduced Voldemort's powers is love! I expect something similar will be the end of Voldemort. I don't think it'll be an act of hatred (which it would be if Harry kills Voldemort) but an act of love that will kill Voldemort.

That's very interesting point. You're right. It's his heart that is his power which Voldemort doesn't possess in his arsenal. All other things, they are equal.

It'll be really interesting. Maybe it'll be his relationship with Luna in books 6 & 7 that will defeat Voldemort. Or maybe he won't have enough love in his heart and Voldemort will ultimately prevail.

Monica_Rules
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Oh come Harry will not get with Luna!

If anyone it will be Ginny!You could just see it at the end of book 5

Zamboni
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:56 AM
She never said that. When someone asked about Harry's future, what comes after book 7, etc, she jokingly replied something to the effect of, "you seem to be convinced Harry will be alive."
oh ok glad to hear that :)

Zamboni
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:00 PM
If I were JK Rowling, I'd let the tension grow in book 6 and 7, and then I would write a book 8 about "The War", where Voldemort will die, it would be weird if people who are still at school would have that war!

Tine has a point about the love, I also just can't imagine Harry killing someone on purpose.

Megli
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:12 AM
I finally read the book, and I did like it a lot. Luna is a great charactar. Can't wait now to read the next book, I hate to wait.

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:16 PM
I didn't read the book yet, (as I'm now reading the Prisoner of Azkerban) :), but I just get the sneaking suspicion that my fave (Neville Longbottom) might get killed :sad: :sad:. Say it ain't so :sad:

vs1
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:29 PM
I didn't read the book yet, (as I'm now reading the Prisoner of Azkerban) :), but I just get the sneaking suspicion that my fave (Neville Longbottom) might get killed :sad: :sad:. Say it ain't so :sad:

It ain't so!!! :lol:

vs1
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Oh come Harry will not get with Luna!

If anyone it will be Ginny!You could just see it at the end of book 5

I'm still convinced it'll be Luna. Ginny had her first crush on Harry, but she's since learned that she enjoys playing the field. Good for her! Somehow, I don't think Harry would do well with a girl who needed a lot of affection and attention. That's why Luna is perfect. They are outcasts in their own ways. And she seems to be always keen for any type of adventure. GO LUNA!!! :lol: :lol:

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 20th, 2003, 07:02 PM
lol...okay cool...but I just hope it's not one of the main characters (like Ron or Hermione). I just finished book three by the way, and I looooooooooove it. I love the fact that Harry riles Snape so much in this one, and never got punished. And then Snape exploding near the end :haha:. I hate that man :mad:

Joseosu19
Jul 21st, 2003, 02:56 AM
I think it will be interesting to see how Rowling keeps Voldemort rising over the next year, because obviously in book seven he will still be alive coming into the end, so it will be 2 years with voldemort rising, i suppose.

Joseosu19
Jul 21st, 2003, 02:58 AM
I almost cried when Ron and Hermione found out about Neville's parents at the hospital...in my opinion that was the saddest part of the book:sad:

Monica_Rules
Jul 21st, 2003, 02:04 PM
Yeah Ginny may have had a crush on Harry but i think in the next book Harry will realise he likes Ginny and Ginny will say she still likes Harry!

Lunas too loopy for Harry!

Oasiatic
Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:50 PM
Well I just finished reading it and was disappointed at how slowly it started but damn after the mid way mark, it certainly ran home with you. I enjoyed it as I have the others but Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is still my favourite....

I do like how certain factors are revealed in this book though. You can appreciate the plot in its entirety

fleemke≥
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:15 PM
Just finished it :sad: I read the last 200 pages at once ... Can't wait for book 6. I loved the book ... :worship:

GoGoMaggie
Dec 9th, 2003, 12:55 PM
I started reading it about half a year ago and I still haven't finished it... I'm so slow..
I'm enjoying it a lot and addicted with it but I found it a bit hard to read quickly as there are so many words whose meanings I have to guess from the contexts. I have read many other English books but this is the hardest vocab wise... Of course the story line isn't hard so everyone of any age can understand it .. just the vocab..no easy for a non native speaker..
I'm hoping to finish reading it by the end of the year.. You know, the good thing is the longer it takes the more I can afford to enjoy it!

hythger
Dec 9th, 2003, 01:30 PM
It's a good one but for me Book 4 is still the best one!
I thought that this book was a bit slow in the first chapters. The introduction of new characters was brilliant, Luna is absolutly amazing, Umbridge is brilliantly horrible...
Loved the romance of Harry and Cho...Ginny is much better in this book that in the others!!
Hated the death of one of my favourite characters!!
The joke between Peeves and McGonagall was hillarious!
Can't wait for Book 6