PDA

View Full Version : Paging Roger and Serena!

Fantastic
Jul 12th, 2003, 04:34 PM
A summary from a local newspaper article:

The Hopman Cup organizers have extended an invitation to Wimbledon mens' singles champion, Roger Federer, to compete at next years event to represent Switzerland.

The organizers have also invited the American defending champions back. James Blake and Serena Williams are yet to reply but it is highly expected that both will return for another tilt at the title.

Despite making the Wimbledon final, Mark Philippoussis is not a likely candidate to compete for Australia unless he displaces Lleyton Hewitt as the No. 1 Australian male or Hewitt declines his invitation.

The Hopman Cup is sticking to its policy of inviting each countries' No. 1 players before considering any others for a position in the prestigious mixed teams event, held next year from January 3 - 10, 2004.

*JR*
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:36 PM
A summary from a local newspaper article:

The Hopman Cup organizers have extended an invitation to Wimbledon mens' singles champion, Roger Federer, to compete at next years event to represent Switzerland.

The organizers have also invited the American defending champions back. James Blake and Serena Williams are yet to reply but it is highly expected that both will return for another tilt at the title.

Despite making the Wimbledon final, Mark Philippoussis is not a likely candidate to compete for Australia unless he displaces Lleyton Hewitt as the No. 1 Australian male or Hewitt declines his invitation.

The Hopman Cup is sticking to its policy of inviting each countries' No. 1 players before considering any others for a position in the prestigious mixed teams event, held next year from January 3 - 10, 2004.
Damn you, me and SJW were half undressed... :devil:

Tennisace
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:58 AM
The question is if Roger decides to play, who will Switzerland send as the women's player?

No. 1 Patty Schnyder
No. 2 Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian
No. 3 Myriam Casanova
No. 4 Emmanuelle Gagliardi

I doubt MGM would play considering her relationship with the Swiss Federation.

Fantastic
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:31 PM
I think Patty will play. She's more of a drawcard and can get Switzerland seeded. If not, then I think they'll ask Emmanuelle Gagliardi.

Tennisace
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Patty tends to play Goldcoast though so I would believe that she might pass the opportunity to play.

Fantastic
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Ai Sugiyama used to play Gold Coast regularly until she was invited to play HC two years running. She gave up SF points from Gold Coast to play HC in 2000. So if Patty is patriotic and willing to forego a few points to mix it with a Wimbledon champion and a few of his Grand Slam-winning mates, then she's as good as there. ;)

I was thinking that they might invite Korea this year, but Yoon Jeong Cho has finals point to defend at Auckland and Hyung-Taik Lee might need to qualify for Sydney again if he isn't afforded a wildcard or direct entry. Still, you never know. A lot of Asian players view representing their countries as a higher honour than playing for themselves. If it doesn't happen for Korea, Thailand might play again since they missed out last year because of Paradorns' injury.

I'd like to see Russia, Argentina and Israel score invitations again. The problem with Russia is that there are only three top men to choose from but they choose to play in the Middle East and India. Marat Safin is still the top Russian man. From what I gather, he didn't really enjoy his last visit because it was too soon for him to resume playing again and he got frustrated and annoyed. Yevgeny Kafelnikov might get an invite since his career seems to be winding down. Mikhail Youzhny is the only other likely possibility. Out of the women, they have Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva, who would both jump at the chance of playing for Russia.

Argentina should return to represent South America with Guillermo Coria and Paola Suarez. I like the sound of that team. They were the original lineup for 2002 before Coria got busted for drugs.

Israel could have Anna Pistolesi and possibly Harel Levy. The top Israeli man is Noam Okun, but Harel Levy is more well-known in Australia. Either way, I think Israel should have a shot at it.

Australia and USA will get invited. Belgium is the other possibility. They really need an African country. Morocco could be it this year, but the Morrocan men usually commit to Doha and Chennai. Younes El Aynaoui and Bahia Mouhtassine sounds like a good team. They should play-off with Israel for a spot in the main draw.

That about covers it:

Oceania - Australia
North America - USA
South America - Argentina
Eastern Europe - Russia
Asia - Korea (or Thailand)
Africa - Morocco
Western Europe - Belgium and Switzerland
Middle East - Israel

Tennisace
Jul 20th, 2003, 08:18 AM
LOL, I aslo think its going to come down to whether or not Patty is going to be desparate for points.

Doris Loeffel
Jul 21st, 2003, 02:31 PM
Too bad Martina isn't playing any longer.....

hmmm guess Patty and Manu have the best chances to be asked...

I wouldn't mind to see Switzerland playing Hopman cup again

Rothes
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Mirka played a few years ago (didn't play well mind you) but if she is fit and can play then the Swiss Fed could well ask her to play.

Patty traditionally plays the gold coast which is usually on the same week as the Hopman Cup, so chances of Patty playing is probably minor.

Marie Gianeh, I would doubt it, the least likley of the Swiss Females to play with her controversy with the Swiss Tennis Federation, plus I think she is the vicor of Gold Coast, so points to defend there.

Either Myriam or Emmanuelle playing, Emmanuelle plays more doubles out of the swiss females then the others and that she plays alot of mixed doubles at the Grand Slams, so Emmanuelle looks like the best bet to play.

~|Naomi|~
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:12 AM
They will invite teh higest ranked player first and if she turns down theinvite then they will go to the next highest ranked until someone accepts the invitation. My money is on Casanova

Fantastic
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:24 PM
I think Patty's signature will be chased vehemently if Roger says yes to his invite. With Roger and Patty, the Swiss will no doubt be seeded first or second and would have their best chance to be the first country to win three Hopman Cups. The US is the only other country able to achieve the same feat unless Germany is also invited to participate.

Rothes
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Thats if they can find a German Girl mind you.

Rising Sun
Aug 11th, 2003, 06:13 PM
I also have a feeling that Korea will be invited, but Yoon-Jeong has Auckland points to defend... I wouldn't mind seeing Mi-Ra though. ;)

Thailand will surely be invited but it's up to Paradorn whether they play or not, since he's most likely going to defend his title in India that week... :(

Fantastic
Aug 12th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Is there the possibility of another Asian team competing other than Thailand, Korea, Japan and Uzbekistan? Indonesia, Chinese Taipei and China lack strong male players. Forget Singapore, Cambodia, Philippines, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Burma and Mongolia. How about India?

Fantastic
Aug 24th, 2003, 03:13 PM
It was posted in the Aussie forum that Justine Henin-Hardenne and Olivier Rochus might be representing Belgium instead of Kim Clijsters and Xavier Malisse.

Xavier is no longer the No. 1 Belgian male, so it's understandable that Olivier may get an invitation. Despite being the womens' World No. 1 and the logical choice, Kim is being pursued to play the Gold Coast event next year instead, so Justine might be asked to replace her. It's basically up to Kim.

It'll be interesting to see who actually accepts the invitations from Belgium. I personally thought that Xavier and Kim run the risk of becoming (or maybe they already are) stale as a team.

Another rumour is that Serena Williams may choose not to defend the title for the USA and give up her spot to sister Venus. Serena's injuries were a concern, but it may just be that she wants to practise rather than play to prepare for the Aussie Open as Venus did this year.

The last wacky rumour (and probably not in the realm of impossibility) is that if Andy Roddick wins the US Open, he will be invited to play ahead of defending champion James Blake. I don't know about this one. It seems disrespectful to James.

~|Naomi|~
Aug 31st, 2003, 05:52 AM
McNamee starts to organise the teams before the US Open during the hardcourt lead in events, so it doesn't matter if Roddick wins the open or not the US Male player would already be locked in now, we just won't find out who it is for a while. I'd be surprised though if it isn't Blake, the Hopman Cup is good, in that even if a player has a pretty rough year, they tend to invite them back if they are defending champs, and Blake sure hasn't done as much as Roddick but hasn't done poorly.

I personally thought that Xavier and Kim run the risk of becoming (or maybe they already are) stale as a team.

Stale :confused: Did you watch them last year?? They were so much fun to watch, the best of all the teams to watch, I'm not talking about quality here, although their quality was very good, I'm referring to entertainment value.

Fantastic
Aug 31st, 2003, 03:26 PM
Hi, kim&lleytonrule. Got your PM. :wavey:

So if they decide the players before the US Open, then it's most likely that Kim would be invited first. She will most likely say yes unless she really, really doesn't like Ollie, which I don't think is the case. I thought they were great together the first time they played. Ollie has a cheeky personality and Kim played off him very well. As a pair, he won't be able to help her out as much as Xavier can, but he does okay. And that cheeky, little munchkin smile... LOL.

I like watching Xavier play because he doesn't wear any underwear (no VPL), just the netting in the shorts. So you often see him swinging freely in there. :o ;) Swinging dingle aside, he's also a very talented player, but sometimes a little too cool for school. When he's hitting the mark though, he's on fire.

I'd be surprised too if it wasn't James Blake returning. The defending champions are automatic starters provided they aren't injured. Will Serena return in time? It's a long way off, but she should. I don't think Venus will replace her. Things can happen though and Serena has been known to be fickle and unpredictable in the past.

Fantastic
Sep 5th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Love matches:

Just wondering how many "love matches" this tournament has accommodated.

The first from memory was when Petr Korda teamed up with Regina Rajchrtova in 1991 to represent Czechoslovakia. They fell in love, went on to get married and lived happily ever after.

The second love affair blew into Perth when Andrei Medvedev represented Ukraine in the competition in 1993 alongside girlfriend Anke Huber in 1995, who first represented Germany in 1994. It wasn't reported where or when they got together but by 1995, they were a couple.

Martina Hingis teamed with Ivo Heuberger in 1999, and they then became a couple later that year in March. It was Martina's third appearance in Perth and Ivo's first.

The third love affair to arrive in Perth was the Kim and Lleyton story. Kim represented Belgium, and Lleyton represented Australia. They had known each other for some time before they simultaneously played the event in 2002. That was Lleyton's first time in Perth. Kim had contested in 2001.

The only couple to make an appearance for the same country at the same time they were dating was when Roger Federer teamed with girlfriend, Miroslava Vavrinec in 2002 to represent Switzerland.

What is the likelihood we'll ever see a married couple represent their country/countries in this event?

Are we ever likely to witness a gay couple (male or female) represent their respective countries (because, of course, every country has one man and one woman, it would be impossible to have two men or two women representing the same country)? This one is very doubtful unless there's a spate of "coming out's" amongst the players that they can report. ;)

Actually, we could speculate on the gay couple thing. Hana Mandlikova was rumoured to have been involved in a relationship with Jana Novotna at one time. Hana represented Australia in 1989 and 1990, while Jana represented the Czech Republic in 1993, 1994 and 1995. They never played during any of the same years though.

:)

switz
Sep 8th, 2003, 06:57 AM
i really hope patty plays this tournament. it means i could watch her play all week no matter her results. patty and roger would make an interesting doubles combo as well.

the only problem is that patty could well be on the borderline for seeds at the aus open which would make gold coast points very important. she's never been asked to play before i would think so we really don't know what her attitude would be. she always plays fed cup though so there is a chance.

they would have to play myriam next if patty declined IMO. she's playing really well again and has had some big results in doubles. i almost think she would be just as strong an option as patty.

we don't even know if roger accepted the invitation anyway do we?

ChrisGermany
Sep 13th, 2003, 01:11 PM
I doubt Patty is skipping Brisbane for an exhibition event.

~|Naomi|~
Sep 14th, 2003, 04:41 AM

Gold Coast dear Gold Coast, not Brisbane :)

Fantastic
Sep 14th, 2003, 02:47 PM

It's an ITF-sanctioned event actually. Just like those other "exhibition" events we call Fed Cup and Davis Cup. Players have skipped Gold Coast especially to participate in this so-called "exhibition" event before, so it's not unthinkable that Patty could do the same if she has heard about what a great tournament it is and chooses to represent her country instead.

~|Naomi|~
Sep 15th, 2003, 01:07 PM
If I was a tennis player I would actuallly play hopman over gold coast. Hopman is a lot of fun, it is relaxed and guarantees at least 3 singles and mixed matches to prepare for AO.

I think Gold Coast is a dull tournament :o

Rothes
Sep 19th, 2003, 09:46 AM
I think Gold Coast is a dull tournament :o

For some reason I think it's irksome as well :o

~|Naomi|~
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:08 PM
hey Rothes

Have you ever been to the gold coast tournament? I go every year, but only cause it is the only live tennis I have the chance to see :o
The facilities are crap :p

Fantastic
Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Teams in contention to participate:

Argentina - Coria, Nalbandian, Suarez. Coria has had a great year. Suarez is a force in doubles and a consistent singles performer.

Australia - Hewitt, Philippoussis, Molik, Pratt. Host nation and wildly popular, strangely enough. A definite starter next year.

Belgium - Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Rochus, Malisse. A GS champion or the World No. 1? Ably supported by either male. Almost definite starters.

Czech Republic - Jiri Novak, Denisa Chladkova. The Czechs made a sterling effort last year. Could be given another tilt at it.

France - Grosjean, Clement, Mauresmo, Dechy, Loit, Bartoli. A possible starter, but chances are narrow with so many European nations in contention.

Germany - Schuettler, Barna, Weingartner. Schuettler is a newsmaker. See France.

Italy - Volandri, Sanguinetti, Farina-Elia, Schiavone. Automatic main draw inclusions last year after qualifying the previous year. The women have had good years.

Japan - Suzuki, Sugiyama. Haven't made a big splash in the event yet, but Sugiyama is coming off her best year.

Korea - Lee, Cho. Both have points to defend around the time of the event. Narrowly possible.

Morocco - El Aynaoui, Arazi, Mouhtassine. Perhaps a new nation will be represented. What better than a new AFRICAN nation?

Paraguay - Delgado, Neffa-De Los Rios. Failed to qualify last year. May want to make ammends for last year.

Russia - Safin, Kafelnikov, Youzhny, Myskina, Dementieva, Kuznetsova. Russian women have made a mark this year. Expect a possible representation.

Serbia-Montenegro - Tipsarevic, Dokic, Jankovic. Could Dokic mark her Aussie return with a showing in the only city in Australia she's won a big title?

Slovak Republic - Kucera, Hrbaty, Hantuchova. The Slovaks bombed last year. May want to make ammends. Kucera is a former champion.

South Africa - Ferreira, Coetzer. Haven't played for a few years. One last hurrah for both?

Spain - Ferrero, Moya, Robredo, Martinez, Serna, Ruano Pascual. Ferrero is a recent GS champion, but expect Robredo and Serna to combine.

Switzerland - Federer, Schnyder, Gagliardi, Casanova. Federer was being heavily pursued. His partner is speculative. (See thread.)

Thailand - Srichaphan, Tanasugarn. The top Asian nation at the moment and possible starters.

USA - Blake, Roddick, Fish, Spadea, Ginepri, S. Williams, Capriati, Rubin. With Williams in doubt, she may need a replacement. Blake may not want to compete without Williams.

Uzbekistan - Kutsenko, Ogorodov, Tulyganova. Traditionally, winners of the previous years' qualifying tie return as automatic main draw inclusions. Will the tradition continue?

Wow. Wild to think that only 9 of these countries will be participating. I wouldn't expect too many other countries out of this selection to be invited into the tournament at this point.

Note: These are only my speculations.

~|Naomi|~
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:29 AM
Well I will add my speculations :)

Australia - as hosts always have a team, probably Lleyton and Molik again I'd think.

USA - defending champs always get invited back. Serena and Blake.

Belgium - Definately be here, just who is playing for them is a mystery. Last year the czechs were seeded ahead of them cause of Novaks (apparent superior doubles ability) but kim now has 2 doubles GS so they may go with her. Despite the rumours I really expect Kim and Xavier to line up here.

Argentina - Played two years ago and Coria was supposed to play but was replaced at the last minute by zabaleta because of his suspension. I think Suarez and either nalbandian or coria, probably coria though.

Slovaks - Daniela and either Kucera or Hrbaty.

Czechs - Novak and wither Benesova or Koukalova.

Uzbekistan - Same team as you said last years qualifiers are traditionally invited back.

Swiss - Federer and Casanova

Japan - Ai and Suzuki

Don't know which teams will be in the qually match though.

Seedings should be
1. USA
2. Belgium
3. Argentina
4. Australia

Fantastic
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:50 PM
Okay, my final 9 would be:

1. USA - James Blake and Serena Williams
2. Switzerland - Roger Federer and Patty Schnyder
3. Spain - Juan Carlos Ferrero and Conchita Martinez
4. Australia - Lleyton Hewitt and Alicia Molik

Argentina - Guillermo Coria and Paola Suarez
Belgium - Olivier Rochus and Kim Clijsters
Russia - Marat Safin and Anastasia Myskina

Qualifying Tie:

Morocco - Younes El Aynaoui and Bahia Mouhtassine
Korea - Hyung-Taik Lee and Yoon Jeong Cho

Yeah, that would be so cool! The closest HC ever. ;)

Meanwhile, back in a more realistic world:

1. USA - James Blake and Chanda Rubin
2. Switzerland - Roger Federer and Patty Schnyder
3. Australia - Lleyton Hewitt and Alicia Molik
4. Belgium - Olivier Rochus and Kim Clijsters

Czech Republic - Jiri Novak and Denisa Chladkova
Spain - Tommy Robredo and Magui Serna
Uzbekistan - Vadim Kutsenko and Iroda Tulyaganova

Qualifying Tie:

Morocco - Younes El Aynaoui and Bahia Mouhtassine
Paraguay - Ramon Delgado and Rossana De Los Rios

Urgh, the "realistic world" line-up sucks! But I guess we won't really know the complete line-up until around mid-October.

~|Naomi|~
Sep 24th, 2003, 06:46 AM
well mauresmo and sharapova have commited to the exhibition in Hong Kong. So doubt France will be here as Dechy has finalist points to defend at the gold coast too.

Hantuchova is apparently under considration for Auckland, now if she is under consideration for that tournament that probably means that Slovaks aren't coming to Perth next year.

I just have this feeling that Spain won't come. I'm comparing it to the Swiss, who were always invited but then Hingis pulled out and was replaced by Vavrinec and they didn't do so well and the next year wern't invite back. Well last year Aranxta withdrew and ruano-pascual replaced her and they didn't do so well, so I just have this feeling the Spanish won't be there next year.

If australia, argentina and belgium all play I don't think Australia should be seeded ahead of either of them. I am sick of this pro aussie seeding, I am an aussie and want them to win it. But let's be honest last years final sucked the two best teams were USA and Belgium, USA just beat Belgium in a third set tiebreak thingy in the mixed whereas in thefinal they crushed Aus 3 rubbers to love. The seedings just screwed the comp though with both USA and BEL in the same group.

If it is AUS and ARG and BEL, I'd put Belgium seeded top out of those countries as Kim is #1 insingles and #4 in doubles and has 2 doubles GS this year. Coria is about 5 I think, SUarez is top 30 and a great doubles player but Kim has beaten her in 2 doubles GS this year. ARG should be ahead of Aus to as Coria is ranked above lleyton and Surez is above Molik and just beat at US Open and is a far better doubles player.

====

Now I change my predictions :)

1 - USA, Serena and Blake
2- BEL - Kim and Xavier
3- ARG - Suarez and Coria (he was supposed to play in 2002 and wanted to but was suspende so I think it is realistic he could play)
4- AUS - Lleyton and Molik

Czechs- Novak and Koukalova (ok realistically will be Chladkova but Koukalova is one of my faves :p
Swiss- Federer and Casanova (if Shcnyder plays should be seeded)
Uzbekistan- Iroda and a guy :p

Qualifying match-
Japan - would love to see them invited back for another chance
Paraguay - probably be given another chance

~|Naomi|~
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:44 PM
I don't know if Lleyton is going next year, cause he has entered sydney and Paul McNamee was asked if Lleyton was playing and he didn't answer, now I think if he was McNamee would have said yes and wanted to use him to promote the event. Just a thought

Fantastic
Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:02 PM
We can rule out JC Ferrero too since it doesn't appear that he'll come to Australia at all.

If Lleyton isn't playing, that leaves Mark or Wayne to take the singles spot. If I were Mark and worried about my injuries, I'd try to save myself. That leaves Wayne, who isn't exactly an attraction. I think Paul is either playing coy, or didn't realize he was asked the question. He has a reputation for being a little flighty at times, a little snotty, and a little obsessive compulsive about being meticulous. Basically, he's a fluff.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 4th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Well llleyton and molik are confirmed, so it seems that he just wants to have another tournament in sydney not use it instead of HC. Mcnamee thinks it is going to be third time lucky for the australian team, now either he is smoking soemhting really strong, or the competion isn't going to be very hot. I say now I bet they will be seeded even if belgum, argentina, usa, and sitzerland are there - it is so biased. And I am an aussie and lleyton fan saying this, but I just think it isn't fare, last year's groups were a joke, the two top teams in the same group, just giving aus a place in the final - although they almost blew it against the czechs.

I'm thinking if Lleyton is there, Kim will be there.

NicoMary
Oct 4th, 2003, 10:44 AM
French team could be Grosgean :hearts: , Clément or Escudé and Mary Pierce :hearts: ...Pierce could play here :rolleyes: but if she is in really good shape she will more prefer playing tournaments than exhibition... :D

~|Naomi|~
Oct 4th, 2003, 10:58 AM
French team could be Grosgean :hearts: , Clément or Escudé and Mary Pierce :hearts: ...Pierce could play here :rolleyes: but if she is in really good shape she will more prefer playing tournaments than exhibition... :D

Have you heard that officially or just guessing? It would be good to see France back, I'd want it to be grosjean and Razzano, I like her and given Mauresmo is in hong kong and dechy is defending gold coast don't think they'll come

nm_cb
Oct 4th, 2003, 11:35 AM
But I think with the seedings last year, I think they were done that way so Kim and Lleyton weren't in the same group.
It may have been a reason in which they could get both Kim and Lleyton to play.

Fantastic
Oct 4th, 2003, 03:36 PM
The only way Kim and Lleyton are certain to avoid each other is if their respective teams are seeded 1 and 2. That guarantees they'll be placed in opposite groups. Seeds 3 and 4 are drawn to decide which group they end up in - then it's pot luck.

I agree with you about the seedings, kim&lleytonrule. If 'The World' turned out for this tournament, there's no way Australia would be one of the top 4 seeds. My guess is that Paul Mac is probably trying to drum up interest. It's part of his job. I hope he's just "talking it up" and not actually "guaranteeing" it, if you know what I mean.

I think the weakest year this tournament has ever had, since the introduction of the Round Robin, was in 2000. There weren't any real STARS back then apart from Mark Philippoussis and he pulled up lame. The event was robbed of THREE big names - Monica Seles, Steffi Graf (as part of her farewell tour!) and Anna Kournikova - before the tournament even began. Monica was injured, Tommy Haas refused to play with Steffi, and Anna couldn't find a male partner due to prior commitments.

Let's hope next years' tournament can at least top 2000. Last year had a great field, I thought. I hope next years' will be just as good. But then again, if Roger or Serena had accepted an invite, you'd think Paul Mac would've announced their intentions by now. The biggest names usually get a mention first. Last year, it was all about Serena, Lleyton and Daniela. So far this year, only Lleyton and Alicia - but only Lleyton qualifies as a marquee name. Not even James Blake, the defending champ gets a mention, which possibly means ???

Aussie_Kim
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:42 PM
I'm happy that Alicia & Lleyton are playing together again. They play so well together. Alicia has improved a lot this year and I thought last year she probably played better than Lleyton.
Its hard to assess their chances without knowing the line up. But they should do quite well.
I agree that if Lleyton is certain, so is Kim cos she likes playing Hopman & has a habit of following Lleyton around ;)