PDA

View Full Version : calculating the ranking points?

Isanie
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Hi all, I am new... I've always wanted to learn how to calculate the ranking points... I know it's quite complicated, or at least it looks complicated to me!.. so, could someone help me? please! :)

you can email me at:

isanie1@cantv.net

thanks a lot! :)

:wavey:

ACfan1999
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Hi, I'm new to this board too. I have watched tennis for a few years now, but never understood its ranking system, and never understood why in a slam when a number 1 ranked player gets beaten by a 2, 3, or 100th ranked person, they don't seem to lose the number 1 ranking. Could you also post it on here as well?

Thanks.

Fingon
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:50 AM
I could explain it to you here but I think it's better if you check the wta site at www.sanexwta.com, go to rankings and then click on how rankings world, that will open a pdf file (or download it to your computer), there is a good explanation there.

ASV
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:18 AM
That site is too confusing for me.....

http://www.geocities.com/jannak36/rkws.htm

Go here. Look at the #s to the right of the player's names. That is their Quality Points. If a player beats the #1 seed at a Slam, they earn 200 bonus points in addition to their round points. At the top of that page, you can see points by 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, etc.

Lets say that #3 Martina Hingis HAD beaten Jennifer in the finals. She would have gotten 194 points for winning the championship match AND 200 points for beating the #1 seed. The Quality Points are doubled at a slam because of their prestigiousness.

Also, a player can have a max of 18 tournaments on their ranking. If Martina plays 19 and that 19th tournament isn't as good as the other 18, then the best 18 get counted. For a player like Venus, who only plays 14, this has no relevancy.

Even more importantly, a player has points coming off for each tournament she played that previous year. At this year's AO, Jennifer had 1040 points to "defend". Immediately, Jennifer's ranking points dropped by 1040 points. Then, she had to win those points back to keep her old ranking. She didn't win all of them back, but did get a fair 1008 points.

I hope this explains things.

Fingon
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:24 AM
the rankings is much more than that, that will only tell you how many points a player is getting in a particular tournament, but it won't explain how the system really works, I think the explanation in the wta site is clear enough

Isanie
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:21 PM
thanks a lot guys! I checked both sides, and things are a clear now :). Thanks Arantxa's #1 Fan, your explanation was really useful, now I understand the system better! :)