PDA

View Full Version : Who Panicked Like Me?

CC
Jul 12th, 2003, 05:34 AM
I had Kazaa until there was a recent report on MTV about them being able to trace you once you make a search. Since the internet is in my name I panicked and rushed to delete the thing.

Now I want soooo bad to download some songs.

Am I a fool or a coward? :tape:

Cariaoke
Jul 12th, 2003, 05:38 AM
how bout both?

just don't share and you should be ok... now if everyone does this, we won't be able to d/l. that's how a kid at my school got shutdown by paramount and expelled for sharing LOTR.

now would be a good time to learn how to use MIRC. :)

CC
Jul 12th, 2003, 05:43 AM
How about prudent? No?

Yeeeesss, MIRC ... what is that exactly?

Cariaoke
Jul 12th, 2003, 05:59 AM
internet relay chat...

http://mirc.co.uk or something... can't remember... go to download.com

anyway, basically you join servers and go to certain rooms/channels to download albums/songs/movies etc. it's kinda like DOS tho.. but it has faster d/l times than kazaa. :D

CC
Jul 12th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Okay, I'll look into this.

King Satan
Jul 12th, 2003, 06:05 AM
what the hell is all this about??? :eek:

Carolina Girl
Jul 12th, 2003, 06:16 AM
um..i didn't see that but i'm glad i haven't used my kazaa in like 2 monthes..i only have like two songs on there ...:o..i think i'm just gonna delete the whole thing

Cariaoke
Jul 12th, 2003, 06:50 AM
switch to kazaa lite.

kku
Jul 12th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Are you guys talking about the whole RIAA incident? IMO, I agree with Cari. There are so many more programs out there. Personally, I think KaZaA is shit. I never use it anymore (it's been over a year) and instead, I go to chatting forums like iMesh that are more reliable because when you download, the person you're sharing from will be online and won't cancel your downloads. Plus there's a bigger chance you'll find rarer/unreleased songs there as well :)

Fingon
Jul 12th, 2003, 08:02 AM
well, I did read they are going to track who is sharing music files and sue them.

in the first place, that's easier said than done. Fist of all it can have legal implicancies, it's hacking into someone's personal computer. It's like to say "I suspect this guy has stolen something mine so I am gonna look into his house to see if he has it", that's not acceptable without a court order, if somebody challenges them legally and it becomes a court action it could be the end for them.

Second, get a firewall, but a hardware one (not bullshit like zonealarm), a router with a build-in firewall would do it.

Third, all they can do is to obtain your IP address, unless they intend to look some other info inside your computer which is illegal. With the IP address they have to ask the ISP and the ISPs don't want to collaborate (remember the Verizon case). Of course the court can order them to do that but at the end, the phone companies are a lot more powerful than the music labels and the legal battle can delay this for years, when it's over the record companies can be history.

the music labels are managing to enrage everyone, the combined IQ of their executives is less than 20, they have angered the people that buy music and the piracy levels have increased rather than decrease, they are desperate and IMO have no clue about what to do, these are desperate measures and I don't think they are going anywhere with them.

irma
Jul 12th, 2003, 08:13 AM
I am having the lop thing in my computer and it doesn't go away. it's a spy thing too :o

irma
Jul 12th, 2003, 08:15 AM
I downloaded all the spy removers from the internet but that didn't work either

Fingon
Jul 12th, 2003, 08:18 AM
I downloaded all the spy removers from the internet but that didn't work either

try spybot, you can download it from www.download.com or http://security.kolla.de

irma
Jul 12th, 2003, 09:06 AM
I did already but only a part removed. the basic was still there :o (I mean that I get the lop page when I give a wrong url)

Fingon
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:24 AM
I did already but only a part removed. the basic was still there :o (I mean that I get the lop page when I give a wrong url)

what OS are you running? do you know how to modify the registry?

bee
Jul 13th, 2003, 01:53 PM
I used Kazaa lite...
its okay...

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 13th, 2003, 02:02 PM
I use Kazaa lite...i don't give a shit if they catch me and sue me...i'd Dick them :devil:. I also still use Imesh, Gnucleus, WinMx :hearts:..all very cool programs.

irma
Jul 13th, 2003, 02:22 PM
I have xp and no I don't know how to modify the register and that's probably a good thing :p

Dava
Jul 13th, 2003, 02:22 PM
I deleted Kazaa, but I still load it up every time I want to download, with a diffrent screename, and I never share.

Fingon
Jul 13th, 2003, 06:18 PM
I have xp and no I don't know how to modify the register and that's probably a good thing :p

ok, better don't mess up with that then :cool:

what you can do is to restore your system to a previous date, before the spyware was installed.

If you know when the spyware was installed go to start --> accessories --> system tools ---> system restore.

Follow the instructions of the wizard and pick a date before the spyware was installed. It takes a little while but it works fine, if you have installed or updated any program after that date you will have to do that again but you won't lose any data.