PDA

View Full Version : No offense 2 the people in africa but dont we have enough prombles ino our country?

andylover_16
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:07 PM
i feel really bad for the people of africa how almost all the children our without shelter and all the women have aids.....but dont we have enough promblems to deal with in our own country first! :confused:

[S@nti]
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:13 PM
:rolleyes:
yeah.. who cares about thousands of people dying everyday? :rolleyes: :tape: :o

arn
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean... once my neighbour fell off the ladder and could not move anymore, but I could not help him because I had so much difficulties making an asignment for school AND making dinner at the same time :eek:

propi
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:19 PM
*changes topic*
Hey arn, welcome to Spain soon!

[S@nti]
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:21 PM
come to seville arn ! :)

gmt
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:21 PM
In short, it depends to which extent you want to be an American (or a Frenchman, or a Spaniard, or a Belgian) more than a human being.

To me, I, myself, it is more immediately important to know that it's not going to rain tomorrow than to know that thousands of children are dying in Africa every day. On a human scale, there is no point in comparing.

It is only natural that as individuals we have to live on and care about the stuff our little lives are made of. But as citizens of a collectivity, of a nation, not only can we care about the plagues of mankind of which we are a (priviledged) part, we ought to. Of course we must deal with problems affecting our fellow citizens, but when a politician stops caring about those who might vote for him, you can be pretty sure that he doesn't give a damn about children starving in Africa. So let's just not trade millions of human lives - for nothing.

andylover_16
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:22 PM
no i mean i care about the people dying but everyone was putting so much pressure on w to do something about it weve already tried before and its just going to be the same i mean how bout our country first and then we can resort to the prombles in other countries!

arn
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Hey Propi :D

But after reading this thread I don't know if I will still go to Spain... You have to know we already have already problems enough to solve here in belgium :( ;)

Nah, I'm looking forward going :D I'm sure I will have a great time :D Oh, and tell your fellow countrymen/women to talk slower! :p ;)

propi
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:23 PM
come to seville arn ! :)
NO stay away from there Zaragoza is OK

propi
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Hey Propi :D

But after reading this thread I don't know if I will still go to Spain... You have to know we already have already problems enough to solve here in belgium :( ;)

Nah, I'm looking forward going :D I'm sure I will have a great time :D Oh, and tell your fellow countrymen/women to talk slower! :p ;)
Practise in the si quieres hablar español forum :p

andylover_16
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:27 PM
i mean i dont think he gives a damn either....he just wants to do what everyone is pressuring him to so he will be liked!....why do something we u dont genuinly want to???

[S@nti]
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:28 PM
pf Seville is better!! :)

propi
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Sevillian people are lazy, are dressed like bullfighters and Flamenco dancers and it's impossible understand them ;) :p

Central
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:35 PM
And they're always partying :p

[S@nti]
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:35 PM
pfpfpfpfpfpfpfpfp ... the last thing maybe is true but pf @ u :o

[S@nti]
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:36 PM
http://www.euba.sk/~ceila/images/sevilla.jpg
pf Central.. and this is a bad thing? :p

andylover_16
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:37 PM
?????????

andylover_16
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:39 PM
omg.....

M2k
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM
?????????

...you may be a bit young to understand this ( maybe I'm wrong), but even at the worst of times you should still help people, even if the help is limited.

M2k
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
btw..why are people changing the topic??

[S@nti]
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:52 PM
well we didnt like it so we prefer to talk about Spain! :)

wuneyej
Jul 11th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Helping the suffering around the globe is the very essence of being American, genuinely American.

gentenaire
Jul 11th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Helping the suffering around the globe is the very essence of being American, genuinely American.

Interesting though that lots of other countries give lots more/capita than Americans.

vs1
Jul 11th, 2003, 07:18 PM
We are all citizens of this earth and we cannot act like we live in isolation. Health problems effect everyone. If some African nations are having severe health/disease/social problems, then it's everyone's responsibility to assist to insure that the problems are contained and hopefully resolved. To think that it has nothing to do with us and to ignore it and just go about our business is both irresponsible and stupid. It will effect us in various ways. But even more important, we need to look beyond our immediate personal needs and to offer assistance to those who truly need it. I also don't think that helping neighbours and helping yourself are mutually exclusive. The US can do LOTS of things to improve its domestic problems AND it can also be a responsible international citizen. It's not one or the other.

wuneyej
Jul 11th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Interesting though that lots of other countries give lots more/capita than Americans.

True or not, it doesn't make what I said any less true.

Besides, individuals giving $20 bucks here, $100 there to charities...anywhere from 60-80% of that gets swallowed up by administration costs.

cyberix
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:43 PM
True or not, it doesn't make what I said any less true.

Besides, individuals giving $20 bucks here, $100 there to charities...anywhere from 60-80% of that gets swallowed up by administration costs.

Administration costs? How about corruption costs? Like those AIDS medications that were send to Senegal at cost and then were sold to Europe by the local officials. Don't get me started on that. :sad:

Rothes
Jul 12th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Believe you me Andy, Western Countries are quite capable looking and mending to their own little national dilemmas, they have the money and potency to fix them, however Countries with a limited amount of rescources, money tend not to be able to handle their chrisis.

If you Think countries aren't capable enough to help those ineed, then why do they help them and aid them anyway? If they can manage that, then they must be comfortable with the situation of lending a hand to help others/ If Europe, Australia, US, Canada etc didn't provide aid to these countries ineed, then these countries would be seriously screwed under, Thats why theres the UN, Donation and Charity Organizations, non profit organizations who provide for these countries, and countries willing to spend a little amount of their GDP on poorer nations.

Just imagine if we didn't aid and help these countries, it really would be far worse then what it actually is, and western governments are quite accomplished to look out for their own needs, but also sacrafice to help others.

Rothes
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:27 AM
when you consider the exchange rates of most, tine, you'll find that the numbers usually all level out. sometimes we give more, sometimes others do. the most important thing is the big picture. not the need of say one country at any given time, but instead, the grand need of all concurrently. in giving, it's the big picture that truly matters. and, in the big picture, the united states' giving is not too shabby. :)

When you consider America did give around 15 Billion Dollars for AIDS, it is pretty generous, I still reccomend sterilisation and castration though ;)